Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice signee
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Rice signee
I just noticed we signed a golfer from Wisconsin. Here is the essay that's dicussed in his bio:

Who is the best putter you know?

Erik Mayer, a senior at Appleton (Wis.) East High School, won the essay contest contest for the AJGA’s HP Scholastic Junior All-America Team. Candidates were required to submit an essay no longer than [/i]400 words on the topic, “A Day I’ll Never
Forget... .” This is his winning entry, entitled “Who Is The Best Putter You Know?”:

By ERIK MAYER

I’ll never forget the day I met Jerry. It was a typical Wisconsin winter day, the snow was falling and I could see my breath in the air. Despite the weather and two-hour drive, I was thrilled about spending the day at the Golf Dome.

I first noticed Jerry when I was warming up. He was working with a mini-tour player, and the player seemed to be making every putt. Later I learned that Jerry was not only a putting instructor, he was an author, inventor and respected businessman. After the lesson ended, Jerry watched me hit wedges, eventually asking me, “Who is the best putter you know?”

“Ben Crenshaw,” I answered without hesitation.

“Who is the best putter you know?” he asked again. Before I could answer, he said, “You are.” So began our relationship.

That Saturday we worked together for four hours, as I practiced putting and chipping, we talked about life. After the lesson I felt fantastic about myself, my future and my golf game.

The next week we worked on my short game, and more importantly, my mental game.

“On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your putting?” Jerry asked.

“Seven,” I answered.

“If you believe you are a seven, you’ll never be a ten,” Jerry said. Jerry’s passion for the game inspired me.

Despite the distance, we worked together throughout the summer. Sessions always began with, “Who is the best putter you know?”

Jerry never let me pay for a lesson, he emphasized the importance of giving back to society and to the game of golf. As we worked on focus, concentration and attitude, we discussed academics, community service and my golf aspirations.

Last October, Jerry told me he had cancer. When his grandchildren asked him if he was going to die, he responded, “No, I’m going to fight. But if God needs a putting lesson”

Throughout his illness, Jerry and I talked on his good days. We talked candidly about everything from my dreams to his disease, but somehow the conversation always returned to golf. As we talked, I felt myself growing up.

Jerry died in May. Although Jerry is gone, his passion lives on in the junior golfers, like me, that he influenced. Thanks to Jerry, I will always be the best putter I know.
Posted: 10/10/2007
04-09-2008 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Rice signee
I'm going to put a sticky on this thread and the next time someone tries to say that Rice fudges a bit on their student-athletes, please direct them here.
04-09-2008 03:27 PM
RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
This is yet another example of Rice athletes living the motto that Character Counts! Bravo.
04-09-2008 03:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Very nice. Says so much in less than 400 words.
04-09-2008 06:21 PM
Hitman Offline
1st String

I Root For: the Owls...

New Orleans Bowl
This reminded me of Mitch Alboms book, Tuesdays with Morrie. Inspiring. Thanks Houston Owl for bringing this to the board.
04-10-2008 08:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.