Donators
RE: Demetrius Jones
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:I am starting to agree with maddawg, I have no idea why at least one of these media outlets don't at least say, "unconfirmed reports say NIU..." or something?

Maybe to give NW hope? What do the Northwestern message boards say? Does any one know?

They did - Ch. 7 said NIU, NW or TN. Do we have any HARD official info that a standard media outlet could rely on? What "unconfirmed reports" are you talking about???

I'm sorry I was unclear. The little research that the fellas on this board did was enough to show me that he was in fact on campus.

Look at the NIU.edu site. So i'm not sure why they cannot rely on that, or even mention it.

But again, looking at your posts you appear to just like to fight. So nice to meet you and good day.

Hey new guy - what the heck is your problem. I asked you a question and you say I'm starting a fight??? Show me the posts where I'm fighting. Discussions are fighting? I didn't give you any crap - but you seem to have an attitude - so go crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of.

I work at a company with 16,000 employees and we have a lot of cases where two employees have the same name - including the same middle name - so the info this board is relying on - while I think is very strong - is probably not enough for a conservative news outlet to rely on.
Hey RB, knock it off. You are right. There isn't enough hard proof. A name doesn't make it proof. He was just wondering why they don't say "unconformed reports". They don't have to say it was little pieces from a message board. Most credible news outlets get hard evidence before it is mentioned.

For TheNEWguy: ignore him. He is never happy. Most of us here are good guys but there are some that take the game to seriously. I hope you stay around. RB will go back and crawl back under his rock when we start winning(he only posts here when we lose).

Thanks Robert. Every team that has fans has fans like him. It is easy to ignore the type.

Believe me - both of you don't know crap about me. I'm one of the biggest NIU fans around, and have supported them through years of TERRIBLE seasons. So, newguy, come talk to me after you've sat through years of losing seasons and then tell me I shouldn't even question the coach. If you still do that I'll know what your favorite drink is - St. Joe Kool Aid!

There's the broken record again.

St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid

Aren't you tired of listening to yourself yet? I sure am.
09-14-2007 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieWannaB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
demetrius jones Wrote:time to do da damn thing

+102-13-banana
09-14-2007 11:16 PM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
RobertN Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:I am starting to agree with maddawg, I have no idea why at least one of these media outlets don't at least say, "unconfirmed reports say NIU..." or something?

Maybe to give NW hope? What do the Northwestern message boards say? Does any one know?

They did - Ch. 7 said NIU, NW or TN. Do we have any HARD official info that a standard media outlet could rely on? What "unconfirmed reports" are you talking about???

I'm sorry I was unclear. The little research that the fellas on this board did was enough to show me that he was in fact on campus.

Look at the NIU.edu site. So i'm not sure why they cannot rely on that, or even mention it.

But again, looking at your posts you appear to just like to fight. So nice to meet you and good day.

Hey new guy - what the heck is your problem. I asked you a question and you say I'm starting a fight??? Show me the posts where I'm fighting. Discussions are fighting? I didn't give you any crap - but you seem to have an attitude - so go crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of.

I work at a company with 16,000 employees and we have a lot of cases where two employees have the same name - including the same middle name - so the info this board is relying on - while I think is very strong - is probably not enough for a conservative news outlet to rely on.
Hey RB, knock it off. You are right. There isn't enough hard proof. A name doesn't make it proof. He was just wondering why they don't say "unconformed reports". They don't have to say it was little pieces from a message board. Most credible news outlets get hard evidence before it is mentioned.

For TheNEWguy: ignore him. He is never happy. Most of us here are good guys but there are some that take the game to seriously. I hope you stay around. RB will go back and crawl back under his rock when we start winning(he only posts here when we lose).

Yeah - I only post when we lose - that comment just shows how little you know. So, why should I knock it off but not 7? Especially when you admit I'm right. You guys are unbelievable. I wasn't giving anyone a hard time. And I just posted my opinion why they didn't post it. I'm THRILLED - so you saying I'm not happy is a load of it. You "good guys" are just Kool Aid drinkers who god forbid never question Joe.
I meant knock off the hostilities and name calling. I am quite sure you can ask the question without getting hostile or calling names.

First, 7 called my post a joke, he was hostile - I haven't been hostile here at all. Second, please show me where on this thread I called someone a name. You won't be able to, because I haven't. But since you don't like my posts you lie and say I called names and was hostile when I wasn't???

Really, please show me a where in this thread a quote where I was hostile or called someone a name.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 11:28 PM by Rock Bottom.)
09-14-2007 11:21 PM
Rock Bottom Offline
All American

I Root For:
NiuCoils Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:
TheNEWguy Wrote:
Rock Bottom Wrote:

Thanks Robert. Every team that has fans has fans like him. It is easy to ignore the type.

Believe me - both of you don't know crap about me. I'm one of the biggest NIU fans around, and have supported them through years of TERRIBLE seasons. So, newguy, come talk to me after you've sat through years of losing seasons and then tell me I shouldn't even question the coach. If you still do that I'll know what your favorite drink is - St. Joe Kool Aid!

There's the broken record again.

St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid St Joe kool aid

Aren't you tired of listening to yourself yet? I sure am.

Then don't bother reading or replying to my posts.
09-14-2007 11:22 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
Welcome to NIU DJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09-15-2007 12:07 AM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

I Root For: NIU
The sudden circumstances of this are a bit weird, but I obviously take back most of what I said in my 1st post in this thread. If he did this so fast so as to be eligible to play in 2008 for a solid D-1A program and be the favorite to start at QB AND be close to home AND have a lot of friends on the team.....it makes a lot more sense. To have him eligible as a 3rd year sophomore next year is just too good to be true. Great work in this thread getting all the info, guys.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 12:22 AM by NIUHuskies86.)
09-15-2007 12:21 AM
TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

Here is something kind of cool:

Demetrius Jones was the #2 rated Dual Threat QB prospect:
#1 Tim Tebow Florida
#4 Jake Locker Washington
#3 Jevan Snead Texas then Ole Miss
and down there a bit
# 15 Nate Davis Ball State

I'd take a guy who was ranked ahead of Jake Locker
09-15-2007 12:21 AM
nnhsniuhuskies37 Offline
Banned

I Root For: NIU & Cubbies
well can it be 08 yet?02-13-banana
09-15-2007 12:24 AM
RandomNDstudent Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Notre Dame
In case anyone isn't sure... his loud mouth roommates/friends are..

-Friendly Neighborhood ND Student.
09-15-2007 12:32 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

welcome loud mouth rommates/freinds
09-15-2007 12:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tubaguy21 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
At least this gives us a not so pathetic reason to look forward to next year. Assuming his passing ability is up to snuff, then we could have so many more offensive possibilities next year.
09-15-2007 12:55 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
TheNEWguy Wrote:
FlashFan Wrote:If you watched him live play Georgia tech, you wouldn't be this excited. He stunk.

Yeah good players never have bad games. It isn't like anyone ever gets excited about potential in college football :)

I think it is the potential that excites everyone. That and the knowledge that NDs O-Line is pretty bad.

But clearly, if he had a great game vs. GT he wouldn't be here. So maybe the bad game a GT is what makes us happy?

FlashFan is the same guy who said three months ago that Demetrius Jones would not transfer to NIU. Ignore him. He's mad that i proved him wrong a long time ago.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 02:18 AM by epasnoopy.)
09-15-2007 02:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Sorry if this info has been posted (I couldn't read ALL of the posts).

Bottom line depends on the NIU academic calendar (which I don't know).

I'm quoting from a Rivals.com article:

"Possible destinations for Jones include Northern Illinois, Northwestern and Tennessee.

NCAA rule 14.5.5.1 states that "a transfer student from a four-year institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at a member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year at the certifying institution. Further, a transfer student-athlete admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency."

But if Jones enrolls at his next school before the 12th day of classes he could count the fall as part of his year away from competition. Northwestern begins classes later this month, meaning Jones could make himself eligible there institution next season.

Bottom line:

Could Jones come to NIU and enroll before the 12th day of classes?

2nd bottom line:

Could a player see action on say Sept 1., and then transfer to another school on say Sept 2, do a FULL academic year at his new school, and THEN be eligible next September at the new school?

Even though not mentioned, I assume the kid could transfer to a JUCO and be eligible next Sept (that is a common tactic in hoops to avoid a sitout with loss of a year's eligibility).
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 06:40 AM by emu steve.)
09-15-2007 06:36 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
apparently he's already enrolled and in classes. He's in teh NIU directory and a couple people have said that players have talked to him, seen him with the team etc...So he's a Huskie...
09-15-2007 08:17 AM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
MiniNovak Wrote:I don't think ND redshirts freshman. He is a true sophomore. I remember Zbikowski petitioning for this year.
He didn't play, thus he redshirted. He still has that year of eligibility. You have 5 years to play 4, and he has only played 1 so far.

There is nothing to "petition" for. See below for additional info:

Demetrius Jones: USA Today

Oct. 12, 2006: "Freshman quarterback Demetrius Jones is expected be redshirted this season according to head coach Charlie Weis."

FWIW, I still think the NCAA is going to have to make a ruling on his eligibility next year because he's already played this semester, thus I think throwing into question whether or not he has technically sat out this first semester. If it rules he hasn't, it won't count towards his one year.
09-15-2007 08:25 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Quote:

"FWIW, I still think the NCAA is going to have to make a ruling on his eligibility next year because he's already played this semester, thus I think throwing into question whether or not he has technically sat out this first semester. If it rules he hasn't, it won't count towards his one year. "

I'm not in favor of litigation every time some doesn't please some one, but I'd think that if he loses a year elig and has to sit out '08, that a court challenge would not be unreasonable.

NCAA needs to be a little more flexible on these FB transfers (hoops works better with mid-year transfers - kid plays two games and transfers in Jan and plays the next Jan and loses a HALF SEASON).
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 08:34 AM by emu steve.)
09-15-2007 08:33 AM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
emu steve Wrote:Quote:

"FWIW, I still think the NCAA is going to have to make a ruling on his eligibility next year because he's already played this semester, thus I think throwing into question whether or not he has technically sat out this first semester. If it rules he hasn't, it won't count towards his one year. "

I'm not in favor of litigation every time some doesn't please some one, but I'd think that if he loses a year elig and has to sit out '08, that a court challenge would not be unreasonable.

NCAA needs to be a little more flexible on these FB transfers (hoops works better with mid-year transfers of a kid transferring to JUCO and then doesn't need a sitout year).
The rule is actually vague and it doesn't really address whether or not playing in that same academic semester voids the sitting out period during the same semester at another school.

Also, because the NCAA makes the rules, I don't think a court case would hold up very well. Look at the schools that tried to legally force the NCAA to back off their hostile and abusive mascot stance, and to no avail. Being eligible to play a particular semester of NCAA athletics isn't an inherent right. It's really no different, to a large extent, than a kid being declared academically ineligible. I'm not sure what rights would have been infringed upon by the NCAA if that's what they decide to do.

I don't know what the NCAA will rule, I just think there is a chance they MAY take issue with him having already played this semester. I do think it throws into question whether or not he really sat out the first semester, regardless of where he's attending school.

I fully admit that the NCAA could look at it, not care and just follow the 12-day thing. I'm just thinking out loud, because that's how I interpreted part of the transfer rules.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2007 08:40 AM by UIHuskie.)
09-15-2007 08:39 AM
NIU Chicago Offline
Special Teams

UIHuskie Wrote:
MiniNovak Wrote:I don't think ND redshirts freshman. He is a true sophomore. I remember Zbikowski petitioning for this year.
He didn't play, thus he redshirted. He still has that year of eligibility. You have 5 years to play 4, and he has only played 1 so far.

There is nothing to "petition" for. See below for additional info:

Demetrius Jones: USA Today

Oct. 12, 2006: "Freshman quarterback Demetrius Jones is expected be redshirted this season according to head coach Charlie Weis."

FWIW, I still think the NCAA is going to have to make a ruling on his eligibility next year because he's already played this semester, thus I think throwing into question whether or not he has technically sat out this first semester. If it rules he hasn't, it won't count towards his one year.

The Sun Times says he is a sophmore as does the Irish website - I trust the Irish website.
09-15-2007 08:44 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Lot of rules the NCAA makes could be challenged in court like the Letter of Intent.

I believe if an athlete or group challenged it it would get tossed.

Schools are members of an association but a 17 year old high school kid have never 'bargained away' his rights to do a lot of things.

Schools agreed to it because with it out it would be anarchy - coaches would be 'stalking' 5 star recruits until they should up for class the first day at another U.
09-15-2007 08:46 AM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
Just woke up and great to see I didn't dream this up.

I can't wait to see Jones in a Huskie uni!!!!!!!!!!!
09-15-2007 08:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.