CSNbbs
Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? (/thread-961701.html)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - CardFan1 - 08-09-2023 07:06 AM

Do the ncaa conference credits stay with each PAC school or with the conference? If with Conference it could be worth millions unless Comcast gets their share first. If the 4 PAC remaining schools are merged as a conference into the ACC, wouldn’t that be a windfall as UCLA, USC, Oregon,Washington all earned a lot of credits

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-09-2023 07:07 AM

SMU is willing to join for practically nothing...or at least not for a while.........

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-considering-smu-in-addition-to-cal-and-stanford-in-expansion-talks-205526422.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9iZWFyaW5zaWRlci5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIbcbrl4dOwaWy1waU6djscHv7Vi6R33FPWU_w98dP4YwKMp2zdIL14KGBf-mlinOrsCTKfzXIaYjTD0Mw1Y-FjxZhoD8BUrkA9c1gSZ4auLJrBHy-WjDWacqkVkKqpVJyxBsmkpM7bZZ6Z5NsUUEn_nTtwlwvrzsfxKRIwKk_Od
"Maybe even more important: The university would arrive at a reduced rate. Employing a rich donor base and a healthy desire to advance to the Power Four level, the university is open to forgoing conference distribution pay for its first several years in a new league. SMU officials held similar conversations with Pac-12 administrators."

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-09-2023 07:13 AM

Speaking of FSU...we're under a week now until 8/15....are they going to take the Pro Rata from SEC, do they have the Christmas Day invite from B10, or are they just barking...

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-09-2023 07:17 AM

(08-09-2023 07:13 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Speaking of FSU...we're under a week now until 8/15....are they going to take the Pro Rata from SEC, do they have the Christmas Day invite from B10, or are they just barking...

Do they actually have an offer from either, or the cash to cover their exit?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 08-09-2023 07:47 AM

Given their recent statements that "it's not a question of IF, but WHEN" Florida State exits the ACC... should the Noles still even have a vote on expansion?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - OrangemanRich - 08-09-2023 07:47 AM

(08-09-2023 07:13 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Speaking of FSU...we're under a week now until 8/15....are they going to take the Pro Rata from SEC, do they have the Christmas Day invite from B10, or are they just barking...

Yesterday, Sankey seemed pretty clear SEC was out:
https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1689027485751463936
And since when has the B10 invited any football school that isn't AAU (& yes, I know Nebraska isn't, but they were when they were admitted to B10).
https://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status
And how much does AAU matter to B10? They let in RUTGERS!
(And maybe B10/Rutgers is something for those to keep in mind who are presently admonishing the ACC for considering SMU.)
Doesn't appear to be (presently) much of a path to either SEC/B10 for FSU/Clemson.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-09-2023 08:04 AM

They pounded their chest awfully loud at that meeting last week....1 or 2 of them on that call did hedge alittle by saying if not 8/15 then starting now through next year this time they'll moving towards announcing their exit.

Yeah is Stankey is being honest with the Pro-Rata, they won't take that...but he's not an honest guy buy any means...

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - CardFan1 - 08-09-2023 08:05 AM

(08-09-2023 07:47 AM)OrangemanRich Wrote:  

And since when has the B10 invited any football school that isn't AAU (& yes, I know Nebraska isn't, but they were when they were admitted to B10).
(And maybe B10/Rutgers is something for those to keep in mind who are presently admonishing the ACC for considering SMU.)
Doesn't appear to be (presently) much of a path to either SEC/B10 for FSU/Clemson.
Funny that everyone says FSU, Miami to the SEC would keep the B1G out of Florida…….. But wait, USF is an AAU school !

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-09-2023 08:48 AM

(08-09-2023 08:05 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(08-09-2023 07:47 AM)OrangemanRich Wrote:  

Funny that everyone says FSU, Miami to the SEC would keep the B1G out of Florida…….. But wait, USF is an AAU school !

Hah, thats true and funny.....USF to B10 announced by Labor Day! Book It!

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-09-2023 08:49 AM

Another thing about FSU....they have the smallest endowment in the conference, including us lowly suburban community schools like UofL.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 08-10-2023 12:05 PM

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is a proponent of adding the Bay Area schools and SMU, and the league initially considered adding up to seven Pac-12 schools last week after Oregon and Washington joined the Big Ten. Arizona, Arizona State and Utah then jumped to the Big 12 before discussions between the Pac-12 schools and the ACC advanced to the stage of actual offers.

https://theathletic.com/4764178/2023/08/09/acc-stanford-cal-realignment-talks/?source=twitterhq

Why did Zona, Utah, and ASU join the B12 before talking to the ACC? How come Phillips didn’t reach them out earlier?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dbacard - 08-10-2023 01:47 PM

If FSU is able to buy their way out, who else has the cash to follow suit?
Damn, really needed that 1.5B MegaMillion win.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 08-10-2023 09:54 PM

How bout if FSU was given the ND partial membership deal? Bring in USF as the replacement and also SMU.

FSU and ND play every team in the ACC twice every 6 years. Wouid that be enough to keep the current ACC contract?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - AeroWolf - 08-10-2023 10:42 PM

(08-10-2023 12:05 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is a proponent of adding the Bay Area schools and SMU, and the league initially considered adding up to seven Pac-12 schools last week after Oregon and Washington joined the Big Ten. Arizona, Arizona State and Utah then jumped to the Big 12 before discussions between the Pac-12 schools and the ACC advanced to the stage of actual offers.

https://theathletic.com/4764178/2023/08/09/acc-stanford-cal-realignment-talks/?source=twitterhq

Why did Zona, Utah, and ASU join the B12 before talking to the ACC? How come Phillips didn’t reach them out earlier?

I think Arizona believes they may make a jump to the BIG/SEC by the end of the Big 12 contract in 6 years. Utah and ASU felt compelled to follow suit to maintain a rivalry grouping.. They probably believed that any deal the ACC offered would have been no different than ESPN's PAC After Dark programming hour, which they were trying to avoid. Plus thinking they would be locked in a long term deal.

However, they may be in for a rude awakening come the next contract period. Yormack got the Big 12 a good contract, and he has maximized it early by picking up the 4c schools. But a big part of why he got that contract was by letting Texas and Oklahoma leave early. The Big 12 may be in for a rude awakening at the next contract. I could see it easily cut by a third to a half.

Fox is filling up on inventory as they grow their jr NFL BIG inventory. And if ESPN and manages their SEC and ACC entities appropriately, then their will be less demand for the Big 12 reducing it's value.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - tj_2009 - 08-11-2023 12:07 AM

(08-08-2023 01:57 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(08-08-2023 01:47 PM)AeroWolf Wrote:  They don't want just more money, they only want BIG Fox money, or the opportunity to leave with no penalty. Expect them to vote no to everyone and anyone.

I hope NC state votes yes. We need to be thinking of maximizing revenue for as long as possible.

UNC a no. UVa, VT, NCSU on the fence.

Translation - UNC/NCSU/VT/UVa will dictate what happens and when.

Now the stage is set to just propose Stanford.

Stanford and Cal is not the same animal as Stanford.
I really hope that the ACC invites Stanford and Cal. In some ways conference re-alignment is like equity investing. The ACC presidents are doing an evaluation of Stanford and Cal and trying to figure out whether they are a good fit or not.
Both Stanford and Cal have great academics. Their sports have been so so recently but not too long ago Stanford's football was quite good.
Stanford is a rich university and so is Cal so the potential for improved football and basketball over their current levels is quite good. I look at getting Stanford and Cal into the ACC when they are both desperate and so it is somewhat a leap of faith that Stanford and Cal can turn around their programs.
I like the odds of this happening and at worst, both Stanford and Cal will be middle of the road to lower end in football and basketball but they both have good potential upside that they both might be able to add value to the ACC at some point in the future.
Hopefully ACC presidents will look at it the way I look at it because this is a potential golden opportunity for the ACC with little downside. Yes, there may be a short term hit to TV revenues but that does not mean that it will always be that way. Both Stanford and Cal have a lot of resources so with some effort on the part of these two schools they probably could turn their athletics around.
I liken this opportunity to something like investing in Apple shares when nobody thought anything about them and their share prices were low. Most equity analysts had low price targets on Apple and that they would get crushed by Microsoft.
It turns out that those who believed in Apple back then (and bought shares) were rewarded for their vision.

You never know that Stanford and Cal might turn out to be a homerun in the future.
The downside to getting Stanford and Cal in the ACC is not that great but there is a huge upside.
Hopefully ACC presidents will think about the long term future of the conference and not just think about short term finances.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - GoWulfPak - 08-11-2023 08:35 AM

(08-10-2023 12:05 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is a proponent of adding the Bay Area schools and SMU, and the league initially considered adding up to seven Pac-12 schools last week after Oregon and Washington joined the Big Ten. Arizona, Arizona State and Utah then jumped to the Big 12 before discussions between the Pac-12 schools and the ACC advanced to the stage of actual offers.

You could make a long list of "why didn't we ____"

Phillips isn't the answer.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 08-11-2023 10:22 AM

I'm guessing Arizona had much deeper talks with the Big XII and they want a Texas presence in a Texas-centric league.

ASU seemed to be tied to Arizona regardless of what their president/AD wanted.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-11-2023 11:49 AM

(08-10-2023 09:54 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  How bout if FSU was given the ND partial membership deal? Bring in USF as the replacement and also SMU.

FSU and ND play every team in the ACC twice every 6 years. Wouid that be enough to keep the current ACC contract?

FSU would still be responsible for the exit fee and the GOR penalties. keep hearing something in the $600 Million range.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 08-11-2023 11:55 AM

(08-11-2023 10:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  

I'm guessing Arizona had much deeper talks with the Big XII and they want a Texas presence in a Texas-centric league.

ASU seemed to be tied to Arizona regardless of what their president/AD wanted.

I also suspect that 4C schools knew the ACC would demand a deep discount. Yormark and the B12 is happy to pay the full price.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - tj_2009 - 08-11-2023 11:13 PM

(08-08-2023 10:37 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  The ACC has never offered a partial share before and I wouldn't expect or want them to do so now.

Stanford, Cal and SMU are fine institutions. Only SMU has any football promise but not every thing is about competitive football.

They add to the ACCN enough to raise everyone's share significantly.

I'd rather just have SMU and Stanford but if FSU leaves, Cal is better academically than all the other options.
I read an article that said Stanford and Cal are being offered at 60% to 70% of a payout until the end of the contract. I think I recall Stanford quite good at football. I looked it up and here it is. They have not been good since 2018, but
there are some 10 win, 11 win and 12 win teams by Stanford. I think a lot of people don't realize how rich Stanford is. Stanford currently has the 4th largest endowment of any university in the country at $36.3 billion in 2022. Stanford has the resources to build good basketball and football programs so I think they might be the gem of the three (Cal and SMU). Notre Dame has the 10th largest endowment at $16.73 billion and Regents of the university of California has the 11th largest endowment at $15.42 billion.

6 2018 Pac-12 9 4 David Shaw (9-4) Sun Bowl (W)
7 2017 Pac-12 9 5 David Shaw (9-5) Alamo Bowl (L)
8 2016 Pac-12 10 3 David Shaw (10-3) Sun Bowl (W)
9 2015 Pac-12 12 2 David Shaw (12-2) Rose Bowl (W)
10 2014 Pac-12 8 5 David Shaw (8-5) Foster Farms Bowl (W)
11 2013 Pac-12 11 3 David Shaw (11-3) Rose Bowl (L)
12 2012 Pac-12 12 2 David Shaw (12-2) Rose Bowl (W)
13 2011 Pac-12 11 2 David Shaw (11-2) Fiesta Bowl (L)