CSNbbs
Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… (/thread-962056.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - esayem - 12-21-2022 08:38 AM

…he’s not in the portal

Maye Offered $5 Million

Thanks to our resident mouthpiece, Coach Narduzzi.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - MattBrownEP - 12-21-2022 08:59 AM

There's no way this is true lol

and I am so sick of coaches complaining about this stuff, but then being unwilling to name names

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - ken d - 12-21-2022 09:08 AM

How, exactly, would Narduzzi have actual information about this unless he were involved himself? Is he saying he was outbid?

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - ken d - 12-21-2022 09:16 AM

(12-21-2022 08:59 AM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  There's no way this is true lol

and I am so sick of coaches complaining about this stuff, but then being unwilling to name names

If what Brown says is true - that you can't prove any of this - wouldn't a coach who named names be subject to being sued for libel?

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - NDSUguy - 12-21-2022 09:29 AM

(12-21-2022 08:38 AM)esayem Wrote:  …he’s not in the portal

Maye Offered $5 Million

Thanks to our resident mouthpiece, Coach Narduzzi.

playing devil's advocate... Maybe he didn't want to be in the portal until he had an offer that he was interested in taking. It's a pretty big leap to go to the portal without a firm landing spot.

Each year there are hundreds of portal athletes who don't find that new home that they are looking for.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - LeeNobody - 12-21-2022 09:44 AM

What a non story. Player offered compensation in line with his value. This is America. Thats called the free market. What people are advocating is holding players to commitments that their student peers are not held to. Imagine if UNC said that students could not transfer to another school to study, or that they had to take a year off of school if they did. Both are building skills for their future employment, so why is there a different standard! People need to grow up.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - ccd494 - 12-21-2022 09:50 AM

(12-21-2022 09:16 AM)ken d Wrote:  

If what Brown says is true - that you can't prove any of this - wouldn't a coach who named names be subject to being sued for libel?

College football coaches are definitely public figures. The standard for libel against a public figure is actual malice. The "libelled" coach would have to prove that the person making the statement knew that it WASN'T true, not just demonstrate that they didn't have proof it was true.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - TerryD - 12-21-2022 09:56 AM

Narduzzi is a loud mouthed *******. He has signed transfer QB's out of the portal two years in a row now.

That was okay and swell, but if its someone else, its "tampering".

He always complains about......something. Its in his louse DNA.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - jrj84105 - 12-21-2022 10:17 AM

(12-21-2022 09:44 AM)LeeNobody Wrote:  What a non story. Player offered compensation in line with his value. This is America. Thats called the free market. What people are advocating is holding players to commitments that their student peers are not held to. Imagine if UNC said that students could not transfer to another school to study, or that they had to take a year off of school if they did. Both are building skills for their future employment, so why is there a different standard! People need to grow up.

It’s a game. Every game from a card game to a board game to a sport has an artificial set of rules that dictate gameplay. None of the current professional sports operate on a free market system. ALL OF THEM include specific rules concerning compensation and freedom of movement which are deemed to be essential to maintaining certain aspects of gameplay, foremost among them being some semblance of competitive balance.

If people want to play free market capitalism The Game, we have an EXCEEDINGLY successful game for that called Monopoly.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - Captain Bearcat - 12-21-2022 10:19 AM

(12-21-2022 09:44 AM)LeeNobody Wrote:  What a non story. Player offered compensation in line with his value. This is America. Thats called the free market. What people are advocating is holding players to commitments that their student peers are not held to. Imagine if UNC said that students could not transfer to another school to study, or that they had to take a year off of school if they did. Both are building skills for their future employment, so why is there a different standard! People need to grow up.

No one is stopping athletes from transferring for school.

However if they want to represent the university in intercollegiate athletics, they need to show that they're actually students first.

If they're only attending classes in order to play football, they're doing it for the wrong reason. And the school (and the university) has no business encouraging such behavior.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - Erictelevision - 12-21-2022 10:38 AM

Because society needs the student, NOT the athlete?!

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - Sicembear11 - 12-21-2022 10:46 AM

Because this COLLEGE football. Commitments to universities and academics are supposed to be a part of it. Nobody wanted an NFL lite. Either we work on preserving this unique sport or are we facing the development of a true professional minor league for football. Unfortunately, this is a situation where it can only ever be one or the other. I know which one I prefer.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - BruceMcF - 12-21-2022 10:53 AM

(12-21-2022 10:19 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  ... If they're only attending classes in order to play football, they're doing it for the wrong reason. And the school (and the university) has no business encouraging such behavior.

Seems on the order of 70 years too late to nip that behavior in the bud.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - ArmoredUpKnight - 12-21-2022 11:14 AM

Just normalize it.

This is the future of college football.

Let's just hire agents and form a collective bargaining agreement.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - esayem - 12-21-2022 12:33 PM

(12-21-2022 09:56 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Narduzzi is a loud mouthed *******. He has signed transfer QB's out of the portal two years in a row now.

That was okay and swell, but if its someone else, its "tampering".

He always complains about......something. Its in his louse DNA.

To be fair, Maye is not in the portal but is being approached by agents representing NIL collectives. At least that’s my understanding.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - PeteTheChop - 12-21-2022 12:41 PM

(12-21-2022 08:38 AM)esayem Wrote:  Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer

Let's be honest here: Maye would look really good in orange and green.

If only the Canes could get involved in the pay-for-play game

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - unalions - 12-21-2022 12:47 PM

This is all the NCAA’s fault.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - bryanw1995 - 12-21-2022 12:59 PM

I don't think that Mac Brown is lying. I hated seeing him on the opposing sidelines for so many years, but there's no reason at all for him to bring it up if he wasn't told that it happened. Is it possible the kid lied to Mac, or that the Agent to Agent conversation was something like "you know, Jimbo could really use a good QB down in College Station and he's got $5m in NIL money just sitting there unused", with no actual "offer"? Of course. Yeah, that's how they (we I guess) do it now. That's still an offer, and it's 100% tampering. But as kids can wake up one day and transfer without any reason whatsoever, how could you ever prove it? This stuff reminds me of the time when I was in high school and Celina tried to recruit me. None of the coaches talked to me, at least I don't think they were coaches. They were really smooth about it. My drivers ed teacher was a coach at Celina. One day while we were driving, we happened to drive through Celina, we stopped so he could use the restroom, and ran into a couple guys he knew. While he was in the can they got really interested in how happy I was at my current High School. My team wasn't great, we never made the playoffs while I was there, but I was all district 3 years and all Area 2 years. I was a kid and completely oblivious to their hints, I told them things were great, we all moved on with our lives. But when I looked back on that as an adult I was like... "aha"! That's how GA Moore got so many talented kids to transfer to Celina and help him win so many titles. Stuff like that's happening now in colleges all over the country, but Agents can offer up millions of dollars instead of "come here and you'll have a better chance to win".

Best way to fix it is to do something to limit transfers: enforceable NIL contracts, reinstitute the "sit out a year" rule for transfers, something. It's insane that kids can make $50k, $500k, $5m in a year then decide to transfer 1/2 way through the season b/c they got benched, and go somewhere else, do the exact same thing, transfer again, etc. And Narduzzi has a bone to pick over that b/c USC stole his top player last year through this exact mechanism.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - bryanw1995 - 12-21-2022 01:05 PM

(12-21-2022 10:17 AM)jrj84105 Wrote:  

It’s a game. Every game from a card game to a board game to a sport has an artificial set of rules that dictate gameplay. None of the current professional sports operate on a free market system. ALL OF THEM include specific rules concerning compensation and freedom of movement which are deemed to be essential to maintaining certain aspects of gameplay, foremost among them being some semblance of competitive balance.

If people want to play free market capitalism The Game, we have an EXCEEDINGLY successful game for that called Monopoly.

This is what I'd like to see. I don't want to have to spend $30m a year to compete with Alabama for NIL paper rockstars, many of whom end up wasting that money on hookers and blow and never play a down for us. Let's set up rules, heck, a salary cap, whatever. When we beat bama, or sam houston state, or anyone else, I'd rather think that it was because we just did a better job with a fair and even playing field. And I'm one of the few who can look at his school and say "we're set up to thrive in this environment". Well, yeah, we are, but it sucks almost as much as complaining about Saban's super efficient bag men getting him all the freaking 5* for a decade. What we have now is a bunch of gangs engaged in a turf war, and the schools with the most money have the biggest guns.

RE: Drake Maye Offered $5 Million To Transfer—One Problem… - ken d - 12-21-2022 01:10 PM

The more I think about the more sense JR's stance on this makes the most sense. Replace scholarships with employment contracts and let the bidding begin.