CSNbbs
Languishing Trophies - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Languishing Trophies (/thread-971254.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 06-06-2023 10:56 PM

Here's a link to a photo inventory of the trophies that were packed away about the time that the Tudor/Youngkin renovation began, and the boxes were moved from place to place over the years.
The last place was a storeroom next to the bar in the R-Room.
With the R-Room's interior about to be gutted for renovation in the fourth week of May, I moved pretty much everything of value still in the R-Room (after the Hall of Fame items, trophies on display, and the coaches tables were packed carefully away) to the old visitors' locker room (temporarily), until the items can find new homes.
The new home for the boxes of trophies has yet to be determined.

These are not art photos.
It's a working inventory.
I did the best I could with the materials at hand - the lockers and boxes as backdrops, and a piece of black velvet that I found in a tub full of tablecloths. My iPhoneSE (2nd gen) is the camera. There's a bit of Photoshop too, but not much.

Some of them weren't completely unwrapped - just enough to see what the item was.

I've labeled them best I could - the trophies are fairly easy, but the photos of basketball players took some digging and I'd appreciate corrections if I got any wrong.
The filenames on the photos should appear if you mouse over them.
I haven't checked what it looks like to a visitor viewing it on a phone screen.

What I've posted as of tonight (6 June) is about half of the boxes (four of eight).
Reading the labels, typing them out, copying them to the image names - it's a bit tedious.
This much took over four hours.

I'll get the rest posted eventually.
[Gnote: complete]

Example:
The Billy Wohn Award for Most Valuable Basketball Player.
Names are from 1956 to 2005 (Michael Harris).
There's room on the plaque for 24 more years, which means it could be current if it wasn't in a box, and if they still present that award.

(The MOB isn't any better at this - the Black Fedora award given to the outstanding bandsman has a plaque like this, and the names on it are nothing close to up to date.)

[Image: basketball_billywohnawardmvp_5130.jpg?w=789]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 06-07-2023 08:50 AM

(06-06-2023 10:56 PM)Grungy Wrote:  Here's a link to a photo inventory of the trophies that were packed away about the time that the Tudor/Youngkin renovation began, and the boxes were moved from place to place over the years.

Box inventory is now complete.

The inventory only has items that were packed in boxes.
There are a variety of wall hangings, and I've posted collages of the Hall of Fame banners/posters already in a separate thread.

Two trophies that are much the worse for wear that weren't in the boxes - a shattered Texas Border Relays trophies whose pieces are in a tub, and a purported duplicate of the 1938 Sanford Cotton Bowl trophy, with bent figures, figures that have fallen off, and at least a couple of missing parts.

Two curiosities from the boxes -
This was found in what was otherwise volleyball items.
Is that a real or made-up bird splat?

[Image: baseball_batting_helmet_with_bird_splat_...jpg?w=1024]

Found with tennis stuff...
Jerry Outlaw (who received his award pin from 1967 recently) writes
"My grandfather had a similar Spalding racket which he told me he obtained around 1910. He tried to have it restrung in the sixties and it wound up looking just like this one. Perhaps this belonged to one of the first Rice tennis players?"

[Image: tennis_warped_spalding_racket_5262-5267.jpg?w=888]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Fort Bend Owl - 06-07-2023 09:10 AM

There is so much extra, unused space on the second floor of Tudor. They really should set up a Rice/SWC Museum there and pay Grungy to be its curator.

RE: Languishing Trophies - loki_the_bubba - 06-07-2023 09:13 AM

(06-07-2023 09:10 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  There is so much extra, unused space on the second floor of Tudor. They really should set up a Rice/SWC Museum there and pay Grungy to be its curator.

I second this motion.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 06-07-2023 09:21 AM

(06-07-2023 09:13 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(06-07-2023 09:10 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  There is so much extra, unused space on the second floor of Tudor. They really should set up a Rice/SWC Museum there and pay Grungy to be its curator.

I second this motion.

I'm not interested in the job, but I'm curious about the unused space.
Where is this unused space?
I've explored the nooks and crannies of Tudor, and everything appeared to be in use.
(And there's an intramural trophy case in a hallway on the second floor that only kinesiology students and the Methodist sports performance people ever see.)

RE: Languishing Trophies - Fort Bend Owl - 06-07-2023 09:36 AM

Get rid of the second floor concession stands and some of the second floor bathrooms on the east side of Tudor. They’re never used, and at least on the east side, you have those available on the first floor. West side, I see the need for them to remain because the first floor underneath is locker rooms.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-07-2023 09:43 AM

The problem is that anything you do do to Tudor/Autry is earrings on a pig.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 06-23-2023 08:53 AM

Trophies delivered:

Men's Basketball - two dish barrels of trophies delivered to Scott Pera.
He said he would go through them for things to keep.
I asked to get back the things that he doesn't want - to either give to one of the players or offer to the Owl Club for a future "Night of Flight" auction.

[Image: rroombasketballtrophies.png?w=1024]

Volleyball - one dish barrel of trophies went into their storeroom.
Genny took the multi-year plaques, with names of recipients of an ongoing award, with her.
She also took the photo collages that the ladies assembled of the 2004-or-so season.

[Image: volleyballkeepers.png?w=777]

Men's Track & Field - Jon Warren took two 1969 Texas Relays 1st place trophies, for the 440 and the mile.
He would ordinarily only keep team championship trophies (there's just no space for individual race trophies), but his predecessor was a member of one of those relay teams.
[BTW - I have the mural that's in the background of this photo.
Don't know what I'll do with it, but I have it.]

[Image: texasrelaystrophies.jpg?w=768]

Tudor Phase I orbs - four delivered to the Owl Club office.
Leaving it up to them to contact the donors with their names engraved on the boxes the orbs are packaged in - Gee, Hermance, Liu, and Miner.
The only person that I've shown these to that has seen one before is Julie Griswold.

[Image: tudoryoungkinorbbase_4977.jpg?w=912]

2002 time capsule - intramural trophy case, 2nd floor of gym, in a back hallway that used to provide access to the bleachers over the pool.
There's a sticker near the top center that says not to clean it out, but the contact info has faded during the last two decades.
My band cabinet key was the right blank, but it didn't turn the lock.

[Image: 2002intramuraltrophycase.jpg?w=768]

Awaiting disposition - a few Columbia Lakes Invitational trophies for golf, two dish barrels of men's tennis trophies, and a dish barrel of men's and women's swimming trophies.

Does anyone want the bench from the R-Room restroom? 03-lmfao

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-03-2023 01:47 PM

Jordan Stephens

Brian McDevitt found the award hiding somewhere and asked if I could assist with delivery.
Alan Shelby (RUBPA) had contact info.
Hand -delivery was cheaper than mailing.

[Image: img_5707.jpg?w=768]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-03-2023 08:27 PM

Charles Preuss, with his portion of the old R-Room mural

[Image: img_5711.jpg?w=1548]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-05-2023 07:51 PM

Any clue why this was in the R-Room?

Second Annual
P. A. U.
Jimmy Demaret
Invitational

[Image: jimmydemarettrophy_5728.jpg?w=531]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-05-2023 07:56 PM

Another mystery, found in storage under the R-Room

Cannot find anything about it

1995 Fiesta Frolic
Presented by USAir

It would appear to have involved tennis

[Image: 1995fiestafrolicusair_5791.jpg?w=1024]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-05-2023 07:57 PM

It appears that I somehow "closed" this thread to comments at some point, by mistake.
That's been fixed.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-05-2023 08:03 PM

The only question about this one is "where did the figure at the top go?"

Oldsmobile Spartan Classic
Tournament Champions

Men's basketball
We won both games, and the tournament - 12/29 and 12/30/95

[Image: oldsmobileclassicchampions1995_5730.jpg?w=495]

RE: Languishing Trophies - Almadenmike - 07-06-2023 02:45 AM

(07-05-2023 07:51 PM)Grungy Wrote:  Any clue why this was in the R-Room?

Second Annual
P. A. U.
Jimmy Demaret
Invitational

[Image: jimmydemarettrophy_5728.jpg?w=531]

According to the Nov. 20 & Nov. 24, 1974, editions of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times (https://www.newspapers.com/image/757166588 & https://www.newspapers.com/image/757170050) and the Nov. 24, 1974, edition of the Valley Morning Star (https://www.newspapers.com/image/41519783) ... Pan American University (PAU) hosted the 2nd Annual Jimmy Demaret Invitational golf tournament on Nov. 21-23, 1974, at the Rancho Viejo course in Brownsville.

Rice finished 3rd in the college team competition with 958 strokes (behind PAU/939 & U. New Mexico/947) ... and Rice's Rob Ladd ( 04-cheers ) finished 3rd in the college individual leaderboard (229), behind PAU's Smith/221 & Angelo State's Murdell/227.

I did not find any articles about this tournament in the Thresher archives.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-06-2023 08:41 AM

(07-06-2023 02:45 AM)Almadenmike Wrote:  According to the Nov. 20 & Nov. 24, 1974, editions of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times (https://www.newspapers.com/image/757166588 & https://www.newspapers.com/image/757170050) and the Nov. 24, 1974, edition of the Valley Morning Star (https://www.newspapers.com/image/41519783) ... Pan American University (PAU) hosted the 2nd Annual Jimmy Demaret Invitational golf tournament on Nov. 21-23, 1974, at the Rancho Viejo course in Brownsville.

Rice finished 3rd in the college team competition with 958 strokes (behind PAU/939 & U. New Mexico/947) ... and Rice's Rob Ladd ( 04-cheers ) finished 3rd in the college individual leaderboard (229), behind PAU's Smith/221 & Angelo State's Murdell/227.

I did not find any articles about this tournament in the Thresher archives.

Thanks for your mad search skilz, and your subscription to newspapers.com (I'm not paying).

This trophy was sitting next to a dumpster.
Damaged, no ties to Rice, no provenance, and 3rd place (and that's not on the trophy - only found thru your search).
I can see not finding space for it in the grand scheme of things.
I wonder if Rob Ladd would like to have it?
He may already have his, and his might even have more info.

In my best HAL-9000 voice - "Just a moment. Just a moment"
The same Robert T. Ladd who is currently the chairman of the board at Rice?
Unglaublich...
He was a freshling when he played in that tournament.

How often has the Thresher reported on the golf team?

While searching the Thresher archives for this and Charles Preuss' hurdle photo used in the sepia mural, I saw that there were quite a few six-page Threshers that had no photos at all in the late Sixties.
It makes me curious what was up with such a tiny paper, but not curious enough to dig into it.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Owl 69/70/75 - 07-06-2023 08:57 AM

(07-06-2023 08:41 AM)Grungy Wrote:  In my best HAL-9000 voice - "Just a moment. Just a moment"
Unglaublich...

Yep, the same.

I had lunch with Rob yesterday. Do you want me to ask him if he would like it?

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-06-2023 10:08 AM

(07-06-2023 08:57 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-06-2023 08:41 AM)Grungy Wrote:  In my best HAL-9000 voice - "Just a moment. Just a moment"
Unglaublich...

Yep, the same.

I had lunch with Rob yesterday. Do you want me to ask him if he would like it?

Yes, please.
He really ought to already have an individual award.
It's worth checking.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Owl 69/70/75 - 07-06-2023 06:36 PM

(07-06-2023 10:08 AM)Grungy Wrote:  
(07-06-2023 08:57 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
Unglaublich...
Yep, the same.
I had lunch with Rob yesterday (I was his math tutor when he was a freshman golfer). Do you want me to ask him if he would like it?
Yes, please.
He really ought to already have an individual award.
It's worth checking.

Sent email, will let you know what he says.

RE: Languishing Trophies - Grungy - 07-12-2023 12:44 AM

Chad Richardson and Andy Beard in the spirit lines before the 6 September 1997 game with Air Force.
Attendance: 53,145

This is one of the framed photos, awards, and plaques that were left in boxes or stacked on a chair in CrustyLand (the left garage storeroom under the R-Room).
I'll post a link to the full inventory of items later.
The crowd in this one just deserved to be posted now.

[Image: chadrichardson_andybeard_airforce_1997_8...jpg?w=1024]