CSNbbs
Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? (/thread-961701.html)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 02-23-2023 05:36 AM

(02-23-2023 12:07 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(02-22-2023 11:11 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Everyone is talking about Pac 12’s medial deal but does anyone know how ND’s media negotiation is going?

I heard NBC is interested in NBA rights.

A rumor around ND several months ago was that ND and NBC were about ten million apart and still talking.

Whether that was true or not, who knows?

An internet rumor on the FSU board by "northvanole" is that ND and NBC agreed to terms in August but the deal hasn't been signed.

According to this rumor, the current NBC contract has substantial penalties if ND joins a conference during the contract term.

The new extension would have these penalties as well, but NBC has agreed to waive them......but only if ND joins the Big Ten.

The penalties would remain in the new deal for any other conference....so NBC is trying to push ND into the Big Ten.....so the rumor goes.........

The old contract doesn't expire until 2025.

Interesting.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TerryD - 02-23-2023 07:10 AM

(02-23-2023 05:36 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(02-22-2023 11:11 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Everyone is talking about Pac 12’s medial deal but does anyone know how ND’s media negotiation is going?

A rumor around ND several months ago was that ND and NBC were about ten million apart and still talking.

An internet rumor on the FSU board by "northvanole" is that ND and NBC agreed to terms in August but the deal hasn't been signed.

According to this rumor, the current NBC contract has substantial penalties if ND joins a conference during the contract term.

The new extension would have these penalties as well, but NBC has agreed to waive them......but only if ND joins the Big Ten.

The penalties would remain in the new deal for any other conference....so NBC is trying to push ND into the Big Ten.....so the rumor goes.........

Interesting.

The fact that the deal terms were allegedly agreed last August but the contract not signed has led some to argue that means that something is up....

...that ND is in fact on its way to the Big Ten before or on 2025.

Time will tell.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 02-23-2023 07:59 AM

(02-23-2023 07:10 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Interesting.

The fact that the deal terms were allegedly agreed last August but the contract not signed has led some to argue that means that something is up....

Time will tell.

That could be the only way that the Irish can guarantee that the SC series will continue, which might be very strong motivation for Notre Dame and it's alumni.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - CardinalJim - 02-23-2023 08:27 AM

I would hate to see Notre Dame join The Big Ten. I would hate to see them join any conference.
It wouldn’t be good for college football. The Irish are supposed to be independent.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TerryD - 02-23-2023 10:37 AM

(02-23-2023 07:59 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Interesting.

Time will tell.

That could be the only way that the Irish can guarantee that the SC series will continue, which might be very strong motivation for Notre Dame and it's alumni.

USC has already said that the series would continue.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 02-23-2023 01:02 PM

Interesting.

Time will tell.

I also heard if NBC does get an NBA deal, they may not want to spend much on ND. As you said, time will tell.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - JRsec - 02-23-2023 01:42 PM

(02-23-2023 01:02 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

Interesting.

Time will tell.

I also heard if NBC does get an NBA deal, they may not want to spend much on ND. As you said, time will tell.

Hmm, I've heard something entirely different.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TerryD - 02-23-2023 01:45 PM

Jack Swarbrick held an online Q & A today concerning various topics, including the NBC negotiations and realignment.

Here are his quotes (not much):

Swarbrick on NBC deal: “We need the financial resources to compete with the schools in the Big Ten and SEC…As we enter into new negotiations, we have a very specific goal."

More on NBC: “I feel especially good with their Big Ten partnership. We’re better if they have more inventory.”

Swarbrick on realignment: “We have all the ingredients. It’s a great time to be independent, and we’ll take advantage of it.”

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 02-23-2023 11:03 PM

The full transcript is available at SI.

“Secondly, we need the financial resources to compete with the schools in the Big 10 and the SEC. That's a given here, that as we enter into new negotiations, we have a very specific goal of making sure we reach those levels, because we want to compete.”

This part is interesting to me. I presume NBC is probably going to give ND a good money ($60M+). But what if it doesn’t?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 02-23-2023 11:18 PM

It looks like the Pac media deal negotiation is at the last stage. I am pretty sure ESPN and Amazon already gave the Pac a final offer by now. Most Pac schools are probably ready to accept a not so great offer but maybe a couple of schools wanted to take more time. Maybe UO and UW wanted to ask the B10 for the last time.

Is UO and UW to the ACC still a possibility? I was hopeful last year but not so sure now. Many ACC schools seem to be just fine with the status quo.

Having said that, I am curious on why the unequal revenue sharing is being discussed. I don’t see any reason for the ACC to even discuss it UNLESS the ACC is considering an expansion.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TerryD - 02-23-2023 11:34 PM

(02-23-2023 11:03 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  The full transcript is available at SI.

“Secondly, we need the financial resources to compete with the schools in the Big 10 and the SEC. That's a given here, that as we enter into new negotiations, we have a very specific goal of making sure we reach those levels, because we want to compete.”

This part is interesting to me. I presume NBC is probably going to give ND a good money ($60M+). But what if it doesn’t?

From an article:

ON THE LATEST AROUND CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT AND NOTRE DAME’S INDEPENDENCE…

"I've never felt better about our independent status, both its value to the university and our ability to maintain it.“

The expansion to College Football Playoff, 12-team playoff with six at large positions, gives us a fair opportunity to get into the post-season.

The opportunity to have a committed broadcast partner, like I just discussed, gives us an opportunity to stay independent. And finally, the question of whether we can build the schedules we need to build. And that has never been an issue and it's not now.

I've yet to place a phone call to a colleague and asked if they were interested in playing where they didn't say yes, so we have all the ingredients. Frankly, it's a great time to be independent, and we're going to take full advantage of it."

ON THE CLIMATE SURROUNDING THESE DISCUSSIONS…

"I am encouraged. I think that one of the reasons to be encouraged is that everybody who does broadcast agreement, to the NFL or anybody, understands that part of their inventory will be streamed, mostly carried on regular television. And NBC with Peacock is a great streaming partner.

And so, we found that out with the games we've done already, and we look forward to continuing to work with Peacock, but you have to have that component. So, they have it. And we have such a long relationship, right? It goes back so long. And it's so important to both companies.

And then lastly, I feel especially good with their Big 10 partnership because we are better if they have more college football inventory. There'll be cross promotion, and it'll create a better environment as opposed to being very limited football inventory on NBC. We're now part of a much larger package."

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/LongFormArticle/Everything-Jack-Swarbrick-Said-in-a-Live-Chat-on-Thursday-205208013/#205208013_12

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 02-24-2023 05:28 AM

(02-23-2023 11:34 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 11:03 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  The full transcript is available at SI.

From an article:

"I've never felt better about our independent status, both its value to the university and our ability to maintain it.“

The expansion to College Football Playoff, 12-team playoff with six at large positions, gives us a fair opportunity to get into the post-season.

The opportunity to have a committed broadcast partner, like I just discussed, gives us an opportunity to stay independent. And finally, the question of whether we can build the schedules we need to build. And that has never been an issue and it's not now.

I've yet to place a phone call to a colleague and asked if they were interested in playing where they didn't say yes, so we have all the ingredients. Frankly, it's a great time to be independent, and we're going to take full advantage of it."

"I am encouraged. I think that one of the reasons to be encouraged is that everybody who does broadcast agreement, to the NFL or anybody, understands that part of their inventory will be streamed, mostly carried on regular television. And NBC with Peacock is a great streaming partner.

And so, we found that out with the games we've done already, and we look forward to continuing to work with Peacock, but you have to have that component. So, they have it. And we have such a long relationship, right? It goes back so long. And it's so important to both companies.

And then lastly, I feel especially good with their Big 10 partnership because we are better if they have more college football inventory. There'll be cross promotion, and it'll create a better environment as opposed to being very limited football inventory on NBC. We're now part of a much larger package."

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/LongFormArticle/Everything-Jack-Swarbrick-Said-in-a-Live-Chat-on-Thursday-205208013/#205208013_12

Sounds like Savvy Jack is really cozying up to NBC and the B1G.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TerryD - 02-24-2023 09:45 AM

(02-24-2023 05:28 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 11:34 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

From an article:

Sounds like Savvy Jack is really cozying up to NBC and the B1G.

More the former than the latter, but he is happy that ND can benefit by having an independent NBC TV contract now being cross marketed with the NBC/Big Ten deal.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Wahoowa84 - 02-24-2023 10:50 AM

Notre Dame has done an impressive job of growing its revenue and keeping up with the P2. They get a full share of the ACCN (although they’re the only program to not provide T2/T3 football content). They get ACC payouts for non-regular season football revenues. They get an equal distribution of P5 CFP payouts (in fact, their CFP payout formula will be used to reimburse all P5 members for the first two years of the 12-team CFP expansion).

T1/T2 football media is the most complex and lucrative content to sell. If they can close the deal with NBC, Swarbrick cements a grand legacy. I mistakenly thought that only ESPN would be able to provide an adequate level of money so that ND could maintain its football independence.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TerryD - 02-24-2023 11:43 AM

(02-24-2023 10:50 AM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  

Notre Dame has done an impressive job of growing its revenue and keeping up with the P2. They get a full share of the ACCN (although they’re the only program to not provide T2/T3 football content). They get ACC payouts for non-regular season football revenues. They get an equal distribution of P5 CFP payouts (in fact, their CFP payout formula will be used to reimburse all P5 members for the first two years of the 12-team CFP expansion).

T1/T2 football media is the most complex and lucrative content to sell. If they can close the deal with NBC, Swarbrick cements a grand legacy. I mistakenly thought that only ESPN would be able to provide an adequate level of money so that ND could maintain its football independence.

There are a few ND away games that make it on to the ACC Network, but your overall point stands.

I think that Swarbrick will close the NBC deal and it will be well north of $50 million a year.

That amount, when combined with the partial ACC payout and the full ACCN payout, would put ND at or near the SEC and Big Ten level TV/conference payouts.

As you said, Swarbrick will put a nice cap stone on his AD career if he pulls that off and keeps ND football independent.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Lou_C - 02-24-2023 12:37 PM

So, if anyone wants an idea what FSU is thinking about when it talks about "unequal revenue sharing"...they're not thinking about a million dollar performance bonus...

https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1629170246790569988

#FSU AD Michael Alford having an interesting talk to the BoT. He says the #Noles contribute roughly 15% of ACC media rights value but get 7% of the distributions

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Lou_C - 02-24-2023 12:41 PM

(02-24-2023 12:37 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  So, if anyone wants an idea what FSU is thinking about when it talks about "unequal revenue sharing"...they're not thinking about a million dollar performance bonus...

#FSU AD Michael Alford having an interesting talk to the BoT. He says the #Noles contribute roughly 15% of ACC media rights value but get 7% of the distributions

Also in that thread...if FSU hadn't already made it abundantly clear...

Alford: “At the end of the day, if something’s not done, we cannot be $30 million behind every year compared to our peers.”

#FSU BoT asks about a buyout to leave the ACC. Legal counsel says roughly $120 million.
Q (I'm very roughly paraphrasing): So if we make up the $30M we're behind from our peers...we'd break even in roughly four years?
Alford: "Hypothetically"

Alford (before being asked about a possible buyout to leave the ACC): “At the end of the day for Florida State to compete nationally, something has to change going forward.”
The key thing being discussed today: a new revenue distribution model for the ACC

No mention of course of grant of rights, but as I and JR have been saying...probably would not be an obstacle in an ESPN to ESPN move...what is ESPN going to sue on behalf of themselves? They don't lose any home games.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 02-24-2023 01:03 PM

(02-24-2023 12:41 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  
(02-24-2023 12:37 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  So, if anyone wants an idea what FSU is thinking about when it talks about "unequal revenue sharing"...they're not thinking about a million dollar performance bonus...

Alford: “At the end of the day, if something’s not done, we cannot be $30 million behind every year compared to our peers.”

#FSU BoT asks about a buyout to leave the ACC. Legal counsel says roughly $120 million.
Q (I'm very roughly paraphrasing): So if we make up the $30M we're behind from our peers...we'd break even in roughly four years?

Alford (before being asked about a possible buyout to leave the ACC): “At the end of the day for Florida State to compete nationally, something has to change going forward.”
The key thing being discussed today: a new revenue distribution model for the ACC

No mention of course of grant of rights, but as I and JR have been saying...probably would not be an obstacle in an ESPN to ESPN move...what is ESPN going to sue on behalf of themselves? They don't lose any home games.

Maybe $120 Million PLUS GOR damages.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Lou_C - 02-24-2023 01:10 PM

(02-24-2023 01:03 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Who are the damages to? Who's suing them?

If they leave for the B1G, then certainly ESPN is going to try to sue about that, or retain FSU home games, as ESPN owns the rights to their games.

But where are the damages coming from if they move to the SEC and ESPN? ESPN would own FSU home games either way?

As long as ESPN doesn't cut the ACC's annual pay, which it wouldn't, what's the damages?

And ESPN wouldn't cut it based on:
1) The ACC is so underpaid that ESPN can afford to keep them level and still be a good deal.
2) The Big 12 has proven time and time again you can lose marquee teams and still be kept level, because of how quickly rights are worth more than what networks are paying. They never took a haircut.

FSU's damages to the ACC (if they move to ESPN) is covered in the substantial exit fees.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 02-24-2023 01:19 PM

(02-24-2023 01:10 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  
(02-24-2023 01:03 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Who are the damages to? Who's suing them?

If they leave for the B1G, then certainly ESPN is going to try to sue about that, or retain FSU home games, as ESPN owns the rights to their games.

But where are the damages coming from if they move to the SEC and ESPN? ESPN would own FSU home games either way?

As long as ESPN doesn't cut the ACC's annual pay, which it wouldn't, what's the damages?

And ESPN wouldn't cut it based on:
1) The ACC is so underpaid that ESPN can afford to keep them level and still be a good deal.
2) The Big 12 has proven time and time again you can lose marquee teams and still be kept level, because of how quickly rights are worth more than what networks are paying. They never took a haircut.

FSU's damages to the ACC (if they move to ESPN) is covered in the substantial exit fees.

GOR's are held by the conference not ESPN. The damages would be paid to the ACC, or the ACC could just retain the rights to ALL FSU home games through 2036.