Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: The movie thread
(11-04-2014 12:13 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Other than being direct to video, how do they compare to the original?

Hmmmmm

I need to watch the first one again and the 2nd again to give a good comment. About the best I can offer is that 2 and 3 are putting Edgar Frog in early 20s to late 20s hardened by the events of the first movie mood towards vampires and life in general. From my memories of the first one it was more pre-teen level of outlook on Vampires and the goings on in the town.
11-04-2014 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
It's been ages since I've seen the original.. But I always thought it was pretty good..
11-05-2014 01:57 PM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
I have never heard of the machete order of watching Star Wars. I'm absolutely trying this soon since it's been ages since I've seen any of the movies.
11-06-2014 10:19 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(11-05-2014 01:57 PM)gdunn Wrote:  It's been ages since I've seen the original.. But I always thought it was pretty good..

The Lost Boys / BR
--A Teenage tale of the new kind on the block moving into a small coastal town and finding out via local teenage Frog brothers who run the local comic book store that the town has a vampire infestation. The newcomers older brother gets bit and he tries to save him via the hel of the Frog brothers. A pretty good movie IMO.

@ GD

All three are solid vampire tales/movies. I'd argue that your level of liking each one would depend on your affinity for The Two Coreys or the core tale.
11-06-2014 05:26 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Might have to put all 3 on the Netflix que and see what happens..

I have a riveting movie to watch tonight.. Disney's "Bears"...
11-08-2014 08:09 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
So we watched Disney's Bears this weekend.

First off it's a nature documentary that was shot in the wild of Alaska. The footage is great. John C. Reily did the narrating which made some of the scenes kinda funny. Overall it's not bad.. It's a little over an hour and pretty cool.. The camera shots of the Alaskan wild along with the underwater shots of the salmon were by far the most awesome thing I've seen in awhile.
11-10-2014 08:32 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

The Dark Knight Rises/BR
--So glad the character of Bane recovered from Batman and Robin. I thought ___ did a good job as Catwoman. I do have the belief that Nolan let this movie run long to get some extra screen time out of "his" franchise.

47 Ronin/ BR
--A cool supernatural martial arts movie.

Fast 5/BR
--A solid movie IMO. But as far as the series goes, it seems once they made the move to go with #4 and bring back the original cast they expanded the scope of what some California street car racers could actually get into as far as crime bosses and FBI kinds of stuff.
11-10-2014 12:43 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I liked 47 Ronin.. I thought it was well done.
11-10-2014 12:57 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-26-2013 06:03 PM)BucFyre Wrote:  Saw Star Trek today. Absolutely loved it. Pine and Quinto are perfect in their roles.

Watching Star Trek: Into the Darkness from DVR. Had it for several months.

About halfway thru right now. It's awful. The pace is horrific, the plot devices clumsy and predictable. Pine and Quinto's dialogue are pretty good. But the movie as a whole is so far terrible.
11-12-2014 12:18 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Furious 6 / BR
--Cool movie and they did a good job of incorporating London into the the scenery. I'm just baffled at how the franchise started with street racing and small time truck hijacking to pay for performance parts to what it has become.

Initial D / NF Stream
--A cool live action movie based in the Anime. Since I saw this before the F&F Tokyo Drift I was always amused about how the final race in that movie matches the Mount Akina racing in Initial D. The cool thing about the anime and this movie is, its a lot more about characters as racers and the car jargon/techniques of street racing around Japan.

G.I. Joe Retaliation / BR
--A better movie because of the toned down sci-fi angle from the first live action GI Joe movie. I still don't get why it was felt it was good business to kill of Duke early in the movie. IMO, for any future sequels to be better they need more of the Joes on screen. I really liked the Jinx, Firefly, Flint, and Lady J actors/casting.
11-14-2014 10:18 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(11-12-2014 12:18 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(05-26-2013 06:03 PM)BucFyre Wrote:  Saw Star Trek today. Absolutely loved it. Pine and Quinto are perfect in their roles.

About halfway thru right now. It's awful. The pace is horrific, the plot devices clumsy and predictable. Pine and Quinto's dialogue are pretty good. But the movie as a whole is so far terrible.

Ugh, it hurts. Yes, I liked the parallel w/ WoK, that was clever. But every action scene was stretched about 40% too long, McCoy's lines were forced, and honestly Quinto's acting is bad and gets worse thru the picture.

Shockingly enough between Star Trek, Iron Man 3 and Superman (all came out in Summer 2013) IM3 may have been the best. Wow, that's some bad filmmaking.
11-15-2014 04:32 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(11-15-2014 04:32 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(11-12-2014 12:18 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Ugh, it hurts. Yes, I liked the parallel w/ WoK, that was clever. But every action scene was stretched about 40% too long, McCoy's lines were forced, and honestly Quinto's acting is bad and gets worse thru the picture.

Shockingly enough between Star Trek, Iron Man 3 and Superman (all came out in Summer 2013) IM3 may have been the best. Wow, that's some bad filmmaking.

Into Darkness smoked those other two. Superman--well--I liked some of the elongated origin story parts, I liked knowing more about Zod, I liked the action upgrade over Returns but overall--it was missing something. IM3, IMO, they did not handle the core concept right as opposed to the amine series I saw about the same plot.
11-15-2014 06:03 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Malibu's Most Wanted/dvd
--I love this comedy for reasons I can't quite explain. The spin on profiling, political positioning, rap music, ect.... is done very well IMO.

Interstellar/theater
--I can see the comparisons to 2001 and 2010 but the whole black hole/worm hole/time travel angle makes it a different beast. I'm still trying to digest all the plot points the movie touched in relation to the core story though... IMO, its a sci fi movie worth checking out.
11-16-2014 09:25 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(11-16-2014 09:25 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Interstellar/theater
--I can see the comparisons to 2001 and 2010 but the whole black hole/worm hole/time travel angle makes it a different beast. I'm still trying to digest all the plot points the movie touched in relation to the core story though... IMO, its a sci fi movie worth checking out.

I thought it was decent, but nothing special. There were a number of positives, but I really did not like the way everything was resolved. One big positive is that its extended length makes it a better bargain.

And did you have problems hearing some of the dialogue when either the score or background noise would swell? That seems to be a common complaint and was definitely something I (along with the two people I watched it with) experienced.
11-16-2014 10:52 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(11-16-2014 10:52 PM)jh Wrote:  

I thought it was decent, but nothing special. There were a number of positives, but I really did not like the way everything was resolved. One big positive is that its extended length makes it a better bargain.

And did you have problems hearing some of the dialogue when either the score or background noise would swell? That seems to be a common complaint and was definitely something I (along with the two people I watched it with) experienced.

My audio was fine... I didn't really notice any washouts.

By the resolve, if you mean about the last 30m of the movie.... I thought it was way too much being revealed in a short time span that related to core points of the movie.
11-17-2014 12:29 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
A Million Ways to Die in the West-- Not one to watch if you're looking for an award winning comedy.. If you're gonna drink beer and need cheap laughs, you'll get it.. I wouldn't liken it to Blazing Saddles by any means and for the most part, it was almost too vulgar for me. But there were some good one liners in it and had some funny parts.
11-17-2014 08:42 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(11-17-2014 12:29 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(11-16-2014 10:52 PM)jh Wrote:  

My audio was fine... I didn't really notice any washouts.

By the resolve, if you mean about the last 30m of the movie.... I thought it was way too much being revealed in a short time span that related to core points of the movie.

My audio was fine as well. I thought it was an entertaining movie, that definitely didn't seem as long as it was. To me it was probably an 8/10 and a smidge better than Inception. I really didn't think any of the scenes were superfluous and I would probably be willing to see it again.

Looking forward to Hunger Games. Both movies have been very good and I expect this movie to continue that streak. Sure the themes are a little blunt and some of the characters are archetypal, but that doesn't stop the movies and books from being entertaining. So while the books have nothing on Harry Potter, the movies are the reverse.

Also watched Edge of Tomorrow and found it to be very good. The plot was tight and well constructed to the point where everything seemed plausible. My one gripe was the rather weak ending. I found that it didn't make much sense, and it definitely ended a very good movie on a slightly sour note. but all in all I'd recommend it
11-19-2014 12:27 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Edge Of Tomorrow was very good. Interstellar was interesting but too long in my opinion. Lucy was good as well but could have been great with a little better writing.
11-19-2014 04:46 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
True Lies-- It has been years since I watched this. I now remember why I liked it.. Yea it was kinda over the top, but Tom Arnold's comedic portrayal of a secret agent was pretty good. Especially the part where they take hostage Jamie Lee Curtis and Bill Paxton. It was a good thought out plot, I mean you take away all the action hero stuff they try to pull and let it be what it was, that would be how I imagine a secret agent gets outed.

Bad Grandpa-- Watched this for the first time last night. I laughed at most of it, especially the end when they enter a beauty pageant.
11-21-2014 08:45 AM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
(11-21-2014 08:45 AM)gdunn Wrote:  True Lies-- It has been years since I watched this. I now remember why I liked it.. Yea it was kinda over the top, but Tom Arnold's comedic portrayal of a secret agent was pretty good. Especially the part where they take hostage Jamie Lee Curtis and Bill Paxton. It was a good thought out plot, I mean you take away all the action hero stuff they try to pull and let it be what it was, that would be how I imagine a secret agent gets outed.

Bad Grandpa-- Watched this for the first time last night. I laughed at most of it, especially the end when they enter a beauty pageant.

True Lies would be in my Top 10 of Favorite movies easily.
11-21-2014 10:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.