Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Great show by the MOB
75Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Great show by the MOB
I could not find coffee. I do not order the cocoa.

Caelligh Wrote:
wheredidmypantsgo Wrote:...One frustrated loser is even citing NCAA bylaws and writing to Rice and complaining. Yeah, have fun with that, tough guy - I wouldn't expect a response.

What they ought to be complaining about is the watery hot cocoa sold at the game. It was really just hot brown water. Terrible, terrible, terrible. We ought to be sanctioned for serving such nasty cocoa.
11-26-2007 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
At Ease Wrote:
Caelligh Wrote:
wheredidmypantsgo Wrote:...One frustrated loser is even citing NCAA bylaws and writing to Rice and complaining. Yeah, have fun with that, tough guy - I wouldn't expect a response.

What they ought to be complaining about is the watery hot cocoa sold at the game. It was really just hot brown water. Terrible, terrible, terrible. We ought to be sanctioned for serving such nasty cocoa.

Hah, this was so true. Just awful.

I think that one of the things advocated by "Freakonomics" is that during hot spells, you should raise the price of water/soda in vending machines, to scale with demand. Had they been flexible on pricing cocoa, then maybe your $9 cocoa would've tasted good.
11-26-2007 12:25 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
Quote:what is "over the line"

Over the line was the "your mom" comment and the "douchebag" comment. It was an absolutely hilarious read, but when you resort to name calling and insulting coach's mothers during the FOOTBALL HALFTIME SHOW, you lower the opinion of your school, and by association the conference as a whole. Devoting the entire halftime show to this was not really a move that garners any respect for Rice (and you did lose the game, I'll give you props for keeping it close). This is an example of childish internet manners leaking out into the open air (well... should I be surprised, this is Rice).

Oh well, I'll be paying attention to what's the end result of this. 20 years from now when UAB is playing in a packed arena of 50,000 solid green, I'll remember this script when my donations pay for the halftime show of the first UAB v UAT game.
11-27-2007 12:54 AM
CTRice10 Offline
Mildly Opinionated

I Root For: Rice
GreenMississippi Wrote:

Over the line was the "your mom" comment and the "douchebag" comment. It was an absolutely hilarious read, but when you resort to name calling and insulting coach's mothers during the FOOTBALL HALFTIME SHOW, you lower the opinion of your school, and by association the conference as a whole. Devoting the entire halftime show to this was not really a move that garners any respect for Rice (and you did lose the game, I'll give you props for keeping it close). This is an example of childish internet manners leaking out into the open air (well... should I be surprised, this is Rice).

Oh well, I'll be paying attention to what's the end result of this. 20 years from now when UAB is playing in a packed arena of 50,000 solid green, I'll remember this script when my donations pay for the halftime show of the first UAB v UAT game.

how many different people have to clarify how many different times that the "your mom" joke was not directed at Graham or his mother. It was directed at a generic "you"...
11-27-2007 01:09 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
CTRice10 Wrote:
GreenMississippi Wrote:

how many different people have to clarify how many different times that the "your mom" joke was not directed at Graham or his mother. It was directed at a generic "you"...

Had it been directed at TG's mother, the script would have said "his mother", since Todd was discussed in the third person only. By using "your mother', they directed it at every person in the audience, including me and all the other Rice fans. We aren't crying about the narrator talking about our mothers...nobody else should be either.
11-27-2007 01:23 AM
sonofanowl Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice and UNT
Baseball GeniusNew Orleans Bowl
First - what a memorable show! My parents were at the A&M game in '73 and talked about it (proudly) for years. I'm glad that my wife and I can always share the memory of Tulsa in '07. Biggest disappointment is that I can't share it with my dad.

Second - why are all the Tulsa posters trying to talk smack about attendance? Since the series resumed in 1996, the 7 games at Rice have averaged 15855 in attendance. The 5 games at Tulsa have averaged 15740. Now, I never went to Rice (University, that is) but I believe that 15855 > 15740. Interesting note: Rice has won 4 out of 5 in Tulsa (maybe that's why they don't show up?).
11-27-2007 01:34 AM
HooCares Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, Tulane
OptimisticOwl Wrote:Had it been directed at TG's mother, the script would have said "his mother", since Todd was discussed in the third person only. By using "your mother', they directed it at every person in the audience, including me and all the other Rice fans. We aren't crying about the narrator talking about our mothers...nobody else should be either.

Try this. It's shorter and multi-purpose:

"I can explain it to you, but I cannot UNDERSTAND it for you."
11-27-2007 01:37 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
HooCares Wrote:
OptimisticOwl Wrote:Had it been directed at TG's mother, the script would have said "his mother", since Todd was discussed in the third person only. By using "your mother', they directed it at every person in the audience, including me and all the other Rice fans. We aren't crying about the narrator talking about our mothers...nobody else should be either.

Try this. It's shorter and multi-purpose:

"I can explain it to you, but I cannot UNDERSTAND it for you."

True. I explained it to them, but since they are determined to be offended, they will interpret it as they want - incorrectly.
11-27-2007 01:50 AM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
I have come to realize that in each conference there will always be at least one group of fans that will be offended no matter what. In the SWC, it was the Aggies. In the WAC, it was the Rainb..., I mean just Warriors. Now it is the Golden HurricaneS. How in the hell do you make your team the Hurricane (singular)? That is just stupid. It is a team, meaning there are multiple players, thus hurricanes. A team a single hurricane does not make. But I digress... Some people are just looking to be offended.
11-27-2007 01:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
Ok, intent taken (I could only scan so many posts, didn't see the literary analysis on that phrase). It is easy to misinterpret because the focus of the piece is certainly directed at Graham, but "your mom" is a common slang phrase and gramatically "y'all" are correct. Still childish, still a bad reflection of Rice, but I'm glad y'all are having fun and I wish I was there. I would have enjoyed it myself and mused on the ramifications later.
11-27-2007 02:02 AM
Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl
lauramac Wrote:
pakruse Wrote:Heh - I think I've made myself misunderstood.

I *am* a MOBster. I've seen all of the scripts.

aha... my bad, and welcome!

pakruse Wrote:Any thoughts on who might have the archived owlzone threads or know where they are?

Sorry... Owlzone vanished on us a few years ago, and (AFAIK) no one around here *still* knows what happened there.

Yes, we do. There's a post somewhere in the Parliament archives where one of our contributors ran into Woods at a baseball game or something and heard the story. As I recall, Woods was having webhosting issues combined with a general lack of time (and his computer being stolen a couple of times didn't help), so when Owlzone underwent its final crash in June 2005, he decided to throw in the towel at that point.
11-27-2007 05:51 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
GreenMississippi Wrote:Still childish, still a bad reflection of Rice...

Only to those who don't have the maturity to laugh at themselves. It looks (by the rest of your quote) that you probably would laugh had you been there and experienced it, though you are being swayed by your perhaps less mature peers??

As for how it reflects on Rice, The Mob is LITERALLY known world-wide for skits like this. I'm not saying LOTS of people in lots of countries, but I suspect more people in other countries have heard of The Mob and their antics than could tell you what state Tulsa is in. In "the dark ages" of Rice football a few decades ago, the Mob was perhaps our most famous "sport". They've been written up in Playboy, The Wall Street Journal and NUMEROUS other National publications. Not many bands can say that.

Not trying to slam your opinion, just putting your conclusions in a larger perspective.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2007 10:05 AM by Hambone10.)
11-27-2007 10:03 AM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
GreenMississippi Wrote:

What a sanctimonious piece of feces. Do you troll all the boards looking for something to judge. Who the hell do you think you are. You apparently do not even have an idea of the context. If you do not have anything worthwhile to say, stay in your own dingy little board.
11-27-2007 10:27 AM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
GreenMississippi Wrote:

11-27-2007 10:33 AM
chapel hill owl Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I think my favorite MOB show witnessed first-hand was at Michigan a few years back. The MOB was playing a pre-game show. The crowd, accustomed to massive Big Ten marching bands, was getting restless when the announcer stated that the MOB would not be playing the National Anthem, as it would leave that honor to the Michigan band. The MOB would, however, like to honor the great state of Michigan by playing the state song of Michigan and requested that those in attendance rise to their feet. 110,000 maize-and-blue clad folks stood, and the MOB promptly unfurled a giant Canadian flag and launched into "O Canada". The best part was that everyone remained standing, and I couldn't spot a single person in the crowd that recognized that they'd been had.

And maybe that's the MOB's problem. Maybe they write offensive stuff all the time, but they can just count on the other guys not getting it and therefore not getting offended. But even though "douchebag" sounds like a French word, enough Tulsa fans actually knew what it meant to be offended, resulting in the current brouhaha.
11-27-2007 10:43 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
Hambone10 Wrote:As for how it reflects on Rice, The Mob is LITERALLY known world-wide for skits like this.

And in the movies, too. Who can forget them in Naked Gun? OK, well they weren't visually in Naked Gun, but that was a MOB version of Louie Louie there at the end. They had to use some other random band to stand in for the MOB on the screen and have them pretend they were the awesome, world-famous musical crew. Probably because OJ would have felt overshadowed by the presence of such stars.
11-27-2007 11:10 AM
MOBweb Offline
Byte me.

New Orleans BowlDonators
gsloth Wrote:OK, well they weren't visually in Naked Gun, but that was a MOB version of Louie Louie there at the end.

IIRC, that's not only a MOB version of Louie, you hear an actual MOB recording.

Speaking of which, we're Track No. 1 on The Best of Louie, Louie: Volume 1: link
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2007 11:42 AM by MOBweb.)
11-27-2007 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pakruse Offline
Water Engineer

MOBweb Wrote:
gsloth Wrote:OK, well they weren't visually in Naked Gun, but that was a MOB version of Louie Louie there at the end.

It is. The MOB is listed in the end credits.
11-27-2007 11:42 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
MOBweb Wrote:

Speaking of which, we're Track No. 1 on The Best of Louie, Louie: Volume 1: link

Which, I'm sorry to say (or maybe I'm not), I actually own. Fun stuff.
11-27-2007 01:36 PM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Yeah, too bad the MOB got Milli Vanilli'd in that movie. :cursin: Wasn't it the USC Trojan Band (doing something weird, I think they call it "marching") on the screen?
11-27-2007 01:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.