Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
RE: Stunning candor.
Busted............

In other words she'll sail through and will be hailed by the left as a strict constitutionalist. The only way she won't be confirmed is if she didn't pay her taxes..............no wait 03-phew
05-26-2009 09:24 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Bush Sr. appointed her in 92. That'll count for something in the talking points.
05-26-2009 09:38 AM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:Bush Sr. appointed her in 92.

He appointed Souter, too.

Like Father, like Son. Morons.
05-26-2009 11:04 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

She also is on the record as promoting a strict interpretation of the constitution, I think I'll wait and see before jumping, but know this, she can't be better than Bab's too.
05-26-2009 11:06 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

(05-26-2009 11:04 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  

Just sayin, it's going to be a talking point during all this if the confirmation gets dicey. Never know with Obama's team and how they review their nominees, as we all know.
05-26-2009 11:13 AM
Advertisement

BCBronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Stunning candor? I guess, or maybe it is arrogance, lack of discretion, or just poor judgement. Yikes!
05-26-2009 12:44 PM
conrock Offline
1st String

I Root For: winners
(05-26-2009 11:13 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  
(05-26-2009 11:04 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  

Just sayin, it's going to be a talking point during all this if the confirmation gets dicey. Never know with Obama's team and how they review their nominees, as we all know.

GHWB did a horrible job w/judges. I like how shes being hailed as a latina, who overcame her latina ways paving to stardom in the USA. Shes from NYC and is of puerto rican descent, which is really just another borough. Last I saw Puerto Rico was under our control, somewhat. Not really a Latin American country. Shes just a Ginsburg model.

Can't wait to see Chuck Schumer complain about another "catholic" on the bench. Gaurantee nothing as he lambasted Roberts and Alito for being catholic.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 02:07 PM by conrock.)
05-26-2009 12:50 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

GWB didn't do so well, remember Harriet?
05-26-2009 02:31 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
Wow, she really sounds like a strict constructionist!!!
05-26-2009 04:01 PM
conrock Offline
1st String

(05-26-2009 02:31 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  GWB didn't do so well, remember Harriet?

At least they overturned him before he really screwed up (no luck on the spending habits though). Alito is wonderful though (Ironically he was a Spector boy, whereas Souter was a Sununu boy, whoda thought).
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 05:22 PM by conrock.)
05-26-2009 05:22 PM
Advertisement

conrock Offline
1st String

05-26-2009 05:27 PM
Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
DB
Quote:She also is on the record as promoting a strict interpretation of the constitution

In the affirmative action in the New Haven fire department, which is now being reviewed by the Supreme Court a panel including Sotomayor ruled against the firefighters in a unpublished opinion. Another member of the panel, Judge Cabranes, a Clinton appointee, objected to the panel's opinion saying it contained "no reference whatsoever to the constitutional issues at the core of this case."

This case involved 15 firefighters (14 white and 1 Hispanic) who took a test for promotion and passed. Only 1 minority passed. Because there was virtually no minority representation on the promotional list New Haven promoted no one. Soyomayor sided with New Haven.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 09:07 PM by Chipdip1.)
05-26-2009 09:05 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Well that just proves it then. What's the source of that blurb? I'd like to see the rest of the discussion with this quote in context.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 09:09 PM by DesertBronco.)
05-26-2009 09:08 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't think Bush Sr. ever met any of his judicial appointees before nominating them. He may be more knowledgeable than Jr. but he's every bit as naive and gullible. They were both played like suckers by duplicitous people and those with hidden agendas.
05-26-2009 09:09 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

KEEP TALKING PAT!!

Quote:“The Republicans have got to take a stand on this one,” said Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition and a proponent of a filibuster. “If they don’t, they can kiss their chances of ever getting back into power away,” he added.
Operation Rescue founder Randall Terry, an anti-abortion rights activist, is urging members to block a Senate vote on Sotomayor.

Right on queue, this guy is the gift that keeps on giving for Democrats.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 09:19 PM by DesertBronco.)
05-26-2009 09:19 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
DB
Quote:Well that just proves it then
Similar analogy to the New Haven firemen: We have 15 doctors who have passed their boards to perform brain surgery. No minorities passed. Since no minorities passed the boards, none of the 15 who did pass can perform brain surgery either.

^There's something in the constitution that would uphold that????

I think what proves it is she outed herself in the video at Duke.
In response to a question about the differences between appeals court and district court judges, Sotomayor said:

Quote:“All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with Court of Appeals experience. Because it is — Court of Appeals is where policy is made,” she said. “And I know, and I know, that this is on tape, and I should never say that. Because we don't 'make law,' I know.” Oooops busted 03-shhhh 03-shhhh

The audience laughed.

“Okay, I know. I know. I'm not promoting it, and I'm not advocating it. I'm, you know,” she said to more laughter.

“Having said that, the Court of Appeals is where, before the Supreme Court makes the final decision, the law is percolating. Its interpretation, its application.”
05-26-2009 09:44 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
She comes across as a non-serious lightweight. This is the best Obama can do?
05-26-2009 09:47 PM
Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
DB
Quote:Right on queue, this guy is the gift that keeps on giving for Democrats.

You're implying because it's Pat Robertson saying it, than it must be stupid. For the record both Robertson and Sodamayor are graduates of Yale Law. I'd hardly call him "uninformed" when it comes to strict constitutionalists.

You're also saying that Republicans would be stupid to challenge her nomination? You see nothing in what she said at Duke as revealing?

You seem to be putting all of your eggs in the fact she called herself a "strict constitutionalist" even though she has a fairly lengthy record of being an activist judge. Obama said he was against Gay Marriage..........do you really believe that, or was he saying what needed to be said to win the job. Same thing with Sodamayor.

While I don't agree with a lot of what Robertson says he's on the money on this issue. Her nomination needs to be challenged.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 09:56 PM by Chipdip1.)
05-26-2009 09:55 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I think you're right, Pat needs to be out there and talking as much as possible, he's great for politics. I hope he shoves his way into the limelight once more for the sake of the party.

Regarding her video, many law professors in my grad classes have said similar, and this was at a conservative business college. Laws are vague in their application outside of their original intent, thought they may apply, and interpreting laws through court decisions set policy whether they intend to or not. She may end up being a stinker, but not because of some YouTube quote taken out of context.

She'll never be a Harriet Meirs.

As for the rest, quit trying to put words in my mouth, not enough is out, even the Republicans are still measuring their response, it's too early yet to say unless you're a raving web board maniac who just watched Fox and is armed with "semi facts" like you. I said that before in this thread, read.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2009 11:32 PM by DesertBronco.)
05-26-2009 11:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.