I Root For: USM & G5
THREE C-USA teams ranked ahead of the HIGHEST ranked BE team in BCS poll
*CBS's projected BCS standings for 11/13/11

#11 Houston 10-0 (C-USA)
#18 Southern Miss 9-1 (C-USA)
#26 Tulsa 7-3 (C-USA)
#27 WVU 7-3 (highest ranked BE team)

Projected BCS standings 11/13/11
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 06:53 PM by TTT.)
11-13-2011 06:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: THREE C-USA teams ranked ahead of the HIGHEST ranked BE team in BCS poll
Too bad it seems everybody's too short sighted to stay where they are. Banowsky screwed his own league settling for a weak a$$ TV deal for CUSA. That's enough reason for CUSA teams to jump. Sad but that's the only legitimate long term reason to go to the BE.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 06:56 PM by blunderbuss.)
11-13-2011 06:54 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The Big East is much more competitive than C-USA. Syracuse one of if not the worst team in the league, blew out West Virginia and could make a bowl. EVERY Big East team could make a bowl this season. The Big East the past 3 seasons, has been the most competitive and deepest conference.

Big East standings... 1/8 teams under .500

Cincinnati, 7-2
Rutgers, 7-3
West Virginia, 7-3
Louisville, 5-5
Pittsburgh, 5-5
Connecticut, 4-5
South Florida, 5-4
Syracuse, 5-5

C-USA standings... 7/12 teams under .500

Houston, 10-0
Southern Miss, 9-1
Tulsa, 7-3
SMU, 6-4
UTEP, 5-5
ECU, 4-6
Marshall, 4-6
UCF, 4-6
Rice, 3-7
UAB, 2-8
Memphis, 2-8
Tulane, 2-9

Pretty obvious which conference is better...
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 07:35 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
11-13-2011 07:28 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Crickets
11-13-2011 08:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Houston is essentially a BE team. And the BE could always add USM if BYU or one of the academies decline. Then C-USA is in bad shape.
11-13-2011 08:36 PM
ricefansite Offline
1st String

I Root For: CUSA
Syracuse also struggled with Tulane on the road and the Green Wave are one of the worst CUSA teams. In terms of Houston, they're a BCS team this year (probably depending on how they do in their final 2-3 games) but they also have a superb senior class leading the way for them. Let's see how they rebuild next year before anointing them the savoir. Houston without Keenum last year was not very good. There are issues with UH beyond wins and losses. If they were the savior, they would have been invited to the Big 12 when that conference first began.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 08:50 PM by ricefansite.)
11-13-2011 08:50 PM
Advertisement

New York Bull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
bottom feeder USF toyed around with middle of the pack UTEP.

anecdotal stuff doesn't matter.
11-13-2011 08:53 PM
NukeLaCoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Houston without Keenum was definitely not very good. Combine losing Keenum with losing his backup in the same game and having to go with 2 true freshmen who had not taken 1st team reps before they were forced onto the field and you can understand why the season was bad. Last year was no indication of what UH would look like after Keenum. And yes there are issues beyond wins and losses but I am finding fewer of those as time goes along. We sell out our small stadium, we will be breaking ground on our new stadium this year, fundraising is going through the roof, academics are picking up big time and donations are increasing across the board. There is a lot to improve and there is a lot we will be working on to improve but as it stands now we are in great shape and one of the healthiest athletic departments in CUSA. As far as next year, we will still be the favorites to win our division and our true freshman who finished out last year will be the best QB in the division.
11-13-2011 09:00 PM
Steelbeard Offline
OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN

I Root For: ECU
For a non-AQ conference, everybody beating each other up is indicative of how crappy that conference is. If there is a dominant team, it's because everybody else sucks.

For the AQs, WOW LOOK AT ALL THAT DEPTH or IT'S EVEN MORE AMAZING THAT X IS RANKED BECAUSE THE CONFERENCE IS SO TOUGH, THAT 4-8 TEAM COULD HAVE BEEN 8-4 IN ANOTHER CONFERENCE.
11-13-2011 09:25 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

Houston is a big east team though =p
11-13-2011 09:59 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(11-13-2011 08:53 PM)New York Bull Wrote:  bottom feeder USF toyed around with middle of the pack UTEP.

anecdotal stuff doesn't matter.

sure, a couple calls went the bcs way, a couple interceptions in the last 6 minutes returned for TD's.... I wish we would have had our starting QB for that game... but oh well, we're not middle of the pack in Cusa, we're 2-4 you non intelligent person
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 10:38 PM by randaddyminer.)
11-13-2011 10:36 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Another lets hate the Big East conference from everybody that would join in an minute if asked. Look I am all for a playoff and believe Houston and Southern Miss deserve a shot to play for the championship. Same as the Big East champ if its Rutgers, Cincinnati, or WVU.

I always thought C-USA was a good league, would have loved for Cincinnati to stay if it offered a BCS bid, more money, and the chance to play on tv every week.
11-13-2011 10:46 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Normally the a typical USM poster on here starts a thread about how this conference or that conference has more ranked teams or higher ranked teams than the Big East. We get it, the Big East in its current form has had horrid performance the past 2 seasons. Keep in mind that Big East Football has still been significantly better than CUSA football since 2004 though except for the last 2 years. Regardless, the CFB viewing population would rather see a BE team make a BCS bowl over a CUSA team. Why? Because there are more fans of BE schools than CUSA schools. If CUSA had the larger fanbases that allowed that conference to get the better TV ratings, then the BCS would figure out a way to include CUSA into the BCS and possibly send the BE packing. The primary reason for the bowls is not for a playoff - it has always been about the TV ratings and the match ups against more established schools. Unless your school is a true powerhouse on the level of a true BCS buster, no one wants to see your school on TV during the bowl games. That is reality, and you guys better learn to accept that. It's why your TV contracts suck because no one wants to watch your schools on TV.
11-13-2011 11:25 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(11-13-2011 11:25 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Normally the a typical USM poster on here starts a thread about how this conference or that conference has more ranked teams or higher ranked teams than the Big East. We get it, the Big East in its current form has had horrid performance the past 2 seasons. Keep in mind that Big East Football has still been significantly better than CUSA football since 2004 though except for the last 2 years. Regardless, the CFB viewing population would rather see a BE team make a BCS bowl over a CUSA team. Why? Because there are more fans of BE schools than CUSA schools. If CUSA had the larger fanbases that allowed that conference to get the better TV ratings, then the BCS would figure out a way to include CUSA into the BCS and possibly send the BE packing. The primary reason for the bowls is not for a playoff - it has always been about the TV ratings and the match ups against more established schools. Unless your school is a true powerhouse on the level of a true BCS buster, no one wants to see your school on TV during the bowl games. That is reality, and you guys better learn to accept that. It's why your TV contracts suck because no one wants to watch your schools on TV.
I don't know about that. I suspect that fans of all the CUSA schools would turn on their TV's to watch any CUSA team beat any BCS school. That's a lot of TV's.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011 11:40 PM by Claw.)
11-13-2011 11:39 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(11-13-2011 11:39 PM)Claw Wrote:  
(11-13-2011 11:25 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Normally the a typical USM poster on here starts a thread about how this conference or that conference has more ranked teams or higher ranked teams than the Big East. We get it, the Big East in its current form has had horrid performance the past 2 seasons. Keep in mind that Big East Football has still been significantly better than CUSA football since 2004 though except for the last 2 years. Regardless, the CFB viewing population would rather see a BE team make a BCS bowl over a CUSA team. Why? Because there are more fans of BE schools than CUSA schools. If CUSA had the larger fanbases that allowed that conference to get the better TV ratings, then the BCS would figure out a way to include CUSA into the BCS and possibly send the BE packing. The primary reason for the bowls is not for a playoff - it has always been about the TV ratings and the match ups against more established schools. Unless your school is a true powerhouse on the level of a true BCS buster, no one wants to see your school on TV during the bowl games. That is reality, and you guys better learn to accept that. It's why your TV contracts suck because no one wants to watch your schools on TV.
I don't know about that. I suspect that fans of all the CUSA schools would turn on their TV's to watch any CUSA team beat any BCS school. That's a lot of TV's.

Not trying to be a dick, but that's a lot of eggs in the Marshall beating Louisville basket.
11-13-2011 11:51 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(11-13-2011 11:39 PM)Claw Wrote:  

if their own markets (ucf, houston, and smu) don't watch them, what makes anyone think that somebody outside their market will watch them?
11-14-2011 01:30 AM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
(11-13-2011 07:28 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The Big East is much more competitive than C-USA. Syracuse one of if not the worst team in the league, blew out West Virginia and could make a bowl. EVERY Big East team could make a bowl this season. The Big East the past 3 seasons, has been the most competitive and deepest conference.

Cincinnati, 7-2
Rutgers, 7-3
West Virginia, 7-3
Louisville, 5-5
Pittsburgh, 5-5
Connecticut, 4-5
South Florida, 5-4
Syracuse, 5-5

Houston, 10-0
Southern Miss, 9-1
Tulsa, 7-3
SMU, 6-4
UTEP, 5-5
ECU, 4-6
Marshall, 4-6
UCF, 4-6
Rice, 3-7
UAB, 2-8
Memphis, 2-8
Tulane, 2-9

Great point, love your stat. Most other conferences are perceived to be 'better' when they ride between 1-3 flagship programs. Our recent 'parity' keeps us from having that, but across the board our conference is doing well. We'll always get beaten up in the media though, if we don't have a team or two near the top of the poll.
11-14-2011 09:54 AM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(11-13-2011 08:36 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  Houston is essentially a BE team. And the BE could always add USM if BYU or one of the academies decline. Then C-USA is in bad shape.

really? when did Houston get their invite?
11-14-2011 12:10 PM
TxTiger79 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers

Folding@NCAAbbs
(11-14-2011 09:54 AM)Bull Wrote:  
(11-13-2011 07:28 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The Big East is much more competitive than C-USA. Syracuse one of if not the worst team in the league, blew out West Virginia and could make a bowl. EVERY Big East team could make a bowl this season. The Big East the past 3 seasons, has been the most competitive and deepest conference.

Cincinnati, 7-2
Rutgers, 7-3
West Virginia, 7-3
Louisville, 5-5
Pittsburgh, 5-5
Connecticut, 4-5
South Florida, 5-4
Syracuse, 5-5

Houston, 10-0
Southern Miss, 9-1
Tulsa, 7-3
SMU, 6-4
UTEP, 5-5
ECU, 4-6
Marshall, 4-6
UCF, 4-6
Rice, 3-7
UAB, 2-8
Memphis, 2-8
Tulane, 2-9

Great point, love your stat. Most other conferences are perceived to be 'better' when they ride between 1-3 flagship programs. Our recent 'parity' keeps us from having that, but across the board our conference is doing well. We'll always get beaten up in the media though, if we don't have a team or two near the top of the poll.

Quote:3. Is the Big East really that bad?
It’s not just the worst of the six BCS conference by a large margin, it’s inferior to both Conference USA and the Mountain West, at least top to bottom. Look at all eight Big East teams and try to find a quality win. There are maybe two. Maybe. South Florida beat Notre Dame. The Irish represent the only Top 25 non-conference victory the Big East owns. Go ahead and count Syracuse’s victory over 5-5 Wake Forest as a quality win, too. But that’s it. The good news? Bad football means parity, and if UConn can win one of its remaining three games the Big East will become the first league since the Big Ten in 1904 to have every team win at least five games.

NJ Star Ledger
11-14-2011 01:33 PM
UCFmike Offline
Special Teams

Big east does suck, but add Houston, SMU, UCF, Boise and possibly BYU and now you have a great league that is leaps and bounds ahead of CUSA/MWC alliance.
11-14-2011 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.