Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Official Football Study Thread
Bookmark and Share
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Official Football Study Thread
I will check into that later tonight! These fools need to be set straight.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2007 02:58 PM by kr983.)
10-08-2007 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KennesawFan53 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Surely the athletic department and the university will attempt to educate the student population on making an educated decision when it comes to the football issue. I can't understand why they won't announce anything. Are they honestly going to have us vote or take a survey sometime this semester without even hyping it up or atleast trying to exhibit what it can do for the university? It will never pass that way with all the nay sayers spreading and making up bogus stories. The administration has to communicate better with the students.
10-08-2007 04:03 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
I haven't heard anything about a vote. Still nothing through October makes me wonder. I may email the head of the exploratory committee or advisory whatever it's called.
10-08-2007 04:58 PM
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
We need to make our own Football at KSU not Ice hockey Facebook group. Does anyone know how to start groups?
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2007 08:30 PM by kr983.)
10-08-2007 08:16 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
I'd rather not... I'm just interested in helping KSU get football so someone has a better chance of knowing where my degree is from. Well that and coming back to watch them play. I think it'd be a great atmosphere in Cobb County, already home to many great high school teams. My alma mater, North Cobb doing quite well. Talks about state champions and that has never even been discussed in it's history.
10-08-2007 08:36 PM
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Ya North Cobb is 6-0. I understand not making a football not hockey group but we should at least start a Football at KSU group with links to all of the articles that we hvae posted on this thread. Many students have yet to read them and are left in the dark. What do you guys think of that? "Football at KSU"
10-08-2007 08:44 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
A lot about Georgia State's efforts but a good bit about Kennesaw State. Quotes from Papp and Waples.

http://www.georgiatrend.com/cover-story/...ball.shtml

Quote:...

And Georgia State is not alone. In June, Kennesaw State University released a feasibility study of its own, conducted by Turner & Associates.

“Our sports already are Division I, and we want to make sure that we are Division I in every sense,” says KSU President Dan Papp. “Football is part of the study, but we’re looking at the future of all of our intercollegiate sports programs, and how to fund them.

“There’s a wide perception that Kennesaw State needs to raise its visibility, and that athletics is a key way to do that. The feasibility [study] tells us that there is funding available for additional support of our existing sports programs, and that a lot of people think there is funding out there for football.”

The study identified more than $110 million in potential gifts from a variety of individual and corporate sources, and indicated that KSU is ready to begin an athletics capital campaign – a feasibility committee agreed, and plans for a $15 - 25 million campaign are moving ahead quickly.

Papp, who has barely been on the job for a year, insists that KSU’s efforts focus on all sports; but it seems that everyone wants to talk football.

“I’ve made 100-plus speeches and presentations for Kennesaw State, and every time during the question and answer session, with one exception, I’ve heard the [football] question,” says Papp, who was a defensive back at Dartmouth in the Ivy League, and later a quarterback for the semipro Florida Suns.

The one exception, he says, was during a presentation for a professional women’s group. “But afterward,” Papp says, “four or five ladies approached me and asked, ‘When are you gonna start football?’”

KSU’s Athletic Director Dave Waples has waited for an answer to that question for 20 years.

“I’ve always wanted a football program here,” says Waples, who helped start one at Valdosta State in 1981.

“We need to think of where we’ll be 30 years from now,” Waples says. “I believe by that time we’ll have a football team at Kennesaw State, and that we’ll be competing at the highest level, against the Georgias and Georgia Techs. And if we aren’t thinking that way, we are missing out.”
10-08-2007 08:50 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
# members - Name - URL
264 - Kennesaw State Football ( Still Undefeated) - http://kennesaw.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2201909139
711 - Ksu Needs a Football Team - http://kennesaw.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2201673106
*129 - KSU needs a FOOTBALL TEAM!!! - http://kennesaw.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5222894811
*24 - Kennesaw State University Football Team - http://kennesaw.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2246870706
251 - KSU Football - http://kennesaw.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2201605330

*25 - Anti-KSU Football - http://kennesaw.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226810648

* denotes post from October 1st (other than my own)
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2007 09:04 PM by Nick M.)
10-08-2007 09:02 PM
KennesawFan53 Offline
Water Engineer

There is no doubt in my mind football would succeed at KSU, that is if people will give it the chance. People want to be negative and say that a program would never succeed here and we could never compete with UGA. Thats not the attitude that took a two year junior college with a little over 1,000 students to a state university with now over 20,000 in 44 years. People underestimate the will and determination of this school, and it has done great with limited support. However, if we do not get a football program it will really hurt this school from getting where it wants to be and is capable of going.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2007 09:08 PM by KennesawFan53.)
10-08-2007 09:07 PM
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Look what South Florida has done since 1997... and they have only been Division I-A for 7 years.... and now they are in the top five in football! It can be done!
10-08-2007 10:03 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
Nick M Wrote:My alma mater, North Cobb...

Class of 2001. You?
10-08-2007 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
10-09-2007 08:56 AM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
Make no mistake about what we're going up against. Here is a letter to the editor for ETSU's vote. I'm sure there are plenty more. We will be up against the same type of arguments by the same type of people.

Quote:See Below.
East Tennessean online edition Sept 13, 2007.

Dear Editor,
Recently, it appears that everyone wants to rant about how the football deal was voted down, why it was voted down, and why it should or should not have been voted down.
Well, here's my rant.
To me, football is nothing more than two rows of guys that line up, head-butt each other at the sound of a whistle, chase a piece of strangely shaped leather that flies through the air or bounces on the ground, and then get up, take 10 minutes to get back in to formation, and do it all over again.
This game seems utterly pointless, so why re-instate something that was never really a success in the beginning?
Instead, why doesn't ETSU put together a sport that would allow both guys and girls to participate, cost very little, and be a great deal more fun to watch and keep score on?
I am, of course, referring to wrestling. Not wrestling like that "pro" stuff you see on TV, but true wrestling that pits people against each other to test their strength, their planning abilities, their strategy, their endurance and their body control.
Wrestling is so much more than guys wearing spandex and slapping the other guy around. It's a real sport that taxes the competitors on every level; physically, mentally, and emotionally. It's a true test of how strong a person is in all of these categories, and besides that its one-on-one quality makes for a great deal more excitement and tension.
So come on, people, drop this ridiculous football subject and get a true sport established.
- Aminda Miles
10-09-2007 10:45 AM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
The same Aminda girl is trying to back up her argument on the ETSU Football boards which is kind of amusing and still irrational. Outspoken people will be persistant.
10-15-2007 08:17 AM
larry85 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: KSU
I saw this article on the website and thought I would post it for those of you who haven't seen it. I'm an alumni of KSU and currently in graduate school at UGA. Anyway, I've read some of the stuff posted on here about football and thought that I would contribute.

The locations discussed in the article all seem fine to me for a stadium. The biggest surprise to be about this article was how the Big East is an option, I was hearing more along the lines of either 1-aa or maybe sunbelt conference. The biggest dissapointment for me is that only current students will be able to vote this fall, I hope those of you still there will be able to get the word out that football is good for a university whether you are a fan or not. In my opinion, this sucks because there have been rumors of football for years and now that it may finally happen all those people (like me) who had to listen to all those rumors and never see a team on the field will have no say on the matter. Anyway, here is the article and I'll post more if I see more:

http://www.ksusentinel.com/index.php?opt...4&Itemid=1

Athletic Director, Dr. Dave Waples, says that KSU is ready for some football. According to Waples, the first-ever fundraising campaign in the history of the university will kick off at the end of October. The proposed campaign includes an estimated $11 million for existing sports and anywhere from $15 to $30 million for football.

The $11 million will be used to build a field house with an indoor track and a 24-hour student recreation center, to upgrade the soccer and baseball fields, and to support academia.

The money allocated for the football program would be used in part to build a multi-purpose stadium, ancillary facilities and to acquire the land necessary to build these facilities. One possible location for the stadium is at the east parking lot near the Waffle House.

“I don’t want to build a stadium ten miles from campus, because that defeats the entire purpose of having football. I want students to be able to walk to the games,” Waples said.

Other possible locations include land on the opposite side of Chastain Road or land on the west side of campus.

How soon we get a team is entirely dependent on the success of the fundraising campaign.

“If we got the money tomorrow, boom, we’re into football immediately,” Waples said.

More likely though, Waples feels that coaches and staff could be hired during the first part of the 2008-09 school year. The staff would then begin scouting and recruiting in January 2009, and the team would be eligible to play in the 2011 season.

Dr. Shane Smith, assistant professor of Sports Marketing, says that KSU needs to do it soon if the school is going to beat Georgia State at acquiring a team. According to Smith, Georgia State is working harder and faster in the race for a football team.

In addition to the start-up costs and the current athletics budget, it is estimated that annual operating expenses of $1-$5 million will be needed to sustain the program. Part of this money would come from sponsorships, naming rights, ticket sales and concessions.

KSU says the majority, however, will likely rely on student athletic fees. According to Waples, “our athletic fees are among the lowest in the state, and we hope that the students will agree to an athletic fee increase to help support the football program.”

The amount of the proposed increase is undecided, but according to a feasibility study released by the athletics department earlier this year it may fall in the range of $30-$45 per semester. Students will be asked to vote on the increase this fall.

Waples says the size of the athletics fee increase will help determine the scope of the football program. The school’s options, he says, are to join Division 1-AA non-scholarship, which will cost $1 - $1.5 million per year in addition to the current budget, Division 1-AA with 65 scholarships, which will cost around $2.5 - $3 million per year or Division 1-A with 85 full scholarships, which will cost an estimated $5 million plus per year.

Waples said that if going to Division 1-AA is what it takes to get football, then that is what we will do, but ideally we would like to go straight to division 1-A. “If we are going to do it, we want to do it big.”

One option is the Big East Conference. Both the SEC and ACC have 12 teams, while the Big East currently has eight.

“This is the perfect place for football,” Waples added, referring to Atlanta and its lucrative media market.

Reactions from faculty around the campus are mixed. When asked about football, Dr. John David Johnson II, assistant professor of Sport Management, is protective of the existing sports programs, saying that rushing to Division 1-A is “not a good idea because it will take away from other sports.” He also points out other problems such as the lack of spectators for current sports, Title IX and the athletic fee increase.

“[Current] students’ fees will be going up to pay for a future football team. It’s not fair, and I think students have a right to know,” Johnson said. Smith disagrees, saying, “Football will have a tremendous impact on student culture. Good sports bring in good students, involve the community and bring in contributions. I’m all for it.”

Waples, who has been Athletic Director for 21 years, acknowledges that hurdles must be overcome, but maintains that football will help other sports. He also believes that in the long run, the notoriety will increase the value of students’ diplomas.

“We want to take [KSU] to the next level beyond a commuter school. To do that, we need campus housing and football, and we are doing everything we can to get football,” Waples said.
10-17-2007 11:20 AM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
And so it begins:

written by Wm. George Hess, October 17, 2007

Has everone lost their minds? In order for football to have a positive result for all other sports, it must first be a winning enterprise. The same was said about going to Division I in basketball. The results have not been encouraging and I believe the same result will be for football. 11 million would do a lot more good if it was spent on improving the quality of instruction and learning at KSU. But would the donors be interested in that? I would hope so; but I suppose those donors are more interested in supporting barbarian exploits of smashing young men into each other without a care of what those repeated crashes will do their bodies as well as the long range effects to their health
written by iuliana, October 17, 2007

I MOST DEFINITELY DON'T AGREE WITH INCREASING OUR STUDENT FEES. KSU KEEPS BUILDING HOUSING AND MORE BUILDINGS BUT THE PARKING SITUATIONS IS CONTINUING TO GO DOWNHILL. FOOTBALL AT KSU IS A HUGE MISTAKE ESPECIALLY WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE A SUCCESSFUL SPORTS TEAM (YES I AM TALKING ABOUT THE HOCKEY TEAM) THAT ONLY CARRIES THE SCHOOL NAME AND MASCOT. THE SCHOOL IS GOING ABOUT THIS SPORTS PROGRAM ALL WRONG AND I DON'T WANT TO GIVE MY MONEY AWAY TO A SPORT I WON'T WATCH OR SUPPORT!!!! I SAY LET'S BUILD THE HOCKEY TEAM...I WANT TO BE PART OF A SCHOOL THAT DOES SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND STANDS OUT FROM THE REST OF THE HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS! I WANT TO BE PART OF A SCHOOL THAT TAKES PRIDE IN DIVERSITY 100% AND RECOGNIZES A SPORT THAT DESERVES RECOGNITION AND IS REPRESENTED BY GREAT TALENT...THE HOCKEY TEAM!
written by Zach, October 16, 2007

Keith Deininger2 are you saying that football is the only real sports program? I would highly recommend you go to a Hockey game once, where they sell out ever time they are in town, by the way they did win a championship. Football isn't the only sport worth watching.
written by Alum, October 16, 2007

KSU can stop using the excuse that it's a commuter school. Louisville is a commuter school and look at the success they have.
written by Keith Deininger2, October 16, 2007

I would love to see KSU acquire a Football Program, this is the 3rd largest university in the state, yet we have no real sports program. Granted KSU has been primarily a commuter school, but this is changing (although slowly), with the additional dorms now being built. On campus life just does not exist here at KSU, but it could. Other schools have done very well with major sports programs. KGKen commented that a Football program could scar the university. GA Tech, UCLA, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Boston College, just to name a few big schools have great scholastic programs as well as sports.

Sports Programs = BIG $$$$$$ for the school.

Ever go to a UT Game? 112K people at every home game that is a large sum of money that goes right back into the school. Granted it takes money to startup and run a program, but KSU needs some new life given to it and Football might just be the thing.

The whole restriction of Title 9 needs to be dropped so that a team can be added without the restriction of having to add an equal number of female related sports teams.

KSU has a Cheering Team, but who in the world are they cheering for? You don't see Cheerleaders at Soccer, Baseball, Softball or Track events. Perhaps at Basketball, but KSU deos NOTHING to advertise the game schedule and promote the events. KSU had regional sports airtime coverage last Basketball season, but I never saw any promotion of the games. There should be a huge billboard outside of the convocation center advertising ALL sporting events. There should also be advertising on the video displays located in the Student Center doing the same thing.

If KSU is really serious about getting together a football team, then the changes need to start now and get students involved with the current sports teams we have. Advertise the basketball games and hockey games. We have Owl Radio now, but what radio station is piped through the Student Center? Star 94!? What's with that?

Sorry about rambling, but I am all for a football program. If it brings money and fame to the university then great job! I have enjoyed my past 3 years at KSU, I have 2 prior degrees from 2 other universities and I can tell you this... give students something to do other than sit around their dorm rooms during the semester. Rah Rah Rah!
written by Michael T. Lanier, October 16, 2007

Football would give KSU a national image and it would make your diplomas worth more down the road. Football would help bring more money for other athletic programs. Football would also bring more money for academics programs. Football helps bring more students to a college and that means increased admissions requirements to help manage growth. Next thing you know we will have schools of law, medicine and engineering.
written by KGKen, October 16, 2007

I think it is a shame that footbal could end up scarring yet another great instituion of learning. Why can't KSU just continue to build on an already growing reputation as a school with increasingly higher standards for academics and a great place to interact with like minded students?
10-17-2007 11:24 AM
larry85 Offline
Water Engineer

It's hard to believe how ignorant those people are being by attempting to destroy the possibilty of football. They are acting as if it will destroy academics at KSU. No offense (I went there too), but KSU is not in the top realm when it comes to academics anyway, it is simply a decent state university. I fail to see how they can say that football will destroy academics when schools like unc, cal, uva etc. all have good football programs. Do these people seriously consider these schools to not be great universities?

In the world of academics, people may understand that Reed College is a better school than the University or Arkansas, but in the real world with real employers 99% would say that the University of Arkansas is better. Why? because they watch them play on Saturday. While this may not be "right", it is hard to deny this as reality, especially in the South. No one outside of Georgia has ever heard of KSU. If students hope to get jobs in other states or other regions of the country, then KSU needs to be more recognized nationally and a successful football and basketball programs are the most important step.

I agree with people who feel like KSU needs to focus more on academics, I just disagree that KSU can't focus on football at the same time. People who believe that KSU has a great reputation need to get out of Cobb county where they will realize that KSU has no reputation. They act as if KSU is some great academic institution and while it is a fine school, we need to be realistic about the academics there and not pretend that KSU is some sort of flagship institution of higher learning and realize it is simply a good state school.

and to that person who complains about parking. obvioulsy she has never been to another university in her life and doesn't realize that parking at ksu is just as good if not better than any other university. not to mention it is substantially cheaper than nearly any other university.

these people are the reason that i wish i was eligible to vote for football this fall. tuition at ksu is about half what it is at uga and these people are still complaining. why do people care about an increase in athletic fees by 50 a semester when so many are on hope anyway?
10-17-2007 11:43 AM
Corn_3024 Offline
Special Teams

All good points..Welcome to the board Larry..good to see more posters
10-17-2007 11:57 AM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
I agree 100%... if you read the Aminda post from ETSU's board, it's comical. There's just got to be enough common sense students step up and fight. That's what it's going to take.
10-17-2007 12:23 PM
larry85 Offline
Water Engineer

yeah, i read some of her comments. It seems as though she doesn't want football at etsu just bc she doesnt like to watch football. That is fine that she doesn't like football, i couldnt care less. but as a student why isn't she worried about her school's reputation that could be increased with football? the slight increase in athletic fees will increase the value of her degree in the long run in my opinion, so even if you hate football and never go to a single game, she should still care about her school's reputation and how future employers view it.

I really hope there are not a lot of people at ksu who have her viewpoint, maybe they just need some convincing. When i was at ksu, everyone i talked to seemed to really want football no matter what the costs and this was in the social sciences and humanities departments for the most part. Their only concern was that it may not survive bc the football team would be terrible in the beginning and therefore receive little support from students and the community.

i think the largest vocal opposition on campus will be coming from the 26+ crowd as they will perhaps have less interest in football and campus life in general and are also less likely to be on hope

If there is anything I have learned over the years about the possibility of football at ksu is to not get your hopes up. I've been hearing rumors about ksu starting a football team since i was in high school. I'll believe it when there is a team on the field.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2007 01:04 PM by larry85.)
10-17-2007 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.