CSNbbs
Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? (/thread-961701.html)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 08-03-2023 10:49 PM

(08-03-2023 10:44 PM)esayem Wrote:  Adding just Cal and Stanford is the most ACC thing possible, therefore I foresee it happening. Who needs FSU’s vote?

Throw the ND at Cal/Stanford games on the ACCN.

I highlighted the main points Teel was told to convey. FSU is out with the only question being how long they are tolerated and how much we will charge them.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - tj_2009 - 08-03-2023 10:52 PM

(08-03-2023 07:26 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(08-02-2023 11:44 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(08-02-2023 11:33 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  
(08-02-2023 11:22 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

Looks like UA and ASU are gone. Yormark would want Oregon for #16. His fallback option would be Utah, SDSU or UConn.

The Pac X would lose the P status. The ACC would become the smallest P legaue with some member(s) actively trying to leave.

So what’s your move, Phillips?
I think the odds are that the ACC does nothing. Some schools like Virginia and North Carolina have no reason to do anything as they are going to be in either the B1G or SEC when the ACC gets raided. Some other schools think they may get picked by either the SEC or B1G (Clemson, FSU, NC State, VT) but there are plenty of reasons why they might get passed over by both the B1G and SEC. The rest of the ACC are likely stuck picking up the pieces or joining the Big XII.

Only morons beg to increase their costs 50% for a 20% bump in income. This is why Clemson is not running its mouth - they are not morons.

Carolina and UVa will not pay to compete for Big Ten or SEC football titles. They have not been “all-in” to be a juggernaut since the SAT rule in my opinion. Carolina has always fielded competitive football teams and scheduled fellow power conference schools, but they will not pay the amount of money necessary to compete with Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan.

You could fit Carolina’s capacity almost twice inside of Penn State and Michigan’s stadium. It would be a disaster to play in those conferences when the ACC offers a route to the playoffs. Virginia must understand the same.
I think Virginia and Carolina probably realize they may not be able to compete in the SEC or B1G but the difference in payouts $70 million vs $40 million (ACC) will help them decide to jump to either the SEC or B1G closer to the end of the grant of rights in 2036.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - tj_2009 - 08-03-2023 11:01 PM

Here is the article about Arizona finalizing their move to the Big XII. I have a feeling that ASU and Utah will probably follow them to the Big XII as there is a shared Regents board between Arizona and Arizona State.
It seems that Washington and Oregon are thinking about jumping to the B1G at a partial share.
That leaves Stanford, California, Oregon State and Washington State still available to the ACC. Not sure what the ACC will do now. Stanford is rich and one of the best universities in the country but I am not sure how good they will be in sports because they have high standards for their athletes (academically).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38130567/sources-arizona-deal-big-12-expected-finalized-soon

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - tj_2009 - 08-03-2023 11:09 PM

(08-03-2023 02:56 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  Why do you think Stanford would ever want to join the ACC? Perhaps Wash State and Oregon State would consider it if their only option was the Mountain West. I think most of these well-known west coast schools would rather be independent especially if FSU and Clemson leave and the TV deal is renegotiated. When the ACC realizes the clarity of the situation it should reach out to UConn, if it is available, and perhaps Tulane. If there is more room see if Army and Navy can join football only.
I think Stanford might be desperate to join a conference so that is why I think the ACC is a possibility. If the B1G and Big XII say no to Stanford then their options are either the Mountain West or ACC (if ACC decides to offer them). I didn't see any articles mentioning Washington State or Oregon State to the B1G or Big XII so they may be desperate.
UConn is a possibility. The thing is that the Grant of Rights for the ACC is until 2036 but taking advantage of the situation in the Pac-12 is probably a good idea to remove a competitor. If there are 4 Power conferences then perhaps the B1G and SEC will decide to let the ACC survive after they take the schools that they want.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-04-2023 05:03 AM

(08-03-2023 10:49 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 10:44 PM)esayem Wrote:  Adding just Cal and Stanford is the most ACC thing possible, therefore I foresee it happening. Who needs FSU’s vote?

Throw the ND at Cal/Stanford games on the ACCN.

I highlighted the main points Teel was told to convey. FSU is out with the only question being how long they are tolerated and how much we will charge them.

Perhaps you should have included the last line of his article too!

"There is no simple fix, and perhaps no way to prevent divorce with Florida State and a nasty fight over the terms."

To me this signals that the ACC is ready, willing, and able to battle this thing out in Court with Florida State and attempt to extract as much out of their pockets as possible. It will be nasty.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-04-2023 06:20 AM

With the B10 offering a majorly discounted 35-40 mil a year to Ore/Wash probably ramping up some each year until next contract to where they'd be made whole. Also heard they can borrow more off that from B10 and pay it back when the yearly payouts for them are larger....

I wonder if there is a window for the ACC to sell the idea of an easier path to the playoffs and be paid full amount in ACC from the start. I believe those first five years or so would be more than what B10 would pay them. Would bring along others from out west with them to give them a pod of teams.

It should at least be a sales pitch from ACC to them after hearing what B10 is proposing to them.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-04-2023 07:01 AM

(08-04-2023 06:20 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  With the B10 offering a majorly discounted 35-40 mil a year to Ore/Wash probably ramping up some each year until next contract to where they'd be made whole. Also heard they can borrow more off that from B10 and pay it back when the yearly payouts for them are larger....

I wonder if there is a window for the ACC to sell the idea of an easier path to the playoffs and be paid full amount in ACC from the start. I believe those first five years or so would be more than what B10 would pay them. Would bring along others from out west with them to give them a pod of teams.

It should at least be a sales pitch from ACC to them after hearing what B10 is proposing to them.

The ACC has tried to placate FSU already and the only thing that Florida State has done is spit in the ACC's face.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-04-2023 07:55 AM

(08-04-2023 07:01 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 06:20 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  With the B10 offering a majorly discounted 35-40 mil a year to Ore/Wash probably ramping up some each year until next contract to where they'd be made whole. Also heard they can borrow more off that from B10 and pay it back when the yearly payouts for them are larger....

The ACC has tried to placate FSU already and the only thing that Florida State has done is spit in the ACC's face.

I'm not trying to placate FSU with that idea...I'm trying to strengthen the conference so we're not the next Big East or Pac12.....add teams, add avenues of tv revenue, lengthen the day of watching on Saturday....this would actually do the opposite of placating them, it would make their path to playoffs even harder...which I'm not sure they're grasping if they jump to B10/SEC...

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - dgrace4cards - 08-04-2023 08:26 AM

Wow, this PAC 12 story has another major twist....all staying together, taking Apple deal, and signing GOR at meeting this morning??? WILD!

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1687453545266638848?s=20

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 08-04-2023 11:33 AM

The realignment Armageddon is finally here.

UO/UW negotiating with the BIG.

The B12 targeting AZ and more.

The Pac fighting for a survival.

FSU is trying to get out.

The ACC is doing something (not sure what?)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 08-04-2023 11:51 AM

OR/UW are gone.

Maybe Esayem was right. How about Cal/Stanford to the ACC then?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-04-2023 12:33 PM

(08-04-2023 11:51 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  OR/UW are gone.

Maybe Esayem was right. How about Cal/Stanford to the ACC then?

Without Washington and Oregon as anchors I'm not sure there is enough value left in the PACx to bother with.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 08-04-2023 01:38 PM

Each ACC school pockets about $5 m more per year by adding Cal, Stanford, Utah, and ASU. The profit is off the ACCN added in states with 52 million people.

It would bring the metros of SF, SLC, LV, LA, SD, and Phoenix into the ACC world. No ACC school would go out there to play a football but once every other year.

There is only one school that I know would vote against them - FSU.
Clemson may or may not vote against them.
Since a vote would be held knowing that eventually FSU needs to be put out of the league, life without them has to be the voting basis, not a vote to placate them.

They could easily get 13 of 15 votes.

ND, Duke, UVa, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, WF, and GT are sure yes votes.
UNC and NC State likely support them. Now you at 11 with Miami, Clemson, VT, and FSU possible no votes.

Something would be developed to deal with Cal but I'm sure the legal brain trust at WF, Duke, UNC, and UVa have something up their sleeve - perhaps something filed in Nevada at Las Vegas (mid point between the four schools) that puts the four in a sub contract situation where they are a legal component unit of the ACC in NC. Keeps California crazy at arms length.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - OrangemanRich - 08-04-2023 02:00 PM

(08-04-2023 01:38 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  Each ACC school pockets about $5 m more per year by adding Cal, Stanford, Utah, and ASU. The profit is off the ACCN added in states with 52 million people.

It would bring the metros of SF, SLC, LV, LA, SD, and Phoenix into the ACC world. No ACC school would go out there to play a football but once every other year.

Since a vote would be held knowing that eventually FSU needs to be put out of the league, life without them has to be the voting basis, not a vote to placate them.

UNC and NC State likely support them. Now you at 11 with Miami, Clemson, VT, and FSU possible no votes.

Something would be developed to deal with Cal but I'm sure the legal brain trust at WF, Duke, UNC, and UVa have something up their sleeve - perhaps something filed in Nevada at Las Vegas (mid point between the four schools) that puts the four in a sub contract situation where they are a legal component unit of the ACC in NC. Keeps California crazy at arms length.

Are those #s better or worse upon swapping in SMU for Cal?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 08-04-2023 03:06 PM

(08-04-2023 02:00 PM)OrangemanRich Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 01:38 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  Each ACC school pockets about $5 m more per year by adding Cal, Stanford, Utah, and ASU. The profit is off the ACCN added in states with 52 million people.

Are those #s better or worse upon swapping in SMU for Cal?

Cal makes us no money. SMU would make us another $3-3.5 million.

It's an easy calculation. ESPN has about 5 million subscribers in Texas. SMU allows them to charge for the ACCN at the in state rate let's say 2 dollars a month. They rake in 60 million and give the ACC 60 million.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 08-04-2023 05:21 PM

At which point does FSU lose voting privileges? Their leadership obviously does not have good intentions.

California rich schools and a Texas rich school. Adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU sets the ACC up to be the best FBS academic conference hands down. Might not be a bad thing all things considered. Tulane works too.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 08-04-2023 10:54 PM

Phillips just loves monitoring and exploring.

A day late and a dollar short.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - ChrisLords - 08-05-2023 03:00 AM

I hope the expansion plans are off.

Now that Oregon and Washington are heading to the B1G and Utah and ArizSt are heading to the Big12, there's no one else I want.

It's not worth the travel to another time zone.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 08-05-2023 07:30 AM

(08-03-2023 10:52 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 07:26 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(08-02-2023 11:44 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(08-02-2023 11:33 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  

Looks like UA and ASU are gone. Yormark would want Oregon for #16. His fallback option would be Utah, SDSU or UConn.

The Pac X would lose the P status. The ACC would become the smallest P legaue with some member(s) actively trying to leave.

I think the odds are that the ACC does nothing. Some schools like Virginia and North Carolina have no reason to do anything as they are going to be in either the B1G or SEC when the ACC gets raided. Some other schools think they may get picked by either the SEC or B1G (Clemson, FSU, NC State, VT) but there are plenty of reasons why they might get passed over by both the B1G and SEC. The rest of the ACC are likely stuck picking up the pieces or joining the Big XII.

Only morons beg to increase their costs 50% for a 20% bump in income. This is why Clemson is not running its mouth - they are not morons.

Carolina and UVa will not pay to compete for Big Ten or SEC football titles. They have not been “all-in” to be a juggernaut since the SAT rule in my opinion. Carolina has always fielded competitive football teams and scheduled fellow power conference schools, but they will not pay the amount of money necessary to compete with Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan.

You could fit Carolina’s capacity almost twice inside of Penn State and Michigan’s stadium. It would be a disaster to play in those conferences when the ACC offers a route to the playoffs. Virginia must understand the same.
I think Virginia and Carolina probably realize they may not be able to compete in the SEC or B1G but the difference in payouts $70 million vs $40 million (ACC) will help them decide to jump to either the SEC or B1G closer to the end of the grant of rights in 2036.

This is just a side note.
While $30 Million is a lot of money, it's just a drop in the bucket compared to $1.4 Billion in research or $4 Billion in an overall annual operating budget.
The University will not change their football emphasis for $30 Million and put the "feel" of the University in jeopardy.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 08-05-2023 11:04 PM

The judgement day came and went. And it is the probably second worst outcome for the ACC (the worst outcome would be Oregon/Washington going to the B12, which had almost zero possibility).

The P-4 (or P2/M2) era would starts soon. The Pac, a peer conference of the ACC, is pretty much dead. The Pac was never a threat to the ACC, because it's far away and less aggressive.

On the other hand, the B12 is a clear threat to the ACC. They got stronger now and some pundits say they surpassed the ACC.

A 16-team Big 12 would close the gap with the ACC -- and possibly put the Big 12 in third place financially behind the Big Ten and SEC. -- Heather Dinich (I never liked her by the way)

It also becomes much harder for the ACC to raid the B12 now. Not only the B12 became stronger, they eye witnessed that a strong conference may die once tent pole programs leave. So now it's a real possibility that the ACC may die in 2036 or even earlier. MHVer3 started an ACC doomsday clock.

What would the ACC do now? I see three options:

1. Do nothing.

This is the most likely and the most dangerous option. Phillips will keep monitoring and exploring (and keep getting paid...)

2. Add Stanford/Cal.

The ACC leadership should entertain this option. While adding just one or two West Coast schools doesn't make much sense (and I'm mad at that the ACC didn't make an offer to ASU and Utah), this is a viable option given the situation.

Personally, I don't like Cal and would support Stanford/SMU pair.

3. Add the B12/G5 schools.

The ideal expansion candidates from the B12 would be TCU/Houston/WVU/Cincy. None of them would move a needle and none of them is academic powerhouse. And never mind that the ACC could have gotten all of them at half share in 2021.

We just saw the B10 added UO and UW. Getting them do not really increase the average payout, but the B10 did it anyway. FSU/Miami/Clemson are probably as good as UO and UW if not better. The B10 is like a big bully and won't mind destroying other conferences. And if the B10 (and/or the SEC) poach 4-6 ACC schools in 2036 or earlier, then the B12 raiding the ACC scenario would become a real possibility. I mean we just saw what happened to the Pac. So I think it's imperative for the ACC to try weaking the B12.

TCU/Houston are probably not an option anymore. The B12 is still a Texas centered conference and they would stay in the B12. Even WVU/Cincy are no longer a sure thing. The ACC may even have to help them financially for the exit fee. But if the ACC pushes hard, I think they would come. For Texas market, SMU is the option. I would also consider UConn. UConn would fit in.

Thus, if the ACC doesn't add any Pac school, then I think the most realistic option for the future is WVU/Cincy/SMU/UConn. USF should/would be added if/when FSU leaves.