Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: The movie thread
saw the illusionist the other day, fell asleep half way through, resumed the following day. if you have problems with silent films or animated films, this probably isn't your cup of tea. it isn't completely silent, but mostly yes. it's about a parisian magician in probably the late '50's who has to travel to obscure locations to get gigs. he's always getting upstaged by some grander act, rock-n-roll, light bulbs. he meets a girl at a gig in scotland, he's in his 60's and she maybe 20. she believes his magic is real and he takes her in as his maid/ daughter figure. it's a heartbreaking story, but the imagery on film is the real magic. it's animated, but i want to go to scotland. beautifully done. the more i think about it, the more i love it. i recommend

observe and report. i like seth rogan. i didn't really care for this movie. i have an extremely hard time laughing at any comedy nowadays. the only saving grace in this movie was when seth rogan stops caring about his job through the guidance of his subordinate. i also liked the casual courtship of the coffee lady.
09-19-2011 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I finally watched Paul. That was a perfect jab at all those bad sci-fi movies of the 1950s and early 1960s, that resulted from all the reports of activity around Area 51...
09-19-2011 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(09-19-2011 10:59 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I finally watched Paul. That was a perfect jab at all those bad sci-fi movies of the 1950s and early 1960s, that resulted from all the reports of activity around Area 51...

such a wonderful film. simon pegg and nick frost are quite the scribes and thespians. a neat little twist at the end that i wasn't expecting. i did manage a few laughs. the comic bookstore where paul was "hiding," that was funny.
09-19-2011 12:28 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I watched Rango too recently. I liked it. But it wasn't on the same level as Paul. I've liked almost every Simon Pegg film I've seen...
09-19-2011 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Did Thor / BR: good special features IMO
--I liked the movie but I had a question.... if Odin took Laffi's baby how was he able to change him into looking "human" instead of blue?

Due to my own mistake I bought the Ang Lee Hulk movie on BR.
--WDF...this was HORRIBLE.

Tron Legacy: BR
--I liked the movie and it felt like a nice update from the original

The World Is Not Enough / dvd
--I liked this Bond movie. I thought the whole concept with M, Elektra King, Renard, and Bond was a good mix of who and why on motives . I do think they tossed in Denies Richards soley for eye candy and really didn't develop her part though.

Tomorrow Never Dies / dvd
--I love the movie but I think the villains plot of world domination via media seemed not up to the level of other "super villains" in the series.
09-21-2011 07:18 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
Tomorrow Never Dies was the first Bond movie I saw in theaters. As such, it holds a special place for me. Granted, the media mogul is a bit much (kinda like a super villain version of Rupert Murdoch), but I enjoyed the movie nonetheless - with the exception of one part: Michelle Yeoh's "hiyah!" scream. I wanted to punch my TV after hearing that.

The World Is Not Enough was brilliant to me, and it would've been 1,000 times better had they either a) gave Denise Richards' character more to do than look all pouty, or b) left out her character altogether. I think the movie was at its strongest when it was dealing with the Bond/Elektra/Renard triangle.
09-22-2011 09:06 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Saw Killer Elite tonight
--Nice work there boys.
09-25-2011 10:08 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Tron Legacy / BR
--Like the movie, although I think the Tron/Clu/ and their "parents" angle along with why the Isos and Flynn's son were so "important" could have made it stronger.

The Running Man / dvd
--Great Arnie Sci Fi movie. Maria Conchita Alonso was smokin hot in it.

Star Wars Blu Ray Set:
--Special Featues for Ep. 1-III
---some good stuff but I was expecting more documentaries instead of how they did this special FX things.
--Ep 1
--Some parts show off the BR version however, I felt my upconverted dvd disc looked very simmilar.
--Ep 2
--Some parts look better but not noticeably better than the dvd upconverted.

--I will say the Audio is quite a bit stronger on both though.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon / BR
--Looks good in BR so far. I think this one was the best of the three so far. Better conceived plot and doesn't really have any continuity issues like The Fallen did.

I do plan on getting Fast Five and Lion King on BR this week.
10-02-2011 10:31 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

SW Ep III / BR set
--Only one of the three that really showed off BR res.
--as far as the movie.... Darkest of the three.... my only beef is you know it had to end a certain way and the links they put together seem forced.

Although my question about The Sith is probably best suited for another thread.... how did the Jedi Order split into Sith and "good" Jedi? How low key did the Sith need to be to avoid being "picked up" by the Jedi. Why would Palpatine give up his power for Darth Vader to take over since he prized knowing about how to live forever being a Sith power....
10-04-2011 10:35 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Bought Fast Five on BR and did the series this week:

TF&TF/dvd
Pretty cool start to what would become a franchise. The only thing that kind of bugs me about this movie to this day is who/what is Brian OConner? Former street racer turned cop w/ undercover assignment? A plant by the police to bust Dominic Toretto but still is a street racer?

2F2F / dvd
I liked the movie and I think the dvd version with the bonus of telling you how Brian got to Miami really helps the story. I kind of buy the story angle they play out on trying to bust the drug runner with street racers. But again, if you believe O Conner is a "good guy" at hear why did he and Rome take the money at the end?

TF&TF: TD / dvd
Personally I like the movie a lot. Best race action of the series. IMO, the only thing that bugs be about the movie is who/what is Han and why would he need to run with Takashi(sp?). Yeah, they get into who/what Han is in the next movie but not knowing that his character is to gray for me. Also, the movie borrows heavily (especially the mountain racing/final race) from a anime series and live action movie called Initial D. Initial D as a anime series deals with teens, street racing, and learning to drift. The series really goes get car geeky and also deals in the relation ships teenagers and their parents.

F&F / dvd
Cool to bring it back together with the original cast in a pretty god plot. I liked how they get into "who" is Brian and how the trial of Torretto probably played into him being a "criminal" element now. Also liked that the gave some back story as to how Han would know Dom considering the end of TD.

FF / BR
The action and the cars were spot on. The way the made a "family reunion" of former casting was pretty cool. My only real beefs with the movie were 1) stealing cars of the train in the desert...this would kill value of selling them IMO and 2) Towing that safe with 2 souped up Dodge Chargers. The Rock did bring a cool element to the movie.

Lion King DE / BR
One of the newer Disney traditional animated movies I like. The BR print is pretty clean for such an old movie but I think they could have done more with the sound.

Real Steel / Theatre
Pretty good movie. It might be a family movie but I think they had too much cussing to make it that. Even had him cussing at his kid in front of his custodians. I also doubt this movie could have been made w/o the Transformers movies. Anywho, Hugh Jackman is a down and out former pro boxer who has turned to building/repairing battle bots for boxing and gambling on the matches. Lets say he is not a good gambler. The kid gets to him in that his former wife, whom he bailed on with child, has dies and since he is next of kin he had to take on the kid. He doesn't want to so he strikes a deal with his wife's sister's new husband that they can have the kid if they let him keep the kid while they go on vacation. During the time the kid is with him he basically learns life lessons from the Kid about building robots, training them to fight, and how to find his winning attitude again.
10-09-2011 07:33 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
i saw real steel as well. thought it was excellent. I would definitely recommend it
10-10-2011 10:32 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Halloween (1) / dvd
--Really good, the minimalism of the cinematography, the music, the casting/acting all really sold the movie as being a horror classic.

Halloween 2 /dvd
--Good follow up in story line from the first one. The fire/explosion at the hospital at the end of 1 though make you wonder how certain people are alive.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch / dvd
--Drops Michael Myers story all together and while the story of the creepy town with the creepy Halloween costume manufacturer making masks to take over the world was a good story line for a "Halloween" movie the execution, acting, and everything about this movie sucked a BIG ONE.

Halloween IV / dvd
--Cool story line involving Michael Myers niece. The end was EPIC. I can respect that Loomis would be super crazy by now with how Myers has evaded him and all the trouble he has caused the town but I think his banter gets tiresome by his third appearance.

Halloween V / dvd
--Pretty good follow up from the storyline being told in IV. Only thing I didn't like is the little follow up of two pretty major allusions for Myers being his sign tattoo and the "man in black" breaking him out of prison.

Halloween H20/ NF Stream
--Not a bad story line but Michael Myers was not scary in this at all.

Halloween Resurrection / NF Stream
--Interesting plot line of a reality tv show going to the Myers house and doing an over nighter on Halloween night. Some of the casting feels token but Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks don't really overdo their parts so it isn't too bad. Also, with some of the stuff they show in the tour it is kind of cool background on Myers.

Friday the 13th (directors cut) / dvd
--Pretty good set up for a horror movie. I like the special features on the disc. Great background info.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ..... France /dvd
--Heh.... good or bad depending on your tolerance for 80s cheese.

Silent Hill / dvd
--great movie. pretty scary I guess. IMO the plot was the strongest part of the movie....acting pretty solid too.

Beverly Hills Cop / dvd
--great comedy from Eddie Murphy. Loved that the bad guy was the Russian bad buy from "Octopussy."

Beverly Hills Cop II / dvd
--Pretty good sequel IMO. Liked the reversal of circumstances. Bridgette Neilsen was BADASS... more so than her character from Rocky IV.

Beverly Hills Cop III / dvd
--Liked it but they over did Rosewood's eccentric character. The amusement park theme was pretty cool along with the BH PD guy being in trouble. Cool cameo by George Lucas in it.
10-17-2011 11:22 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-24-2011 08:17 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I finally saw Secretariat last night. That was an excellent film, and brought back a lot of memories...

Watched it over the weekend, HD Epix or Starz or something.

Anyway, it was good. I don't think I'd call it excellent, but good for the whole family. Message was broad enough that a lot of people w/ contradictory aims probably like it.

It's worth checking out.
10-18-2011 03:42 PM
DrTorch Offline

(06-10-2011 11:03 AM)HoustonCougarNation Wrote:  I am sorry but I have to say that it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Some cartoons should never be made into a movie and this was one of them. The other probably would be Gi Joe. I love the cartoon but the movie was really bad and I am a huge Joe fan.

Caught this on the DVR, and while we haven't finished it, I don't think I'd call it really bad. Parts were really bad, which confuses me b/c I thought many parts were really good. They had some good characters, some good plot elements, good effects...yet they'd do really dumb things along the way to derail all of that. Things a film professor at a community college could have probably helped remediate.

Anyway, I won't throw it to the discard pile. I do like it well enough.
10-18-2011 03:46 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(10-18-2011 03:46 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 11:03 AM)HoustonCougarNation Wrote:  I am sorry but I have to say that it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Some cartoons should never be made into a movie and this was one of them. The other probably would be Gi Joe. I love the cartoon but the movie was really bad and I am a huge Joe fan.

Caught this on the DVR, and while we haven't finished it, I don't think I'd call it really bad. Parts were really bad, which confuses me b/c I thought many parts were really good. They had some good characters, some good plot elements, good effects...yet they'd do really dumb things along the way to derail all of that. Things a film professor at a community college could have probably helped remediate.

Anyway, I won't throw it to the discard pile. I do like it well enough.

GI Joe was ok. They had good actors for the parts they showed. I'm neither here nor there on Ripcord being a black guy even though he was a read head in the cartoon. I think they FUBAR'D the Dr Mindbender and formation of Cobra Commander angles though. Zartan was good casting but under used.
10-18-2011 07:14 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

after a brief fight over what film to rent, my girlfriend and decided on win win. indeed it was a win win. here's the plot from imdb

Quote: A struggling lawyer and volunteer wrestling coach's chicanery comes back to haunt him when the teenage grandson of the client he's double-crossed comes into his life.

paul giamatti's one of my favorite actors.
10-26-2011 04:09 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

SO....

Jurassic Park BR set:
--BR vs DVD comments: I own the JP I/II set and have JP III individually on dvd. I got the BR trilogy set. I must say that JP I/II set had compression issues for video and it was BS that it only had the DD5.1 audio( that set got a dual release in that they had a DD and a DTS set). The JP III was, for the most part, a clean transfer but had some artifacting. The BR trilogy cleans up all the video prints so you don't have ANY compression issues in the video. I was watching it via HDMI on a 50". The sound IS EPIC. WAY BETTER than the dvd audio even if I am only doing 2.1 at the moment. Good to see that the DTS and the DD are on the same disc finally.

JPI
--Loved the concept and loved the movie. This movie practically drove home theater sales in the early 90s. Pretty strong cast as well.

JP II
--I liked the story and thought a "Site B" made some sense in regards to one island being a proving ground and one island being a "park." I did not like Ian Malcom's kid tagging along. I did like how even though Ingen got sold out so to speak that Hammond's kid was still trying to get a park states side started and mooching off his dad's work. I think the movie took a dive in quality when the hit San Diego with some questionable cinematic choices.

JP III
--The story was WAY TOO WEAK to make a 3rd trip back out to the islands. The movie, itself wasn't "bad" but it felt like someone tried really hard to milk some more money from the dinos.

LotR trilogy BR

--BR vs DVD commentary: First, I waited till they released the Extended Edition DVD Trilogy Set before I ever bought the dvds for those. I did find that in some areas the compression/artifacting was sub par for transfers of such great movies. I totally understood whey split up the movies across two discs each because of the director's cuts adding a lot of extra footage. The BR set I was hoping would have the movies on 1 disc since BRs hold more data than standard dvds but alas, they split them up just like the dvd release. I guess I can get over that in that watching anything that is 3hrs in length needs a break anyway.

I liked all the movies but I did feel that Return of the King ended kind of fast....
11-05-2011 09:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Cars 2 / BR
--Good movie. The graphics were a big upgrade over 1. I like the more action oriented plot of the movie.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 12:45 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
11-08-2011 12:42 PM
DrTorch Offline

RED- DVR from SHO2(HD). Liked it a lot, so did the wife. Lots of action, lots of humor. Nice casting. Of course I'm a comic book geek, so the source material works for me. Didn't like unnecessary plot holes (redacted files in the classified vault? Why bother?) but definitely an enjoyable action movie.
11-22-2011 12:56 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
I didn't care for RED a whole lot. Of course, I got taken out of it when an American citizen couldn't pronounce Mobile (mo-BILL, not MO-bill). It's nitpicky, but it's my nit to pick, thank you.
11-22-2011 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.