Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: The movie thread
(06-24-2014 09:01 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  So, with Transformers: Age of Extinction coming and thus the Dinobots coming.... who is excited about it?

The Dinobots storyline in the G1 cartoon series was one of my faves. That said, once Transformers went real world for the movies I've always had reservations about them appearing... I hope it works out for the best.

This is gonna be the first one I actively avoid. I saw the first three in theaters; I loved the first one, I hated the second one, and...the less said about the third one, the better. I got free passes for that one, and I still want to get my money back on that one.
06-26-2014 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(06-25-2014 05:56 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The movie ended at the conclusion of the 2nd Formic War. The book went further. But I'm not sure Card had any idea where he was taking things with the book once the war ended, and simply stopped when he ran out of ideas. I could be mistaken. But that's the impression I got.

If I remember correctly (from Card's introduction to one or the other books), Ender's Game started out as just a short story. After getting the idea for Speaker for the Dead, Card expanded Ender's Game to provide a suitable introduction for Speaker. So if the ending was disjointed, it probably was because Card was trying to transform an almost entirely unrelated story into a prequel.

*** Edited for formatting.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 10:30 AM by jh.)
06-26-2014 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
That's interesting, since "Ender's Game" was published a year before "Speaker for the Dead", and Orson Scott Card himself said that "Speaker for the Dead" wasn't begun until AFTER he'd expanded his novella "Ender's Game" into a novel. He expanded the novella into a novel specifically so he could use Ender in another book, which he felt would be the more important of the 2 books. Unfortunately, his audience didn't agree on the level of importance of the 2 books.
06-26-2014 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(06-26-2014 12:03 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  
(06-24-2014 09:01 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  So, with Transformers: Age of Extinction coming and thus the Dinobots coming.... who is excited about it?

The Dinobots storyline in the G1 cartoon series was one of my faves. That said, once Transformers went real world for the movies I've always had reservations about them appearing... I hope it works out for the best.

This is gonna be the first one I actively avoid. I saw the first three in theaters; I loved the first one, I hated the second one, and...the less said about the third one, the better. I got free passes for that one, and I still want to get my money back on that one.

I thought 3 was a HUGE improvement over 2. I think subtracting the whole Shia Lebouf (sp?) love story angle will help immensely.
06-26-2014 06:56 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(06-25-2014 10:41 AM)gdunn Wrote:  I watched xXx last night. I saw some on FX the other day and wanted to watch the real thing again. I forgot that it was decent.

I saw the new TMNT trailer yesterday too. It looks interesting.

XXX w' Vin Diesel wasn't bad.

XXX 2 w' Ice Cube was marginally better.
06-26-2014 06:58 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
Re: RE: The movie thread
(06-26-2014 06:56 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I thought 3 was a HUGE improvement over 2. I think subtracting the whole Shia Lebouf (sp?) love story angle will help immensely.

I could've done without his parents in the third one. I was actively enjoying the movie until they showed up yammering and acting like a bunch of buffoons. The second his mom started talking about his "package" was the moment for me to check out. I never recovered after that.

Posted from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using the CSNbbs app
06-27-2014 09:14 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-27-2014 09:14 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  
(06-26-2014 06:56 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I could've done without his parents in the third one. I was actively enjoying the movie until they showed up yammering and acting like a bunch of buffoons. The second his mom started talking about his "package" was the moment for me to check out. I never recovered after that.

Posted from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using the CSNbbs app

Agreed.

That being said the fact that Sam Witwicky could pull the ridiculously tail he did between the various characters is unfathomable.
06-27-2014 04:28 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Transformers: Dark of the Moon / BR
--I liked it, better thought out story execution and editing than 2

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen / BR
--It had potential, but some curious editing knocks it down IMO

The Boondocks S4 / dvd
--Good stuff as usual. The satire was pretty good IMO but definitely less political than previous years. That said, the Siri episode and the one about Gay Rights were tops.

Transformers: Age of Extinction / theater
--Probably one of the better crafted story lines of the series so far. Top notch action. Dinobots were done fairly well with how they explained some things for their origin. The origin of Galvatron was a interesting train of thought considering how the animated movie told that tale.
06-29-2014 11:04 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-25-2014 03:42 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  As for your opinion on the book, opinions vary. Your's seems to be a minority opinion. Ender's Game won both the Nebula and Hugo Awards, was nominated for the Locus Award, and placed #59 on the reader's list of Modern Library 100 Best Novels. The non-stop action of the book made it nearly impossible for me to put down.

I keep hoping The Giver is given the proper treatment for a movie. It's one of the few "young adult" books I can still enjoy reading as an 'elder' statesman now :)
07-03-2014 04:09 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
3 Days to Kill- Netflix DVD- Not bad.. Could easily follow the plot and everything. Decent role for Costner.
07-03-2014 01:05 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Are there any movies that don't have Mark Wahlberg in them?
07-03-2014 01:20 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(07-03-2014 01:20 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Are there any movies that don't have Mark Wahlberg in them?

Yesterday I saw Begin Again with Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo. It was a very quality movie, with some good performances. It wasn't quite as good as Chef, but it was definitely very good
07-03-2014 01:22 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I saw the Tom Cruise movie, the Edge of Tomorrow or whatever, and thought it was really a good movie. It was funny, fun, and was a cool story.
07-03-2014 02:18 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-03-2014 01:20 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Are there any movies that don't have Mark Wahlberg in them?

Hey now, he's done some decent work. I thought Fighter was one of his best dramas along with The Departed.
07-03-2014 03:54 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-03-2014 03:54 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Hey now, he's done some decent work. I thought Fighter was one of his best dramas along with The Departed.

I know, and I actually don't mind him, it just seems like every new movie has him in it. I liked the movie "Ted" actually.
07-03-2014 04:12 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Has anyone seen "Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhaal?

Talk about flat out freakin weird.
07-03-2014 05:36 PM
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
(07-03-2014 01:05 PM)gdunn Wrote:  3 Days to Kill- Netflix DVD- Not bad.. Could easily follow the plot and everything. Decent role for Costner.

Is that streaming yet? I don't have the dvd service.
07-03-2014 06:21 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

300: Rise of an Empire / BR
--stunning BR release. I must say, as a movie, I did like this one over 300. That said, Leonitus' moxy towards Xerces was very entertaining. Eva GreenCOGS

Knight Rider S2, some S4 / netflix
--Damn I loved this show. Garth Knight aka evil twin of Michael Knight... I still can't help the lolz. Gladiator was a nasty semi. After that, I searched out S4 for the KITT revamp that I thought killed the series. While the core concept of the episode was great, the Urban Avenger angle and then the "extender panels" on KITT were tooo much.

Magnum P.I. S2 / netflix
--Loved this show back in the day. Still love that Ferrari.
07-03-2014 11:28 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-21-2014 09:26 AM)BucFyre Wrote:  How was Costner? in Shadow Recruit? I used to really love him but he's definitely been hit or miss since Waterworld.

Also...Sean Bean:

[Image: xXBHlgd.gif]

Better add in another death for Sean Bean. I watched a netflix stream called Cash.
Won't do a spolier. OK movie.
edit looks like it is included.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 09:03 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
07-04-2014 09:02 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I was never a fan of Kevin Costner. I don't think he's very good as an actor, and find him pretty boring actually.
07-04-2014 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.