CSNbbs
Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 (/thread-969924.html)

Pages: 1 2

Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - ThreeifbyLightning - 05-10-2023 02:01 PM

https://thecomeback.com/college-football/group-of-5-american-commissioner-power-5.html

Oh to be part of a league that actually strives for something and doesn't have its head up its ass. I'm happy for the former members who were able to be fortunate enough to find themselves in a position of invite to the AAC.

And equally - no more - disappointed at the clowns that run my own school that botched conference realignment for the second time in a ten-year span.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - TOPSTRAIGHT - 05-10-2023 05:10 PM

Good luck with that "strong message" doing any good.

News today--BIGTEN is going to do away with the requirement of their schools to play at least one P5 school as one of their four OC games.

So much for that "break away" by "P5" talk we hear sometimes. That is baloney.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - MinerInWisconsin - 05-10-2023 06:04 PM

(05-10-2023 05:10 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Good luck with that "strong message" doing any good.

News today--BIGTEN is going to do away with the requirement of their schools to play at least one P5 school as one of their four OC games.

So much for that "break away" by "P5" talk we hear sometimes. That is baloney.

Well it's important to have 7 or 8 home games per season. What a crock.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - Side.Show.Joe - 05-10-2023 08:10 PM

(05-10-2023 02:01 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  https://thecomeback.com/college-football/group-of-5-american-commissioner-power-5.html

Oh to be part of a league that actually strives for something and doesn't have its head up its ass. I'm happy for the former members who were able to be fortunate enough to find themselves in a position of invite to the AAC.

And equally - no more - disappointed at the clowns that run my own school that botched conference realignment for the second time in a ten-year span.

Here is a decent interview where Aresco addresses his concerns with the continued use of the term "P5". I like this guy. He is certainly not Judy.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - Hilltop75 - 05-10-2023 11:10 PM

This is the same crap we have been dealing with for years
This Power 5. They always have to have a way to devalue the rest:
It’s Group of 5, it’s Mid Major, it’s Upstart. On and on.
What really gets me when I hear broadcasters giving Stats that only include the Power 5. He is the leading passer of the power 5 etc.

We are all D1 FBS Football no more and no less

Good for the Commish of the AAC in this case.

They not only get the most TV money and have the largest stadiums which gives them the most revenue. They have to also put down and categorize those beneath them.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - eku05 - 05-11-2023 08:10 AM

Quote:We are all D1 FBS Football no more and no less

Do you really believe that? And is this all that different than when those of us in FCS get upset about being called "D2" or or when people use "Division I" to mean only FBS? I'd argue those things are worse because you're not even being clear about what you actually mean when you say it. At least they are giving the disclaimer than only the P5 is being included in the stat they're showing you.

I get what you're saying, but the level of competition is obviously higher in the P5. While there are rare exceptions, a lot of times the guys that post the bigger numbers in G5 games would see their stats diminish a little (or a lot) if they were playing in a P5 conference. This is true for some positions more than others, but it's not an unreasonably distinction to draw.

Take EKU QB Parker McKinney who is returning for what is essentially a 6th season in Richmond. He had P5 programs reach out to him this offseason, and he's already got a degree. Why didn't he jump? Maybe he's just uncommonly loyal, but I suspect at least some of it has to do with the fact that he's about to post some crazy passing numbers this season if he stays healthy. He'll leave as the EKU leader in nearly every passing category. If he transferred to a P5 would he be able to do that? Maybe. Maybe not. Defenses are a lot smarter at that level. They make you pay for imperfection more often.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - KAjunRaider - 05-11-2023 08:23 AM

(05-11-2023 08:10 AM)eku05 Wrote:  

Do you really believe that? And is this all that different than when those of us in FCS get upset about being called "D2" or or when people use "Division I" to mean only FBS? I'd argue those things are worse because you're not even being clear about what you actually mean when you say it. At least they are giving the disclaimer than only the P5 is being included in the stat they're showing you.

I get what you're saying, but the level of competition is obviously higher in the P5. While there are rare exceptions, a lot of times the guys that post the bigger numbers in G5 games would see their stats diminish a little (or a lot) if they were playing in a P5 conference. This is true for some positions more than others, but it's not an unreasonably distinction to draw.

Take EKU QB Parker McKinney who is returning for what is essentially a 6th season in Richmond. He had P5 programs reach out to him this offseason, and he's already got a degree. Why didn't he jump? Maybe he's just uncommonly loyal, but I suspect at least some of it has to do with the fact that he's about to post some crazy passing numbers this season if he stays healthy. He'll leave as the EKU leader in nearly every passing category. If he transferred to a P5 would he be able to do that? Maybe. Maybe not. Defenses are a lot smarter at that level. They make you pay for imperfection more often.

Or maybe he rides the pine as a backup

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - ghostofclt! - 05-11-2023 10:09 AM

clt says the "p5" isn't real, like birds

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - KAjunRaider - 05-11-2023 10:41 AM

I have seen MT's administration use the term "Power Five" many many times.

I cringe each time.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - Ourland - 05-11-2023 02:31 PM

Every FBS school plays for the same national championship, no matter that school's size or conference affiliation. The narrative should reflect that in every way. If sports channels dropped the P5/G5 moniker, and gave all of us equal publicity, you'd see some of the P5-G5 gap close.

Propping up the power conferences is in the best interest of TV executives, who want their broadcast lineup to look far superior. They're fooling viewers into believing that only the largest conferences matter.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - ghostofclt! - 05-11-2023 03:25 PM

clt says tulane has a better shot at the national championship than vanderbilt

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - AlwaysSunny - 05-12-2023 11:02 AM

(05-11-2023 02:31 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

Every FBS school plays for the same national championship, no matter that school's size or conference affiliation. The narrative should reflect that in every way. If sports channels dropped the P5/G5 moniker, and gave all of us equal publicity, you'd see some of the P5-G5 gap close.

Propping up the power conferences is in the best interest of TV executives, who want their broadcast lineup to look far superior. They're fooling viewers into believing that only the largest conferences matter.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - Grandgreen - 05-12-2023 01:35 PM

P5 is a term that originally denoted teams in conferences that contended for a high level set of bowl games , that should be meaningless at this point.

However, what we have is the teams in the top tier conferences using p5 and g5 as terms that mean p5 (the top level) d5 (everyone else)

I can understand that motivation, but I am at a loss why the old designated g5 athletic officials and hired announcers use those terms.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - FAU Connoisseur! - 05-14-2023 07:46 PM

(05-11-2023 10:09 AM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt says the "p5" isn't real, like birds

Birds never made sense to me.

Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - owl at the moon - 05-15-2023 06:14 AM

(05-14-2023 07:46 PM)FAU Connoisseur! Wrote:  
(05-11-2023 10:09 AM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt says the "p5" isn't real, like birds

Birds never made sense to me.

Birds are just dinosaurs with better wings

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - olliebaba - 05-16-2023 11:16 AM

Just call the "P5" what they are, the cartel. A cartel is one who wants to maintain prices at a high level and restrict competition. That's them alright.

If people started calling them that in print and orally it might catch on. They have no shame.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - BlueRaiderBoy - 05-16-2023 11:50 AM

(05-16-2023 11:16 AM)olliebaba Wrote:  Just call the "P5" what they are, the cartel. A cartel is one who wants to maintain prices at a high level and restrict competition. That's them alright.

If people started calling them that in print and orally it might catch on. They have no shame.

Exactly!!! I have been calling them the Cartel or Cartel-5 for many years, many times on this site. Never referred to that group of conferences as the Power 5 and never will.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - KAjunRaider - 05-16-2023 02:30 PM

Schools like ut-obnlxiousville get every possible advantage.

Someone in government once told me, from the get-go, ObKnoxiousville has received 50% of TN higher education tax dollars, while the rest of every state school divided the other 50%. Not sure if this is still the case, but would not be surprised, if so.

We certainly were not all created equal.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-17-2023 04:12 PM

It's nice to have an actual commissioner instead of a cadaver.

RE: Group of 5 commissioner sends strong message to Power 5 - MTPiKapp - 05-18-2023 10:55 AM

This will be as effective as the P6 helmet stickers, maybe somehow less so.

Interesting turn though, from claiming you were part of the club just a few short years ago.