Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Great show by the MOB
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Great show by the MOB
For some reason, an old SNL presidential debate skit with Chevy Chase playing Gerald Ford comes to mind where Chase is all flustered because the question involves some probabilities and Chase says something along the lines of "I was told there would be no math questions in the debate." That image comes to mind when Tulsa fans are being told the halftime was a spoof of Dante's Inferno ("I was told there would be no reading necessary...").
11-24-2007 10:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl97 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice/Pitt

New Orleans Bowl
Nice! I wish that I had been there. I played clarinet with the MOB from 1993-96, and I don't think I can remember anything edgier from my time (although we did have the "Beavis & Butthead" bit with the Aggie fight song in Austin in '93...).
11-24-2007 10:39 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
Yes, on top of being incredibly touchy, Tulsa fans simply do not have a good grasp of English. The MOB show spoke of Graham in the third person ("the MOB went looking for Todd Graham"), but the "your mom" joke was done in the second person. Clearly, they were not talking about Graham's mother. It was a randomly-placed "your mom" joke--nothing more, nothing less.

As for referring to Graham as "douchebag," I note that that, too, was done in the third person. As an epilogue while the MOB was running off the field, the MOB announcer said something like:

"A rabbi, a nun, and a priest walk into a bar. I can't remember what the punchline is, but I'm pretty sure it involves Todd Graham being a douchebag."

Again, it's just silly, random humor. Well played, MOB!
11-24-2007 10:41 PM
Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
At least when the UH fans get upset at the MOB, it's usually because somebody pulls the plug on the PA and they can't hear the script. This one was read in plain English, and augmented by a giant scoreboard in the north endzone.
11-24-2007 10:42 PM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans BowlDonators
Sleepy Owl Wrote:At least when the UH fans get upset at the MOB, it's usually because somebody pulls the plug on the PA and they can't hear the script. This one was read in plain English, and augmented by a giant scoreboard in the north endzone.

Bravo. Bravo.

Also, in an answer to a question asked near the top of the thread, you can make your tax-deductible donation to The MOB through the normal Rice donation channels -- just explicitly instruct that your donation is for The MOB and/or Rice Bands (and not the general fund).

I'll also make audio recordings of the announcer portion of the script on CD for anyone who donates $50 or more. PM me if interested.
11-24-2007 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
austinowl73 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, the Phils

New Orleans Bowl
By far the best MOB show in years. Every now and then it's good to have a show the Rice folks laugh at and the opponents just hate.
11-24-2007 11:46 PM
Dynamo Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice, Rice Baby
Tulsa Fan Wrote:I am waiting with wanton anticipation for the CUSA slap-down. I hope it includes athletics sanctions.

I was told that if you hold your breath, all of your wishes will come true.
11-24-2007 11:58 PM
madowl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Owls
Tulsa Fan Wrote:I am waiting with wanton anticipation for the CUSA slap-down. I hope it includes athletics sanctions.

Never happen. You realize though, what you are doing right now is exactly why this will go down as a great performance? Honestly, some kind of official sanction of the MOB would probably make them proud... but not nearly as much as watching this.

03-hissyfit 03-hissyfit 03-hissyfit
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2007 12:01 AM by madowl.)
11-25-2007 12:00 AM
sarcoog2010 Offline
Jorts Hater

I Root For: UH & Rice/SLU

The Parliament Awards
Having read a description of the show (and being an english major) the divine comedy stuff sounds very funny. I can really appreciate that kind of humor (tulsa fan seems incapable of this). Doesn't hurt that it was a lil cold and miserable today too...

Kudos to anyone who was watching football in this weather today.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2007 12:09 AM by sarcoog2010.)
11-25-2007 12:08 AM
austinowl73 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, the Phils

New Orleans Bowl
I didn't know "wanton" was permitted in Tulsa. TulsaFan will probably be looking for a new home.
11-25-2007 12:11 AM
sarcoog2010 Offline
Jorts Hater

I Root For: UH & Rice/SLU

The Parliament Awards
Tulsa Fan Wrote:I could care less what the Rice Band thinks of m posts. It is my opinion that their performance was a violation of the NCAA's rules regarding sportsmanship by school sponsored groups.

Given that what the band did was worse, considering the venue, than anything any Tulsa an has done on this site I would think that you all would be horrified at their performance and would run crying to the administrators, like you did here.

03-hissyfit

03-puke tulsa
11-25-2007 12:11 AM
Dynamo Owl Offline
1st String

ricoboy Wrote:There was a football game today. and all your worried about is what the band did at halftime.

TU fans hate Rice more than they love Tulsa.
11-25-2007 12:16 AM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Dynamo Owl Wrote:TU fans hate Rice more than they love Tulsa.

And Rice is their Super Bowl... Halftime Show.
11-25-2007 12:21 AM
wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls
I will add my kudos to the MOB. You delivered a great show today. Best show I have seen from you guys in years. Long live the MOB!!!
11-25-2007 12:29 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
At Ease Wrote:I thought it was a great show as well.

The reaction to the MOB on their rivals board is priceless. As were the boos. Oklahoma aggy?

According to teasips, "Oklahoma aggy" is the team that just got walloped by the paperclips.
11-25-2007 12:52 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Riiiiiggghhht, and you do?
11-25-2007 01:59 AM
CTRice10 Offline
Mildly Opinionated

sarcoog2010 Wrote:Having read a description of the show (and being an english major) the divine comedy stuff sounds very funny. I can really appreciate that kind of humor (tulsa fan seems incapable of this). Doesn't hurt that it was a lil cold and miserable today too...

Kudos to anyone who was watching football in this weather today.

Coming back from Boston, where it was 20 degrees when I left, this weather was positively balmy once the rain stopped.
The MOB show was as hilarious as it had been cracked up to be all season by my friends and acquaintances in the MOB (even though none of us in the student section could figure out why YMCA was played when it was). The inclusion of "Sell Out" into the MOB's repertoire, which I first noticed at a basketball game, made me (and the others who know the song who were standing around me) incredibly happy (made better by the fact that I imagine few in the Tulsa section knew the song, or they would probably be throwing a hissy fit about it now). This show bought the MOB a lot of goodwill among those students who usually grumble about the MOB (for those who weren't there, the MOB got cheers and applause and whatnot from the student section when they came over to play "Louie Louie" after the halftime show, more support than I've ever seen for the MOB at a football game). And the show was so funny, the last joke wasn't even really necessary, it was like the profane little cherry on top that made it all the more memorable. Can't wait to send the link for the script to my Mom (Jones '73) who used to tell me stories of the MOB's glory long before I was even thinking about college.

edit: This show was well worth any potential fine, and if y'all need some help paying it, don't be shy about letting us know on the board here. I know I'm willing to chip in an entrance fee and I bet my Rice-grad relatives would pony up a bit too after hearing the whole story and seeing the script or a youtube video. Tulsa can whine all it wants, if they had brought their band, I would've watched respectfully. Maybe Rice fans just know how to take an insult or, I dunno, a joke (we've certainly had to put up with a fair amount of it from the likes of UT, Tech, Houston, etc.)...
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2007 02:17 AM by CTRice10.)
11-25-2007 02:13 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Seriously, are you this stupid? The mom bit was brought up in the second circle. Gosh.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2007 02:33 AM by d1owls4life.)
11-25-2007 02:30 AM
Dynamo Owl Offline
1st String

Tulsa Fan Wrote:Seriously, are you people this stupid? Tulsa fans no problem with the inferno bit and ould have found it very funny if you had not made reference to finding out coach's mother in the fourth circle and then called him a douche bag. Freaking morons.

Well given that there was no reference to Graham's mother, Tulsa fans should have found it half very funny, right?
11-25-2007 02:31 AM
pakruse Offline
Water Engineer

From reading the Tulsa threads, here, it's fairly obvious that they either weren't personally at the game, didn't watch the halftime show, or simply missed the point. The Tulsa fans I saw at the game getting riled up over the halftime show were most upset over the "Sellout" segment, rather than the "Your Mom" joke that they seem to be focusing on currently. I noticed at least one Tulsa fan shouting "He never signed the contract" over and over again during the playing of "Sellout".

Also, for the record (I can't post this on their forums, as there's a minimum two day waiting period before posting, but they've been speculating that there were only 200 Rice fans and 1000 Tulsa fans at the game), the official attendance was 11742, according to Rice Athletics
11-25-2007 02:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.