Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: The movie thread
(07-06-2016 01:59 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 10:58 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Independence Day Resurgence/ theater
--ehhh....it was a cash grab based on the prior movie. I did like the way they played out the advancement of tech based on the events of the first movie's scenario. While the first one definitely had its hokey moments the newer one had more and felt more "forced."

Well, the first movie was certainly a cash grab. If you want to point to patient zero in Hollywood's trend of movies that put all their time, energy and money into effects in lieu of plot and dialog, it's Independence Day. Never before that movie was there so much simultaneous praise of special effects and derision of story. I think cynicism has always been a component of the movie industry but it sure seems like ID was its coming out party. Would we have had the Michael Bay Transformers movies without ID?

The first one was not 100% effects driven although I could see where you say that as the promos for it were all about the white house taking a big laser to the roof. Transformers already had its movie in 1986 (or 87) but it was animated and didn't perform well. Michael Bay has always done big action scene movies and if he got the rights to do a live action Transformers movie it would be in his wheel house. The biggest downfall of his first three movies was force feeding the love story angle.
07-06-2016 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(07-06-2016 09:55 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 10:58 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Independence Day Resurgence/ theater
--ehhh....it was a cash grab based on the prior movie. I did like the way they played out the advancement of tech based on the events of the first movie's scenario. While the first one definitely had its hokey moments the newer one had more and felt more "forced."

Well, the first movie was certainly a cash grab. If you want to point to patient zero in Hollywood's trend of movies that put all their time, energy and money into effects in lieu of plot and dialog, it's Independence Day. Never before that movie was there so much simultaneous praise of special effects and derision of story. I think cynicism has always been a component of the movie industry but it sure seems like ID was its coming out party. Would we have had the Michael Bay Transformers movies without ID?

The first one was not 100% effects driven although I could see where you say that as the promos for it were all about the white house taking a big laser to the roof.

The promos?! Did you actually see the film? 61% on Rotten Tomatoes. OK, let's dial it down from 100% to 90%. Or 80% The point still stands.

Quote:Transformers already had its movie in 1986 (or 87) but it was animated and didn't perform well.

I have no idea what point this is making.

Quote:Michael Bay has always done big action scene movies and if he got the rights to do a live action Transformers movie it would be in his wheel house.

I'm not saying the theme isn't tailor-made for Bay. I'm saying ID laid the groundwork for all the big effects/crappy story movies that followed, including the Transformer series.

Quote:The biggest downfall of his first three movies was force feeding the love story angle.

I would have said: Confused story lines, poor story context for non-Transformers fans, high density frenetic-to-chaotic visual and sound effects. Bad dialog, poor to non-existent character development and faulty character relationships are valid criticisms but a little farther down my list.
07-06-2016 02:40 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-06-2016 02:40 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  

The first one was not 100% effects driven although I could see where you say that as the promos for it were all about the white house taking a big laser to the roof.

The promos?! Did you actually see the film? 61% on Rotten Tomatoes. OK, let's dial it down from 100% to 90%. Or 80% The point still stands.

I own it on dvd and BR and saw it in theaters when it came out. It was about an alien invasion of Earth and about "the world" uniting to stop them. Basing a movie on a Rotten Tomatoes meta score? LOL. Yes, the film has some big time special FX but it wasn't billed as such...it was billed as a tale of people uniting.

Quote:Transformers already had its movie in 1986 (or 87) but it was animated and didn't perform well.

I have no idea what point this is making.
Pointing out Transformers already had a movie in theaters before Bay did anything with the franchise and he was making movies in and around that time frame. Transformers was no more of a CGI spectacular than say Avatar but its nuance was it got vehicles to robots-- a feat only previously accomplished by its various animated tv shows and its own movie.

Quote:Michael Bay has always done big action scene movies and if he got the rights to do a live action Transformers movie it would be in his wheel house.

I'm not saying the theme isn't tailor-made for Bay. I'm saying ID laid the groundwork for all the big effects/crappy story movies that followed, including the Transformer series.

Strictly Transformers speaking, it wasn't a bad story line for what they wanted to do and bring their universe into a live action setting but the part where the movie was let down in was trying to force a love story angle into it. And there were plenty of big FX movies that sucked before ID4.

Quote:The biggest downfall of his first three movies was force feeding the love story angle.

I would have said: Confused story lines, poor story context for non-Transformers fans, high density frenetic-to-chaotic visual and sound effects. Bad dialog, poor to non-existent character development and faulty character relationships are valid criticisms but a little farther down my list.

LOL, you don't watch Transformers for character development. How in-depth do you go into a origin story on how the Transformers are in this universe? Also, some of the cannon material varies depending on how you view the G1 tv show, the Beast Wars/Machines series, the comics, and then the redux of the cannon they put out to explain the series anew. I mean, and depending on what you know of the Transformers universe, you get into Quentessants (sp?), Unicron/ Cybertron(?, I can't recall if his brother was Cybertron directly or he formed Cyberton himself, also the war that really lead to the splitting along Autobot/Decepticon lines.
07-07-2016 11:22 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I'm sorry, I just don't see how any of that addresses my point. I know you're a big cartoon guy - did you think I was trashing them? My point about ID4 being all FX/no story wasn't that it was a *bad* movie. And this isn't exactly a controversial or uncommon POV: Most critics will agree that ID4 ushered in an era of blockbuster movie making and part of this new era is that plot/story/dialog isn't nearly as important as it was prior to ID4. In that context, it's easy to understand how Michael Bay's Transformer movies (and again, I'm not saying anything you can't read in lots of places) could be made. Those screenplays are film-school-drop-out compared to ID4 but because of their incredible FX still made a ton of money. That is a pretty good definition of cash grab: Spend more money on FX to get more money in the box office. Thankfully, there are still blockbuster movies that love the story and the characters as much as the explosions (as examples, I think a lot of the recent DC and Marvel movies stand out).
07-08-2016 12:02 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Beverly Hills Cop trilogy / dvd
--Just wanted to break out the old school buddy cop movies. I personally thought all three were strong in their own rite.

The Matrix trilogy / BR
--With so much weird stuff at work I put those in to see if I could solve the riddles at work LOL. I liked the movies but I was still miffed about how the resolved the story and I swear the Animatrix contradicts somethings.
07-10-2016 08:56 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Ghostbusters/theater
--not bad actually. The comedy was pretty good. About the only thing I would say was a drawback was the lack of "motivation" for the paranormal activity in the city and what was offered wasn't "explained" very well. I'd tell anyone to sit till the final credits end--nice end scene...
07-15-2016 09:49 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
...watched The Shallows this weekend...

not bad for a Jaws-type film
07-18-2016 09:54 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

The first one was not 100% effects driven although I could see where you say that as the promos for it were all about the white house taking a big laser to the roof. Transformers already had its movie in 1986 (or 87) but it was animated and didn't perform well. Michael Bay has always done big action scene movies and if he got the rights to do a live action Transformers movie it would be in his wheel house. The biggest downfall of his first three movies was force feeding the love story angle.

I liked ID4 (the original) - alien and Area 51 themes were big in general during that time, and I loved the X Files so the movie was right up my alley. Some hokey Hollywood stuff and cliches throughout, but still thought it was well done. And I'm not normally into BigCGI summer movies.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 02:45 PM by Motown Bronco.)
07-20-2016 02:44 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
IMO, 3rd Movies that were better than the 2nd Movies in a series:

Oceans 13 - After really enjoying Oceans 11, I was thoroughly disappointed in Oceans 12. It was meandering, disjointed, and felt like a bunch of celebrities just mailing it in. Oceans 13 put it back in Vegas, added Al Pacino, and captured some of the wit and energy the first one had (but still not as good as the first one).

Harold & Kumar Christmas - The Guantameno one was pretty much devoid of laughs and too clumsy, but this third one was funny throughout, much like the first one.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - OK, I should emphasize that I do love Temple of Doom, but I'd give that a B+... the whole Indian temple thing and ditzy blonde wore out its welcome after a while. But Last Crusade was right back to kicking Nazi arse with the great addition of Sean Connery, and earned an A+ from me, just like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The Bourne Ultimatum - This third installment was my favorite of the entire series, really.

Honorable mention:

Die Hard with a Vengeance - I'm not sure if I like this one better than the Die Hard in an Airport or not. Call it a tie.

Any others?
07-20-2016 02:58 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was not only better than For a Few Dollars More, it was better than A Fistful of Dollars. That said, they're all classics.

If you'll accept the Star Wars prequel movies as a trilogy, I guess Episode III is best but that's not saying much. Least bad, really.

I like The Dark Knight best of the Dark Knight Trilogy, but there's an argument that Dark Knight Rises is better than Batman Begins (I know that's not what you asked, but it's a variation on the theme, yeah?)
07-20-2016 04:15 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
lost in ls mancha terry gilliam's quest to film don quixote. this is my favorite book and it's so beautiful he failed so miserably. don quixote is one of those cursed film projects and terry is a very gifted director. i in fact want him to direct my film.

too ambitious for even terry. remarkable.

while googling terry gilliam, conveniently, news pops up that he's still refusing to quit

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/te...ible-cast/

and in '13

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/no...te-project

and after 20 years, it looks like a go

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318517/

it's as if terry gilliam is don quixote. and we are better for it
07-22-2016 11:45 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
Watched Star Trek Beyond yesterday; loved every second of it.
07-23-2016 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-23-2016 08:47 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  Watched Star Trek Beyond yesterday; loved every second of it.

Yeah, it was pretty good.

Original Star Trek TV / NF
--Finished S3. I liked original show more so than what followed in terms of TV but that is somewhat limited as I only watched a hand full of TNG shows and I couldn't get into it. Never really watched any of the other spin offs. I did like most of the "original" movies though.

Jurassic Park/ BR
--Just wanted to see it.

Dirty Harry set / dvd
--Nothing like a good crime movie.

Indiana Jones I - IV / BR
--I liked all of them for various reasons but If I were to rank them I would go II>I>III>IV.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2016 09:48 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
07-23-2016 09:17 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-20-2016 02:58 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  IMO, 3rd Movies that were better than the 2nd Movies in a series:

Oceans 13 - After really enjoying Oceans 11, I was thoroughly disappointed in Oceans 12. It was meandering, disjointed, and felt like a bunch of celebrities just mailing it in. Oceans 13 put it back in Vegas, added Al Pacino, and captured some of the wit and energy the first one had (but still not as good as the first one).
I can't say I liked one over the other in terms of the series.

Harold & Kumar Christmas - The Guantameno one was pretty much devoid of laughs and too clumsy, but this third one was funny throughout, much like the first one.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - OK, I should emphasize that I do love Temple of Doom, but I'd give that a B+... the whole Indian temple thing and ditzy blonde wore out its welcome after a while. But Last Crusade was right back to kicking Nazi arse with the great addition of Sean Connery, and earned an A+ from me, just like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I liked Last Crusade till the hit the ghost knight at the end.... that just bugge the hell out of me.

The Bourne Ultimatum - This third installment was my favorite of the entire series, really.
Tough call for me there as I love each one and I liked the resolution of going back to the beginning.

Honorable mention:

Die Hard with a Vengeance - I'm not sure if I like this one better than the Die Hard in an Airport or not. Call it a tie.
Tough call for me on this one. I personally thought it was cash grab by Willis and then they threw in Sam as a token antagonist. That said, I did like it was ____'s brother angle along with the riddles and what not. I'd say of the first set, I'd go 2>1>3.

Any others?

The Enforcer over Magnum Force: Hmmmm too tough to call IMO.

Goldfinger over From Russia With Love: Hmmm Odd Job was the man, but I kind of felt the train trip through Europe more than Goldfinger.

Transformers Dark of the Moon over Revenge of the Fallen: YES. Better execution of the story elements and more interesting plot lines...as well as better film editing LOL. That said, by the 3rd movie I was sick of Sam's love story killing the buzz of the film

Beyond Thunderdome over Mad Max: YES. Thunderdome and Tina Turner were the hooks to make that statement.

Jedi over Empire: NO, but Jedi was way more "fun" in a action kind of way.
*** Episode III over Episode II: NO, but mainly because III had to end a certain way and I got into the whole Clones set up.

Beverly Hills Cop III over II: I won't like, I liked the set up to III and a lot of its elements but I would say II is better.

Police Academy III over II: Yeah.... but not by much.

Alien III over Aliens: HELL TO THE NO

Hannibal over Silence of the Lambs: No, SotL was way to iconic. I did like Hannibal though. *FWIW, Manhunter was the first in the series.

Star Trek III over II: Hmmm, Kahn made II and III didn't have that kind of level of villain. So I'd go no.

Blade III over II: HELL NO. II was such a bad ass movie that I can't figure out how it went to **** in #3.

Matrix III over II: No, but that was mainly about how they resolved their story.

Ironman III over II: No due mainly to the fact that I did actually like II better but the Extremis plot was better executed in the animated series for it.

Batman Forever over Batman Returns: As much as I liked Jim Carey as the Riddler and some stuff in the movie, II was better.

Batman Dark Knight Rises over The Dark Knight: NOPE. Although, I thought Bane was executed MUCH better than his prior big screen outing.

Superman III over II: NOPE. They really screwed it up with how they underused Richard Pryor in that movie. Also, Zod was so much of a bad ass that III couldn't have had a better villain.
07-23-2016 09:47 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Batman vs. Superman DoJ DC / BR
--After watching the special features I went straight to the DC of the movie. While yes I think 3 hours is a bit much for a super hero movie, I liked this cut--the movie felt more whole with the added footage. I still can't quite get the hate the movie got. I mean in any canon I have ever seen, both Batman and Superman never really saw eye to eye till they finally got to forming the Justice League and even then they kind of had a relationship where they didn't necessarily give off buddy buddy vibes all the time. I think its dark tone was kind of needed to be a) anti-Marvel conventions and b) a set up for why they all need to get together to fight crime. I do think they could have done more with Wonder Woman in it though, granted she wasn't in the title and was getting her own movie anyway. I'm not 100% sure what the best way would have been to get into the whole "Meta-human" angle of DC heroes and villains but it had to at least be shown that there could be a talent pool of allies for them to associate with if they were in the process of starting and assembling the Justice League.
07-24-2016 10:04 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
melancholia. a woman's life unravels just in time for the end of the world! lars von trier, while i refuse to watch some of his films, is a visionary. this world needs more john hurt

the trip. is steve coogan always this self deprecating? i love it
07-25-2016 09:15 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Operation Condor 1 and 2 / BR
--Wanted some old school Jackie Chan stuff. I am amazed at how good the prints are for these old movies on BR.
07-26-2016 10:34 AM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
Watched Suicide Squad this morning; story was a bit disjointed, but it was a lot of fun otherwise. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. Easily the most entertaining DC movie to date.
08-05-2016 08:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(08-05-2016 08:14 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  Watched Suicide Squad this morning; story was a bit disjointed, but it was a lot of fun otherwise. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. Easily the most entertaining DC movie to date.

Saw it tonight. I liked it more so than DoJ because it had the better mix of comedy and action than DoJ. Harley Quin was nailed IMO. Waller felt good. I liked Letto's Joker. The tat's seemed a little overkill but it worked.
08-05-2016 10:17 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(07-23-2016 08:47 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  Watched Star Trek Beyond yesterday; loved every second of it.

Easily the best Trek since First Contact.
08-06-2016 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.