Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The movie thread
BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: The movie thread
(04-10-2014 03:20 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Jack the Giant Slayer- HBO HD. You all know the story; it's a simple story, well told. Jack isn't a simpleton, just a bit careless as is common at his age. He's brave, but his success has a touch of luck too. The princess wants adventure, but she's not out kicking butt. There is good balance around Jack, as the knights treat him reasonably well, nothing to a ridiculous extreme love or hate.

The giants are well acted, and real threats. At times a nice bit of comic relief w/o going overboard anywhere. Effects are good throughout. A touch on the scary side. It's PG-13 and the reviews made us cautious to let my 11 y.o. see it, but afterward we thought it would probably be alright.

So, good story, good effects, good balance. It won't knock your socks off, but an enjoyable film.

Is that the one with Ewan McGregor in it?
04-11-2014 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Captain America; The Winter Soldier / theater
--Pretty good movie IMO. I agree with my brother that I would have been more interested to see his escapades in WWII than the current times. I thought the intrigue around SHIELD and "who" the Winter Solder was/is was pretty cool.

Shutter Island / BR
--I just like how the movie plays out...always like studying the subtle clues.

Archer S4 / Netflix
--Just as funny as always...

Parker / Net Flix
--This movie looked suspect when it originally came out....I passed. In seeing it was on NF....its meh... not sure if I really even want to finish it. NOt one of Statham's best for sure.

Hard Target / dvd
--One of my favorite JCVD movies of all time.

Captain America / BR
--I liked it. I think they did a pretty good job with the casting.
04-13-2014 01:16 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
A little late, but I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier on opening day.

[EXPLETIVE REDACTED]! That was a fun movie! The reveal was very well done, the story behind the Winter Soldier was perfectly unnerving, and the action was spot-on. On top of that, the ramifications for the Marvel Cinematic Universe - including the unfortunately maligned Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - are going to be felt for a long time.

My favorite of the Phase 2 movies thus far, and only behind Iron Man and The Avengers for all-time favorites.
04-13-2014 11:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-13-2014 11:51 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  A little late, but I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier on opening day.

[EXPLETIVE REDACTED]! That was a fun movie! The reveal was very well done, the story behind the Winter Soldier was perfectly unnerving, and the action was spot-on. On top of that, the ramifications for the Marvel Cinematic Universe - including the unfortunately maligned Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - are going to be felt for a long time.

My favorite of the Phase 2 movies thus far, and only behind Iron Man and The Avengers for all-time favorites.

IDK, I thought Thor: Dark World was far superior to t he first Thor, and a good movie in general.

Agree on the SHIELD stuff though.... saw an article about how that might affect the tv show.
04-13-2014 11:59 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-13-2014 11:59 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(04-13-2014 11:51 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  A little late, but I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier on opening day.

IDK, I thought Thor: Dark World was far superior to t he first Thor, and a good movie in general.

Agree on the SHIELD stuff though.... saw an article about how that might affect the tv show.

TV show is already in play. The writers were looking forward to this big turnaround.
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
DrTorch Offline

(01-07-2014 11:32 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Man of Steel / br
-- Not a bad Superman movie but somehow it felt like it was all action of a perfect mix of action and story like Superman I and II. That said, it was superior to III and IV. It also avoided the blandness of Returns. I did kind of like the Zod/Jor-El/Kal-El dynamic more than than Superman II.

I saw this HBOHD.

It was absolutely terrible. The concept (combine Superman I and II) was ok. The execution was abysmal:

Overdone, overblown, unnecessary effects. Took away from much of the movie throughout the entire film, and led to a really silly wrap up between Lois and Kryptonians. Also led to many minor questions of consistency/continuity that could have been avoided.

So many political agendas being squawked at, so the actors' delivery was constantly overdramatic and over emphasized. In fact most of the deliveries were really bad (Jor El, Lara, Pa Kent, Perry White). Also inspired the very unnecessary opening scene; yes they subsequently used it, but why bother? And it was unclear why Zod was a villain. So the whole final conflict was easily avoided.

In the end, it seemed this movie was more about Krypton than Superman on Earth. While that is always an element of Superman (and speculative fiction) it missed the point altogether.

Finally, I genuinely like Amy Adams, but at times she was a terrible Lois Lane, and what was with her skin! Ugh, serious breakout at the goodbye scene when Kal is being turned over to Zod.

The good:
Superman's costume
Many of the effects
Final 3/4 scenes: Kal and Zod in train station (I can see Kal being genuinely upset), Superman w/ US Army General and Captain (cute), Clark starts job (nice wordplay).

Overall: 4/10.
04-14-2014 10:03 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Dallas Buyers Club-- Thought was a well done movie.

Wolf of Wall Street-- Began watching Saturday evening, but was a wee bit hammered and didn't finish it.
04-14-2014 10:42 AM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs

Oh, it was; I enjoyed the first Thor, but I liked "The Dark World" so much more. The episodes "End of the Beginning" and "Turn, Turn, Turn" really set S.H.I.E.L.D. off in a new and unheralded direction, and the anticipation for each episode grows that much higher.

Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who was on board from day one.
04-15-2014 12:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
(04-15-2014 12:04 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  

Oh, it was; I enjoyed the first Thor, but I liked "The Dark World" so much more. The episodes "End of the Beginning" and "Turn, Turn, Turn" really set S.H.I.E.L.D. off in a new and unheralded direction, and the anticipation for each episode grows that much higher.

Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who was on board from day one.

Haven't caught TWS yet but have been keeping up with S.H.I.E.L.D. "Turn, Turn, Turn" was crazy...can't wait for tomorrow night.
04-15-2014 02:07 AM
DrTorch Offline

(04-15-2014 12:04 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who was on board from day one.

That's funny b/c we were bored w/ day one. But we stuck with it, even when it seemed a little too mature for my son, mostly b/c my wife gets tired of watching shows w/ no plot like Am Pickers and House Hunters.

Anyway, SHIELD has gotten pretty good. Lots of puzzles to deal with right now.
04-15-2014 08:00 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(04-15-2014 08:00 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 12:04 AM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who was on board from day one.

That's funny b/c we were bored w/ day one. But we stuck with it, even when it seemed a little too mature for my son, mostly b/c my wife gets tired of watching shows w/ no plot like Am Pickers and House Hunters.

Anyway, SHIELD has gotten pretty good. Lots of puzzles to deal with right now.
Yea, after the "break" it's really picked up.
04-15-2014 11:04 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Completely agree. Great action, great story and really cool additions, especially Falcon. I think I might have liked it even more than Iron Man due to the incredible action and the lack of it in Iron Man.
04-15-2014 06:31 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-15-2014 06:31 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Completely agree. Great action, great story and really cool additions, especially Falcon. I think I might have liked it even more than Iron Man due to the incredible action and the lack of it in Iron Man.

Yeah, Iron Man 3 had the parts to be the best of the three, yet somehow it was the worst of the three.
04-15-2014 11:30 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(04-15-2014 11:30 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Yeah, Iron Man 3 had the parts to be the best of the three, yet somehow it was the worst of the three.

I was talking about Iron Man 1, but you're right about the 3rd being the worst. Although 2 and 3 are pretty close
04-16-2014 12:01 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-16-2014 12:01 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 11:30 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I was talking about Iron Man 1, but you're right about the 3rd being the worst. Although 2 and 3 are pretty close

Hmmm

Iron Man 1 was great. I liked 2's setup and villain. What felt cheap about it was, it felt like they went for more action instead of a perfect blend like they had in 1. 3, kind of missed on both fronts. That said, the Extremis story line was better done here: http://www.amazon.com/Extremis-Part-HD/d...n+extremis * I caught this on Net Flix, and the movie rendition left me feeling lacking t he meat I got from this short series.
04-16-2014 12:23 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I read something the other day there wouldn't be anymore Iron Man movies, only time Downey will play Stark is in the Avenger sequels.
04-16-2014 07:39 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(04-16-2014 07:39 AM)gdunn Wrote:  I read something the other day there wouldn't be anymore Iron Man movies, only time Downey will play Stark is in the Avenger sequels.

I think there will eventually be more Iron Man movies, but pretty sure you're right about RDJ only playing the character in Avengers from now on
04-16-2014 01:49 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-16-2014 01:49 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 07:39 AM)gdunn Wrote:  I read something the other day there wouldn't be anymore Iron Man movies, only time Downey will play Stark is in the Avenger sequels.

I think there will eventually be more Iron Man movies, but pretty sure you're right about RDJ only playing the character in Avengers from now on

I think the deal was, he "IS" Iron Man but he IS aging.... I think what they are/were getting at was what would be the strategy for RDJr to keep on with Iron Man for Iron Man and Avenger movies versus a possible need to get a new/young guy in the Iron Man suit. I have no idea how that ever played out in the comics as I only know that Batman had some successors that have been written into his story fabric.
04-16-2014 04:01 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
grand budapest hotel. wes anderson hasn't made a film i didn't like. still hasn't. i can never describe a wes anderson film without talking about how great the characters are he creates. he's becoming more of an ambitious filmmaker

django unchained. yep. and that's a western. tarantino's a f*cking gem. for those who've seen it, there was a scene towards the end where leo smiled and his grimy teeth shone. christoph waltz was priorly a dentist. what was the significance?
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 09:30 AM by Lush.)
04-30-2014 09:29 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(04-30-2014 09:29 AM)Lush Wrote:  grand budapest hotel. wes anderson hasn't made a film i didn't like. still hasn't. i can never describe a wes anderson film without talking about how great the characters are he creates. he's becoming more of an ambitious filmmaker

django unchained. yep. and that's a western. tarantino's a f*cking gem. for those who've seen it, there was a scene towards the end where leo smiled and his grimy teeth shone. christoph waltz was priorly a dentist. what was the significance?
I don't know but it was a Dentist vs Candie.
05-01-2014 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.