Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Demetrius Jones
scottiep12 Wrote:
epasnoopy Wrote:
HuskieDave Wrote:
bikechuck Wrote:Would he be eligible next season if he did land in DeKalb?

No. He would not be eligible next season.

Right, the kid already saw playing time at QB vs. Georgia Tech. I think he could be redshirted next season and not lose a year because i don't believe he redshirted as a freshman at ND.

Yes he did

He was a 2006 recruit and he is considered a sophomore this year, that would mean he didn't redshirt in 2006 as a freshman.
09-14-2007 02:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If he is out of school and looking to transfer, if he went to a FBS team he'd effectively lose 2 seasons between this one and sitting out next season. And again, if he left ND so fast, clearly being on the field matters to him.

Go to a FCS program and he can play right away next season...I'd expect SIU or even Appy State or some other top teams from that level to be strong candidates if he wants to play.
09-14-2007 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
epasnoopy Wrote:
HuskieDave Wrote:

Right, the kid already saw playing time at QB vs. Georgia Tech. I think he could be redshirted next season and not lose a year because i don't believe he redshirted as a freshman at ND.

Redshirting is something completely different than the NCAA requirement that you MUST sit out a year if you transfer from one FBS school (1A) to another FBS school. The transfer requirement is entirely seperate and has nothing to do with redshirting.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 02:58 PM by HuskieDave.)
09-14-2007 02:56 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

I Root For: NIU
DogTracks Wrote:If he is out of school and looking to transfer, if he went to a FBS team he'd effectively lose 2 seasons between this one and sitting out next season. And again, if he left ND so fast, clearly being on the field matters to him.

Go to a FCS program and he can play right away next season...I'd expect SIU or even Appy State or some other top teams from that level to be strong candidates if he wants to play.

He couldn't play for an FCS team next year either. The point of the 1-AA rule is that transfers in the case of coaching changes/changes of heart BEFORE the season have a chance to play. But no matter what, you have to be out for 2 academic semesters (not participate in athletics) after your last one at the previous school. So even if Jones went to 1-AA, he wouldn't be eligible to play until 2nd semester of the 2008-2009 academic year because he played in a game this fall, and obviously football is over by 2nd semester.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:04 PM by NIUHuskies86.)
09-14-2007 02:57 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
sounds right, going to a high caliber 1AA team.

i dont really see the attitude problem thing unless there's stuff I don't know about. people transfer all the time due to lack of PT. nobody labels them as crybabies. if i was a very skilled QB I know I wouldn't be fine sitting around on the bench of 5 years.
09-14-2007 02:59 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

HuskieDave Wrote:
epasnoopy Wrote:
HuskieDave Wrote:

Redshirting is something completely different than the NCAA requirement that you MUST sit out a year if you transfer from one FCS school to another FCS school. The transfer requirement is entirely seperate and has nothing to do with redshirting.

Your correct, but if you still have your redshirt year available, you can use it during the transfer year to keep the year of playing time. We have an example of that on our team this year actually in Anthony Mason, who played at Valpo in 2005 as a true freshman, redshirted during his transfer year last year in 2006, and is a redshirt sophomore this year.
09-14-2007 02:59 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
See post #9 in this thread:

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread...pid2484692

Thank you, thank you very much.
09-14-2007 03:05 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

I don't see any way he goes 1-AA either. Perhaps if he had been smart and decided this before the season, and could just use this academic years 2 semesters as his transfer time he'd go 1-AA and start as a 3rd year sophomore in 2008 somewhere. But since he screwed the pooch and waited until after he played a game this fall, he can't play any athletics anywhere until 2nd semester next year (aka no football, not even 1-AA) and he obviously wants to play right away and at somewhere of relevance and close to home where he knows people. I think we'd be the favorite to get him right now when you consider the QB situations at places like Northwestern (Bacher), Indiana (Lewis), Iowa (Christensen), and Illinois (Juice, McGee).

Just remember, no matter what your friends at gateway schools tell you, he can't play football at a 1-AA school in 2008 so I doubt he ends up in 1-AA.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:10 PM by NIUHuskies86.)
09-14-2007 03:09 PM
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
I heard about this a week ago. I think he feels he got blamed for the Georgis Tech game and Clausen is going to be their QB come hell or high water. He made a mistake going there. He would be a nice addition as he would sit out Nicholson's last year and then compete for the starting position. Lets hope the Yorden begins paying dividends.
09-14-2007 03:09 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
The Rivals ND board indicates that Jones is considering Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona State, Northwestern, and NIU.
09-14-2007 03:10 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

gcd Wrote:I heard about this a week ago. I think he feels he got blamed for the Georgis Tech game and Clausen is going to be their QB come hell or high water. He made a mistake going there. He would be a nice addition as he would sit out Nicholson's last year and then compete for the starting position. Lets hope the Yorden begins paying dividends.

I am correct in saying he couldn't play 1-AA football next year either because he has to sit out 2 semesters and obviously played this one with the Georgia Tech game correct gcd? I am 99.99 percent sure, but want to make it 100.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:12 PM by NIUHuskies86.)
09-14-2007 03:11 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

An insider on the Domer Domain message board has stated that it is a done deal and he is headed to NIU. We shall see.
09-14-2007 03:12 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:Less than 2 WEEKS after he started the opener at QB, he cried, pouted, quit, and ran home instead of trying to get better?? I don't want somebody like that on our football team, who's to say he won't do it again if Grady or Harnish end up being very good?

you could see it 2 ways:

1. he quit lin the manner you said

2. he saw a situation, that no matter how much he worked, he had no hope of overtaking the "golden boy" Clausen.....

clearly he has talent, and he needs a new change of scenery. i wouldn't mind having him - if agreed to start at the bottom of the depth chart and work his way up....
09-14-2007 03:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
illinoisportsfan Offline
Bench Warmer

NIUHuskies86 Wrote:I don't get why he ever went to Notre Dame. The reason he didn't go to Illinois was he didn't think he could beat out Juice for the QB job, and Notre Dame has a lot more "quality recruits" at QB than Illinois does. NIU is a legit candidate to get him though between chance to play and knowing people on our roster, whether you like it or not.

He was probably told he would be their quarterback of the future when he committed to Weis *before* they signed Jimmy Clausen. With Clausen now entrenched as the ND quarterback for the next 3-4 years he wants out.
09-14-2007 03:13 PM
rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: We Are Huskies
Any report on Paul Blalock and how well he is doing on the scout team?
09-14-2007 03:14 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
HuskieDave Wrote:The Rivals ND board indicates that Jones is considering Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona State, Northwestern, and NIU.

Why would he be considering Illinois? Does he want to be a backup there? Illinois is sticking with Williams all four years, they benched their senior QB Tim Brasic to play Williams as a true freshman.
09-14-2007 03:14 PM
illinoisportsfan Offline
Bench Warmer

HuskieDave Wrote:The Rivals ND board indicates that Jones is considering Illinois, Tennessee, Arizona State, Northwestern, and NIU.

It would be interesting if he went to Tennessee, where Clausen's brother played.
09-14-2007 03:16 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

epasnoopy Wrote:

Why would he be considering Illinois? Does he want to be a backup there? Illinois is sticking with Williams all four years, they benched their senior QB Tim Brasic to play Williams as a true freshman.

Their backup QB, Eddie McGee, might be even better than Juice, and they just got a verbal this week from a 4 star QB from North Carolina. No way Jones ends up down there.
09-14-2007 03:16 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline

Doggone Wrote:An insider on the Domer Domain message board has stated that it is a done deal and he is headed to NIU. We shall see.

It makes the most sense. I'll ask around, and I'm sure others here will too.
09-14-2007 03:17 PM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

Quick, someone check his facebook....isn't that how we confirmed Paul Blalock's transfer?
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2007 03:20 PM by dynovinyl.)
09-14-2007 03:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.