Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: The movie thread
Catching Fire- BR- I liked it just as much as the original Hunger Games

Grown Ups 1&2- BR- Not a sophisticated comedy series or heavy plot lines, but just two movies about guys busting each other's balls.. Reminds me of me and my buddies.

The November Man- DVD- I didn't have much interest in this movie until I did some reading on it, that being said, very good movie. Pierce Brosnan might be old, but he didn't act it in the movie. Action was great and so was the story.

A Time To Kill- DVD- I just finished reading Sycamore Row and decided to watch this afterwards to kinda refresh my memory. One of the best books to movies by Grisham in my opinion.

Heaven is for Real- DVR- I recorded this one weekend on a free view type thing. Honestly, I wouldn't skip church or base my religion off of it, but it was a good feel good movie.

How Do You Know- DVD- My wife had this come in through Netflix. Yea it's a chick flick, but it has its moments.
01-05-2015 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
wild. spoilers woman loses her mother, deals with it via heroine and f*cking anything in sight. her husband divorces her (for some reason) and she's pregnant. she has an idea whom the father might be. so she aborts that thing and sets off on a 1,000 mile hike along the pacific crest trail with no back country skills (she can't even set up a tent) her only money being sympathy money from what her ex husband sends her. and she writes a book about it, it gets made into a movie.

to be fair, people f*ck up. one decision can affect the rest of your life. the hike was a way for her to put her faults on her shoulders and let them fall off step by step and by the end of the trail she's light as a feather. every day she wanted to quit the trail but the nearer the end got she was afraid of what that might mean

her. if this wasn't a spike jonze film, i would have no interest. set in the near future. operating systems can be customized for each user. the operating systems have the ability to evolve. one man (the ever magnificent joaquin phoenix) develops a romantic relationship with his os (voiced by scarlett johansson). it's totally normal for him to do that in this time. what i thought was going to be a satire on people's love affair with their gadgets, wasn't quite that. it really was about love, whatever it means
01-06-2015 10:46 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
For the love of god........go see the imitation game.

One of the best movies I've ever seen, both because of the acting and the heartbreaking true story.

Truly a tale that deserved to be told.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 02:50 AM by Razor Ramon Monarch.)
01-08-2015 02:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I guess I haven't heard of this movie, but you're the 2nd I've seen say its good.
01-08-2015 08:04 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Alan Turing helped save millions of lives in ww2.

He was also the main person responsible for the eventual invention of the computer (they were originally known as Turing machines).

Despite all that he did for humanity, he was also chemically castrated for being a homosexual by the British government.

So yeah, it's definitely a movie that deserves peoples attention.
01-09-2015 04:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-05-2015 10:12 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Catching Fire- BR- I liked it just as much as the original Hunger Games

Grown Ups 1&2- BR- Not a sophisticated comedy series or heavy plot lines, but just two movies about guys busting each other's balls.. Reminds me of me and my buddies.

The November Man- DVD- I didn't have much interest in this movie until I did some reading on it, that being said, very good movie. Pierce Brosnan might be old, but he didn't act it in the movie. Action was great and so was the story.

A Time To Kill- DVD- I just finished reading Sycamore Row and decided to watch this afterwards to kinda refresh my memory. One of the best books to movies by Grisham in my opinion.

Heaven is for Real- DVR- I recorded this one weekend on a free view type thing. Honestly, I wouldn't skip church or base my religion off of it, but it was a good feel good movie.

How Do You Know- DVD- My wife had this come in through Netflix. Yea it's a chick flick, but it has its moments.

November Man worth checking out eh? hmmm

Mission Impossible / BR
--Tome Cruise's first entry in the series and I find it the best spy one of the 4. IMO, its only real drawback was the helicopter in the train tunnel scene.

Jurassic Park / BR
--A pretty solid fantasy movie and I still think it is the best of the original trilogy. The BR transfer did do the movie good justice in a lot of areas over the dvd release but it still had patches that weren't clean.

Star Trek ___: The Wrath of Kahn / NetFlix
--A cool movie IMO. I did kind of like the remix in Into Darkness from a story standpoint more.

Star Trek __: The Search for Spock / Net Flix
--I liked how they did it..I just found the original tv series cast outings in the movies better than the other castings sans the two new ones.

Brick Mansions / Net Flix
--Interesting Paul Walker led cop drama in the projects aka brick mansions. The martial arts on display is pretty good and really, all of the action. Some of the plot twists were surprising. I liked watching it and I would buy it on a killer sale.
01-09-2015 10:33 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
When The Game Stands Tall- DVD- Movie based on De La Salle High School's streak and how it ended. How the team and the staff dealt with it and with the loss of a former teammate. That's the plot you read. Basically it's this. It's a movie for inspiration. Showing the value of team work and depending on each other. Also it intertwines spiritual aspects to it. All in all, I enjoyed it. You didn't have filthy language through it. All kids could watch it, I think there's one part where someone says screw you and a guy calls another one stupid. That's as harsh as it gets.
01-10-2015 11:06 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Caught the original Ocean's 11 the other night for the umteenth time on ESQ. It is a really entertaining flick. Certainly not a great movie but an enjoyable one when you are looking for empty calories. Rat Pack at their prime.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 01:07 PM by QuestionSocratic.)
01-10-2015 01:06 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I watched a few classics this weekend..

The Big Lebowski-DVD- Definitely one of those movies that really doesn't have a point, but is fun to watch.

The Departed-DVD- Truly in all the killing, who was the crooked ones and who weren't?

Fight Club-BR- Honestly, was my first time watching it all the way through. I've always caught it on TV at the beginning, middle, or end.. My wife bought this a couple years back and even then I watched it and fell asleep at some point. It's a good movie, just gotta watch and look for the little things.

Joe Dirt- DVD- With talk of the sequel coming up, I figured I'd pull out this classic. Yea there's some stupid parts, but the hotness of Brandy, Christopher Walken's as a janitor, and all the stupidity that is Joe Dirt is what keeps me watching this movie repeatedly.

Tombstone- DVD- This is quite possibly one of my all time favorite movies. So much so, that I used to could recite the lines. No matter if it's historically accurate, the cast is outstanding, Val Kilmer's take on Doc Holliday is what draws most everyone in, but personally I enjoyed Sam Elliot's Virgil Earp.

The War- HBO- I think it was made in 1994, but it's a movie about a family in Mississippi after the Vietnam War. Great cast and story. My wife called it a feel good movie, me not so much.. But it is a tear jerker.
01-12-2015 08:20 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-10-2015 01:06 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Caught the original Ocean's 11 the other night for the umteenth time on ESQ. It is a really entertaining flick. Certainly not a great movie but an enjoyable one when you are looking for empty calories. Rat Pack at their prime.

It is a good movie. Watched it back in the 90's.
01-12-2015 12:57 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(01-12-2015 08:20 AM)gdunn Wrote:  I watched a few classics this weekend..

The Big Lebowski-DVD- Definitely one of those movies that really doesn't have a point, but is fun to watch.
Not that I didn't like it but I failed to get the big deal on it.

The Departed-DVD- Truly in all the killing, who was the crooked ones and who weren't?
To some degree, I think that was the point. But then again, it also went into do you go so undercover that you can't tell what side you are on? Then you can get into the whole corrupt police, gangsters running the show, ect end on the movie as well. I'd say take a look at the "Internal Affairs" trilogy if you want to see how the Hong Kong original played out on plot points. That said, I loved the movie!

Fight Club-BR- Honestly, was my first time watching it all the way through. I've always caught it on TV at the beginning, middle, or end.. My wife bought this a couple years back and even then I watched it and fell asleep at some point. It's a good movie, just gotta watch and look for the little things.
Another movie that while I don't dislike, I don't get the big deal on it.

Joe Dirt- DVD- With talk of the sequel coming up, I figured I'd pull out this classic. Yea there's some stupid parts, but the hotness of Brandy, Christopher Walken's as a janitor, and all the stupidity that is Joe Dirt is what keeps me watching this movie repeatedly.
I actually thought movie was one of Spade's best movies he ever did. I actually kind felt the general premise was rather heartwarming for a Spade movie.

Tombstone- DVD- This is quite possibly one of my all time favorite movies. So much so, that I used to could recite the lines. No matter if it's historically accurate, the cast is outstanding, Val Kilmer's take on Doc Holliday is what draws most everyone in, but personally I enjoyed Sam Elliot's Virgil Earp.

The War- HBO- I think it was made in 1994, but it's a movie about a family in Mississippi after the Vietnam War. Great cast and story. My wife called it a feel good movie, me not so much.. But it is a tear jerker.
01-13-2015 12:26 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-13-2015 12:26 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Movie appeals to stoners....

To some degree, I think that was the point. But then again, it also went into do you go so undercover that you can't tell what side you are on? Then you can get into the whole corrupt police, gangsters running the show, ect end on the movie as well. I'd say take a look at the "Internal Affairs" trilogy if you want to see how the Hong Kong original played out on plot points. That said, I loved the movie!

Nearly every mob and prison movie share the theme that the authoriies are corrupt and the prisoners/mob guys are on the moral high ground...

I actually thought movie was one of Spade's best movies he ever did. I actually kind felt the general premise was rather heartwarming for a Spade movie.

I think the only redeeming quality of this movie was the hotness of Brandy.

Big fan of Tombstone as well. This movie was 100% better than Kevin Coster's "Wyatt Earp".

01-13-2015 09:39 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
The thing about the Big Lebowski is just the dialogue. That's what I enjoy about it..

Fight Club, again I never saw, my wife found it for $5 and bought it. While it's ok, it's not one i'll pull out and watch when I want a movie to watch.
01-13-2015 12:41 PM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
Curious if anyone is watching a series on Netflix right now. I finished Breaking Bad and looking for another series.

Preference - Trying to find something for the wife and I to watch (she watched BB so she can watch a show with majority male cast.)

We will be watching " Better call Saul" on AMC in Feb
01-13-2015 03:30 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-13-2015 03:30 PM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  Curious if anyone is watching a series on Netflix right now. I finished Breaking Bad and looking for another series.

Preference - Trying to find something for the wife and I to watch (she watched BB so she can watch a show with majority male cast.)

just started Peaky Blinders. Only watched one episode, but seems cool. I'm a sucker for a period piece, so I'm a little biased
01-13-2015 04:05 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
The Blacklist. First season is there.
01-13-2015 04:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(01-13-2015 03:30 PM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  Curious if anyone is watching a series on Netflix right now. I finished Breaking Bad and looking for another series.

Working through Justice League, original Star Trek, Magnum P.I., Miami Vice, and Knight Rider.
01-13-2015 09:02 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(01-13-2015 09:39 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(01-13-2015 12:26 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Movie appeals to stoners....

Nearly every mob and prison movie share the theme that the authoriies are corrupt and the prisoners/mob guys are on the moral high ground...

Honestly, I don't think anyone got the moral high ground vote in this one...even the shrink trying to help DiCaprio and Damon LOL. Well maybe Mark Wahlberg's character LOL.

I think the only redeeming quality of this movie was the hotness of Brandy.

Big fan of Tombstone as well. This movie was 100% better than Kevin Coster's "Wyatt Earp".

01-13-2015 09:04 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
The thing I wonder at the end of "The Departed".. Was Walburgh's character corrupt and seeking revenge for the mob boss or was he seeking revenge for his slain boss at the State Police?
01-14-2015 09:36 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(01-14-2015 09:36 AM)gdunn Wrote:  The thing I wonder at the end of "The Departed".. Was Walburgh's character corrupt and seeking revenge for the mob boss or was he seeking revenge for his slain boss at the State Police?

Honestly, I haven't seen the original HK trilogy in over a year and only watched each one once or twice that I am not sure how his move at the end played out.

Starr Trek __: The Undiscovered Country/ NF stream
--I liked the plot and plot twists but something didn't feel right about it. I did like Sulu getting his own ship though.
01-14-2015 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.