CSNbbs
Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? (/thread-961701.html)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Schema - 07-26-2023 05:53 PM

With today's rumors regarding Colorado, you have to think the odds of some PAC schools joining or partnering with the ACC have gone up a tiny bit.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - CatsClaw1 - 07-26-2023 06:05 PM

(07-26-2023 05:53 PM)Schema Wrote:  With today's rumors regarding Colorado, you have to think the odds of some PAC schools joining or partnering with the ACC have gone up a tiny bit.

Whichever ones are left

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 07-26-2023 07:42 PM

(07-26-2023 05:53 PM)Schema Wrote:  With today's rumors regarding Colorado, you have to think the odds of some PAC schools joining or partnering with the ACC have gone up a tiny bit.

I know people on this board really don’t want to add any pac schools for the concern on travel and culture. But the worst thing for the ACC would be losing school(s) to the B12.

In 2021, did anyone expect that the Pac would lose schools to the B12? Now there is a rumor that even schools like Oregon may jump to the B12.

Would the ACC leadership just keep refusing to be proactive and let the B12 add the best Pac schools to become #3 conference? 03-banghead

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - ren.hoek - 07-26-2023 07:52 PM

(07-26-2023 07:42 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

I know people on this board really don’t want to add any pac schools for the concern on travel and culture. But the worst thing for the ACC would be losing school(s) to the B12.

In 2021, did anyone expect that the Pac would lose schools to the B12? Now there is a rumor that even schools like Oregon may jump to the B12.

Would the ACC leadership just keep refusing to be proactive and let the B12 add the best Pac schools to become #3 conference? 03-banghead

Now watch the magnificent 7 go to the Big12 03-drunk

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 07-26-2023 08:34 PM

So the worst performing Pac program leaves and now all of the sudden Oregon is worried? Interesting take.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 07-26-2023 09:30 PM

(07-26-2023 08:34 PM)esayem Wrote:  

So the worst performing Pac program leaves and now all of the sudden Oregon is worried? Interesting take.

It’s hard to believe, isn’t it?

I think Oregon is doing a due diligence given the situation.

Not sure if Oregon is really ready to move but the ACC leadership definitely needs to think strategically. Would you want to have Oregon in the B12 or in the ACC?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 07-26-2023 10:16 PM

ACC needs to grab the top 4 now (Colorado was not one of them!):
- Stanford
- Washington
- Oregon
- Arizona State
Guaranteed pro-rata for T1 rights, plus in-state rates for ACCN.

The remaining Pac-12 schools can still add San Diego St, SMU, Boise St to get back to 8.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Schema - 07-26-2023 11:12 PM

(07-26-2023 10:16 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  ACC needs to grab the top 4 now (Colorado was not one of them!):
- Stanford
- Washington
- Oregon
- Arizona State

The remaining Pac-12 schools can still add San Diego St, SMU, Boise St to get back to 8.

If you don't try to pull this off now, I'm afraid the only options available for future expansion will be G5. This would at least put more money in the pockets of each ACC school while we wait on the 2030s to arrive.

Beyond Washington, Oregon, and Stanford, that fourth school could be Arizona/Arizona State/Utah/SMU. Any of those would be fine with me. If for some reason I can't think of, adding Cal would be necessary to convince any of the top three to join, then fine, Cal could be the fourth.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 07-27-2023 06:43 AM

(07-26-2023 10:16 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  ACC needs to grab the top 4 now (Colorado was not one of them!):
- Stanford
- Washington
- Oregon
- Arizona State

IF the ACC does this I have to think Arizona > Arizona State due to their basketball program. You’re not getting more money for one or the other.

The Big XII offers less years in a GOR than the ACC, and that is to their advantage because Oregon and UW are very vocal about joining the Big Ten like yesterday.

For the ACC, I think you look at Stanford, Arizona, Utah, and SMU. I just don’t see the Big Ten wannabees committing for 13 years.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 07-27-2023 06:50 AM

My aggressive approach:

ACC - Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Utah/SMU

This leads to:

Big XII - Oregon, UW, Arizona State (all of these schools have Big Ten visions and will bolt the moment they can)

In six years the ACC drafts Kansas and Baylor (or TCU) from the Big XII and nails the coffin on their aspirations

Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - curtis0620 - 07-27-2023 08:23 AM

Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona State, Utah and SMU. ACC would be strong #3.

6 new states for ACC network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 07-27-2023 08:44 AM

I know people don't like Cal and the politics they bring, but ACC presidents will take a gander at the available schools:

3 - Stanford (AAU)
20 - Cal (AAU)

55- Washington (AAU)
67 - UConn
72 - SMU
97 - South Florida (AAU) [market duplication]

105 - Arizona (AAU)
105 - Oregon (AAU)
105 - Utah (AAU)

121 - Arizona State (AAU)

151 - Oregon State

212 - Washington State

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 07-27-2023 09:28 AM

Arizona State's physical location in the center of the Phoenix DMA makes it a superior acquisition compared to Arizona. The Phoenix CMSA is 13th in size in the US and the univerisity is twice the size of UA. Their physical proximity to LA, SD, and LV is also a plus. From the standpoint of making money for the ACC I think the pecking order is:

1. Stanford
2. Washington
3. Arizona State
4. Oregon
5. Utah

6. Cal
7. UA

If we can take just four then they can all be each other's three rival group and their other 5-6 games with the rest of us. This means just 2, sometimes three trips to the east for football. With just four schools we can avoid a discrete divisions for football.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - UVA_guy81 - 07-27-2023 09:56 AM

I say lets take Oregon, Washington, Stanford, one of the Arizona schools, Utah (for football and basketball) and SMU and just create a western division of the ACC while we have an opportunity. That'd mean the other Arizona school would probably join the Big XII and I'd assume Cal, Washington St and Oregon St would fold into the Mountain West, killing off the PAC for good.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 07-27-2023 10:43 AM

(07-27-2023 09:56 AM)UVA_guy81 Wrote:  I say lets take Oregon, Washington, Stanford, one of the Arizona schools, Utah (for football and basketball) and SMU and just create a western division of the ACC while we have an opportunity. That'd mean the other Arizona school would probably join the Big XII and I'd assume Cal, Washington St and Oregon St would fold into the Mountain West, killing off the PAC for good.

If the ACC takes just 4 of the remaining 9, the other 5 probably build back with G5 schools.

If the ACC takes 3 from the Pac + one from Texas, the remaining teams almost certainly build back (by adding SDSU and maybe UNLV or Air Force if academics are an issue).

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 07-27-2023 10:46 AM

(07-27-2023 08:44 AM)esayem Wrote:  I know people don't like Cal and the politics they bring, but ACC presidents will take a gander at the available schools:

3 - Stanford (AAU) 03-yes
20 - Cal (AAU) 03-no

55- Washington (AAU) 03-yes
67 - UConn 03-no
72 - SMU <-- maybe #4?
97 - South Florida (AAU) [market duplication] <-- not now

105 - Arizona (AAU) <-- maybe #4?
105 - Oregon (AAU) 03-yes
105 - Utah (AAU) <-- maybe #4?

121 - Arizona State (AAU) <-- maybe #4?

151 - Oregon State 03-no

212 - Washington State 03-no

As I said, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, and one more (I don't care as long as it's either Arizona State, Utah, SMU, or possibly Arizona)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 07-27-2023 10:55 AM

(07-27-2023 10:46 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-27-2023 08:44 AM)esayem Wrote:  I know people don't like Cal and the politics they bring, but ACC presidents will take a gander at the available schools:

20 - Cal (AAU) 03-no

67 - UConn 03-no
72 - SMU <-- maybe #4?

151 - Oregon State 03-no

As I said, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, and one more (I don't care as long as it's either Arizona State, Utah, SMU, or possibly Arizona)

...and I really don't see Oregon and Washington signing a 13 year GOR so toss those entire states out.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 07-27-2023 11:26 AM

(07-27-2023 10:55 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(07-27-2023 10:46 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

20 - Cal (AAU) 03-no

67 - UConn 03-no
72 - SMU <-- maybe #4?

151 - Oregon State 03-no

...and I really don't see Oregon and Washington signing a 13 year GOR so toss those entire states out.

You give up too easily.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 07-27-2023 12:21 PM

(07-27-2023 09:28 AM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  Arizona State's physical location in the center of the Phoenix DMA makes it a superior acquisition compared to Arizona. The Phoenix CMSA is 13th in size in the US and the univerisity is twice the size of UA. Their physical proximity to LA, SD, and LV is also a plus. From the standpoint of making money for the ACC I think the pecking order is:

1. Stanford
2. Washington
3. Arizona State
4. Oregon
5. Utah

6. Cal
7. UA

If we can take just four then they can all be each other's three rival group and their other 5-6 games with the rest of us. This means just 2, sometimes three trips to the east for football. With just four schools we can avoid a discrete divisions for football.

Travel to any western cities would be bad. Being close to a major airport lessens travel burden a bit.

As we all know, ASU, Utah, and SMU are close to major airports. That should be a consideration.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 07-27-2023 12:32 PM

Let’s try to think strategically.

Like or not, the ACC’s major competitor at this point is the Big 12. The SEC and the B10 are way ahead of the rest. The Pac fell behind.

If the B12 gets only Colorado, then it’s okay. If they get UConn to round out, that won’t strengthen their position.

But GK seems like such a terrible leader that he may not be able to surive this crisis. The P12 doomsday scenario is one step closer. As I said before, the ACC should have a contingency plan ready for this scenario.

I am sure Phillips and the ACC leadership have talked about this. They probably didn’t want to make any move other than monitoring. They better take an action.