Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: The movie thread
I finally watched Unstoppable last night, with Denzel Washington. That was an excellent movie...
08-21-2011 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Insidious
Pretty scary, especially at the beginning. But really, that is how all horror movies are, right? Strong in the scary when it's all dark, but when they try to wrap it all up, it falls apart into silliness. This movie had some great jump out at you parts, which I am always a sucker for; especially the standard fare of the room is in perfect condition, they hear a sound, open the door and the room is completely torn apart. Like in Poltergeist with the chairs in the kitchen. Always give me the goose bumps. There are a couple non-standard scary movie jump out at you parts, including one in broad daylight which was sort of out of left field.... But the end degenerates into the standard vision quest / have to find the boy in the dark / twist ending that frankly you can see from a mile away. Oh well. Still enjoyable to watch. Recommended.

The Eagle
A good action movie that does what it says on the tin. If you are a stickler for accuracy there are some parts that make you go hmmm, like how they venture all the way to the most northern parts of England, up in the barren, windswept coastline of the Scottish Highlands and suddenly they are in a lush forest. Eh? And personally, I thought they could of made the physical Eagle a little more impressive. The prop looked cheap. But the fighting was well choreographed, the Seal people where really cool, and the rest of the sets (outside of the above concerns) were well done and very realistic. Recommended

The Prisoner / TV Series
Couldn’t get past the second disk, which was like the 4th episode? Too much of the same each episode; each show was just Number 7 trying to escape.
08-22-2011 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
saw The Help over the weekend. Excellent movie. Not much else to say
08-22-2011 03:48 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
(08-22-2011 03:48 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  saw The Help over the weekend. Excellent movie. Not much else to say

Can't see myself ever watching that movie. Not because it's a chick flick, but I have personal reservations about the film's subject matter.
08-22-2011 06:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(08-22-2011 06:55 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  
(08-22-2011 03:48 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  saw The Help over the weekend. Excellent movie. Not much else to say

Can't see myself ever watching that movie. Not because it's a chick flick, but I have personal reservations about the film's subject matter.

i wouldn't call it a chick flick. And it's not like they made up the subject. This is american history
08-23-2011 07:42 AM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
(08-23-2011 07:42 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

i wouldn't call it a chick flick. And it's not like they made up the subject. This is american history

Fair enough. I know it's American history; I just don't like to dwell on it. Seeing my grandmother cleaning houses well into her mid 70s was more than enough for me.
08-23-2011 08:32 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(08-23-2011 08:32 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  
(08-23-2011 07:42 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Fair enough. I know it's American history; I just don't like to dwell on it. Seeing my grandmother cleaning houses well into her mid 70s was more than enough for me.

that makes sense. No need for you to relive that
08-23-2011 08:52 AM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
Anyone else seen Apollo 18 yet? I thought it was pretty good, but most people seem to not care for it.
09-03-2011 08:56 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The main reason I think the movie premise sucks is because there is no way you could hide a moon shot to the point where nobody remembers it. A launch to the moon requires a rocket so large that it can't be missed. Also, the moon is lifeless. There's no air, and no minerals to speak of. Whoever thought up this idea was clueless about logic...
09-03-2011 10:40 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
I've gone through the Dirty Harry movies on dvd.

The Star Wars Saga on dvd.

Did the Arnie Conans.
09-05-2011 08:17 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-23-2011 07:42 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i wouldn't call it a chick flick. And it's not like they made up the subject. This is american history
I saw The Help, too, I thought it had some good spots and some bad. Overall... okay. But I definitely thought it was a chick flick. You really didn't see it like that?

It's interesting how whenever a mainstream studio production attempts to deal with that era of history, the most central character always turns out to be a "pro-civil rights" white person, usually a young college-type or recent graduate who is "awakened" to see the injustice around him/her, blah-blah-blah. In such movies, the white people who weren't feeling it, and pretty much all the black people, mostly just seem to exist in relation to the Good White Liberal. 03-zzz
09-07-2011 08:53 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I watched Megamind last night. I thought that was a cute movie, with a great moral for kids...
09-07-2011 09:02 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(09-07-2011 08:53 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(08-23-2011 07:42 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i wouldn't call it a chick flick. And it's not like they made up the subject. This is american history
I saw The Help, too, I thought it had some good spots and some bad. Overall... okay. But I definitely thought it was a chick flick. You really didn't see it like that?

It's interesting how whenever a mainstream studio production attempts to deal with that era of history, the most central character always turns out to be a "pro-civil rights" white person, usually a young college-type or recent graduate who is "awakened" to see the injustice around him/her, blah-blah-blah. In such movies, the white people who weren't feeling it, and pretty much all the black people, mostly just seem to exist in relation to the Good White Liberal. 03-zzz

you act like hollywood made the story. It was a book first. And no, i certainly wouldn't call it a chick flick. It wasn't about romantic relationships or anything like that. The Notebook is a chick flick. Crazy Stupid Love is a chick flick. 10 Things I hate about you is a chick flick. The Help? not a chick flick
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 12:23 PM by flyingswoosh.)
09-07-2011 12:22 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-07-2011 12:22 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you act like hollywood made the story. It was a book first.
Hollywood made the movie and adapted the story. But regardless of the source-material, the TV-shows and films that actually get made (by "mainstream" American studios) and that include this general topic (race-relations and/or civil rights in the Jim Crow South) almost invariably have the kind of narrative structure I described. That is simply my experience from watching TV and movies over the last 30 years or so.
09-07-2011 01:23 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(09-07-2011 01:23 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(09-07-2011 12:22 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you act like hollywood made the story. It was a book first.
Hollywood made the movie and adapted the story. But regardless of the source-material, the TV-shows and films that actually get made (by "mainstream" American studios) and that include this general topic (race-relations and/or civil rights in the Jim Crow South) almost invariably have the kind of narrative structure I described. That is simply my experience from watching TV and movies over the last 30 years or so.

oh i agree. Just pointing out that in this instance, hollywood had little to nothing to do with the source material
09-07-2011 03:27 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
(09-03-2011 10:40 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The main reason I think the movie premise sucks is because there is no way you could hide a moon shot to the point where nobody remembers it. A launch to the moon requires a rocket so large that it can't be missed. Also, the moon is lifeless. There's no air, and no minerals to speak of. Whoever thought up this idea was clueless about logic...

the launch was not hidden-it was just told to be shooting a satellite to space and not a moon landing. and who says an alien has to breathe our air or need our minerals? its a science FICTION movie...so it dont have to be historically accurate

btw I liked it. not my fav movie ever but worth a rent
09-11-2011 11:29 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I'm an amateur astronomer. There's no way a moon shot wouldn't be seen, dude. There are too many eyes looking at that part of the sky...
09-11-2011 03:57 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Saw another poorly marketed film: Tangled.

The commercials made this look absolutely stupid, just a bunch of cartoon pratfalls. But in reality it was a well told story w/ lots of continuity. The main character was a heroine w/o being a man, she was feminine. Very refreshing.

If anything the main theme might have been too potent. Definitely hits a nerve of helicopter parents.

Animation was solid, the graphic quality of the water was astounding, fire not as good. The characters were well developed. Music appropriate, very traditional Disney.

I'd give it a B+. Ignore the commercials and rent it an enjoy.
09-11-2011 06:01 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(09-07-2011 09:02 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I watched Megamind last night. I thought that was a cute movie, with a great moral for kids...

I kind of wanted to see this.... is it good or bad Will Ferell?

(09-11-2011 06:01 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Saw another poorly marketed film: Tangled.

Isn't it the "remix" of Rapunzel?
09-11-2011 09:40 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

IMO Megamind is good Will Ferrell. I liked it...
09-12-2011 07:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.