Bookmark and Share
socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
Syracuse Point Shaving?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/59371...ng-scandal

College Basketball: Syracuse Basketball Point Shaving Scandal
By TJ Corbs (Correspondent) on February 1, 2011

Are Syracuse players shaving points for gambling purposes?

YNN's Andy Adamson has reported that Syracuse men's basketball players, Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters and James Southerland are involved in a point shaving scandal at Syracuse. http://twitter.com/YNNAndyAdamson

Syracuse started the season 18-0, with some very impressive wins, but have lost their last four games.

Most have chalked the slump up to life in the Big East, as the best conference in the land is a brutal gauntlet night after night. Three of the four losses came to power schools, Pitt, Villanova and Marquette.

However, there was one very odd loss in the mix. Syracuse was blown out at home by Seton Hall. Many called this the worst home loss for a top 10 team post New Year's in the history of college basketball. Seton Hall is a horrible team, with a coach who is in over his head, and players who have quit on the season. Seton Hall is so bad they may be kicked out of the Big East.

College basketball has a bad history with point shaving scandals. Schools like CUNY and Saint Joseph's (PA) have thrown away seasons for a couple of extra dollars. The one school that is most notorious for shaving points is Boston College, who has had major scandals in both basketball and football in the past 30 years.

It will be interesting to see how Syracuse responds to this scandal. Will they use it as motivation to succeed? Will it ultimately be the downfall of the team? Will the players involved face disciplinary action?

Scoop Jardine with Syracuse Coach, Jim Boeheim. Jardine is in the midst of a point shaving scandal at Syracuse.
Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
It should be noted that Dion Waiters did not play in Syracuse's last game, his first DNP of the season. Waiters was a 42% shooter prior to this four game stretch, and he had only topped 7 shots in a game once during a hot shooting 5 for 8 effort against Iona. In his last four games, Waiters was shooting 16%, including his season highs for shot attempts for his career. Waters career high had been 4 three point attempts in a game. Waiters averaged 4 three point attempts per game over this stretch.

James Southerland also sat out Syracuse's last game, after averaging approximately 20 mpg during the Big East season. Southerland, a frontcout rebounder, grabbed only 3 rebounds during this suspect stretch. This is lower than his per game average on the boards entering this stretch, and well below the 8 boards he grabbed in his game immediately prior to this stretch.

Also of great interest is Scoop Jardine's shooting over this 4 game stretch. Jardine was shooting 44% entering this 4 game stretch. During the 4 games, Jardine has gone 14 for 43 (32%). Coincidence?

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 11:52 PM by socTHEgreat.)
02-01-2011 11:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Syracuse Point Shaving?
That is one helluva accusation. For the sake of the BEast, and SU, I sure as hell hope that it is baseless.

02-02-2011 12:11 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
The post has been taken down. This Adamson kid is screwed unless it holds up...which it won't.

02-02-2011 12:13 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
I just went to the links and both the story and the twitter are still up and going as of 0015.

02-02-2011 12:15 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Really? I did not see it and he was getting flayed in the comments for it vanishing. Better have a lock solid source or he'll need a new career soon.

02-02-2011 12:22 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Well, as of this moment, the twitter site says: Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

02-02-2011 01:29 AM
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
http://www.covers.com/articles/articles....Art=221583

Quote:Syracuse players the center of point-shaving rumors
By COVERS.COM STAFF

Dangerous rumors are coming out of the Carrier Dome late Tuesday night with a report of possible point shaving by members of the Syracuse Orange men’s basketball program.

According to WYNN’s Andy Adamson, Syracuse players Scoop Jardine, James Southerland and Dion Waiters are allegedly involved in the scandal. Adamson reported the scandal, originally posted at poker website PocketFives.com, on his Twitter and Facebook accounts. He has since removed the entries, leaving many to question the validity of these rumors.

Popular Syracuse sports blog, OrangeFizz.net, is reporting a source who spoke to the SU athletics department told them the rumors are untrue and that the department has looked into possible point shaving. Even Jardine and Waiters have responded on their Twitter feeds. Jardine was very colorful, stating, "I love the game itself to much would never jeopardize everything I work so hard for with something like that! I play this game for free!!”.

Some of the allegations state that Jardine’s uncle bet on the Orange’s first meeting with Seton Hall this season, on January 8. Syracuse won the game 61-56 but failed to cover as a 7.5-point road favorite. Jardine shot 4 of 11 from the field, including 1 for 6 from 3-point range, to finish with 12 points, three assists and four turnovers. The team’s most recent loss to the Pirates is also under question. The Orange suffered one of the worst losses at home in the program’s history, falling 90-68 as 12.5-point favorites. Jardine scored 11 points in that game, shooting 4 for 10 from the field and finishing with three turnovers.

Both Waiters and Southerland sat out the Orange's most recent game, a 76-70 loss to the Marquette Golden Eagles as 2-point road underdogs Saturday. Waiters (6.5 ppg) averages 16:20 minutes per game while Southerland (5.9 ppg) puts in an average of 17:47 minutes per game this season. Jardine finished that loss to Marquette with 13 points and 13 assists, shooting 5 for 12 from the field with five turnovers.

Syracuse opened the season 18-0 but has since dropped four straight outings, failing to cover the spread in each of those games. The Orange are 18-4 SU with a dismal 7-13 ATS record heading into Wednesday’s road game against the UConn Huskies.

Oddsmakers have Syracuse set as a 3-point road underdog in Storrs Wednesday. The total is set at 139.5.

it appears that he not only removed that message on twitter, but he deleted his entire twitter and facebook accounts.

here's a link to a thread on the site where it originated, talking about the original thread that has since been deleted:

http://www.pocketfives.com/f13/story-abo...5s-618193/

Quote:It was a rumor, and that's all he said it was. There were some sites that picked up on it, and that Andy Adamson guy posted it on his twitter account and linked it to his facebook account. He is the only legitimate news guy that actually ran with it (I think).

The OP seemed to know a decent amount about it, and there have apparently been rumors circulating for a few days at Syracuse. Boeheim held Waiters and Southernland out of their past loss...not sure if that's what started everything or not.
EDIT--there is also a Georgetown fan site that has a blog post on it about all of the covers that Syracuse has blown late in the game...a few of them they are trying to link to Jardine.

like rath said, adamson is screwed.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2011 02:12 AM by Tymanh99.)
02-02-2011 02:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.