Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Maryland cuts off athletic relations with Georgetown
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Maryland cuts off athletic relations with Georgetown
Maryland AD Kevin Anderson is pissed that the Hoyas won't schedule the Terrapins in men's basketball, so he says Maryland will no longer schedule Georgetown in any sports.

Hate to say it, but the Hoyas position here is asinine. There is no good reason not to play Maryland in men's basketball. We should play every year, at the Verizon Center, with equal ticket distribution.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...georgetown
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 09:09 PM by quo vadis.)
02-21-2012 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: OT: Maryland cuts off athletic relations with Georgetown
Maryland's Athletic Dept. hasn't been much smarter, Steve. The Randy Edsall hire was a real winner. Wasn't it? 07-coffee3
02-21-2012 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Seems like a petulant decision on Maryland's part.
02-21-2012 01:50 PM
Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
Oh no! Not Maryland!...
02-21-2012 01:54 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I'm waiting for MD-Eastern Shore to stop playing Maryland in all sports because the Terrapins wont play them at home in basketball.
02-21-2012 02:06 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
Embarrassing for both sides. Maryland and Georgetown should play every single year. Anderson and the GT athletic director need to put aside their egos and do what is right.
02-21-2012 02:23 PM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(02-21-2012 02:23 PM)uconnbaseball Wrote:  Embarrassing for both sides. Maryland and Georgetown should play every single year. Anderson and the GT athletic director need to put aside their egos and do what is right.

You're right. Unfortunately, it seems like no one in college sports puts aside their egos any more. Case in point: Texas won't schedule A&M in football. Incredibly stupid.
02-21-2012 02:33 PM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Why is this a surprise to anyone. There are examples like this everywhere.
Here is a short list maybe everyone else can add to the list.
Ohio State will not play Cincinnati in basketball on any frequest basis.
Kentucky will not play Cincinnati
Indiana will not play Cincy
These games would be great for the region
Cincy has tried to schedule all of these schools which are with in 100 miles of each other. The answer is thanks but no thanks.
02-21-2012 02:35 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Maryland is cash-strapped in athletics, is dropping eight sports and after years of not wanting a series, now, they're supposedly all for it. Unfortunately, you don't negotiate by threats.

Follow the money.

http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapin...allace-loh
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 02:44 PM by DFW HOYA.)
02-21-2012 02:37 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(02-21-2012 02:35 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Why is this a surprise to anyone. There are examples like this everywhere.
Cincy has tried to schedule all of these schools which are with in 100 miles of each other. The answer is thanks but no thanks.

Schools that won't play UH (in state):

Texas (1, 3-game series '00-'02 since the SWC) not played since 2002.
Texas Tech (1, 2 game series '09-'10 since the SWC) last played in 2010.

But at least these guys have played us. Texas will never play us again. Tech may or may not depends on who you talk to. These guys however have not played us since the SWC fell apart.

Texas A&M: Not played since 1995.
Baylor: Not played since 1995.

Remains to be seen what TCU's stance will be. We have not played them since 2004 (with the exception of the 2007 Texas bowl) when they were in CUSA.

As far as basketball....

Texas: No games since 2000 and only 4 total since the SWC.
Texas A&M: No games since 2004 and only 2 total since the SWC.
Texas Tech: No games since 2003 and only 2 total since the SWC.
Baylor: No games since 2002 and that was the only game since the SWC.
TCU: Prior to this year we had played OOC only once since the SWC. Counting this year it is now up to 2....
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 02:58 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
02-21-2012 02:44 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
Hahaha, Maryland. What an adorable little stunt to get that hilarious Edsall/Sports Fix disaster out of the front page of the sports section.

I love our little bros. They need us so, so badly and aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
02-21-2012 03:02 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-21-2012 02:35 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Why is this a surprise to anyone. There are examples like this everywhere.

Yes, but in your cases it is obvious why those schools won't schedule Cincy. Those are big-time flagship universities that have little to gain by scheduling Cincy. Cincy, otoh, as a smaller-profile program, would gain by being on the same stage with them.

In contrast, Maryland and Georgetown are essentially equals as college basketball programs, and so it makes no sense for either to be petulant about playing the other.
02-21-2012 03:05 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-21-2012 01:50 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Seems like a petulant decision on Maryland's part.

It is. But, really, we should play them in men's college basketball.
02-21-2012 03:06 PM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
(02-21-2012 02:37 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Maryland is cash-strapped in athletics, is dropping eight sports and after years of not wanting a series, now, they're supposedly all for it. Unfortunately, you don't negotiate by threats.

Follow the money.

http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapin...allace-loh

The men's basketball teams have not met each other since 1993. Now all of a sudden Maryland is now threatening Georgetown instead of trying to work things out. Maryland has a lot more to worry about than scheduling a game with Georgetown.
02-21-2012 03:09 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(02-21-2012 03:05 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, but in your cases it is obvious why those schools won't schedule Cincy. Those are big-time flagship universities that have little to gain by scheduling Cincy. Cincy, otoh, as a smaller-profile program, would gain by being on the same stage with them.

In contrast, Maryland and Georgetown are essentially equals as college basketball programs, and so it makes no sense for either to be petulant about playing the other.

You could use the same argument about the Texas schools and us but come on man!

We schedule schools that would be considered "beneath" us. In your world we would never put LaTech (a good team), North Texas, USTA, etc. on our schedule because if we lose it’s our fault and if we win we should have.

That kind of logic is what is wrong with major college athletics these days.

Dominance by perception and not by reality! Killing major college athletics for decades now.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 03:31 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
02-21-2012 03:10 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
(02-21-2012 02:44 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  Texas A&M: Not played since 1995.

There's a few ways to look at it. A&M probably looks down on poor ol UH...and they don't need you to penetrate the Houston market. They're well represented on their own.

Baylor's interesting. They've been pretty crummy up until they took your coach, so you could make an argument they're avoiding you. Then again, some of those years weren't UH's proudest moments. I wonder if UH even has any interest in playing a team that's been accused of politicking you out of the last Big 12 spot?
02-21-2012 03:11 PM
Advertisement

GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(02-21-2012 03:11 PM)99Tiger Wrote:  

There's a few ways to look at it. A&M probably looks down on poor ol UH...and they don't need you to penetrate the Houston market. They're well represented on their own.

Baylor's interesting. They've been pretty crummy up until they took your coach, so you could make an argument they're avoiding you. Then again, some of those years weren't UH's proudest moments. I wonder if UH even has any interest in playing a team that's been accused of politicking you out of the last Big 12 spot?

We are open to all takers among those "big boys". Willing and ready to prove the naysayers wrong or go down fighting.

Problem is we are never given the chance.

A&M uses the market penetration argument all the time. Problem with that is we were ok to play before the SWC but not after for some reason....

In Mens BB we played 33 times prior to the SWC and twice after....
In FB we played 14 times (in the first 18 years of our program) prior to the SWC including ever year between 1952 (our first meeting) -1965 and never again.....
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 03:23 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
02-21-2012 03:13 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(02-21-2012 03:13 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(02-21-2012 03:11 PM)99Tiger Wrote:  

We are open to all takers among those "big boys". Willing and ready to prove the naysayers wrong or go down fighting.

Problem is we are never given the chance.

A&M uses the market penetration argument all the time. Problem with that is we were ok to play before the SWC but not after for some reason....

In Mens BB we played 33 times prior to the SWC and twice after....
In FB we played 14 times (in the first 18 years of our program) prior to the SWC including ever year between 1952 (our first meeting) -1965 and never again.....

Totally different world from the early 70's to today.

I wouldn't be surprised to see aTm start playing Houston home and home in the near future because I highly doubt any of the Big XII teams will play them anytime soon.
02-21-2012 03:42 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(02-21-2012 03:05 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Contradicting yourself in the same post? MD is an ACC flagship school, GTown is a private school.

Cincinnati is a flagship school and the largest employer in SW Ohio. OSU has avoided UC since we beat them in consecutive National Championship games. UC gets more by beating a highly ranked Syracuse, or Louisville team. Bob Knight scheduled UC, we played Purdue OOC. OSU will play UC in football as long as it is in Columbus.
02-21-2012 04:04 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(02-21-2012 03:42 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  Totally different world from the early 70's to today.

Yes and no.

(02-21-2012 03:42 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised to see aTm start playing Houston home and home in the near future because I highly doubt any of the Big XII teams will play them anytime soon.

They had an open game as do we this fall and they picked Sam Houston State.

That should tell you all you need to know. It's Texas politics among other things. You would need to live down here to understand.

It's the whole beneath us argument/who have you played?

Well if nobody will play us then we won't know if we are right or wrong because we don't have the chance to prove them right or wrong. That is why schools fight kick and claw their way into the AQ's (besides the money) its perception.

Down the road they "might" play us but it will be because they perceive us as a worthy opponent though at our core little will have changed.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012 05:04 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
02-21-2012 04:13 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.