Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kansas Game Thread
Bookmark and Share
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Kansas Game Thread
(09-10-2011 10:51 PM)NSwanson89 Wrote:  Our defense needs some Miracle socks

They looked like the vegetables that got put through that food processor they were advertising too.
09-10-2011 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
2010Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
Maybe the first example of our no huttle offense hurting us. T.O.P. well on their side, and we looked gassed at time on defense. Bottom line, it is what it is, and hopefully Melvin is back, and all those guys who went down end up being healthy when they wake up tomorrow morning, including T.D., Moore, and Progar.
09-10-2011 11:02 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(09-10-2011 10:36 PM)COHUSKIE Wrote:  
(09-10-2011 10:18 PM)NIUFAN Wrote:  We are not as good as we would have hoped this season (on D). Our offense is special and we should enjoy that as fans (especially Harnish). I still think that this team has what it takes to win the MAC and that is all that matters with a rookie coach.

Well after seeing Toledo today I do not see any way we beat them with this defense. The leak is bigger than the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.
I am not so sure we get past WMU either. They will run all over our defense. At least we don't play Temple.
09-10-2011 11:05 PM
NSwanson89 Offline
Special Teams

Man. You guys are SOO quick to jump right off. Sometimes a team needs an loss like this. Wouldnt be surprised to see the D play respectably well against UW
09-10-2011 11:08 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-10-2011 11:08 PM)NSwanson89 Wrote:  Man. You guys are SOO quick to jump right off. Sometimes a team needs an loss like this. Wouldnt be surprised to see the D play respectably well against UW

I was thinking the same, beat Wisky!!! We will come back.
09-10-2011 11:10 PM
niuliger09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-10-2011 11:08 PM)NSwanson89 Wrote:  Man. You guys are SOO quick to jump right off. Sometimes a team needs an loss like this. Wouldnt be surprised to see the D play respectably well against UW

I think that because of the nature of college football, where "every game counts", this loss stings a lot.

Expectations were really high for a lot of NIU fans, at least on this board.

Ppl here, myself included, truly believed we had a team good enough to make it to a BCS bowl.

Unfortunately, that scenario is very unlikely after tonight.

In the end, I think we are just really disappointed that we found out we aren't as good as we thought we were.
09-10-2011 11:14 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

We won't have time to practice playing against UW's offense because we'll have to spend the whole week re-learning how to tackle. And I don't think our inexperienced D is going to go away. It may get better, but it won't be enough against UW. They have a really long way to go.
09-10-2011 11:15 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
I love what Doeren said after the game:

"We've got to do a better job of getting off the field on third down, and tackling and getting off blocks."

But uh...we tied our shoes well?
09-10-2011 11:18 PM
Spudskie Offline
Your intrepid message board lurker

I Root For: Well, me!
(09-10-2011 11:15 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  We won't have time to practice playing against UW's offense because we'll have to spend the whole week re-learning how to tackle. And I don't think our inexperienced D is going to go away. It may get better, but it won't be enough against UW. They have a really long way to go.

Wisky has to be licking their chops right now. It will be like the EMU game last year.

Except that we will be EMU.
09-10-2011 11:20 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-10-2011 11:14 PM)niuliger09 Wrote:  

I think that because of the nature of college football, where "every game counts", this loss stings a lot.

Expectations were really high for a lot of NIU fans, at least on this board.

Ppl here, myself included, truly believed we had a team good enough to make it to a BCS bowl.

Unfortunately, that scenario is very unlikely after tonight.

In the end, I think we are just really disappointed that we found out we aren't as good as we thought we were.

Can't say I ever thought we'd make it to a BCS bowl. But I thought our defense wouldn't absolutely destroy us. At least, not against Kansas. Well, I did guess Kansas would score in the low 30s, so I was off a bit but not that much. What's disappointing to me is that we looked very much like the teams several years ago that had a good offense but couldn't get off the field on defense, and it destroyed our chances in the MAC. I think I agree that the hurry-up offense can make it that much harder on our defense. I think it did help our offense though.
09-10-2011 11:25 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(09-10-2011 10:09 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  
(09-10-2011 10:04 PM)oilgasusa Wrote:  After this game I think I have had enough, told my wife I'm finally done. Will go to the Wisconsin game, and suffer thru the loss. That's it, my heart can't take anymore. I really feel for Harnish. Can you imagine how bad we are without him. Just not worth the aggravation anymore. Said I would donate to the IPF, but am backing out. Life is too short, I've had it!

Come on Oilgas, you are a great fan but don't get yourself too caught up in this. It was a great college football game, we were just outmanned on defense but the kids played a hell of a game and did not give up the entire game. They are a team that you can be proud to support. They are just not a t the level that we hoped they were and it is going to take some better players on D before they get there.
+1 Watched the game on tape delay. I have to agree that we can never seem to win the close games. But our offense is amazing. Harnish was great, but he isn't the only reason. We have an amazing offensive line and unbelievable group of wide receivers. We're going to cause every team fits on offense. Now it's up to Coach D to straighten things out on defense. He is a defensive minded coach-let's see what he can do. Just making a good solid tackle and wrapping up a few more times would have won this game.
09-10-2011 11:25 PM
NSwanson89 Offline
Special Teams

Yet in a couple days you all will be spouting off about how you really think NIU can do better than expected. Those of you that had BCS hopes, get real. I thought we were good enough to beat Kansas too and its clear we were "right there." We've got a bit to go before we crash the BCS like BSU or TCU. How many years like this did it take for them to get there? I'm young and willing to be patient. I still am confident this team can win the MACC. Lets start by winning that elusive thing.
09-10-2011 11:30 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
I am so drained right now....all that adrenalin pumping...then the big letdown.
I'm not quitting on the team though. I'm in for the lifelong haul. For better or for worse.
I have to agree with niuliger this time...maybe "we are just really disappointed that we found out we aren't as good as we thought we were." Expectations were very high after last season.

There's a lot of work to be done this week by the D that's for sure. Maybe there will be a wakeup call for them when they see the game film. We can only hope.
09-10-2011 11:52 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

Come on guys. Are we that shocked? I know many of you were practically predicting we would beat Wisconsin but in the back of our minds we knew our defense was bad. I mean yes, worse than expected, but I this is when we can be happy we play in the MAC and won't be playing very many quality offenses. Hopefully our D will improve and so will our offense and we can somehow pull out a MACC.
09-10-2011 11:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Huskie97 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: H-U-S-K-I-E-S
(09-10-2011 09:49 PM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  I thought the defense would be better with Doeren. But it's not... It's worse. It was unimaginably bad.

Boy, Army must really suck.
09-11-2011 12:20 AM
diskostew22 Offline
Bench Warmer

here is what I saw.. Anyone remember the South Florida Bowl Game. We had a decent defense but still could not stop them. to big to fast...

college Football is simple.. BCS teams get better more athletic recruits. They were quicker and in most cases bigger then us. I saw more runnin over our defense then anything.

Thats college football, will it be different with Wisc, a little they are your more tradition Big midwest team big linemen on both side pound and grind it out.

Will our defense be better in the MAC yeah, I think they will but we will have to see.

is there a fast forward button .. i'd like to just get to conference play. I find the inequalities between BCS and Non-AQ teams just basically shameful as a society. It should be about good sports but is so much about the money.
09-11-2011 12:26 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-11-2011 12:20 AM)Huskie97 Wrote:  
(09-10-2011 09:49 PM)badmoonrising_13 Wrote:  I thought the defense would be better with Doeren. But it's not... It's worse. It was unimaginably bad.

Boy, Army must really suck.

Army's too 1-dimensional and not that big. Thus our LBs were not exposed.
09-11-2011 12:27 AM
SiegInc Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU, Auburn
Comment from Wisc. fan on their board:

"2011 Northern Illinois = 2010 Michigan Wolverines

NIU will put up a bunch of points on most defenses (including ours) but their defense is a joke.

We'll find out how well conditioned our guys are on D next week as NIU barely takes 10 seconds to snap the ball after the previous play."
09-11-2011 12:28 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(09-11-2011 12:28 AM)SiegInc Wrote:  Comment from Wisc. fan on their board:

"2011 Northern Illinois = 2010 Michigan Wolverines

NIU will put up a bunch of points on most defenses (including ours) but their defense is a joke.

We'll find out how well conditioned our guys are on D next week as NIU barely takes 10 seconds to snap the ball after the previous play."

That's about right. Although, our D spent a while practicing for the option offense, and only the last week preparing for a conventional O. Another week and some film to correct mistakes will help some.
09-11-2011 12:30 AM
houstonhuskie Offline
All American

this d is lacking two things...coaching and talent....and i am afraidthat neihter will improve thoughout the season
09-11-2011 01:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.