CSNbbs
Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? (/thread-966030.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - HERD1 - 02-26-2023 01:44 PM

Both Men's & Women's basketball had great seasons. Is going from 7-26 to 25-6 the biggest turnaround in college basketball??

Currently 18th in Baseball.

Came in 3rd in the West in Football (need improvement here, like winning the West, this fall to seal the deal IMO - still though...winning record and bowl win last season).

Congrats guys...you all have been through a lot the last few years.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - goldeneagle21 - 02-26-2023 02:01 PM

For the SB to have the strongest identity possible USM needs to be strong. I’ll leave it at that. We have work to do in football.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - KickItToScotty - 02-26-2023 02:01 PM

Check the Bubas Cup standings for your answer 05-stirthepot03-nutkick

But yeah seriously the Southern Miss Dead Weight Eagles definitely have a lot to be excited about right now. I expect their football will continue to improve and hope it does. They're one of a handful with serious potential in both basketball tournaments, and obviously their baseball is extremely impressive. I'm really jealous in that regard, I hope JMU is able to nail our next baseball hire.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - High Country Student - 02-26-2023 02:16 PM

So I think it depends on if you’re speaking on a an annual basis, an overall basis, and are you taking into account that some universities have more programs than others.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - HarborPointe - 02-26-2023 02:50 PM

We’re in a good place and hopefully will continue trending upward, but I wouldn’t go that far. Until football is in the mix for a division title and basketball proves it can compete consistently and didn’t just win a 1-time portal lottery, we’re just having a pretty good year.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Oldyeller - 02-26-2023 03:01 PM

You'll have to knock off a top 10 in football finish at least second in conference and win a baseball naty to begin that process.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - stinkfist - 02-26-2023 03:07 PM

no … however, it’s been one helluva an opening act!

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Eagleyed - 02-26-2023 03:09 PM

In what stat? Just this year? Marshall is doing well in the big sports this year too. But, one year is not indicative of a trend even if I wish it was. One of the things I like about the Sun Belt is there are 6 or so teams I think could have continued big success in the Sun Belt. And some others that aren't too far behind.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - mturn017 - 02-26-2023 03:30 PM

They're having one hell of an inaugural season in the Sun Belt and they should be pleased.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Saint3333 - 02-26-2023 03:50 PM

New scenery helps sometimes. Finding a cultural fit doesn't hurt either.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - warhawk09 - 02-26-2023 04:11 PM

(02-26-2023 02:01 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Check the Bubas Cup standings for your answer 05-stirthepot03-nutkick

But yeah seriously the Southern Miss Dead Weight Eagles definitely have a lot to be excited about right now. I expect their football will continue to improve and hope it does. They're one of a handful with serious potential in both basketball tournaments, and obviously their baseball is extremely impressive. I'm really jealous in that regard, I hope JMU is able to nail our next baseball hire.

Bubas Cup is flawed and needs revamped.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - KickItToScotty - 02-26-2023 04:23 PM

(02-26-2023 04:11 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(02-26-2023 02:01 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Check the Bubas Cup standings for your answer 05-stirthepot03-nutkick

Sure probably, but with JMU lacking some men's sports it hasn't exactly been advantageous to JMU and we're still on top. Southern Miss and Marshall both being mentioned here while JMU finished ahead of both in football, got the #1 seed in WBB, was right up there in MBB, and stronger in some other sports. We're pretty much just lacking in baseball right now. I was halfway joking, but in all seriousness I don't see how you can leave JMU out of the conversation.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Big Buds - 02-26-2023 04:41 PM

No

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Saint3333 - 02-26-2023 04:55 PM

The great thing about the conference is you’d be hard pressed to claim anyone is the premier brand of the SBC.

When one team starts to dominate others have stepped up their game to compete.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - JoeJag - 02-26-2023 05:18 PM

(02-26-2023 01:44 PM)HERD1 Wrote:  Both Men's & Women's basketball had great seasons. Is going from 7-26 to 25-6 the biggest turnaround in college basketball??

Currently 18th in Baseball.

Came in 3rd in the West in Football (need improvement here, like winning the West, this fall to seal the deal IMO - still though...winning record and bowl win last season).

Congrats guys...you all have been through a lot the last few years.

Possibly in a few years it could happen. Not at present. I would say it’s a toss up between Troy and Louisiana.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - bcp_jmu - 02-26-2023 05:21 PM

People may really get behind this notion, and the scoring method... especially if a newbie hangs on to win this ...

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - Noodles - 02-26-2023 07:19 PM

Our baseball program is very strong. Our current squad not so much. This will be a down year if this weekend tells us anything.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - lcitsh - 02-26-2023 08:08 PM

There is a measuring device that determines the overall best athletic program in the conference (Bubas Cup). You can look at it two ways, 1. consistency over time or 2. current champion. Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State dominated it from 2000 until they left in 2014. South Alabama has won 5 of the 8 since then and Texas State is the defending champion. Take your pick, one of these should be considered the best overall program until someone proves otherwise.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - lcitsh - 02-26-2023 08:11 PM

There are some of us who have made recommendations to our athletic directors for improvements in the Bubas Cup computing. Some of those recommendations have been utilized. Join the club.

RE: Is Southern Miss the premier athletic program in the Sunbelt? - sdcritter - 02-26-2023 08:20 PM

Yeah, but we still own track. And bowling. Now if we could just get a water skiing team together...