CSNbbs
Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight (/thread-963688.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - bighuskiefan - 01-18-2023 10:33 PM

For those who weren't there or did not watch on TV, there was a roof leak at the Women's basketball game tonight, postponing the game by about 5 minutes or so. Seriously NIU?!?! This is embarrassing!!

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - CollegeMan33 - 01-18-2023 10:54 PM

So the roof was not fixed from a few years ago when a mens game was canceled and womens game was started in main arena then because of roof leak moved to victor e court. If it rains during a game or the snow melts during a game it may get canceled!

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - GeorgeBorkFan - 01-18-2023 11:08 PM

There has been a tarp up in the rafters over roughly the north hoop. I'm guessing that is where the issue was?

This is embarrassing.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - CollegeMan33 - 01-18-2023 11:30 PM

It’s not embarrassing It’s dangerous!

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - bighuskiefan - 01-18-2023 11:44 PM

(01-18-2023 11:08 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  There has been a tarp up in the rafters over roughly the north hoop. I'm guessing that is where the issue was?

This is embarrassing.

If you were sitting behind the team benches, it was slightly to the left of the Jumbotron, so just about yeah.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - pvk75 - 01-19-2023 01:41 AM

(01-18-2023 10:54 PM)CollegeMan33 Wrote:  So the roof was not fixed from a few years ago when a mens game was canceled and womens game was started in main arena then because of roof leak moved to victor e court. If it rains during a game or the snow melts during a game it may get canceled!

Without an actual report with details, it's hard to guess whether when they patched that original leak, they also did a thorough roof "exam" and found nothing else, or if that repair was a one-off just to get it fixed and they stopped with that.

I sincerely hope that in duck tape-and-bailing wire budget mode, our vaunted university leadership did not cross fingers and hope for the best. I have heard reports that there is a ton of "deferred maintenance" around campus.

I also do not know if the Convo has even been re-roofed. It opened in 2002, so is going on 21 years old. If construction was typical (I don't recall watching it go up, much), construction was put under roof as soon as practical, so the roof is probably 1-2 years older.

A re-roof on a domed span is a big, costly job. And leaks can damage roof structure as well. They need the facility as vacant as possible for any major work. NIU cannot operate from leak to leak with a facility that houses five athletic programs, graduations and other events.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Milwaukee Pilot - 01-19-2023 07:48 AM

(01-19-2023 01:41 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 10:54 PM)CollegeMan33 Wrote:  So the roof was not fixed from a few years ago when a mens game was canceled and womens game was started in main arena then because of roof leak moved to victor e court. If it rains during a game or the snow melts during a game it may get canceled!

Without an actual report with details, it's hard to guess whether when they patched that original leak, they also did a thorough roof "exam" and found nothing else, or if that repair was a one-off just to get it fixed and they stopped with that.

I sincerely hope that in duck tape-and-bailing wire budget mode, our vaunted university leadership did not cross fingers and hope for the best. I have heard reports that there is a ton of "deferred maintenance" around campus.

I also do not know if the Convo has even been re-roofed. It opened in 2002, so is going on 21 years old. If construction was typical (I don't recall watching it go up, much), construction was put under roof as soon as practical, so the roof is probably 1-2 years older.

A re-roof on a domed span is a big, costly job. And leaks can damage roof structure as well. They need the facility as vacant as possible for any major work. NIU cannot operate from leak to leak with a facility that houses five athletic programs, graduations and other events.

This leak was on the other side of the court from the one a couple years back. There was only a minute and a half left and once resumed they had staffers running out on the court during clock stoppages to check with towels and wipe where needed.

From a team that has yearly had a player blow out a knee on dry courts it presented a very dangerous, stupid situation. I completely agree with CollegeMan.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Dog Fan - 01-19-2023 08:08 AM

Once and for all, NIU better fix this and fix it fast. The cost of a proper roof repair will be less than the legal suits. They also better check for damage to the roof structure. This can be very serious stuff.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Milwaukee Pilot - 01-19-2023 08:17 AM

(01-19-2023 08:08 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Once and for all, NIU better fix this and fix it fast. The cost of a proper roof repair will be less than the legal suits. They also better check for damage to the roof structure. This can be very serious stuff.

The fact that there is a tarp up top makes it clearly evident that they understand it is a problem.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Schaefer Beer - 01-19-2023 09:08 AM

I heard that the Flex Seal that they bought from the TV commercials failed.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - NIUfilmmaker - 01-19-2023 09:10 AM

All of the goofy crap they waste money on at NIU and other universities and no $ left to fix a leaky roof, go figure.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Dog Fan - 01-19-2023 09:27 AM

(01-19-2023 09:08 AM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  I heard that the Flex Seal that they bought from the TV commercials failed.

Oh no!!! I heard they fixed the urinal trough with the same stuff!

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - sportsfan - 01-19-2023 09:29 AM

(01-18-2023 11:08 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  There has been a tarp up in the rafters over roughly the north hoop. I'm guessing that is where the issue was?

This is embarrassing.

Baskets are at the East and west ends, not north and south.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - GeorgeBorkFan - 01-19-2023 09:36 AM

(01-19-2023 09:29 AM)sportsfan Wrote:  

This is embarrassing.

You are correct. It would be the west end, in front of the NIU bench.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Milwaukee Pilot - 01-19-2023 11:09 AM

(01-19-2023 09:29 AM)sportsfan Wrote:  

This is embarrassing.

So you are saying when the hole gets big enough in the roof they will need to turn the court to north/south so the setting sun isn't in one team's eyes as they are shooting, right?

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - NIUfilmmaker - 01-19-2023 01:37 PM

Not sure what this program costs, but maybe this funding for starters would be better off in the rainy-day roofing fund... or maybe the hours burned on this program better spent on recruiting new students or landing research funds (or a finding quality Defensive Coordinator or AD).

https://www.foxnews.com/media/northern-illinois-university-host-faculty-training-sessions-white-fatigue-decolonization

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Big Red - 01-19-2023 01:46 PM

(01-19-2023 01:37 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Not sure what this program costs, but maybe this funding for starters would be better off in the rainy-day roofing fund... or maybe the hours burned on this program better spent on recruiting new students or landing research funds (or a finding quality Defensive Coordinator or AD).

https://www.foxnews.com/media/northern-illinois-university-host-faculty-training-sessions-white-fatigue-decolonization

They probably get federal money to host something like this.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - Dog Fan - 01-19-2023 01:53 PM

(01-19-2023 01:37 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Not sure what this program costs, but maybe this funding for starters would be better off in the rainy-day roofing fund... or maybe the hours burned on this program better spent on recruiting new students or landing research funds (or a finding quality Defensive Coordinator or AD).

The world of academia has gone completely berserk.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - HuskieJ - 01-19-2023 02:03 PM

(01-19-2023 01:46 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

They probably get federal money to host something like this.
I don't really care about the funding. It is the content that has stopped my NIU donations going on 3 years now. Sad how far the University has fallen.

RE: Roof Leak at WBB Game Tonight - CollegeMan33 - 01-19-2023 02:05 PM

Years ago it was leaking on the north east side of the court so is this a different area and if so is this building safe