Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: The movie thread
(03-21-2018 05:16 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 09:16 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Batman: Gotham by Gaslight / BR
--Brother got this, and man... so dark, so riveting with some of the character placements as in characters as you have know them in slightly different roles. I really liked it. The bonus features were legit as well.

So is this one worthy of having in the library? I was so put off by 'The Killing Joke' and Haley Quinn that I had stopped automatically purchasing the DCAU titles.

I got Killing Joke last year for my birthday and my brother bought the Harley Quinn. Yes, this one is a lot better than both. It has the same character names and genders but the traditional roles and motives are different. Its set in like the 1800s.
03-21-2018 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(03-21-2018 07:11 AM)JTiger Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 09:16 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Justice League / BR
--I liked it. My only beef with the movie was The Flash's comic relief and somehow Cyborg kind of bugged me. I really liked Steppenwolf. Much better than DoJ.

Jessica Jones S2 / NF
--a solid S2 IMO. I liked the background filler info.

Top Gun / BR
--just like the movie

Cyborg was kind of a downer.

I just started JJ S2 and have high hopes for it but it's tough to follow the Killgrave villain. He was really good.

What Top Gun are you referring to? The 1986 one or is there a new one that I need to drop everything to see. I LOVED this move as a kid and is still in my top 5 best movies. The magic of flight, Americana, and before Tom Cruise got weird. What's not to like?

I think they start filming Top Gun 2 this summer. But yes, this is was the OG one on BR.

JJS2 does a really good job on filling in background information about her and and her relationship to adopted family. That's all I'll offer so I don't give off any spoilers.
03-21-2018 11:35 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Tomb Raider (new) / theater
--Never played the video games although I am familiar with the franchise. I liked Angelina Jolie's two movies tied to the character of Laura Croft. I did think the 2nd movie was better than the first though. Anyway, what I liked about this version of the cinematic version of Laura Croft/Tomb Raider is it was way more realistic, less cgi, less humor... basically, a more focused effort set into the "real world." I also liked the more "real world" take on the artifact and the mission to "obtain" it. The only real logic fallacy I found with the movie was why was she broke and on her own and not living at her dad's house at that point? I'd be game for another movie from this team.
03-24-2018 10:16 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
y'all can tear me up all you want but the best movie I saw in 2017 was far and away 'Call Me By Your Name'. Amazing chemistry from the actors, beautiful setting/cinematography, and the perfect book adaptation. I was happy to see it nominated for 4 Academy Awards and even more happy to see it win one.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/call_me_by_your_name/

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen...ew/546872/

https://slate.com/arts/2017/11/call-me-b...iewed.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi...887526001/
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2018 02:18 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-25-2018 12:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
So I finally saw Justice League. It's not as bad as everyone made it out to be. But it is evident that forcing Zac Synder to make BvS instead of MoS2 killed the dream of the DCEU.

(03-25-2018 12:40 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  y'all can tear me up all you want but the best movie I saw in 2017 was far and away 'Call Me By Your Name'. Amazing chemistry from the actors, beautiful setting/cinematography, and the perfect book adaptation. I was happy to see it nominated for 4 Academy Awards and even more happy to see it win one.

I don't think anyone would tear you up for a movie few on this board have seen. I mean I never heard of it until you posted it. But the fact you thought it was a well done book adaptation is intriguing.
03-25-2018 06:03 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-25-2018 06:03 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 12:40 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  y'all can tear me up all you want but the best movie I saw in 2017 was far and away 'Call Me By Your Name'. Amazing chemistry from the actors, beautiful setting/cinematography, and the perfect book adaptation. I was happy to see it nominated for 4 Academy Awards and even more happy to see it win one.

I don't think anyone would tear you up for a movie few on this board have seen. I mean I never heard of it until you posted it. But the fact you thought it was a well done book adaptation is intriguing.

just because James Ivory stayed so true to the book yet managed to make it work so perfectly on screen. (the AA it won was for best adapted screenplay)

Here's an example. Elio actually verbalized his internal monologue of 'because I wanted you yo know' over and over and it actually works. I also love how the director takes the scene as one continuous take...not a single break in the shot.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2018 06:50 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-25-2018 06:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2018 06:37 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  just because James Ivory stayed so true to the book yet managed to make it work so perfectly on screen. (the AA it won was for best adapted screenplay)

Like I said, good book adaptations are always interesting to me, especially since so few seem to work. Even ones that people thought were done well like 'The Martian' and 'Hidden Figures' I felt were lacking a little in the translation to film.
03-25-2018 07:55 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
worst I’ve seen is The Lost World. Amazing book and terrible movie.
03-25-2018 08:05 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(03-24-2018 10:16 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Tomb Raider (new) / theater
--Never played the video games although I am familiar with the franchise. I liked Angelina Jolie's two movies tied to the character of Laura Croft. I did think the 2nd movie was better than the first though. Anyway, what I liked about this version of the cinematic version of Laura Croft/Tomb Raider is it was way more realistic, less cgi, less humor... basically, a more focused effort set into the "real world." I also liked the more "real world" take on the artifact and the mission to "obtain" it. The only real logic fallacy I found with the movie was why was she broke and on her own and not living at her dad's house at that point? I'd be game for another movie from this team.

I saw the new Tomb Raider as well.

I'd put it in that category of "why did they feel the need to remake it?"

Angelina's Lara Croft was pretty good. Movies were fun and entertaining. While I LOVE Alicia Vikander, I was just "meh" on this movie. It felt unnecessary.

Just IMHO.
03-26-2018 07:00 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2018 08:05 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  worst I’ve seen is The Lost World. Amazing book and terrible movie.

Ender's Game was the same for me.

(03-26-2018 07:00 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(03-24-2018 10:16 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Tomb Raider (new) / theater

I saw the new Tomb Raider as well.

I'd put it in that category of "why did they feel the need to remake it?"

Angelina's Lara Croft was pretty good. Movies were fun and entertaining. While I LOVE Alicia Vikander, I was just "meh" on this movie. It felt unnecessary.

Just IMHO.

They felt a more grounded version of the movie would better lend itself to franchising.
03-26-2018 04:23 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

Had some time this week, so......

Pacific Rim II - It's what I'd call a typical Hollywood "blockbuster" these days, a whole lot of meh. A bunch of special effects surrounding a recycled theme, a bland story, and uninteresting characters. You walk away after 2 hours going " it wasn't great, wasn't horrible, but I feel like I wasted 2 hours". As god as the first one was, this one is mediocre. Wait for Redbox.

Ready Player One - I really really liked this movie. It took some basic themes and freshened them up to the point where they seemed more original. Effects were good and the look back at old school pop culture and paying it homage was outstanding. It's a fun, cool movie. Definitely worth the theater time.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 08:54 AM by BadgerMJ.)
03-31-2018 08:53 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(03-31-2018 08:53 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  Had some time this week, so......

Pacific Rim II - It's what I'd call a typical Hollywood "blockbuster" these days, a whole lot of meh. A bunch of special effects surrounding a recycled theme, a bland story, and uninteresting characters. You walk away after 2 hours going " it wasn't great, wasn't horrible, but I feel like I wasted 2 hours". As god as the first one was, this one is mediocre. Wait for Redbox.

Ready Player One - I really really liked this movie. It took some basic themes and freshened them up to the point where they seemed more original. Effects were good and the look back at old school pop culture and paying it homage was outstanding. It's a fun, cool movie. Definitely worth the theater time.

My brother has seen both and was more into Ready Player One. I have seen neither.
03-31-2018 11:45 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

My son went to see Ready Player One this weekend and really liked it

He said he would see it again and he usually doesn't say that about any movie
04-02-2018 08:39 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(04-02-2018 08:39 AM)JTiger Wrote:  

Along with being a pretty cool movie, if you were a young adult in the 80's & 90's, you'll LOVE the pop culture references.

Found myself Smiling like a Cheshire cat several times.
04-02-2018 08:56 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2018 11:32 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 05:16 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 09:16 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Batman: Gotham by Gaslight / BR
--Brother got this, and man... so dark, so riveting with some of the character placements as in characters as you have know them in slightly different roles. I really liked it. The bonus features were legit as well.

So is this one worthy of having in the library? I was so put off by 'The Killing Joke' and Haley Quinn that I had stopped automatically purchasing the DCAU titles.

I got Killing Joke last year for my birthday and my brother bought the Harley Quinn. Yes, this one is a lot better than both. It has the same character names and genders but the traditional roles and motives are different. Its set in like the 1800s.

Finally saw it. Definitely better than the last two, but not at the same place of JL: Dark or Batman: Assault on Arhkam. The next installment of the DCAU Suicide Squad did not inspire confidence.
04-08-2018 06:45 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Mission Impossible III/BR
--The concepts and the villain sell this movie IMO.

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol / BR
--I liked the set up about being in Ghost Protocol and who he has to work with

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation / BR
--A really well thought out and intriguing plot.

The Bourne Legacy / BR
--I think the movie's only real problem is its forced tie in to Jason Bourne with stuff surrounding Jason Bourne directly tied in.

Passion of the Christ / dvd
--it needed to be that real...

Prince of Egypt / dvd
--Pretty good tale.

A Quiet Place / Theater
-- I liked the concepts a lot but some of the logic gaps IMO really kind of hurt my full enjoyment of it.

Skyfall / BR
--one of my top Bonds

Spectre / BR
--Lots of interesting elements. Lots of cool stuff. It just somehow missed the thing to make it great.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 10:43 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
04-10-2018 10:36 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-02-2018 08:56 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 08:39 AM)JTiger Wrote:  

Along with being a pretty cool movie, if you were a young adult in the 80's & 90's, you'll LOVE the pop culture references.

Found myself Smiling like a Cheshire cat several times.

I saw Ready Player One last week with my 18 year old. I ended up enjoying the movie more than he did, likely due to the pop references and the great 80s and 90s soundtrack.
04-11-2018 01:51 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
Sorry if this is a #latepass, but has anyone gotten Movie Pass? It's absolutely changed my life. Since getting it in August I've been to the theater 21 times, which in NYC would normally cost me about $360. Instead I'm paying $8 a month. Saw Blockers this past Saturday (really funny movie) and Death of Stalin yesterday. It's probably the best subscription service I've ever had
04-11-2018 03:47 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Assassin’s Creed is really good, especially if you are a fan of the AC games. But even if you are not, the blend of history with science fiction is awesome!!!
04-12-2018 12:50 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(04-11-2018 03:47 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  Sorry if this is a #latepass, but has anyone gotten Movie Pass? It's absolutely changed my life. Since getting it in August I've been to the theater 21 times, which in NYC would normally cost me about $360. Instead I'm paying $8 a month. Saw Blockers this past Saturday (really funny movie) and Death of Stalin yesterday. It's probably the best subscription service I've ever had

I signed up with Movie Pass a few months ago. It's been overwhelmingly positive. Anyone who sees more than 1 movie a month should definitely look into this.

The only complaint I have (and it's not that big a deal) is that they consider "one per day" to be a 24 hr period, NOT the next calendar day.

Outside that, it's probably the best $8 per month you can spend.
04-12-2018 06:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.