CSNbbs
Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+----- Forum: Sun Belt Smack Talk (/forum-309.html)
+----- Thread: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt (/thread-987178.html)

Pages: 1 2

Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Big12HoopsHeaven - 02-25-2024 01:07 AM

Southern Miss used to be the best non-BCS program in college football. I remember the Eagles playing teams like Utah, TCU, Louisville, etc, and holding their own. All of those teams are now in the P4, and Southern Miss is now in the Sunbelt.

So, I'm wondering how that happened. "The Rock" was one of the most intimidating places to play. It seemed like the CUSA of old was supporting Southern Miss as its FB Flagship. Yet, Houston (B12), Louisville (BE & ACC), TCU (B12), SMU (ACC), UCF (B12), Cincinnati (BE & B12) all went to BCS/P4 Conferences and USM ended up in the SBC.

Nothing against the Sunbelt. It's just that Eagles fans probably never imagined they would one day share a conference with App, Coastal, GSU, USA, ULM, etc. Again, those are all fine teams in their own right - and Southern Miss isn't even close to being the FB Flagship in this Sunbelt, like it was in the CUSA.

It seems like a major shift for Southern Miss fans. The word "Humbling" can have both a positive and negative connotation and I'm sure both can apply to USM in this new conference arrangement.

I'd just like to hear from some Southern Miss fans. Are you humbled to be in the Sunbelt? I've always admired your program from afar and it seems like you just went a different direction from your old conference mates.

By the way... This is the Southern Miss of old.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Unknownghost - 02-25-2024 02:42 AM

(02-25-2024 01:07 AM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  Southern Miss used to be the best non-BCS program in college football. I remember the Eagles playing teams like Utah, TCU, Louisville, etc, and holding their own. All of those teams are now in the P4, and Southern Miss is now in the Sunbelt.

So, I'm wondering how that happened. "The Rock" was one of the most intimidating places to play. It seemed like the CUSA of old was supporting Southern Miss as its FB Flagship. Yet, Houston (B12), Louisville (BE & ACC), TCU (B12), SMU (ACC), UCF (B12), Cincinnati (BE & B12) all went to BCS/P4 Conferences and USM ended up in the SBC.

Nothing against the Sunbelt. It's just that Eagles fans probably never imagined they would one day share a conference with App, Coastal, GSU, USA, ULM, etc. Again, those are all fine teams in their own right - and Southern Miss isn't even close to being the FB Flagship in this Sunbelt, like it was in the CUSA.

It seems like a major shift for Southern Miss fans. The word "Humbling" can have both a positive and negative connotation and I'm sure both can apply to USM in this new conference arrangement.

I'd just like to hear from some Southern Miss fans. Are you humbled to be in the Sunbelt? I've always admired your program from afar and it seems like you just went a different direction from your old conference mates.

Stop wasting people’s time, you rep the conference of sloppy seconds that NOBODY ELSE wanted. Some island of misfit toys there.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - sdcritter - 02-25-2024 07:22 AM

Probably the worst passive/aggressive post I've ever seen from another conference poster. Go home. You're drunk.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - ODUi - 02-25-2024 08:09 AM

Nice try 03-lmfao

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Yosef181 - 02-25-2024 08:24 AM

(02-25-2024 01:07 AM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  Nothing against the Sunbelt. It's just that Eagles fans probably never imagined they would one day share a conference with App, Coastal, GSU, USA, ULM, etc. Again, those are all fine teams in their own right - and Southern Miss isn't even close to being the FB Flagship in this Sunbelt, like it was in the CUSA.

It must've sucked when you found out Southern Miss is the 13th best football team (out of 14) in the Sun Belt 05-stirthepot

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Luckyshot - 02-25-2024 08:57 AM

I'll assume the post is serious and answer it. When the Big East (and the AAC they became) started poaching C-USA programs, they went for big market programs with potential. (TCU went to their natural fit MWC rather than the AAC.) These were a mix of the better programs of C-USA (Louisville, Cincinnati, etc.) and programs that had nothing going for them at all, other than location. We were left with programs we had no history with and the obvious stigma pf being left behind.

All of that pales in comparison to the impact of hiring Ellis (ELoss) Johnson. We'd just completed a 12-2 season and won C-USA (over a previously undefeated and #6 ranked Houston who was about to leave C-USA) and lost our coach of 4 years to UNC. We'd previously had Bower for a decade and a half aand our Admin panicked over a coach leaving so quickly and tried to find another Bower who would stay the long haul. They instead found a coach ready to retire, who hired other coaches ready to retire and who treated College Football coaching as a M-F 9-5 job. He also hired a real estate agent who had been out of the S&C conditioning field for over a decade as our Strength and Conditioning Coach. We went 0-12 and fired him. Worst flip from wins to losses in NCAA history. Having previously never had back-to-back losing seasons in our history, we thought Monken (current Ravens OC) would immediately turn us around, but too much damage was done. In his third year he got us back to winning and we won C-USA West (losing to WKU in the C-USA Champ Game), but then he left for a NFL OC job one week before NSD and we looked for a cheap HC and got Hopson. Besides the coaching issues we went through, C-USA continued to get weaker and the Conference Office was an absolute joke. With less media money that we'd had in the modern era and less fans caring about our opponents we lost a lot of fans.

The Sun Belt? They got much better at winning football games and reputation and had a go-getter at Conference Commissioner. We had been humbled and now realized we weren't going to be allowed to move up, so we were glad to be in a conference where most of the schools are working hard to be their best and like being in the Sun Belt. We have a mini-SEC with schools all around us, so we work with grads/fans of those schools and can enjoy the rivalries. The other division has name G5 schools like App and Marshall. We're not going to a P4 conference so we are working to make the SB the best it can be.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Oldyeller - 02-25-2024 09:13 AM

Ask yourself why the descent. Southern Miss would do well to recognize why they’re in the Sun Belt a conference with programs that are ascending and glad to be here. Learn from what’s being done right.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - HarborPointe - 02-25-2024 09:17 AM

Let me see if I can find my reply to the last troll who asked this and I’ll get back to you with the link if & when I do.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - GEAGLESJAG - 02-25-2024 10:34 AM

(02-25-2024 10:13 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(02-25-2024 01:07 AM)Big12HoopsHeaven Wrote:  Southern Miss used to be the best non-BCS program in college football. I remember the Eagles playing teams like Utah, TCU, Louisville, etc, and holding their own. All of those teams are now in the P4, and Southern Miss is now in the Sunbelt.

Oh Brother Eagle, who art in Pain …. .. perhaps my initial response to your soul crushing query was too, let us say “harsh.”

So, I dropped to my knees, and I began to pray…. aahhhh prayed, and I prayed, and I prayed to our Lord, our Savior Jeeee sus. Jeeee sus, says I, brother Eagle is in Paaaa in. Brother Eagle is a hurtin’ Brother Eagle is Brooo ken. Jeeee sus, won’t cha look down upon us and show us the way? The way to hep poor broke Eagle.

And, and, and, then it come to me, from outta the blue, like a thunder bolt: The Lord Jeee sus spoke to ME. Told ME what aaahhhh needs to convey to you ….

Jeeee sus said, Tell Eagle to go into a semi-dark room, “Not Dark?” asks I.
“Semi-Dark Dummy.” sayth the Lord …. Then, then, mix up a large pitcher of margaritas, put Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days” on a Loop, and slip that pitcher of Rita’s right on down your gullet.

By the time you get them Rita’s down, you won’t be no better, but you won’t care none neither.

Here endth the Word.

Thanks be to Gawd.

So sayet he who hath no positive football to remember.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - chiefsfan - 02-25-2024 10:54 AM

Southern Miss fans will tell you some sob story about getting passed over time and time again and making a terrible head coaching hire in Ellis Johnson, losing his eventual replacement right before NSD to the NFL and then going cheap with a SWAC coach in response. They'll throw in how terribly CUSA was run, how they had no identity with the remaining schools, media money dried up, and the best way to grow was to bring fans back, and that encompassed joining the Sun Belt West schools who were all nearby and many alums worked together fostering rivalries that could help grow the program back to being proud.

But they leave out the real reason they joined.

MIND CONTROL. Secretly below our Superdome offices is a mind control machine that was the invention of Keith Gill to control the minds of all university fans and administrators to make them think that our conference is absolutely amazing and yearn to join it FOREVER. When powered to its fullest the machine can cause delirium, so its best used in low doses. Without this machine no one would ever join our terrible hapless league of has beens and never wills.

So there, now you know!

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - OsageJ - 02-25-2024 10:59 AM

Chief I am gonna worry if you ever show up with 4 extra appendages wearing funky looking glasses looking for a kid who got bit by a spider!!

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Bobcat87 - 02-25-2024 11:17 AM

(02-25-2024 10:34 AM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  

Oh Brother Eagle, who art in Pain …. .. perhaps my initial response to your soul crushing query was too, let us say “harsh.”

So, I dropped to my knees, and I began to pray…. aahhhh prayed, and I prayed, and I prayed to our Lord, our Savior Jeeee sus. Jeeee sus, says I, brother Eagle is in Paaaa in. Brother Eagle is a hurtin’ Brother Eagle is Brooo ken. Jeeee sus, won’t cha look down upon us and show us the way? The way to hep poor broke Eagle.

And, and, and, then it come to me, from outta the blue, like a thunder bolt: The Lord Jeee sus spoke to ME. Told ME what aaahhhh needs to convey to you ….

“Semi-Dark Dummy.” sayth the Lord …. Then, then, mix up a large pitcher of margaritas, put Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days” on a Loop, and slip that pitcher of Rita’s right on down your gullet.

By the time you get them Rita’s down, you won’t be no better, but you won’t care none neither.

Here endth the Word.

Thanks be to Gawd.

uuhhh actually we do, but you gotta go way, way, baaaack to find it. 03-lmfao

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - ragin4u - 02-25-2024 11:20 AM

[quote='Big12HoopsHeaven' pid='19481561' dateline='1708841269']
Southern Miss used to be the best non-BCS program in college football. I remember the Eagles playing teams like Utah, TCU, Louisville, etc, and holding their own. All of those teams are now in the P4, and Southern Miss is now in the Sunbelt.

[Image: bait.gif]

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - GEAGLESJAG - 02-25-2024 01:08 PM

(02-25-2024 11:17 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(02-25-2024 10:34 AM)GEAGLESJAG Wrote:  

Here endth the Word.

Thanks be to Gawd.

uuhhh actually we do, but you gotta go way, way, baaaack to find it. 03-lmfao

I forgot about Pee Wee league, sorry.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - mturn017 - 02-25-2024 01:18 PM

Here endth the Word.

Thanks be to Gawd.

Damn 87, a BIG12 troll comes by asking trolly questions and you take the bait and a dump on USM? At least be funny if you want to pile on but it seems you were thinking this was coming from an Eagles fan.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - HarborPointe - 02-25-2024 01:24 PM

Following up on my previous post…

The past decade of doldrums on the field has been self-inflicted with poor coaching hires, in turn caused by an institutional insistence on looking for the next guy who’ll be the face of the program for 20 years when no such person exists in today’s climate.

As for the off-field aspects and being in the current Sun Belt, I actually found a more succinct take I’d authored in a thread that was about Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF heading to the XII as our plans to join the SBC were in motion:

I said it on the CUSA board when the rumors first started flying: We’re going back to our roots. Southern Miss football as we know it was born in the Gulf States Conference (we took 3 of its first 4 championships). We then went football independent to fry bigger fish and did fine for ourselves for decades, but that became untenable so we became leaders in founding CUSA, which somewhat ironically immediately accentuated just how strange some of the bedfellows we’d made for other sports were. As a Deep South, college town, football school, we just didn’t share a lot of the same priorities as our urban, basketball-first mates. We were out of place, but at least we had history with most of the football-playing side, and the benefits outweighed the negatives.

Then came the changes. Round by round, starting in the early 2000s, we lost even the schools with whom we shared a past, and eventually, CUSA’s just a jigsaw puzzle of schools with nowhere else to go. Now we’re still out of place, but without even the roots of past relationships and not much at all in the way of incentive to sustain it.

So in the immortal words of Eric Cartman seen in my sig, “Screw you guys, we’re going home,” back among schools just like us in places just like ours and with athletic priorities like ours. We have come full circle.

Some folks poo-poo joining the SBC as a concession of our failure to make the “big time.” Hell, maybe it is. But I’ve never been as concerned with where we are on a scale as I am with just being the best Southern Miss we can be. And there is zero doubt in my mind that the SBC is the place that gives us the best shot at that.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - JTApps1 - 02-25-2024 02:46 PM

Probably the same way BigXII members feel after watching A&M, Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma leave them behind.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - HarborPointe - 02-25-2024 08:18 PM

(02-25-2024 02:46 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  Probably the same way BigXII members feel after watching A&M, Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma leave them behind.

For real. People ask this of us as if we’re the only school who’s lost friends along the way and nothing’s changed in the past 20+ years. Go ask Oklahoma State if they ever thought they’d be in a conference with Cincinnati. Ask ECU & Memphis if they ever imagined sharing a conference with their own Sun Belt programs from the 2010s. While you’re at it, ask Oregon St. & Wazzu their thoughts on sharing a conference with only each other after the entire Pac 12 upped and left them.

There were far worse outcomes for us than landing in a cohesive league of true peers that, unlike most, is ascending.

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - Bobcat87 - 02-25-2024 11:24 PM

(02-25-2024 01:18 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Here endth the Word.

Thanks be to Gawd.

Damn 87, a BIG12 troll comes by asking trolly questions and you take the bait and a dump on USM? At least be funny if you want to pile on but it seems you were thinking this was coming from an Eagles fan.

OOOOOOPPS. 04-jawdrop

RE: Opinions from Southern Miss fans on the Sunbelt - gdunn - 02-26-2024 11:15 AM

(02-25-2024 11:24 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(02-25-2024 01:18 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Here endth the Word.

Thanks be to Gawd.

OOOOOOPPS. 04-jawdrop
It's aight.. I ignored your post like I ignored his drivel. Punk. 03-lmfao