Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: The movie thread
(10-23-2014 12:31 PM)gdunn Wrote:  My MIL hated Monument Men.. I liked it..

She's a history prof and said why did they get old guys to play the parts and why was John Goodman in it.. I told her that was probably the best people to represent them.. She researched it and was shocked that they were old men going back into the army for this task.
Even history professors don't know everything about history. It just goes to show.

However, anyone with any common sense about the matter would realize the military isn't full artistic expertise, especially the great masterpieces of the ages. They'd have to seek outside expertise, and those are predominantly older people with a lifetime of experience. It's very rare for a younger person to have the knowledge required. That takes decades to learn.
10-23-2014 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Transformers / BR
--a good start to a live action interpretation of the animated cartoon show.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen / BR
--Liked the core concept but the editing once it got to the Pyramids really jacked up the ending.

Transformers: Age of Extinction / BR
--They handled the Dinobots about as well as I guess they could have considering... I liked the new robots and I liked the story line.

Friday the 13th / dvd
--A solid movie for the horror genre

Friday the 13th: Jason Goes to Hell / dvd
--Wanted to rewatch only because of the bounty hunter and the take on how to kill Jason. The "evil transference" shown in the movie was kind of interesting...

Halloween H20 / BR
--Not a bad return to form IMO.

Halloween Resurrection / BR
--I did like the fact they got into the whole "cult" figure's cult that they hinted at in 4 or 5... I think it was 5.

Top Gun / BR
--Loved the movie, loved the soundtrack....

Man of Steel / BR
--I liked the concepts and I liked the better explained story behind Zod and issues with Jor-El and Kal-El as it were. My issues with the movie solely rest with how "Dragon Ball Z"-esque the fights were at the end of the movie... which, while, yeah, they had those powers.... Superman I and II never had that kind of vibe to them.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 11:59 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
10-24-2014 11:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Vampire Lovers / NetFlix
--Saw it in the horror section...sounded interesting. The trip was when it started one of the actors was in Star Wars--one of the Empire's admirals/commanders and one of the ladies was a femme fatal for Richard Burton in Where Eagles Dare. Basically a vampire chick goes around these small English villages and turns young females into vampires/kills them from her bite. Once some folks wised up they go to here home place and decide to finish a job one of them didn't earlier in his life.
10-25-2014 09:43 AM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
Picked up a copy of Captain America: The Winter Soldier last night. Looking forward to watching that but first will come the annual tradition of watching Hocus Pocus.
10-28-2014 07:49 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
God's Not Dead- Netflix DVD-- Not a bad movie.. If you're looking for a big budget film, you won't like it. The acting was good and the plot was good.. I enjoyed it, but then again I'm a Christian. It's one I'd say you'd have to pick up and view it for yourself.

Star Wars I, II, II- BR- Just bought them for $35.. I got it on BR and regular DVD.. Will be watching one weekend with the original movies.. A little marathon if you will. I might throw in the Family Guy takes on the original 3 movies as well.

The Conjuring-- HBO DVR'ed-- Never saw this before last Saturday night. It says it's based on a true story.. I read things later and it seems that it's very Hollywooded up.. But it was good.. It did the trick.. If you're looking for a good Halloween movie to watch with that special someone who gets scared easily.. This is it.. I'd also recommend Insidious.
10-29-2014 10:55 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(10-29-2014 10:55 AM)gdunn Wrote:  God's Not Dead- Netflix DVD-- Not a bad movie.. If you're looking for a big budget film, you won't like it. The acting was good and the plot was good.. I enjoyed it, but then again I'm a Christian. It's one I'd say you'd have to pick up and view it for yourself.

Star Wars I, II, II- BR- Just bought them for $35.. I got it on BR and regular DVD.. Will be watching one weekend with the original movies.. A little marathon if you will. I might throw in the Family Guy takes on the original 3 movies as well.

The Conjuring-- HBO DVR'ed-- Never saw this before last Saturday night. It says it's based on a true story.. I read things later and it seems that it's very Hollywooded up.. But it was good.. It did the trick.. If you're looking for a good Halloween movie to watch with that special someone who gets scared easily.. This is it.. I'd also recommend Insidious.

I have IV-VI on WS SE VHS
I have IV-VI SE from the original DVD Box Set they released
I have I-III on dvd as they came out
I have the BR Box Set for I-VI

You will definitely need a full weekend to bite off all 6 movies.

I bought that Family Guy Set of Star Wars spoofs. IMO, they did a great job with IV, decent with V, but VI...the self referential humor on the cash in got too much to bare and was by far the worst of the 3. At least in the real movies Jedi was decent 03-razz
10-29-2014 01:03 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
You're right.. The first one was good.. They should've left it at that.. The other two felt forced.. They could've done Indiana Jones or Back to the Future..
10-29-2014 01:49 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(10-28-2014 07:49 AM)BucFyre Wrote:  Picked up a copy of Captain America: The Winter Soldier last night. Looking forward to watching that but first will come the annual tradition of watching Hocus Pocus.

you're gonna love it. IMO it's the best Marvel movie and the only possible rival for that spot is Guardians of the Galaxy. Interested in hearing your thoughts
10-29-2014 06:40 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Ghostbusters / dvd
--A good comedy/sci fi movie. I personally think the only odd thing about it is making Bill Murray the ladies man. Too bad the 2nd one was not as good and due to egos they never took a shot at a 3 or better with the current state of special effects.

Mimic / NF stream
--Not that bad but hiding out the "insects" and their new form for well over half the movie is a bit much considering their importance. Not really feeling the kid with the spoons. I was surprised to see the Italian guy who was in Hannibal (my first time seeing him) and the Daniel Craig James Bonds show up.

Halloween Resurrection/ BR
--Not bad with the whole reality tv show angle on it.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers / BR
--see comments in prior post. I think I mis typed the titles.
10-31-2014 09:15 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
So I got the Star Wars prequel on Blu Ray for a good deal.. And this weekend I decided to do the Machete Method of watching them, except for omitting Episode I.

The Machete Order says you go IV, V, II, III, VI.. But I did IV, V, I, II, III, and I've still got VI to watch, but I've seen it so many times I know it scene by scene...

I was skeptical of this viewing order.. But it does work, and he's right, you can eliminate Episode I without missing anything except for a whiney Obi Wan Kenobi, Jar Jar Binks, the Pod Race, and Darth Maul.
11-03-2014 07:59 AM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
Watched Captain America: Winter Soldier on Saturday night. I really enjoyed it. Tons more action than the first and I enjoyed the dynamic between Steve and Natasha. The scene where Nick Fury was getting beat down in his car was pretty amazing. I'd like to have those type of safety control measures in my own vehicle.

The one thing that really bothered me was seeing Robert Redford as the bad guy. He is ALWAYS the hero. That being said at least he died. He dies in everything he's in. Probably the only actor I've seen die more on screen than him is Sean Bean.
11-03-2014 08:58 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(11-03-2014 07:59 AM)gdunn Wrote:  So I got the Star Wars prequel on Blu Ray for a good deal.. And this weekend I decided to do the Machete Method of watching them, except for omitting Episode I.

The Machete Order says you go IV, V, II, III, VI.. But I did IV, V, I, II, III, and I've still got VI to watch, but I've seen it so many times I know it scene by scene...

I was skeptical of this viewing order.. But it does work, and he's right, you can eliminate Episode I without missing anything except for a whiney Obi Wan Kenobi, Jar Jar Binks, the Pod Race, and Darth Maul.

I could see doing IV-VI then I-III OR doing I-VI in order. I don't quite get the chopped way you describe.
11-03-2014 12:56 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(11-03-2014 12:56 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 07:59 AM)gdunn Wrote:  So I got the Star Wars prequel on Blu Ray for a good deal.. And this weekend I decided to do the Machete Method of watching them, except for omitting Episode I.
I could see doing IV-VI then I-III OR doing I-VI in order. I don't quite get the chopped way you describe.

Maybe the fear is that if you start with I or II, nobody will want to stick around for four or five more?
11-03-2014 01:20 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Oh.. PTNC.. Let me elaborate.. See if you do it I-VI, by the end of III you know the plot twist of the original trilogy with Vader being Luke's father and Leia being his sister..

If you watch IV and V.. You're left with a cliffhanger of Vader being the dad and the conversation between Yoda and Obi Wan: That boy is our only chance.. No, there is another.

You go back and watch II and III, you see a young Anakin learning to be a Jedi Knight.. Seeing the similiarities between him and Luke, how Luke came to be born, and the downfall of Anakin and the birth of Vader. You never see that in the original trilogy. You also learn who the other is.. Then watch Return of the Jedi..

I know it doesn't seem right, but it works.. It's crazy but it works.. I forgot how much of a fan of the original trilogy I was.. I was able to watch IV and V with no issues.. I, II, and III, were long and I kept trying to see how much of this was left.
11-03-2014 01:22 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(11-03-2014 01:22 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Oh.. PTNC.. Let me elaborate.. See if you do it I-VI, by the end of III you know the plot twist of the original trilogy with Vader being Luke's father and Leia being his sister..
If you watch IV and V.. You're left with a cliffhanger of Vader being the dad and the conversation between Yoda and Obi Wan: That boy is our only chance.. No, there is another.
You go back and watch II and III, you see a young Anakin learning to be a Jedi Knight.. Seeing the similiarities between him and Luke, how Luke came to be born, and the downfall of Anakin and the birth of Vader. You never see that in the original trilogy. You also learn who the other is.. Then watch Return of the Jedi..
I know it doesn't seem right, but it works.. It's crazy but it works.. I forgot how much of a fan of the original trilogy I was.. I was able to watch IV and V with no issues.. I, II, and III, were long and I kept trying to see how much of this was left.

I'll be frelled, that actually makes sense.
11-03-2014 01:57 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I wasn't for sure on it myself, but I gave it a try.. When I have kids and they want to see Star Wars that's the order they're going to get.
11-03-2014 03:21 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(11-03-2014 01:22 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Oh.. PTNC.. Let me elaborate.. See if you do it I-VI, by the end of III you know the plot twist of the original trilogy with Vader being Luke's father and Leia being his sister..

Well damn, if you haven't watched Star Wars at all since 1977(?) I guess you could make a play for that angle but most folks that would shell out the dough for the sets in any combo already know all of the plot twists in the movie. What possible spoiler avoidance would be doing yourself a favor?
11-03-2014 08:30 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-03-2014 08:30 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Well damn, if you haven't watched Star Wars at all since 1977(?) I guess you could make a play for that angle but most folks that would shell out the dough for the sets in any combo already know all of the plot twists in the movie. What possible spoiler avoidance would be doing yourself a favor?
I guess it's more for the fans of the series.. I've seen the original ones numerous times.. The prequels just a handful of times.. I get in those grooves to have a marathon of certain movie series.

I mean if you're the type of person who watches the movies on an annual basis, this might be what you're looking for to keep it interesting..
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 09:16 AM by gdunn.)
11-04-2014 07:45 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

The Lost Boys: The Thirst / BR
--2nd sequel to the original movie. I got the 3 feature set last year sometime. I found the first one the best but the sequels--for being direct to video--are not bad movies at all. This one is basically about a rich author coming to ____ to hire Edgar Frog to kill some vampires that kidnapped her brother.
11-04-2014 11:11 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Other than being direct to video, how do they compare to the original?
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 12:13 PM by gdunn.)
11-04-2014 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.