Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Demetrius Jones
Bookmark and Share
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
RE: Demetrius Jones
NIU Chicago Wrote:The Sun Times says he is a sophmore as does the Irish website - I trust the Irish website.
I've already pointed this out. He's listed by his academic year on the Notre Dame athletic website (some other schools do it that way, including Purdue). He redshirted last year. He is a rs-Fr. this year.

You have 5 years to play 4 and he did not play as a true freshman. Whether or not Notre Dame was going to let him use the redshirt is irrelevant. Simply by not playing last year, he redshirted.
09-15-2007 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Good luck Huskies. DJ has alot of talent.04-cheers
09-15-2007 09:01 AM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
emu steve Wrote:Lot of rules the NCAA makes could be challenged in court like the Letter of Intent.

I believe if an athlete or group challenged it it would get tossed.

Schools are members of an association but a 17 year old high school kid have never 'bargained away' his rights to do a lot of things.

Schools agreed to it because with it out it would be anarchy - coaches would be 'stalking' 5 star recruits until they should up for class the first day at another U.
Of course they could be challenged, I just don't think the court would strip the NCAA of its right to govern itself and the schools that are member institutions. At some point, the NCAA has to be able to regulate things if for no other reason than to simply keep the recruiting from getting totally out of hand, and not just the HS kids.

Just out of curiosity, why would Jones situation be worthy of litigation, but not other 1-A transfers? Is there a specific reason, given his situation, for your opinion or are you speaking generally with respect to transfers? Just wondering.
09-15-2007 09:01 AM
HuskieWannaB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:well can it be 08 yet?02-13-banana

+1 cannot wait02-13-banana
09-15-2007 09:04 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Do sports reporters read our board? Look at the second and third paragraphs.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=38568
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 09:21 AM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
09-15-2007 09:18 AM
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:Do sports reporters read our board? Look at the second and third paragraphs.

Ithought the same thing.
09-15-2007 09:25 AM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
Notre Dame, technically speaking, doesn't " redshirt" players. For a player to be granted a fifth yr of ND eligibility he has to petition the University as a senior to have them grant an extra year of playing time. I believe one of the requirements is that the player will have graduated and be enrolled in Grad school.

Not all 5th year petitions are granted and this would, I suspect, give the coaching staff the opportunity to open up a couple of scholarships if the player doesn't pan out or his expected contribution is neglible.
09-15-2007 09:47 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:Do sports reporters read our board? Look at the second and third paragraphs.

Yeah that seems pretty obvious to me.
09-15-2007 09:50 AM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
Just mentioned on College Gameday that internet chatter has Jones transferring to NIU.
09-15-2007 10:00 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Hello College Game Day!
09-15-2007 10:01 AM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
We should (I would think) find out today. If he has transferred you'd think this will be addressed during the broadcast of today's game. This could be the thing we need to really move this program to the next level!!! 04-cheers04-rock02-13-banana
09-15-2007 10:30 AM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Dates don't seem to be favorable for DJ to play in 08.

Quote:Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis issued a statement saying he was informed at 2:30 p.m. Friday that Jones would not be traveling with the team to Michigan. Jones had practiced with Notre Dame as recently as Thursday.
"I have not spoken to Demetrius and can only say that he missed the team bus," Weis said in the statement. "Any additional comment would be without all the facts."

Messages left for NIU athletic director Jim Phillips and NIU assistant athletics director for media relations Donna Turner were not immediately returned.

If Jones has transferred to NIU, he might have to sit out both the 2007 and 2008 football seasons, leaving him with only two years of eligibility remaining. According to NCAA Bylaw 14.5.1.1, a transfer student from a four-year school such as Notre Dame can't be eligible to play for a full academic year. If the player enrolls at a different school after the 12th day of classes, he cannot use that semester as part of the "academic year of residence."

Since NIU started classes Aug. 27, Jones would have had to enroll as a full-time student by Wednesday -- the 12th day -- in order to use the fall semester to establish residency.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 12:45 PM by HuskieBowWow.)
09-15-2007 12:32 PM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
NIU Chicago Wrote:
7 Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
7 Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
7 Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:7 - Plus, at this point, if Britt has aspirations of playing in the NFL, it would hurt him to move back to QB now - but Novak shouldn't have moved him in the first place. Are you telling me Britt was wanted to move to WR instead of playing QB when the move was first made???
When he didn't beat Horvath out for the job as a freshman, he requested to play WR.

Novak didn't approach him, he approached Novak.

Thanks for proving my point - Joe forced him into the position of playing WR or not playing at all. He didn't move to WR UNTIL Joe put Horvath ahead of him. He didn't come to NIU and say - "hey Coach, I want to play WR instead of QB."
He did?

You act like every QB comes in as a freshman and plays right away. And man, maybe Horvath actually beat him out for the job? Nah, that can't be it.

It's not like he was sitting there as a Junior not getting on the field. He moved to WR because he wanted to get on the field. That was his decision.

Maybe Horvath did - but there is no way we can now either way. But we do know Joe is not the best judge of talent out there and has a history of taking seniority over talent.
Whatever you say.

Alex Kube over Mark Reiter. Really took seniority there.

The exception makes the Rule!

Joe had Wolfe and Turner - the best RB's at NIU both play after injuries to the starter - wow - great insight there huh!!!

Thanks Chicago. It's been so well covered on this board that Joe doesn't do a great job evaluating the talent he's got on board and favors seniority that I didn't even bother replying to 7. And it wasn't like I said Joe NEVER puts in a more junior player - but clearly his M.O. is to favor the one with more experience even when more talented players are behind them - your Wolfe and Turner examples being 100% on point.
09-15-2007 04:23 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
dynovinyl Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:Less than 2 WEEKS after he started the opener at QB, he cried, pouted, quit, and ran home instead of trying to get better?? I don't want somebody like that on our football team, who's to say he won't do it again if Grady or Harnish end up being very good?
IF this is true, I'll reserve judgement before jumping to any conclussions. we don't know the whole story of what went on/is going on.

it is true hes already enrolled in classes.
09-15-2007 06:38 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribun...-da-2.html

Quote:

« Jones' mom: 'I believe' he's done at ND | Latest postings | Irish Game Day: First quarter and then some »

Originally posted: September 15, 2007
Irish Game Day: Jones looks like a Huskie
12:15 p.m.

The Tribune's John Mullin checks in from DeKalb and says that sources indicate Demetrius Jones is enrolled at Northern Illinois -- and is on today's players' pass list for the Huskies' game against Eastern Michigan.

ESPN is also reporting that Jones has enrolled at Northern Illinois, citing an unnamed source.

Mullin reports that Jones has a "Z ID" number, which all students at Northern Illinois are given. Still in question, though, is how much contact -- if any at all -- Jones has had with the Huskies coaching staff.

If Jones enrolled by Wednesday -- and one source close to NIU tells Mullin that was the case -- that means he made the cut-off date for counting this semester toward the year he must sit out.

NCAA rules say a transfer player must be enrolled by the 12th day of classes for the clock to start on the year the player must miss when transferring from one D-IA (bowl subdivision) school to another. Northern Illinois started classes on Aug. 27, making Wednesday that critical day.

Jones, the Morgan Park product who started Notre Dame's season opener, did not board the Irish team bus to Michigan on Friday, setting off a maelstrom of speculation regarding his future with the program. Jones' mother told the Tribune on Saturday morning that she believed her son was done at Notre Dame, though she was not 100 percent sure.
09-15-2007 07:21 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Great Day in NIU football?

I think NOT but it is exciting and cause for optimism ahead.

Let's not annoint him the second coming just yet.

Should the future be so bright & require shades, how about the nickname
"TOUCHDOWN De Jesus."

All JP needs now to consummate a miracle from above of biblical proportions and an answer to our prayers is to schedule ND in SF and NIU wins.

The greatest secondary benefit of this IMO may be the favorable pub & his ability to bring along with him next season other talented freshmen CPS/chicagoland players.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 08:05 PM by cyberdawg.)
09-15-2007 07:52 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

cyberdawg Wrote:Great Day in NIU football?

I think NOT but it is exciting and cause for optimism ahead.

Let's not annoint him the second coming just yet.

Should the future be so bright & require shades, how about the nickname
"TOUCHDOWN De Jesus."

All JP needs now to consummate a miracle from above of biblical proportions and an answer to our prayers is to schedule ND in SF and NIU wins.
Now THAT would be a great game. Heck, I'd like to travel to South Bend with D-Jones as the QB.
09-15-2007 07:58 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/...orts01.txt

Quote:DeKALB - Sitting in the student section at Huskie Stadium, Demetrius Jones looked like a regular student.

Though rumors were swirling on the Internet and message boards throughout the country, Jones sat in relative anonymity in the stands during most of NIU's loss to Eastern Michigan.

Numerous sources have confirmed to the Daily Chronicle that Jones is enrolled at Northern lllinois University, and he will be eligible to play next season. A listing for a Demetruis Armond Jones is in the NIU online phone directory.

Several newspapers reported Friday that Jones didn't board the bus for Notre Dame's trip to Ann Arbor. Initial reports started surfacing Saturday morning that Jones would transfer to NIU.

A call placed to Jones' cell phone Saturday night by the Daily Chronicle added to the mystery. The man who answered the call didn't want to comment on the situation, but indicated there is more to the story than has been reported. The man even mentioned Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis calling him Saturday night regarding the transfer.

Jones started in Notre Dame's season opener against Georgia Tech, completing 1-of-3 passes for 4 yards. Weis pulled Jones after six series, paving the way for freshman sensation Jimmy Clausen to take over the starting job.

Jones had contemplated transferring for several weeks, according to a source who talked to Jones on Saturday afternoon. Following NIU's 21-19 loss to Eastern Michigan, a person resembling Jones stood outside the stadium waiting for NIU's players.

When approached by one reporter, the individual shied away from admitting his identity, but confidently confirmed Jones' measurements.

“He's a legit 6-foot-4,” he said.

A few minutes later, two local reporters walked over to the same individual who was wearing a Morgan Park High School skull cap and NIU gray jacket.

The person didn't deny or confirm he was Demetrius Jones, replying to the reporters, “I understand, that's your job.”

The individual then responded to another batch of questions, and indicated he was the cousin of NIU sophomore linebacker Phil Brown. Jones, Brown and cornerback Melvin Rice all played football at Morgan Park High School.

“I'm Phil's cousin,” he said. “I'm here to check them out. These are my boys from Morgan Park, Melvin Rice and Phil Brown.”

The same individual later joked, “I'm rolling out, my airplane is coming in a couple of minutes to take me to Michigan,” in reference to Notre Dame's game at Michigan.

NIU Media Relations Director Donna Turner didn't comment on the rumors surrounding Jones' transfer to NIU. Several reporters wanted to talk with Brown about Jones' status, but she said Brown had relayed a message to her that he was uncomfortable talking to reporters about Jones.

The sudden transfer by Jones coincides with NCAA bylaw 14.5.1.1b, “Any student-athlete (e.g., qualifier, nonqualifier, transfer student) admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency.”

The 12th day of class in NIU's fall calendar was last Wednesday. By beating the deadline, Jones is eligible to play for the Huskies next season. He would not be eligible to dress until the 2009 season if he enrolled after Sept. 12.

NIU coach Joe Novak addressed the rumors in the postgame press conference.

“I can tell you this, I've heard a lot of rumors,” Novak said. “I've heard a lot of stuff. All I can tell you is that I've had absolutely no contact with him, his family, or anyone representing of, nor have our coaches. So I'm listing to the same rumors everybody else is.”

The Jones saga took the spotlight away from NIU's embarrassing loss to Eastern Michigan. The arrival of Jones would add an intriguing twist to the 2008 season. Led by big group of upperclassmen, the Huskies will be loaded at several positions and can challenge for a bowl bid.

Quarterback Dan Nicholson, who has thrown 12 interceptions in his last six appearances, hasn't performed up to expectations this year, opening the door for the multitalented Jones to become the starter.

At 6-foot-4, 210-pounds, Jones would cause fits for Mid-American Conference teams with his blend of size, speed and athleticism. The sophomore would have three years left of eligibility if he starts playing next season.

Jones is the highest-rated recruit to attend NIU in several decades. He received a four-star (out of five) rating by Rivals.com in 2006. He was selected as the top player in Illinois, and the second-highest rated quarterback in the nation behind only Florida's Tim Tebow, a five-star recruit.

Bobby Narang can be reached at bnarang@daily-chronicle.com.
09-16-2007 11:44 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

http://northernstar.info/article.php?id=381

Quote:ESPN.com reported Notre Dame quarterback Demetrius Jones did not take the team bus to Michigan this weekend.

Instead, reports have indicated Jones was at Huskie Field, watching Saturday morning’s game against Eastern Michigan. These reports were verified by Northern Star reporters.

It appears the sophomore will transfer to NIU.

An individual who matched Jones’ appearance was sitting in the student section on the east side of the stadium Saturday. He was with a group about 10 rows up and around the 40 yard line on the north side of the stadium.

When approached after the game by a reporter, the individual, who was wearing a white Morgan Park winter cap, claimed he was not Jones. When he was approached later by two other reporters, he did not confirm nor deny that he was Jones.

Instead, when the reporters told him who they were and that they wanted to ask questions, the individual replied, “I understand, that’s your job.”

The individual said he could not make any comments regarding a transfer to NIU. He did say, however, he was NIU linebacker Phil Brown’s cousin.

“I’m Phil’s cousin. I’m here just to check them out,” the individual said. “These are my boys from Morgan Park — (NIU cornerback) Melvin Rice and Phil Brown.”

The individual then joked he was having an airplane come to pick him up in a few minutes to bring him to Michigan. When the Northern Star asked to speak to Brown after Saturday’s game, it was told he felt uncomfortable and did not wish to speak.

NIU head coach Joe Novak made a statement regarding the situation during his press conference.

“I can tell you this. I’ve heard a lot of rumors. I’ve heard a lot of stuff,” the coach said. “All I can tell you is that I’ve had absolutely no contact with him, his family, or anyone representing of, nor have our coaches. So I’m listing to the same rumors everybody else is.”

There is one student at NIU with the name Demetrius Armond Jones, according to the phone book on the school’s Web site.

This same individual’s full legal name and home phone number matches that of a sophomore at Notre Dame in that school’s online directory.

The NIU phone book also lists a home address for Jones. This address, however, does not exist, according to MapQuest.com or Google Maps.

But the street name, Inglewood, according to the phone book, is phonetically the same as Englewood. Englewood is a street on the South Side of Chicago, which has a matching house number and zip code to the address given by NIU’s phone book entry for Jones.

There also is evidence via facebook.com the quarterback is transferring to NIU.

At 3:53 p.m. on Sept. 10, 2007, a Demetrius Jones from Notre Dame left a message on Brown’s wall.

The message read, “i see you reppin hard and its mighty strange i look like i play for NIU in dat pict.fofolk.....................who knows what gonna happen.”

Jones’ Facebook profile picture is that of the Fighting Irish quarterback on the field.
If Jones did in fact transfer to NIU, the date he was accepted into the university will be crucial.

According to NCAA bylaw 14.5.1.1b, “Any student-athlete (e.g., qualifier, nonqualifier, transfer student) admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency.”

Residency is important, because as a transfer, Jones will have to wait a year before he could play on game day.

If Jones was admitted before the 12th day of class, then he could use the 2007 season as his transfer year, and play in 2008. This would require Jones to have been admitted to NIU before Wednesday, Sept. 12.

If Jones was admitted to the university Wednesday or later, he will not be able to participate on game days in the 2007 and 2008 season.

The Notre Dame quarterback has ties to NIU. Both Brown and Rice went to Morgan Park and played football with Jones. Brown and Rice graduated from the high school a year earlier than the quarterback.

According to Rivals.com, 2005 Jones was the No. 1 recruit from the state of Illinois. He was rated four out of five stars, and ranked as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the nation.

The No. 1 ranked dual-threat quarterback that recruiting year was Tim Tebow, who now starts at quarterback for Florida.

When Jones was being recruited, NIU was his fifth choice, according to Rivals.com. The Huskies beat out such schools as Illinois, Louisville and North Carolina.

Jones did see action this season in Notre Dame’s opener against Georgia Tech. The quarterback completed 1 of 3 passes, rushed 12 times for 28 yards and fumbled twice.
This article was oddly written.
09-16-2007 11:45 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/...16.article

Quote:A source close to the NIU program said he was told that Jones enrolled at the school on Sept. 4 -- the same day Clausen was named the Irish starter.

But Notre Dame players certainly were talking as if Jones is done in South Bend.

''He made his decision and ran with it and it's on him,'' Sharpley said.

Said linebacker Anthony Vernaglia: ''Obviously, it's disappointing. But if you're not going to be behind us 100 percent, we don't want you on the team.''
09-16-2007 12:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.