CSNbbs
Will Memphis get to move up? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Will Memphis get to move up? (/thread-970453.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - Once a Knight... - 05-27-2023 12:47 AM

(05-26-2023 10:43 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Without a new stadium, Memphis is on the outside looking in.
Fortunately the Liberty Bowl is getting a massive renovation in the neighborhood of the cost of building USF's new stadium.

Sent from my LM-G820 using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - ChrisLords - 05-27-2023 01:09 AM

In pretty much every scenario I've ever come up with, Memphis gets in the M League. Whether that's 1, 2 or 3 leagues.

With 3 Leagues of 24 teams they get in. It comes down to Temple or Memphis and the M league may already have a Pennsylvania team in the League and a network.

With a P2 and an M2, with SEC and B1G with 24 the B12 and ACC at 12 or more, Memphis gets in the ACC. With SEC and B1G with 20 and the ACC and B12 at 16, Memphis will get in either the ACC or B12.

Don't worry Memphis fans, a better conference will be coming soon (13 years or less).

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bill dazzle - 05-27-2023 11:40 AM

(05-27-2023 01:09 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  In pretty much every scenario I've ever come up with, Memphis gets in the M League. Whether that's 1, 2 or 3 leagues.

With 3 Leagues of 24 teams they get in. It comes down to Temple or Memphis and the M league may already have a Pennsylvania team in the League and a network.

With a P2 and an M2, with SEC and B1G with 24 the B12 and ACC at 12 or more, Memphis gets in the ACC. With SEC and B1G with 20 and the ACC and B12 at 16, Memphis will get in either the ACC or B12.

Don't worry Memphis fans, a better conference will be coming soon (13 years or less).

I hope you are proved correct, C-Lords. And I also hope the chance for the UofM comes soon, as I want my 92-year-old father (one of this great nation's oldest Memphis Tiger fans) to experience the excitement of his alma mater's power league membership before he leaves this Earth for that "big Liberty Bowl in the Blue and Gray sky."

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - GreenFreakUAB - 05-27-2023 12:20 PM

(05-26-2023 11:36 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(05-25-2023 09:10 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-25-2023 06:39 PM)roll tide/wave Wrote:  
(05-20-2023 09:45 AM)tigergatorcyclone Wrote:  What are the realistic chances Memphis makes the Big XII with UCONN or the ACC as backfill if FSU and Clemson depart?

PROS
- Carnegie R1 research designation
- New President and Provost and academic momentum
- $350 million for Liberty Bowl and FedEx Forum renovations for Football and Basketball
- New Olympic Sports master plan for upgraded facilities
- Smack dab in SEC territory (9 schools within 6 hour radius)

CONS
- Academic perception and enrollment

- Might be too late
- Football attendance struggles

Thoughts?

Memphis is not going anywhere. You have nothing to offer but a crime ridden city

That's a bit harsh. Were you accosted in Memphis? Is there crime in New Orleans? Anywho, I'd take Memphis in the B12 over Tulane every day and twice on Sunday.

Thanks for the support of Memphis.

It's unfortunate to sometimes see on this board posters (in this case, Roll Tide/Wave) trash cities, universities and/or college athletics programs. Such behavior is juvenile and petty.

...crime unfortunately is rough in a lot of spots... The 'Ham is a 'frequent flyer' on the '48 Hours' show, unfortunately (my mom informs me about it - I'm not big on the 'true crime' shows myself) - but I WILL note that the Birmingham TV stations newscasts more or less have daily segments for 'Crimes Today in Tuscaloosa' which sometimes outlast the 'Ham crime segments... so... sad but true, y'all...03-phew

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - eltigre - 05-27-2023 12:38 PM

(05-27-2023 12:20 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(05-20-2023 09:45 AM)tigergatorcyclone Wrote:  What are the realistic chances Memphis makes the Big XII with UCONN or the ACC as backfill if FSU and Clemson depart?

PROS
- $350 million for Liberty Bowl and FedEx Forum renovations for Football and Basketball

CONS

- Might be too late

Thoughts?

Memphis is not going anywhere. You have nothing to offer but a crime ridden city

That's a bit harsh. Were you accosted in Memphis? Is there crime in New Orleans? Anywho, I'd take Memphis in the B12 over Tulane every day and twice on Sunday.

It's unfortunate to sometimes see on this board posters (in this case, Roll Tide/Wave) trash cities, universities and/or college athletics programs. Such behavior is juvenile and petty.

...crime unfortunately is rough in a lot of spots... The 'Ham is a 'frequent flyer' on the '48 Hours' show, unfortunately (my mom informs me about it - I'm not big on the 'true crime' shows myself) - but I WILL note that the Birmingham TV stations newscasts more or less have daily segments for 'Crimes Today in Tuscaloosa' which sometimes outlast the 'Ham crime segments... so... sad but true, y'all...03-phew

My daughter is a JR at Bama. Believe me, T-town is NOT a safe town. Much of the campus crime is swept under the rug by the U of A. One of her friends was raped on campus and the school has done all they can to keep it quiet. A kid OD'd in one of the dorms and same approach - hide it. Small town / big city does not matter. Crime is everywhere but the public image that many carry can be some powerful Kool-Aid.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bryanw1995 - 05-27-2023 12:39 PM

(05-27-2023 01:09 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  In pretty much every scenario I've ever come up with, Memphis gets in the M League. Whether that's 1, 2 or 3 leagues.

The fear for schools like Memphis is not moving up but rather a contraction of the upper tiers. A P2 with 20 each and Conference 3 with another 20 consigns the #61-80 schools to Conference 4. Or st, BC, WF, WSU, Memphis, Boise, SDSU, Tulane, UTSA, USF, some other M3 refugees that depend on where the Center of it resides. Irving? More ACC and Pac schools. Raleigh? More big 12 and Pac schools. It would be good content and good money, but a big drop off from the C3, probably 1/2 or 1/3 of the revenues overall.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - C2__ - 05-27-2023 12:40 PM

(05-20-2023 08:28 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Memphis would definitely get my support. They just missed the most recent call-up cut. Their football program was clicking on all cylinders under Fuentes [departed for VaTech] and Norvell [FSU]. They can be great again in a better conference with a better head coach. Hoops? Very consistently good with a great overall history. Again, put them in a better conference...geographically they are a bridge between the eastern and western B12 schools. What did Ace Ventura say about fit? Like a guh-love!

That would be "Like a glove-uhh."

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - GreenFreakUAB - 05-27-2023 12:41 PM

(05-20-2023 07:58 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  Memphis and USF should be the next two in the B12, if P12/ACC defections are off the table. After that I'm not sure who the next two B12 additions would be. Maybe Fresno St and UNLV or something, or stay at 14 for the time being with just Memphis and USF until things further play out.

Memphis and also USF are likely top backfill candidates for a partially depleted ACC.

Sent from my LM-G820 using CSNbbs mobile app

...with that, a 'bridge' will be needed between the two, which would be solved with the addition of UAB... but hey, we are just giddy to be ANYwhere at this point, y'all... 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

...AAAND, if the BigXII is involved, I STILL think that they would LOVE to plant their conference flag at our stadium, which is LITERALLY across the street from SEC HQ... 05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - ken d - 05-27-2023 01:49 PM

I'm guessing that there are five G5 schools with an outside chance of finding a home in the top group of conferences (however many that may be). Those would be IMO SDSU, Boise State, Memphis, South Florida and UConn. I have run countless scenarios of what might happen "if". At least one of those include Memphis, but it will take some powerful horse trading and the support of both ESPN and FOX.

Here's how I could see things going down.

The Big Ten starts the ball rolling by adding OU, UW, Stanford and Cal bringing them to 20 teams including six on the west coast and leaving the PAC at 6 members.

The Big 12 scoops up Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado because they are now both desperate and available.

Now ESPN makes a major move, breaking the ACC GoR logjam (that's going to take a lot of negotiating, but it can be done). They persuade the Big 12 to give up four members: Kansas, Cincinnati, West Virginia and UCF in exchange for bringing that conference into a joint venture with the ACC Network.

Of those four schools, they move the last three B12 adds to the ACC along with West Virginia, and move Kansas to the SEC. The SEC then adds 7 ACC schools: Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia, Duke, NC State and Virginia Tech, bringing them to 24 members, which they place in three 8 team divisions. The easternmost division consists of the 7 ACC schools and South Carolina.

Now at 11 members each, the Big 12 adds either Boise State or San Diego State while the ACC adds Memphis State to bring them both to 12.

The ACC Network (rebranded with the joint venture) has lost the states of South Carolina, Virginia and most of North Carolina (they still have Wake Forest). But they gained Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Utah, Arizona and Colorado. That's not a bad trade.

The new Big 12 and the new ACC each get a guaranteed first round host spot in the 16 team CFP for their champions.

Will all that be hard to pull off? You betcha. But it does get Memphis into the P4. Tough luck for Washington State and Oregon State, because neither the B1G nor the B12 really want them on their team. But as they say, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - Porcine - 05-27-2023 05:17 PM

(05-26-2023 07:12 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 05:15 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 11:36 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Thanks for the support of Memphis.

No problem Bill. I can't speak for all Bearcats fans obviously, but many of us have an affinity for Memphis due to our long history together throughout various conferences and a rivalry mostly built on hoops. Outside of Louisville, I can't think of any other past school that I would like to keep playing than the Tigers. If they were to get in the B12 at some point then that would be gravy!
04-cheers

Thanks for responding, UCGrad1992. If you haven't seen my previous posts, ... my parents attended the University of Memphis; my brother, the University of Cincinnati; my brother's wife, the University of Louisville. Our family cheers for all three schools. It would be wonderful to see the three schools aligned in the Big 12.

04-cheers
IF there is just one M conference, then all the old rivalries, like the Metro, can get back together.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bill dazzle - 05-27-2023 05:27 PM

(05-27-2023 12:20 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  

PROS

CONS

- Might be too late

Thoughts?

I like the Ham. A fine city. Underrated. Good People Beer ... quality.

Crime is everywhere. These stats are compiled by the FBI (not sure how accurate but I would think reasonably so). Notice New York City is not in the top 10 for cities located in the Northeast. Nashville is No. 4 for cities located in the South. Having been back in Nashville for 30 years as of this July, I can say we have some "big city crime issues."

https://www.gov1.com/public-safety/articles/the-fbis-10-most-dangerous-cities-by-region-b8bvKm2v4rP8Zynz/

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bill dazzle - 05-27-2023 05:28 PM

(05-27-2023 05:17 PM)Porcine Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 07:12 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 05:15 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 11:36 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Thanks for the support of Memphis.

No problem Bill. I can't speak for all Bearcats fans obviously, but many of us have an affinity for Memphis due to our long history together throughout various conferences and a rivalry mostly built on hoops. Outside of Louisville, I can't think of any other past school that I would like to keep playing than the Tigers. If they were to get in the B12 at some point then that would be gravy!
04-cheers

Thanks for responding, UCGrad1992. If you haven't seen my previous posts, ... my parents attended the University of Memphis; my brother, the University of Cincinnati; my brother's wife, the University of Louisville. Our family cheers for all three schools. It would be wonderful to see the three schools aligned in the Big 12.

04-cheers
IF there is just one M conference, then all the old rivalries, like the Metro, can get back together.

That would be strong.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - MemTigers1998 - 05-27-2023 05:31 PM

PROS

CONS

- Might be too late

Thoughts?

True about the crime, but at least none of our players killed someone

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - uconnwhaler - 05-27-2023 06:19 PM

(05-21-2023 02:59 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(05-21-2023 02:36 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(05-21-2023 01:49 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(05-21-2023 11:06 AM)Acres Wrote:  The big12 is projected to be 30 million dollars behind its SEC counterparts per school. Why would big12 presidents agree to dig themselves into deeper financial hole by adding schools that are more dilutive to the new contract. Let’s make sense here.

Secondly ESPN has a prorata clause for P5 schools additions only. Where will the conference obtain revenue to add more G5 schools. Espn has said they are not paying for adding G5 schools to the league

Thirdly, big12 presidents have historically said no to expansion with G5 schools. Their hands were forced in this go around because they absolutely needed to, to survive. Now that they have a contract, why would they decide to be further diluted.

There is a constant dribble planted by detractors that want big12 need to add more G5 schools. The narrative is that doing so weakens it’s perception relative to other 3 conferences. Too bad, it’s not going to work. The conference, is more strategically placed, going forward relative to other 3 , financially with contracts with espn and fox.

Either pac12 schools or no expansion.

It's the power of Yormark.

He can sell ice to eskimos.

He has the Big XII feeling their oats right now because they -- get this -- beat out the PAC12.

And when he strikes out on nabbing ANY PAC schools, and when he realizes that the ACC is off the table til at least 2030 ....

He'll convince those presidents that - in order to remain stable - they need to add those 4 schools.

Fresno State -- gets them Cali.
Boise State -- gets them some football cred
Memphis -- shoulda already been in
USF -- another toe in the 3rd biggest state in the country

Then he'll bounce to some other sports project ...

07-coffee3

I think UConn, Memphis, UNLV, and SDSU make much more sense than the schools you listed. South Florida is redundant, Boise State is yesterday’s news and a low ceiling (sorry, David). Now Fresno State makes sense is SDSU is off the table.

Yeah ... SDSU and SMU will be PAC members. I didn't put it in that post above, but have elsewhere. This helps stabilize the PAC.

And in my opinion, UConn stays put. The Big XII will kick the tires, and will notice all that debt UConn is carrying. UConn can save face by sticking with the reasoning they used to put them where they are ... and it's resulted in a hoops title, and stability there. UConn fans will be okay with this. They can dig out of their debt, rather than take on more by complying with any Big XII demands.

So ... minus those two ...

AND taking into consideration that Yormark has made no secret of his desire for a coast to coast conference foot print ... I settle on those 4 ...

Fresno (get them Cali and Pacific time zone)
Boise (football cred and attractive match ups with BYU and Fresno for TV)
Memphis (an obvious add with commitment to facilities already being shown)
USF (to pair with UCF, and add another Eastern time zone partner with WVU and Cincy)

South Florida also gets you Tampa, where Central Florida gets you Orlando. Planting flags in 2 of the bigger markets in the third largest state in the country isn't a bad thing ...

And besides ... Yormark can sell anything.

07-coffee3

This board is so full of crap about UConn. Please, do tell what demand the BigXII could impose that we wouldn’t meet. We would be near the head of the BigXII in about every metric if we were added today.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - UCGrad1992 - 05-27-2023 06:29 PM

(05-27-2023 05:28 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(05-27-2023 05:17 PM)Porcine Wrote:  IF there is just one M conference, then all the old rivalries, like the Metro, can get back together.

That would be strong.

The Metro. Remember this composition for hoops?

Charter Members
Georgia Tech [1975-1979]
St. Louis [1975-1982]
Cincinnati [1975-1991]
Memphis State [1975-1991]
Louisville [1975-1995]
Tulane [1975-1995]

Later Members
Florida State [1976-1991]
Virginia Tech [1979-1995]
Southern Miss [1982-1995]
South Carolina [1983-1991]
Charlotte [1991-1995]
South Florida [1991-1995]
VCU [1991-1995]

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bill dazzle - 05-27-2023 06:35 PM

(05-27-2023 06:29 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-27-2023 05:28 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(05-27-2023 05:17 PM)Porcine Wrote:  IF there is just one M conference, then all the old rivalries, like the Metro, can get back together.

That would be strong.

The Metro. Remember this composition for hoops?

Charter Members
Georgia Tech [1975-1979]
St. Louis [1975-1982]
Cincinnati [1975-1991]
Memphis State [1975-1991]
Louisville [1975-1995]
Tulane [1975-1995]

Later Members
Florida State [1976-1991]
Virginia Tech [1979-1995]
Southern Miss [1982-1995]
South Carolina [1983-1991]
Charlotte [1991-1995]
South Florida [1991-1995]
VCU [1991-1995]

I remember it quite well. Watched a lot of Metro games in the 1970s and 1980s. A strong league, indeed.

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - OhioBoilermaker - 05-29-2023 10:23 PM

(05-27-2023 05:27 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I like the Ham. A fine city. Underrated. Good People Beer ... quality.

Dazzle, what are your top 5 underrated (American) cities?

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - Tiger1983 - 05-30-2023 07:05 AM

The Daily Memphian published a clear-eyed 5/30/23 column about the likelihood of Memphis receiving a Big 12 call up,. In sum, it is possible but unlikely due to a chain of events which must occur without any break in the chain.

Namely: the PAC 12 and AAC must hold together, SD St and SMU must go to the PAC 12, UConn declines, and Memphis beats out other schools like UNLV.

Rationally, the odds look slim.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/sportsmemphis-tigers-football/article/36400/tim-buckley-university-of-memphis-tigers-big-12-conference

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bill dazzle - 05-30-2023 09:09 AM

(05-29-2023 10:23 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  
(05-27-2023 05:27 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  I like the Ham. A fine city. Underrated. Good People Beer ... quality.

Dazzle, what are your top 5 underrated (American) cities?

A great question, O-Maker. Obviously, this is very subjective (particularly how we define "underrated") and many would disagree with me. I'm struggling to limit to five.

The most underrated cities I've visited (listed in alphabetical order):

Asheville
Buffalo
Chattanooga
Cincinnati
Kansas City (Missouri)
Pittsburgh
Portland (Maine)

Most underrated cities I've not visited but have read lots of positive things about (listed in alphabetical order):

Ann Arbor (Michigan)
Boise
Grand Rapids (Michigan)
Madison (Wisconsin)
Richmond
Salt Lake City

RE: Will Memphis get to move up? - bill dazzle - 05-30-2023 09:11 AM

(05-30-2023 07:05 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The Daily Memphian published a clear-eyed 5/30/23 column about the likelihood of Memphis receiving a Big 12 call up,. In sum, it is possible but unlikely due to a chain of events which must occur without any break in the chain.

Namely: the PAC 12 and AAC must hold together, SD St and SMU must go to the PAC 12, UConn declines, and Memphis beats out other schools like UNLV.

Rationally, the odds look slim.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/sportsmemphis-tigers-football/article/36400/tim-buckley-university-of-memphis-tigers-big-12-conference

No doubt. Everything will need to fall into place for Memphis to get the Big 12 invite. Not impossible. But not particularly likely.