Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USA Today -- ASU vs Memphis
Bookmark and Share
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

ARKANSAS STATE

INSIDE SLANT
If Arkansas State (0-2) can make it to Sun Belt Conference play without being beaten down physically and emotionally it will be a credit to coach Steve Roberts and his staff.

The Indians have already played at Missouri and LSU, and have been outscored 105-23. Arkansas State's "breather" comes this week at home against No. 25-ranked Memphis.

"At least it's at home," Roberts said.

Despite two whippings to open the season, Roberts says his team hasn't been beaten down yet. After this week's home game, the Indians go on the road three straight weeks.

"It is a very difficult chore," Roberts said. "It's very hard but I've been impressed with how we've handled everything.

"Maintaining your mental health is as important as maintaining your physical health. You don't want to lose your team before playing comparable opponents."

The Indians will get a comparable opponent next week when they open up Sun Belt play at Louisiana-Monroe. However, another daunting task awaits this week in a good Memphis team with loads of offensive talent.

"Obviously, they have a great football team and it's our third ranked opponent in a row," Roberts said. "It's another tremendous challenge but it's at home."

NOTES, QUOTES
SCOUTING THE OFFENSE: The Indians scored just three points at LSU but were playing against one of the best defenses in the nation. The passing game has been a pleasant surprise, but the Indians need to run the ball better, eat up more clock and keep their defense off the field.

SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: The Indians, who are starting six true or redshirt freshmen, are struggling on this side of the ball. They've allowed 105 points the first two weeks — the most in 12 years for the first two games.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Hopefully we'll have a very good crowd to get behind our football team. Certainly the last two weeks, we've seen how a good crowd can energize a football team." — ASU coach Steve Roberts, in the Jonesboro Sun, referring to hosting Memphis this week after playing road games at Missouri and LSU.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
THIS WEEK'S GAME: Arkansas State vs. Memphis, Sept. 18 — The home opener is against a difficult opponent, but it's a credit to the university for getting a home game against Memphis. The Indians are 0-2, and while they are underdogs, certainly have a better opportunity to pull off an upset than they did on the road against Missouri and LSU.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: QB Nick Noce — The junior has been a pleasant surprise, averaging more than 230 yards passing. He struggled against LSU, but has shown surprising poise and confidence.

WR Chuck Walker — The senior is averaging more than 115 yards a game receiving and has shown the ability to make big plays early in the season.

ROSTER REPORT: Junior quarterback Nick Noce is the starter, but highly touted junior college transfer Devin Hollins has played in both games this season. ASU coach Steve Roberts says Noce is his No. 1 man, but Hollins will continue to play as well. ... Senior safety LeUndo Adams, a heralded JUCO signee two years ago, was dismissed from the team. ... Senior center Tab Slaughter, who missed more than half of last season with a knee injury, won't play in 2004. ... Junior defensive back Chris Littleton was dismissed from the team. ... Senior defensive back Chris Jones, who has missed the last season and a half with a bad knee injury, played against Missouri and LSU ... Senior OL Steven Gibbs (hand) missed the Missouri and LSU games. ... Sophomore RB Chris Easley (knee) is out for the season.
09-16-2004 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

i really like the Mem - ASU series...esp now that it is football/basketball...i hope our two schools can keep it going.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
09-17-2004 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Yeah, as an ASU fan THE game that always gets me most pumped is Memphis. The schools are so close it is an easy drive for the fans; I would love to see the series continue. Bring back the Paint Bucket games!

After you guys lose at stAte today :D , I hope you win out BIG and DOMINATE your opponent in the Liberty Bowl or a BCS bowl.

Go SBC Football!!!
04-cheers
09-18-2004 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.