Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: The movie thread
Initial D / Live Action
--based on a car/drifting anime. The movie is actually pretty solid and covers concepts from the anime quite good. In short, the story is about Japanese HS kids and their love of drifting/racing. The story centers around a rather unassuming kid who does midnight runs for his dad's tofu shop and has honed his skills in traversing Mt. Akina to where he is the best drifter/racer on that track. Basically the tale of the movie is his coming out party. Where it would differ from say the F&F series is you get a lot more gear talk and less flashy cars.
06-04-2010 06:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
watched Splice last night. was different from my expectations, but was still a decent flick to watch. if you have a couple hours to kill i'd recommend it.
06-05-2010 03:00 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
just got back from seeing get him to the greek. hilarious. took the few funny parts from forgetting sarah marshall and made them into a movie.
06-05-2010 04:52 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(06-05-2010 04:52 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  just got back from seeing get him to the greek. hilarious. took the few funny parts from forgetting sarah marshall and made them into a movie.

I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The dinner and wine scene was priceless. I don't understand why people don't like Jonah Hill and/or Seth Rogan. I think they're great. Hollywood is having a very difficult time putting out decent comedies, that troupe is the saving grace, IMO. And they're Rated R. You can't have a good comedy these days if it isn't Rated R. I think Hollywood forgot how to make people laugh and assume we can only associate humor if it's raunchy. Long gone are the days of the timeless, and I'll say it, sophisticated humor. Nobody's gonna remember Superbad 20 years from now, but they will remember Airplane!, the Jerk, Stripes, etc... I'm glad there are other avenues besides Hollywood.
06-05-2010 05:48 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-05-2010 05:48 PM)Lush Wrote:  
(06-05-2010 04:52 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  just got back from seeing get him to the greek. hilarious. took the few funny parts from forgetting sarah marshall and made them into a movie.

I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The dinner and wine scene was priceless. I don't understand why people don't like Jonah Hill and/or Seth Rogan. I think they're great. Hollywood is having a very difficult time putting out decent comedies, that troupe is the saving grace, IMO. And they're Rated R. You can't have a good comedy these days if it isn't Rated R. I think Hollywood forgot how to make people laugh and assume we can only associate humor if it's raunchy. Long gone are the days of the timeless, and I'll say it, sophisticated humor. Nobody's gonna remember Superbad 20 years from now, but they will remember Airplane!, the Jerk, Stripes, etc... I'm glad there are other avenues besides Hollywood.

i've never heard of airplane, or the jerk. but i will agree that hollywood doesn't know how to make comedies without making them raunchy
06-05-2010 07:42 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(06-05-2010 07:42 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

i've never heard of airplane, or the jerk. but i will agree that hollywood doesn't know how to make comedies without making them raunchy

Get thee to Netflix!!!! Or your movie viewing getter. Wow.
06-05-2010 09:39 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-05-2010 09:39 PM)Lush Wrote:  

i looked at the imdb page for airplane and i actually have heard of it before. definitely never seen it though.
06-05-2010 10:53 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Good movie to watch with the wife..."My Life in Ruins"

Bad Movie to never ever watch...."The Messenger"
06-06-2010 06:12 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(06-05-2010 10:53 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(06-05-2010 09:39 PM)Lush Wrote:  

i looked at the imdb page for airplane and i actually have heard of it before. definitely never seen it though.

Airplane is a classic. Great movie for quotes too. Airplane 2 was ok... kind of a rehash of jokes with a space theme.
06-06-2010 08:53 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Watched Pearl Harbor...

Never quite understood the hate it got but I gotta say that the convoluted love triangle story was not needed for it to develop that way.

Broken Arrow
--Slater and Travolta were great in it. I always enjoy watching Travolta's mannerisms in the movie--he just seems so aloof and sure of himself...
06-06-2010 08:55 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(06-06-2010 08:55 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Watched Pearl Harbor...

Never quite understood the hate it got but I gotta say that the convoluted love triangle story was not needed for it to develop that way.

Broken Arrow
--Slater and Travolta were great in it. I always enjoy watching Travolta's mannerisms in the movie--he just seems so aloof and sure of himself...

I never had a desire to see Pearl Harbor, but Broken Arrow was pretty sweet. Samantha Mathis is a fox. Oh, and how can you forget about Howie Long? 04-cheers And word up on how quotable Airplane! is. I don't know if I have a favorite. The grandma speaking jive is probably my favorite scene. I say these at work all the time, "Have you ever seen a grown man naked? and "Do you like movies about gladiators?" Although, "I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue," is also up there.

Treas, you gotta check out Black Dynamite. Right up your alley.
06-07-2010 12:00 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I'm forever on a movie binge.

Drag Me to Hell. I'm only briefly familiar with Sam Raimi. Army of Darkness and the first Spider Man. Good films, the former, awesome! I was hoping for more humor out of Drag Me to Hell. I heard there were a lot of laughs to be had, I didn't find many. I was disappointed and the ending was seen a mile away. I need to watch the rest of the Evil Dead.

A Single Man. I wouldn't call the film up to the climax (at least what I consider the climax) dull, but the story didn't really seem to be going anywhere. After that though, the pace and emotion took over. Hated the ending though. Beautifully shot and well acted.

Whip It. I really enjoyed this. They used Jens Lekman's songs to perfection. Having Juliette Lewis (who was superb) and Ellen Page (also awesome) probably didn't hurt the musical selection. It was a cool story, though I wished Ellen Page's character's mom would have gotten to meet the Rollergirls and knew what they were about.
06-07-2010 12:42 AM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(06-07-2010 12:42 AM)Lush Wrote:  Drag Me to Hell. I'm only briefly familiar with Sam Raimi. Army of Darkness and the first Spider Man. Good films, the former, awesome! I was hoping for more humor out of Drag Me to Hell. I heard there were a lot of laughs to be had, I didn't find many. I was disappointed and the ending was seen a mile away. I need to watch the rest of the Evil Dead.

I enjoyed them all, but the first two Evil Dead movies are nothing like Army of Darkness. They are more or less straight low budget horror films. And Evil Dead II is more of a remake than a sequel.
06-07-2010 05:13 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(06-07-2010 05:13 PM)jh Wrote:  
(06-07-2010 12:42 AM)Lush Wrote:  Drag Me to Hell. I'm only briefly familiar with Sam Raimi. Army of Darkness and the first Spider Man. Good films, the former, awesome! I was hoping for more humor out of Drag Me to Hell. I heard there were a lot of laughs to be had, I didn't find many. I was disappointed and the ending was seen a mile away. I need to watch the rest of the Evil Dead.

I enjoyed them all, but the first two Evil Dead movies are nothing like Army of Darkness. They are more or less straight low budget horror films. And Evil Dead II is more of a remake than a sequel.

Hmm. So the Evil Dead's aren't remotely funny?
06-08-2010 10:10 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(06-08-2010 10:10 PM)Lush Wrote:  

It's been awhile since I've seen them so I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics. I'm sure there are a few funny lines, and some funny Bruce Cambell reaction shots, but I'm pretty sure there weren't any outright comedy/slapstick sequences. Don't let me scare you off, but just be prepared for something completely different.
06-08-2010 11:52 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(06-08-2010 11:52 PM)jh Wrote:  

It's been awhile since I've seen them so I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics. I'm sure there are a few funny lines, and some funny Bruce Cambell reaction shots, but I'm pretty sure there weren't any outright comedy/slapstick sequences. Don't let me scare you off, but just be prepared for something completely different.

I'm gonna watch 'em eventually regardless. I'm not really a horror buff, but I have been getting into the genre recently. I don't think I'll be viewing Human Centipede, but I am curious. Heard it wasn't the gross/gore fest it's been tagged as.
06-09-2010 01:15 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Just saw The A Team.

They did a good casting job for the principle positions. Kind of odd how they say the 4 got together but afterward the main plot gets into gear and the frame and clearing their names gets into gear. It does have a more political espionage tone than the tv show and it is more violent per se' but the spirit of the original tv cast is there. That was what I was most worried about. And yes the new BA is a BA. I'm kind of glad they cut down the corny lines that Mr T had... cause only Mr T could pull that off.
06-12-2010 09:50 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I got a question for those who have seen Shutter Island:

Highlight to read my question.... hide response if you have an answer

Ok, I watched the special features on the BR disc.... and even when I saw the movie I got it but...

Ted( Leo) and his partner when the get to the island are really ... his partner is bringing him back to the island to keep watch over him?

The two directors were running a elaborate trap to draw Ted back to the island?

The insane brunette DID kill his kids and was HIS wife... the blond girl in his dreams is a romanticized version of his real wife?

Was his flashbacks to his wife's deal AND his time in Germany in the military what started his multiple personality disorder? ... and to that end it sounded like from the special features that he did some major dirt to warrant him to go to such a facility on his own.

Lastly, when he meets the guy who burned down his apartment in Ward C and they have their chat... was that guy saying basically that somehow Ted led the officials back to him after he got out and they brought him back to lure Ted back to the island as well?

Tried to hid as best as possible.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2010 12:11 AM by PirateTreasureNC.)
06-13-2010 12:10 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(06-13-2010 12:10 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I got a question for those who have seen Shutter Island:

Highlight to read my question.... hide response if you have an answer

Ok, I watched the special features on the BR disc.... and even when I saw the movie I got it but...

Ted( Leo) and his partner when the get to the island are really ... his partner is bringing him back to the island to keep watch over him?

The two directors were running a elaborate trap to draw Ted back to the island?

The insane brunette DID kill his kids and was HIS wife... the blond girl in his dreams is a romanticized version of his real wife?

Was his flashbacks to his wife's deal AND his time in Germany in the military what started his multiple personality disorder? ... and to that end it sounded like from the special features that he did some major dirt to warrant him to go to such a facility on his own.

Lastly, when he meets the guy who burned down his apartment in Ward C and they have their chat... was that guy saying basically that somehow Ted led the officials back to him after he got out and they brought him back to lure Ted back to the island as well?

Tried to hid as best as possible.

Well, the end answered most of it I guess.... awesome movie.
06-13-2010 09:56 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(06-08-2010 11:52 PM)jh Wrote:  

Evil Dead was f*cking awesome! Not sure if it was intentional, but it seemed like a spoof horror movie. I thought the film had plenty of humorous moments. Evil Dead II, what's the point? The ending was great though.
06-17-2010 11:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.