Demetrius Jones
Bookmark and Share
Bartindekalb Offline
Lord of the Dance; Special

I Root For: NIU
Donators
RE: Demetrius Jones
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:
Doggone Wrote:An insider on the Domer Domain message board has stated that it is a done deal and he is headed to NIU. We shall see.

It makes the most sense. I'll ask around, and I'm sure others here will too.

02-13-banana
09-14-2007 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
what is the domer domain board
09-14-2007 03:23 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
I could be wrong but that is why I am asking, if he transfers to a I-AA he would be eligable to play next fall correct? Isn't that why Billy Lowe went to 1-AA, so he could play this year? I know that if he goes to a I-A school he can not play till 2009. I am just trying to figure out the transfer rules.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:25 PM by BleedsHuskieRed.)
09-14-2007 03:24 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
wow.....Dan Nicholson best start playing up to his abilities now! (if this is true)
09-14-2007 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
illinoisportsfan Wrote:
HuskieDave Wrote:The Rivals ND board indicates that Jones is considering Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona State, Northwestern, and NIU.

It would be interesting if he went to Tennessee, where Clausen's brother played.

Two Clausens played QB at Tennessee. But Tennessee has Jonathan Crompton who was rated the 2nd best QB by Rivals.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:26 PM by epasnoopy.)
09-14-2007 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

huskiealum03 Wrote:wow.....Dan Nicholson best start playing up to his abilities now! (if this is true)
It has ZERO effect on Nicholson.

Jones wouldn't be eligible until 2009 as a RS Junior, and Nicholson will be gone by then.

I hope D-Jones comes to NIU, and it sounds like he might.

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
09-14-2007 03:29 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

armour248 Wrote:what is the domer domain board

http://www.domerdomain.com

The same insider later states that he will be eligible in 2008. I don't know how that could be true, but I'm not expert in the transfer rules.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:33 PM by Doggone.)
09-14-2007 03:31 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
please, what is the domer dome message board? lol

edit: thanks
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:35 PM by armour248.)
09-14-2007 03:33 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Doggone Wrote:

The same insider later states that he will be eligible in 2008. I don't know how that could be true, but I'm not expert in the transfer rules.
Oh my God if he is eligible next year I will die.

02-13-banana
09-14-2007 03:34 PM
illinoisportsfan Offline
Bench Warmer

epasnoopy Wrote:
HuskieDave Wrote:The Rivals ND board indicates that Jones is considering Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona State, Northwestern, and NIU.

Why would he be considering Illinois? Does he want to be a backup there? Illinois is sticking with Williams all four years, they benched their senior QB Tim Brasic to play Williams as a true freshman.

I think he would only consider Illinois if he were willing to play a position other than quarterback. He and Juice Williams are good friends and reportedly didn't want to compete against each other for playing time.
09-14-2007 03:35 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Doggone Wrote:

Given that he has played this year, I do not believe that is possible.
09-14-2007 03:35 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:I could be wrong but that is why I am asking, if he transfers to a I-AA he would be eligable to play next fall correct? Isn't that why Billy Lowe went to 1-AA, so he could play this year? I know that if he goes to a I-A school he can not play till 2009. I am just trying to figure out the transfer rules.

Because he played football this semester, and no matter what you have to sit out 2 academic semesters, he could not play until 2009 in 1-AA either. If he had decided this in July or early August, then he could, but it's too late now as he played the opener. Lowe is eligible (ran 2 times for 13 yards in the Georgia Southern opener) because he didn't play a down for us last year.
09-14-2007 03:36 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

Well I don't believe it's possible he could play next year, but I've been wrong before. Maybe I'm confusing the transfer rules of football and basketball, they are different since football season is only during 1 semester and basketball season is during 2 different academic semesters.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:40 PM by NIUHuskies86.)
09-14-2007 03:39 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

NIUHuskies86 Wrote:
BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:I could be wrong but that is why I am asking, if he transfers to a I-AA he would be eligable to play next fall correct? Isn't that why Billy Lowe went to 1-AA, so he could play this year? I know that if he goes to a I-A school he can not play till 2009. I am just trying to figure out the transfer rules.

Because he played football this semester, and no matter what you have to sit out 2 academic semesters, he could not play until 2009 in 1-AA either. If he had decided this in July or early August, then he could, but it's too late now as he played the opener. Lowe is eligible (ran 2 times for 13 yards in the Georgia Southern opener) because he didn't play a down for us last year.

I think that is incorrect. If you transfer to 1-AA, you do not have to sit out a year. That is how the 1-AA schools get all the 1-A transfers. I believe he definitely can play 1-AA next year.
09-14-2007 03:41 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

OK that makes sense. So if Lowe had seen some playing time he would not have been able to play at GA southern correct?
09-14-2007 03:42 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

OK that makes sense. So if Lowe had seen some playing time he would not have been able to play at GA southern correct?

No. Even if Billy Lowe had played, he would be eligible to play this year. The "year out" rule only applies to FBS (1A) to FBS (1A) transfers.

Lowe transferred from a FBS (1A) to a FCS (1AA) school. No "year out" requirement is applicable

God I hate this Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) garbage.
09-14-2007 03:46 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Btw, if this makes him eligible to play in 2008 it would seem to make sense why he left so early.
09-14-2007 03:46 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

I think that's correct, but I'm getting dizzy with all these transfer rules i'm looking up.
09-14-2007 03:47 PM
Premier Club Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:I think that's correct, but I'm getting dizzy with all these transfer rules i'm looking up.

Has anyone seen any legitimate media report this yet?
09-14-2007 03:49 PM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

Does everyone just like pretending like they know, or does someone actually want to look it up?

ncaa.org

Last years transfer guide: http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/tran..._guide.pdf

Quote:If you transfer from a two-year school and do not meet the transfer requirements, or you transfer from a four-year school, whether you are a foreign or domestic student, this basic transfer rule applies to you:
You must spend one academic year in residence at your new school before you are eligible to play.

Quote:One academic year in residence = How long you must spend at your new school before you can play. Sometimes people call the year in residence sitting out.
For your academic year in residence to count toward your eligibility to play, you must sit out only at the school where you intend to play. And you must be a full-time student. You cannot meet this requirement by going part time or by not being in school at all.
For a semester or quarter to count toward your one academic year in residence, you must be enrolled full time (which is generally at least 12 credit hours) and you must be enrolled before the 12th day of class.
Full-time = Each school determines the meaning of full-time status on its own.
Typically, you are a full-time student if you are enrolled for at least 12 credit hours a term. However, some schools define a full-time student as someone who takes fewer than 12 credit hours a term.

Quote:If you are now in a four-year school
If you are now in a four-year school and want to transfer to another four-year school, we sometimes refer to you as a 4-4 transfer. Generally, these rules apply to you.
If you transfer from a four-year school to another four-year school, generally you are not eligible to play at a Division I school until you sit out a year.
But, don’t give up yet. Read this section to see if an exception can apply to you to allow you to play right away.

Exceptions are applied by the new school (sometimes called the certifying school). The certifying school determines whether you are eligible to play right away without sitting out a year.
The certifying school has the authority to grant exceptions, based on the conditions that we explain here.
■ You can use an exception during your first year of enrollment at the new school only if you are a qualifier.
(Note: if you are a qualifier, have signed a National Letter of Intent, and transfer during the first year after you enrolled full-time, you may have to sit out for a period of time at the certifying school, even if you meet an exception. (For more information about the National Letter of Intent program, go to Page 27.)
■ If you are a partial qualifier or a nonqualifier, you must spend at least one academic year in residence before you are allowed to use an exception.
■ You cannot use an exception if you are sitting out a year at your current school.

If this is your first transfer
If you have never transferred before from a four-year school, you might be able to use the one-time transfer exception to play right away at a Division I or II school.
To use this exception, you must:
■ be playing a sport other than basketball in Division I, football in Football Bowl Division (formerly Division I-A), or men’s ice hockey in Division I (Note: You may be eligible to use this exception in football if:
■ You transfer from a Football Bowl Division (formerly Division I-A) school to an NCAA Football Championship Division (formerly Division I-AA) school and have at least two seasons of competition remaining or
■ You transfer from an NCAA Football Championship Division (formerly Division I-AA) school that offers athletics scholarships to an NCAA Football Championship Division (formerly Division I-AA) that does not offer athletics scholarships or
■ All sports, you were not recruited by your current institution and have never received an athletics scholarship.)
■ be in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree;
■ have been considered eligible if you had stayed in your first school; and
■ have a release agreement from your first school saying that it does not object to your receiving an exception to the transfer

In Divisions I and III,
If you did not practice or play in your sport for two years …
If you did not participate in your sport for the two years immediately before you want to transfer, you may be able to use this exception.
You may use this exception if you:
■ did not practice or play in intercollegiate sports for two years before you practice or play for the new school; or
■ did not practice or play in noncollegiate amateur competition while you were enrolled as a full-time student during the two-year period.
If you have never been recruited …
If you have never been recruited by the Division I or II school you plan to attend, you may be able to use this exception if you:
■ have not received an athletics scholarship; and
■ have not practiced beyond a 14-consecutive day period at any school or played in intercollegiate competition before you transfer.
If you return to your first school without participating at the second school …
To go back to your first school in Division I or II, you may use this exception if you did not practice or play at the second school.
If you are transferring to a Division III school …
If you transfer to Division III and you have never participated in your sport on the college level, you may be eligible to play right away after you transfer.
However, if you did participate at your first school, you may be immediately eligible only if you would have been both academically and athletically eligible had you stayed at your first school.[/
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:53 PM by dynovinyl.)
09-14-2007 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.