Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

THE OFFICIAL 2011 PIZZA BOWL THREAD!!
BroncoJayson Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WMU
RE: THE OFFICIAL 2011 PIZZA BOWL THREAD!!
Yet again, we fall short. I'd like to see whoever called some of those plays be forced to sit in the opponent penalty box over at Lawson and be forced to take abuse from the Lunatics for twelve hours. That was our game to win or lose, and we just chucked it away and wasted opportunities.

Northern found our glass jaw and laid it bare for the rest of the MAC to see.

Is it just me, or is the Wrigleyville curse creeping over from Chicago to afflict Kalamazoo?
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 12:30 AM by BroncoJayson.)
12-28-2011 12:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Oddly enough, we were winning at some point in all 13 games we played this season.
12-28-2011 12:38 AM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
[quote I'd like to see whoever called some of those plays be forced to sit in the opponent penalty box over at Lawson and be forced to take abuse from the Lunatics for twelve hours. That was our game to win or lose, and we just chucked it away and wasted opportunities.[/quote]

Who doesn't know that Cubit calls every play???
12-28-2011 12:47 AM
BroncoJayson Offline
Water Engineer

I think I still have a mark on my face from when I facepalmed after Carder fumbled. I just turned off the television and went to go find my hockey schedule so I could find a sport we're actually serious about winning at.

Serious teams don't make those kind of decisions when it comes to a bowl game- I'd expect the same play called three times in a row from my ten-year-old cousin when he plays Madden for the first time.

Not to mention the obvious idea that the coaching staff would rather gamble on Carder's arm as a reason as why we don't need a running game. If we could run a balanced offense instead of a "herp derp toss the ball and hope for the best" offense, this season would have been different. Carder is good, but he's getting predictable, and NIU proved it.
12-28-2011 12:51 AM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Watched it on the DVR last night... pretty much the quintessential Bronco Football game on TV against a BCS opponent.

Stupid penalties (in the beginning - we did do better with that as the game went on), boneheaded play calls, and forced too many plays.

The odd thing to me was that, for the first time I can recall, we actually seemed to have luck on our side. I know there were at least three penalties/spots/plays that I was totally surprised to see in our favor. Thought that might be the break we needed but alas, it was more of the same.
12-28-2011 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Those fumble recoveries after the turnovers were unreal. TWICE! That was incredibly lucky.
12-28-2011 10:23 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

As frustrating as last night's game was, I'll still take that in a heartbeat over that awful Texas Bowl game. At least the LCPB kept the national audience's interest to the final minute.
12-28-2011 12:53 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:As frustrating as last night's game was, I'll still take that in a heartbeat over that awful Texas Bowl game.

Very true. I went to that Texas Bowl game being one of only 500 fans was not a good experience. At least with Purdue we showed we are not only on par with a BCS bowl-eligible team, but also showed that our potential's where we SHOULD have won. A lot better than getting creamed by another mid-major across the country who's having an up year.
12-28-2011 02:55 PM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(12-27-2011 08:15 PM)Nacho Wrote:  I'm real sick of being disappointed.

This. A thousand times, this.
12-28-2011 06:07 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(12-28-2011 06:07 PM)broncofan1 Wrote:  
(12-27-2011 08:15 PM)Nacho Wrote:  I'm real sick of being disappointed.

This. A thousand times, this.

I'm not all that disappointed. We were in a position to win against a program with 10 times the budget, 3 times the facilities, and 5 or 6 times as many 3 star or higher recruits.

Some of you sound like we were playing a middle of the pack Sun Belt team. We may have had the best two players on the field in Carder and White, but they had several guys at several positions who trumped our players.
12-28-2011 07:39 PM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

Totally agree CD! I think Cubit's getting bagged on way too much. Some of you people need to realize we competed with every BCS team on our schedule this year. The resource difference between WMU and these teams is staggering. Check out how much each Big 10 program is pulling down form the Big Ten Network every season. Even freakin' Purdue's Danny Hope makes about a million bucks a year (over TWICE as much as Cubit). And, Hope just got a two year extension after going 15-21 in 3 seasons! Their assistants probably make double the pay or ours. Ran into several Purdue fans after the game and they were basically unanimous in their praise of our program ("I had no idea you guys were that good"). Do I disagree with many of Cubit's decisions? You bet! But this is unreal. Some of you people treat him like he's Jim Culhane or something. We can do better for sure but we need to get real about our expectations and operating budget.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 08:25 PM by Broncos83.)
12-28-2011 08:19 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-28-2011 07:39 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  I'm not all that disappointed. We were in a position to win against a program with 10 times the budget, 3 times the facilities, and 5 or 6 times as many 3 star or higher recruits.

Some of you sound like we were playing a middle of the pack Sun Belt team. We may have had the best two players on the field in Carder and White, but they had several guys at several positions who trumped our players.

This may be your biggest (I'll give benefit of the doubt) exaggeration ever.

Have you been to West Lafayette-seen Purdue's facillities?

Do you really think they're getting five or six "3 star or higher" recruits, much less that many times ours?

I have first-hand knowledge. One of our former players who I'm still close to is on their "all-time Greats" site.

I call SERIOUS BS. Defend Cubit without - ahem - stretching the truth.

Again, we lost to a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team that beat MIDDLE TENNESSEE by three, lost to a 4-8 Rice team, and was playing without their starting MLBer, two WRs, and at least one RB.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 08:25 PM by MajorHoople.)
12-28-2011 08:21 PM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

I know Siller (#2) from Purdue was extremely highly rated coming out of Orchard Lake St. Mary's. An absolute beast in high school. As for 3 star recruits, we MAY get 1 a year. My guess is Purdue gets at least 5 or 6 times as many. As for their facilities, please....there is no comparison. We have a very nice indoor facility but our outdoor practice situation is far from ideal. Stadium wise, Ross-Ade is twice the size. I read on line that the Purdue fans are bitchin' about their average attendance dropping to around 42k this year (a long-time low). We'd be thrilled to average half that (as would any MAC program).
12-28-2011 08:35 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Quote:Do you really think they're getting five or six "3 star or higher" recruits,
much less that many times ours?
We have two 3 star recruits this year. They have 20 and one 4 star recruit.
That pattern holds true for almost every one of the last 5 years.

Quote:Again, we lost to a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team
that beat MIDDLE TENNESSEE by three, lost to a 4-8 Rice team, and was playing without
their starting MLBer, two WRs, and at least one RB.
Who beat Ohio State, and Ohio State beat Wisconsin. If you keep connecting the dots you
can probably crown Stoneybrook College as the best team in the land.

Quote:Have you been to West Lafayette-seen Purdue's facillities?
Yes, I've been there, but that was 20 years ago. Even then it was far larger.
Today, after a 70 million dollar renovation it's even larger, and has
a huge pressbox. It currently seats 69,200.

[Image: header-purdue.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 08:47 PM by Chipdip.)
12-28-2011 08:39 PM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

By the way, the Big Ten Network payout to EACH member school based on the current contract is $22.6 million PER YEAR. I'm searching for our comparable source of revenue. Please let me know when you think of it.
12-28-2011 08:43 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(12-28-2011 08:43 PM)Broncos83 Wrote:  By the way, the Big Ten Network payout to EACH member school based on the current contract is $22.6 million PER YEAR. I'm searching for our comparable source of revenue. Please let me know when you think of it.

WLLA TV broadcasts Bronco Review. WLLA has an audience of about 300 shut-ins. The revenue has to be astronomical.
12-28-2011 09:02 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(12-28-2011 09:02 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  
(12-28-2011 08:43 PM)Broncos83 Wrote:  By the way, the Big Ten Network payout to EACH member school based on the current contract is $22.6 million PER YEAR. I'm searching for our comparable source of revenue. Please let me know when you think of it.

WLLA TV broadcasts Bronco Review. WLLA has an audience of about 300 shut-ins. The revenue has to be astronomical.

And my wife thought I was the only one who watched! Maybe the only one who dvr's...
12-28-2011 09:20 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not talking stadium and press box. I'm talking about infrastructure, stuff players use-recruits see and judge: locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, etc. Purdue is not that far ahead of us in those areas.
12-29-2011 08:19 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
I didn't realize their stadium was why our team gave up two onside kicks, or the press box was why our QB forced absolutely dumb turnovers and pump faked on a blitz, or their TV deal is why the running game gets 5 yards a carry but only attempted 7 times. Damn shame it was a neutral site game with WAC officials, or you could throw your hands up at the Big Ten refs, too.

Losing to Michigan by 30 or Notre Dame by 27 means you bring out the disparity. Losing by 5 while the team made absolutely mystifying decisions that left points on the field and gave the ball away means you look in a mirror.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2011 08:34 AM by bronconick.)
12-29-2011 08:33 AM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

Please...Purdue and any Big Ten team is miles ahead of us in terms of revenue, facilities, resources, tradition, support and exposure. Have you ever been to our outdoor practice facility? It's not exactly what I would call a great location. What Cubit and other MAC coaches have been able to do on occasion against the "big boys" is actually pretty amazing when you think of it. There's no comparison between MAC teams and Big 10 teams from an overall "program" perspective. Night and Day differences. As for Carder, the guy was under constant pressure from some great athletes. I'd say he played well. As for the onside kicks, our kids just froze and didn't go after the ball aggressively (as coached). Didn't execute plain and simple. Remember, these are kids that need to make split second decisions. Sometimes you make the wrong choice.
12-29-2011 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.