The movie thread
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: The movie thread
(04-20-2011 12:56 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(04-20-2011 08:26 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  
(04-18-2011 09:05 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Own all the movies, haven't read any of the books.

I'm with you on that, but I plan on reading the books after I'm done with the movies.

I am really tempted to do the same.... I got a feeling some of the background stuff is important to the overall story arc that they haven't been able to put into the movies.

It is. Take the Marauder's Map, for example. I read on the Harry Potter Wiki that the Marauders were Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, Remus Lupin, and...James Potter. They really glossed over that one.

I also had to go to the Wiki to read up on that mirror fragment that he had in Deathly Hallows Part 1.
04-20-2011 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(04-18-2011 09:05 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Own all the movies, haven't read any of the books.

I'm with you on that, but I plan on reading the books after I'm done with the movies.

I am really tempted to do the same.... I got a feeling some of the background stuff is important to the overall story arc that they haven't been able to put into the movies.

whatt??!! a movie unlike, a buhh-uh-ukkhh?? unpossible! 04-cheers books rule, movies are still cool. thinking about books turned into movies and the consequences. tnx for the quick segue trez :). i have three off the bat:

blade runner (film)- awesome
do androids dream of electric sheep (book)- phillip k. dick. awesome

very interesting the way ridly scott chose to move the film. ambiguously he did. more straight forward in the book

atlas shrugged (film)- it could be done, but what was done, was done very poorly
atlas shrugged (book)- ayn rand. best book ever

apocalypse now (film)- awesome, best film ever
heart of darkness (book)- jospeh conrad. i have this book teeming in the archipelago of my mother's storage unit's. i want to locate it
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 02:32 PM by Lush.)
04-20-2011 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Idiocracy. Interesting premise, bad execution.
04-22-2011 02:45 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(04-22-2011 02:45 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Idiocracy. Interesting premise, bad execution.

i thought it delivered nicely. the president of the united states was a former professional wrestler, a gatorade drink replaced water for everything from people consumption to plants. i thought it to be brilliant. i also think it's not too totally far fetched. i love small businesses. sadly, they go away every year. i see it feasible to have basically one superstore. i could see that 500 years from now.
04-22-2011 02:59 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(04-20-2011 01:20 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  

It is. Take the Marauder's Map, for example. I read on the Harry Potter Wiki that the Marauders were Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, Remus Lupin, and...James Potter. They really glossed over that one.

I also had to go to the Wiki to read up on that mirror fragment that he had in Deathly Hallows Part 1.

oh god there are a million things they glossed over or left out.

best books ever
04-22-2011 07:28 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Skyline.

Obvious sequel is obvious.
04-27-2011 09:44 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
The Spirit / dvd
--Ehh.... First attempt ended in sleepage. 2nd attempt didn't get much better.... but after a large Coke and starting over...3rd time was the charm. It has the Sin City look just not the awesomeness. The story and characters were ok...but it felt lacking. I think using the imagery that Sin City had was to this films detriment. Eva Mendez in next to nothing was a plus (lol).
04-27-2011 09:28 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
AstroBoy/Epix

Curiously, I'm not even sure I knew they made this movie. I was famililar w/ the title from seeing it at the library, but never did more than leaf through it. On line research indicates this has a far deeper history than I knew.

Anyway, the movie is underappreciated, IMO. While the plot was simple and routine, it was enjoyable and well played. The animation was fun and matched the tone of the movie. The subtle details were funny and usually appropriately understated (unlike Planet 51), the humor was a mix including pratfalls along with some very dry humor (akin to Simpsons). Toby's voice was very good, Sutherland worked well, while Nic Cage as Tenma had mixed reviews.

Good spirited and fun movie. Check it out.
04-28-2011 08:33 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-28-2011 08:33 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  AstroBoy/Epix

Curiously, I'm not even sure I knew they made this movie. I was famililar w/ the title from seeing it at the library, but never did more than leaf through it. On line research indicates this has a far deeper history than I knew.

Anyway, the movie is underappreciated, IMO. While the plot was simple and routine, it was enjoyable and well played. The animation was fun and matched the tone of the movie. The subtle details were funny and usually appropriately understated (unlike Planet 51), the humor was a mix including pratfalls along with some very dry humor (akin to Simpsons). Toby's voice was very good, Sutherland worked well, while Nic Cage as Tenma had mixed reviews.

Good spirited and fun movie. Check it out.

I caught that one in theaters. It wasn't too bad.
04-28-2011 12:56 PM
DrTorch Offline

I hear the last Harry Potter movie has a real twist. "Dirty" Harry Potter pulls out a .44 Magnum and blows away Voldemort. The Deathly Hallows Pool.

Anyone confirm?
04-28-2011 02:45 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Fast Five was awesome.
04-29-2011 09:23 PM
bradsimonaman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: work
(05-09-2010 10:21 AM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  Saw Iron Man 2 last night. Felt kind of like Star Trek in tempo, very fast for most of the movie with the occasional slow part for plot and character development but never took away from the film. Robert Downey, Jr is even better in this one, and you can never go wrong with Scarlett Johansson.

I have liked Iron man 1 more than Iron Man 2.The story of iron man 2 Seemed ridiculous to me.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011 07:00 AM by bradsimonaman.)
05-01-2011 06:59 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Max Payne / dvd
--Pretty good IMO. I might would have gotten more out of it if I had played the video games.
05-01-2011 09:07 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I didn't care for Max Payne myself...
05-01-2011 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Equilibrium.

Anything with Christian Bale is AOK in my book. Though I wish movie makers would come up with some original imagery; it was a mash-up of quasi Nazi (the Father, the semi-swastika, the architecture) the Matrix (kung-fu voodoo slow motion gun fights) that has been done over and over and over.

I enjoyed the ending. Nothing drawn out, just to the point.
05-02-2011 10:58 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(05-02-2011 10:58 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Equilibrium.

Anything with Christian Bale is AOK in my book. Though I wish movie makers would come up with some original imagery; it was a mash-up of quasi Nazi (the Father, the semi-swastika, the architecture) the Matrix (kung-fu voodoo slow motion gun fights) that has been done over and over and over.

I enjoyed the ending. Nothing drawn out, just to the point.

i kinda felt the same way with defiance which i just watched. the film itself was well acted (including type cast supreme liev schreiber whom i found a lot of fun)and enjoyable for the most part, it's just such a tired subject and bored me very much.

i also caught a couple of john cusack stinkers. first off was 2012, which could possibly be the worst film i've ever seen had i watched the entire thing. i couldn't do it.

1408, god this was boring. neat ending though. not sure if the cool ending was worth sitting thru that mess.
05-05-2011 08:38 AM
DrTorch Offline

Arthur Laurents, playwright to West Side Story died. :(

West Side Story is my favorite movie of all time.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 09:08 AM by DrTorch.)
05-06-2011 09:07 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(05-01-2011 09:23 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I didn't care for Max Payne myself...

i'm with you. i couldn't stand that movie, although olga kurylenko and mila kunis were really hot
05-07-2011 10:40 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Saw Atlas Shrugged last night. The horrendous acting/production that was apparent in the previews wasn't noticeable in the film. There were a few production items I'd have done differently, but it was mostly unnoticeable. To the person who doesn't "get" what it is talking about, it does a poor job of pointing it out (not the movie's fault). A departure from the book, but staying true to its principles, might have been preferable.
05-08-2011 09:56 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Primer.

Pay attention, but don't expect to get it the first time. Since I am not one to think too hard about movies once the end credits roll, I just hopped on Wiki and I think I now understand about 80% of the movie.

But is was neat, and not at all formulaic.
05-09-2011 09:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.