CSNbbs
Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? (/thread-961701.html)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 01-09-2024 01:43 PM

(01-09-2024 01:02 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 12:56 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 09:07 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 08:34 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 12:12 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  Interview with Oregon State AD, Scott Barnes

Q: Have you had recent conversations with Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark?

Barnes: Yes, and the ACC. Continue to have dialogue with them.

Q: They know what you’re seeking?

Barnes: They know our desires. Clearly. At the same time, we have a landing spot that is a really good fit for us right now. It’s super important in the short term. We’re thankful for that. The other option, we continue to talk about. But it’s important to keep the (Pac-12) brand and keep the assets.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2024/01/oregon-state-bowls-big-12-what-happened-to-fifth-power-5-football-game-why-wcc-q-and-a-with-ad-scott-barnes.html?outputType=amp

Sounds like WSU and OSU are content to sit on that $255 Million for a couple of years.

...or until they can legally withdraw it all and move it into their own accounts!
05-stirthepot

Speaking of which, what should the ACC do with all of the settlement monies that they will receive from Florida State?

I have been saying the ACC should use that money to finance helping target schools to exit the B12.

That would be forward-thinking, but also out of character for most ACC schools.
They're more likely to want to invest it all in bitcoin.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 01-09-2024 02:36 PM

(01-09-2024 01:43 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 08:34 AM)XLance Wrote:  Sounds like WSU and OSU are content to sit on that $255 Million for a couple of years.

...or until they can legally withdraw it all and move it into their own accounts!
05-stirthepot

Speaking of which, what should the ACC do with all of the settlement monies that they will receive from Florida State?

I have been saying the ACC should use that money to finance helping target schools to exit the B12.

That would be forward-thinking, but also out of character for most ACC schools.
They're more likely to want to invest it all in bitcoin.

Precious metals, if you don't hold it then you don't own it.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Wahoowa84 - 01-12-2024 04:55 PM

(01-09-2024 08:34 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(01-09-2024 12:12 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  Interview with Oregon State AD, Scott Barnes

Q: Have you had recent conversations with Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark?

Barnes: Yes, and the ACC. Continue to have dialogue with them.

Q: They know what you’re seeking?

Barnes: They know our desires. Clearly. At the same time, we have a landing spot that is a really good fit for us right now. It’s super important in the short term. We’re thankful for that. The other option, we continue to talk about. But it’s important to keep the (Pac-12) brand and keep the assets.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2024/01/oregon-state-bowls-big-12-what-happened-to-fifth-power-5-football-game-why-wcc-q-and-a-with-ad-scott-barnes.html?outputType=amp

Sounds like WSU and OSU are content to sit on that $255 Million for a couple of years.

05-stirthepot

Agree. The four corners schools depend on California students for out-of-state enrollment and general university revenues. In addition, playing versus Cal & Stanford helps four corner schools access recruits, as well opening the wallets of their deep pocket donors.

I still don’t see an easy exit for FSU, mainly because their approach potentially ruins ESPN’s business model while risking the ACC’s viability. Nevertheless, if a mutually acceptable solution arises, then the proceeds need to be available to entice realignment from current power conferences. The only likely entrants from a sufficiently funded program would be from the B12. In addition, ESPN benefits most when the ACC expands into new markets.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 01-17-2024 10:17 PM

With FSU heading out, wouid 16 work for football?

Is Oregon St. the “safest” expansion target?

Is USF the riskiest?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - GTFletch - 01-17-2024 11:23 PM

(01-17-2024 10:17 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  With FSU heading out, wouid 16 work for football?

Is USF the riskiest?

I think USF is the safest pick

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - LaBradfordsTWill - 01-18-2024 08:28 AM

I would imagine Oregon State and Washington State are both still talking with the ACC and Big 12. Not much traction at the moment probably, but the ACC still has one pro rata spot available so they won't burn any bridges. I say go get Oregon State now and when FSU leaves, take USF.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 01-18-2024 08:38 AM

Let's trade FSU to the B12 for Arizona State and Kansas.
Then add USF and Oregon State.

ACC West - OSU, Cal, Stanford, ASU, SMU
ACC North - Kansas, Louisville, Pitt, BC, Syracuse
ACC East - UVa, VT, UNC, NC State, Duke
ACC South - Miami, USF, Clemson, GT, WF

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 01-18-2024 09:28 AM

I would say OSU is the safest because they are already thought of as a P5, already have their own stadium and have a nice rivalry with BigTen member UO that adds a level of intrigue, good baseball as well.

USF has a ton of potential, but it will likely take decades to reach it. They have a new stadium that's being built, that's loans that need to be re-payed. Their main rival is a Big12 member, does the ACC wish to form a rivalry with the Big12 or one of the P2?

Tulane is also interesting, but they need a longer history of sustained success to show they are not a flash in the pan.

UConn is a big brand in basketball, maybe the ACC should just embrace their basketball roots and create some separation between them and the other conferences?

Tough choice, but I think OSU is the best choice if we are choosing now. Since the ACC is likely blowing up in 2036 anyway, might as well use that last pro-rata.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - XLance - 01-18-2024 09:40 AM

(01-18-2024 09:28 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I would say OSU is the safest because they are already thought of as a P5, already have their own stadium and have a nice rivalry with BigTen member UO that adds a level of intrigue, good baseball as well.

USF has a ton of potential, but it will likely take decades to reach it. They have a new stadium that's being built, that's loans that need to be re-payed. Their main rival is a Big12 member, does the ACC wish to form a rivalry with the Big12 or one of the P2?

Tulane is also interesting, but they need a longer history of sustained success to show they are not a flash in the pan.

UConn is a big brand in basketball, maybe the ACC should just embrace their basketball roots and create some separation between them and the other conferences?

Tough choice, but I think OSU is the best choice if we are choosing now. Since the ACC is likely blowing up in 2036 anyway, might as well use that last pro-rata.

There won't be a need for the ACC to "blow up" once the 'Noles are gone and the conference is flush with FSU cash!!

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 01-18-2024 10:06 AM

(01-18-2024 09:40 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(01-18-2024 09:28 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I would say OSU is the safest because they are already thought of as a P5, already have their own stadium and have a nice rivalry with BigTen member UO that adds a level of intrigue, good baseball as well.

There won't be a need for the ACC to "blow up" once the 'Noles are gone and the conference is flush with FSU cash!!

They can spend that FSU cash getting out of the ACC in 2036.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 01-19-2024 03:18 PM

(01-17-2024 10:17 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  With FSU heading out, wouid 16 work for football?

Is USF the riskiest?

USF is the safest, followed by Oregon St.
Tulane and UConn are the two riskiest.
Washington State is... well, nobody around here even knows how to get there!

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - JRsec - 01-19-2024 03:51 PM

(01-19-2024 03:18 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

Wazzu is a Palouse La'Treck. And it's not even art!

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - ren.hoek - 01-19-2024 04:03 PM

(01-17-2024 11:23 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

Disagree. We already have in state rates for the ACC network in Florida with or without FSU. Add a new state like Oregon.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - JRsec - 01-19-2024 04:09 PM

(01-19-2024 04:03 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

Disagree. We already have in state rates for the ACC network in Florida with or without FSU. Add a new state like Oregon.

You would be wise to move to 20 plus Notre Dame. You have 3 Western schools now which connect California to Texas. Go after Oregon State and Utah, which has the best numbers of the 4 corners and you weaken the Big 12 (before the new contract takes hold) and now have 5 Western schools which cuts down on travel significantly for those schools and the rest of the Eastern portion of the ACC. Go ahead and add Tulane and USF.

Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Florida, Wake Forest

Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Boston College, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Tulane

California, Oregon State, S.M.U., Stanford, Utah

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 01-19-2024 05:59 PM

(01-19-2024 03:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-19-2024 03:18 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

Wazzu is a Palouse La'Treck. And it's not even art!

Bravo 04-bow

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 01-19-2024 06:01 PM

(01-19-2024 04:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

You would be wise to move to 20 plus Notre Dame. You have 3 Western schools now which connect California to Texas. Go after Oregon State and Utah, which has the best numbers of the 4 corners and you weaken the Big 12 (before the new contract takes hold) and now have 5 Western schools which cuts down on travel significantly for those schools and the rest of the Eastern portion of the ACC. Go ahead and add Tulane and USF.

That would be a near perfect ACC. The title winner will always make the playoff and a 10 game winner would make it more often than not. If you can't win 10 games your ass needs to not be in the playoff.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - JRsec - 01-19-2024 06:10 PM

(01-19-2024 06:01 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

That would be a near perfect ACC. The title winner will always make the playoff and a 10 game winner would make it more often than not. If you can't win 10 games your ass needs to not be in the playoff.

Well, here's my reasoning and motivation. The SEC can take Florida State and meet a need in scheduling. If we took more than FSU, we weaken the ACC and open it up for intrusion from the North or force ourselves to take more than would be profitable just to defend the region. By taking FSU we remove the #1 malcontent, without costing ESPN, the SEC or the ACC leverage in our own states that a defection to the Big 10 would bring.

A 20 school ACC looks pretty damn secure to me, philosophically, regionally, and academically.

If the SEC takes Kansas to go with Florida State a healthy ACC enables the SEC to take two more to the West to bulk up the SECN and to reach a different time zone in which to market yet another time slot for the SEC & ESPN. Colorado and Arizona State work nicely. At that point with 4 PAC schools in the ACC and two more in the SEC ESPN holds every PAC state except Washington and holds them outright.

We are headed for a 12-team playoff. Condense this down to 4 conferences and expand the 12 to 16 and if each conference had 4 divisions there's your field. Take the 4 division champs in each conference, ditch the damn committee, and play 'er off!

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 01-19-2024 06:11 PM

Is USF the riskiest?

I agree with the 20+ team league.

If the ACC needs to expand soon, Oregon State and USF seem like a reasonable pick. The better strategy is to wait for a few years and recruit the B12 schools.

I'm fine with any of the following 6 schools:

Kansas, Utah, ASU, AZ, TCU, and Colorado.

Kansas football attendance number is now well over 40K. If they don't get an invite from the P2, the ACC seriously consider Jayhawks.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - ren.hoek - 01-19-2024 07:28 PM

(01-19-2024 06:11 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

Is USF the riskiest?

I agree with the 20+ team league.

If the ACC needs to expand soon, Oregon State and USF seem like a reasonable pick. The better strategy is to wait for a few years and recruit the B12 schools.

I'm fine with any of the following 6 schools:

Kansas, Utah, ASU, AZ, TCU, and Colorado.

Kansas football attendance number is now well over 40K. If they don't get an invite from the P2, the ACC seriously consider Jayhawks.

If we're raiding the big 12, then we should take Utah, Arizona State, and Oregon State to make a nice, 5 team western division. Take Kansas to get to 20.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 01-19-2024 09:28 PM

Arizona State is obviously pissed they had to join the Big XII. Arizona State has a presence in SoCal and is by far the best choice of the Big XII. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if both Arizona State and Colorado are on the Big Ten's shortlist.

The "problem" with ASU is they look just like a Big Ten school while Arizona looks like a large ACC school. So if the Big Ten gets hungry and whiffs on FSU, I can see Arizona State being a top target. Colorado actually looks more like an ACC school than a Big Ten school with AAU status and only ~6.5k grad students. Utah is similar.

If the Big XII schools decide to remain regional, or are plucked by the hungry giant to the north, well South Florida is an obvious replacement for FSU.

I don't know about Oregon State, but it seems a bridge too far to me.

Rice and Tulane would be excellent fits if they sign a commitment to dump money into NIL etc in order to be competitive. I have no doubts SMU will find money in oil drums in order to compete. Rice and Tulane I'm not so sure, but I'd bet their alumni would rather go to the opera than a football game unless proven otherwise.

Apparently there is a #NeverUConn thing going on, but they would be a flag near NYC and perhaps lead to a hostile takeover of MSG. Yeah, sure they run up debt or whatever, but I think there is a reason the Big XII honcho is so vocal about wrangling them.