Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE: The movie thread
(06-14-2011 04:04 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I did a quick check earlier and read Hulk did about $123M (might have been domestic), w/ over half coming in the first weekend. They pushed that movie like crazy, and while it started hot, it plummeted quickly, as in record territory drop.

IMO, Hulk has a larger fan base, is more contemporary, and got a much bigger push than Speed Racer. Yet, Hulk did 33% better.

$200M for SR was nuts. Make that $75-80M and it's a modest hit.
Could you cut that much from the budget? Maybe not, it sure seemed like they worked in every bit of CGI that they created 03-wink

IMDB has both Hulk movies at about $130M domestic, with another $100M or so worldwide, but I'm picking nits. I get your point.

If you don't spend at least $100 million, there isn't going to be much CGI in your film, so you're proposing a mostly live action Speed Racer. I have no problem with that, but would it work? It's hard to say if a low/no CGI Speed Racer would do even $90 million.

***OK, I have to clear something up: After looking closely, I realize that the first place I looked for budget included the marketing costs for Speed Racer. The production budget was actually $120 million (which sounds about right). Unbelievably, they spent EIGHTY MILLION on marketing! So the box office was still too low, and the points above are still valid, but the real horror/stupidity was not the production costs. New question: How much did they earn for their marketing dollars? I'm gonna guess it was in the range of $0.50 for every $1.00 spent.
06-14-2011 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-14-2011 05:01 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  ***OK, I have to clear something up: After looking closely, I realize that the first place I looked for budget included the marketing costs for Speed Racer. The production budget was actually $120 million (which sounds about right). Unbelievably, they spent EIGHTY MILLION on marketing! So the box office was still too low, and the points above are still valid, but the real horror/stupidity was not the production costs. New question: How much did they earn for their marketing dollars? I'm gonna guess it was in the range of $0.50 for every $1.00 spent.

Wow. I had no idea they spent that much on marketing.
06-14-2011 09:35 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
(06-14-2011 09:35 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(06-14-2011 05:01 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  ***OK, I have to clear something up: After looking closely, I realize that the first place I looked for budget included the marketing costs for Speed Racer. The production budget was actually $120 million (which sounds about right). Unbelievably, they spent EIGHTY MILLION on marketing! So the box office was still too low, and the points above are still valid, but the real horror/stupidity was not the production costs. New question: How much did they earn for their marketing dollars? I'm gonna guess it was in the range of $0.50 for every $1.00 spent.

Wow. I had no idea they spent that much on marketing.

I read somewhere that they made most of their money from merchandising, and I think they deemed the movie a success based from that. I could be wrong on that, though.
06-15-2011 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-14-2011 03:19 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  
(06-14-2011 02:46 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(06-14-2011 02:27 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(06-14-2011 02:07 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  not only was Hulk a very good comic book movie, it also made more than 93 million domestically

Which Hulk? I only saw the Ed Norton one. I liked it. Hulk, IMO, is hard to pull off if you want to put Hulk Mode into real world and give him his powers. I still preferred the tv show.

i don't count the eric bana version

Same here. that Hulk was way too big to be believable. While Jennifer Connely was acorching hot in that movie (IMO), it wasn't that good.

Ed Norton's Hulk was not only more believable but had a better story. We also saw the birth of Leader, if there's no sequel, then we had better see him in the Avengers movie.

the hulk will be in the Avengers, but will be played by Mark Ruffalo, not ed norton
06-15-2011 10:45 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Green Lantern....

not bad actually.
06-17-2011 08:41 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-17-2011 08:41 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Green Lantern....

not bad actually.

totally agree. a good deal better than Thor. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7
06-17-2011 08:52 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(06-17-2011 08:52 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

not bad actually.

totally agree. a good deal better than Thor. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7

I'd go same as... the plus and minuses kind of average out IMO. Thor had too much tie in to the Avengers for it to stand out as much as it could.
06-17-2011 09:26 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

not bad actually.

Good. Looking forward to seeing it.
06-18-2011 11:50 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-18-2011 11:50 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

not bad actually.

Good. Looking forward to seeing it.

i'll be curious to know what you thought of it
06-18-2011 05:04 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
Saw Green Lantern; I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I'm not mad I saw it.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2011 06:22 PM by BlazerJoe.)
06-18-2011 06:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
Super 8 was very good. I enjoyed every minute of it. Spielberg did a great job getting back in the director's seat.

Oh, wait...that was J. J. Abrams? Oh, okay.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2011 10:44 PM by BlazerJoe.)
06-19-2011 10:43 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(06-18-2011 06:21 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  Saw Green Lantern; I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I'm not mad I saw it.

I agree with some of your points. But it is like with the outer space part to telling a Green Lantern story I don't know what they could have done better for it. I can't get why the critics hate it so. I think, considering they had to do an origin story and have a villain they did ok. I didn't know much about Green Lantern except what his ring could do and the color yellow messed him up but that was before I caught Justice League/ JLU and what they got into more about him and the coprs made me want to see the movie.
06-20-2011 11:57 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
In tribute to the late Peter Falk, I'll throw out a recommendation to watch The Brinks Job. This movie never got a lot of acclaim and it didn't do much box office but I love it. Directed by William Friedkin (French Connection, Exorcist) and with a terrific cast. In addition to Falk (who was wonderful as the lead), excellent performances by Peter Boyle, Warren Oates, Allen Garfield and a good turn by Paul Sorvino. It's a comedy crime caper but it's got some very real human emotion in it and is startlingly poignant at times (and, by the way, based on a true story). It's a very enjoyable film and I'd put it in my Sleeper Top 10.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2011 06:39 PM by Brookes Owl.)
06-24-2011 06:39 PM
Tigerfan21 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis, THFC
Finally saw Bridesmaids... and it was great! One of the funnier movies ive seen in a while. Its surprising to see the bad reviews for Cars 2 from Rotten Tomatoes... it is only at 34%... the lowest Pixar movie before this was at like a 94% or something.
06-25-2011 10:31 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
Watched Going the Distance last night. Christina Applegate was great. Charlie Day was not. Jason Sudekis was pretty good. I loved the interplay between Justin Long and Drew Barrymore. On the whole, though; it was worth 3/5 stars.
06-26-2011 08:58 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Transformers: The Movie
Transformers
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
*Animated one was best overall. The first TF was pretty good IMO. Tough concept to bring into live action. The second one had too much going on and either had crappy editing or crappy script writers as the parts of Devestator appeared at odd times considering he was already in Devestator mode...unless they had clone Constructicons.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone
--love the entire series

Cars
--prepping for Cars 2 today. I liked the original but I think they should have taken into a more racing centric story line versus Lightning McQueen saving his soul and the town left behind by a interstate.
06-26-2011 12:04 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Finished Airwolf S1. /NF Stream

I think the show was great. Only thing that bugged me was the whole Airwolf/String/Archangel scenario keeping Air Wolf in in String's hands.

Cars 2 / Theater
--More action packed than the first by far. My only issue was it was to Mater focused.
06-26-2011 06:33 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
Green Lantern:

Much better than what the reviews led us to think. Sure there were some campy parts, but all in all this was a good...NOT GREAT...comic book movie and I recommend it to any fan of these kinds of movies.
06-27-2011 04:04 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-27-2011 04:04 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  Green Lantern:

Much better than what the reviews led us to think. Sure there were some campy parts, but all in all this was a good...NOT GREAT...comic book movie and I recommend it to any fan of these kinds of movies.

+1
06-27-2011 05:23 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Starting up Season 2 of Airwolf.
After reading the Wiki on the show a few weeks back and the commentary made about the female cast member they added in season 2 I have to say they didn't handle it well. She starts out as a take no prisoners chopper pilot for the Texas Highway Patrol. Then once she "moves" into working for Santini Air they wuss her out. Also interesting that Charles LeGault played a military man hunting down Airwolf for the Military re appears as a Texas Police Cheif under a different name.

Also a fun fact... Lance Legault played Decker, the Army guy sent out to get the A Team back in later episodes.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2011 05:33 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
06-28-2011 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.