CSNbbs
Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? (/thread-961701.html)

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 09-08-2023 05:19 PM

(09-07-2023 05:56 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(09-07-2023 03:25 PM)XLance Wrote:  We need to be in contact with Tulane.

Tulane is an odd orbit as far as I can tell. Everyone near the top seems to come from Rice, Emory, Penn, JH, etc. I know just one Tulane grad. Human capital remaining in the area to support Tulane might be the challenge.

I just don't think Tulane is of a Power conference caliber.

What about religiously affiliated institutes?

The ACC just accepted a methodist college. Is Baylor too religious? And BYU is a bridge too far? They would be great candidates otherwise.

Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Pony94 - 09-08-2023 06:34 PM

(09-08-2023 02:05 PM)Cody6003 Wrote:  
(09-07-2023 12:07 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  
(09-07-2023 12:05 AM)mustangxc Wrote:  Glad to see most of you are excited to see SMU's potential in the ACC. I know our fans are extremely excited to be here. While we have made inroads in recruiting since we hired Chad Morris transitioned to Sonny Dykes and now Rhett Lashlee and NIL I really do think recruiting can take another step or two or three forward with our new P3 status. Lashlee was smart to say that SMU is the only P3 school in the DFW metroplex after years of TCU saying they are the only P5 school in DFW. The proof of our ascension won't be visible until the recruits are on campus in 2024 and more likely 2025, but the fact that most of the Little XII and many of our current and former rivals in the region are really upset at our upgraded status tells me that they know SMU will now be able to win many recruiting battles it had lost in the past. Someone on twitter shared an interesting article from Arkansas that shows they are concerned with our new elevated status. I look forward to getting to know many of you in the near future. I understand SMU is not yet a part of the conference this season, so will mainly lurk and not post very often. Cheers!

https://www.si.com/college/arkansas/hogs-football/razorbacks-stanford-cal-smu-lashlee-musselman-sec-realignment-acc

Welcome to “P3” conference!

COGS
I hope SMU sports forums become more active. Not a lot of activity there yet.

800+ users on On3

Yes I know it’s incredibly early but ACC announcement sure is helping.

#SMU's 2025 recruiting class now sits inside the Top 10 nationally according to @On3Recruits Industry Ranking...

https://x.com/billyembody/status/1700274681713189029?s=46&t=X2R5raJE44zOOBPKLg0WDw

Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Pony94 - 09-08-2023 06:35 PM

(09-08-2023 05:19 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

Tulane is an odd orbit as far as I can tell. Everyone near the top seems to come from Rice, Emory, Penn, JH, etc. I know just one Tulane grad. Human capital remaining in the area to support Tulane might be the challenge.

The ACC just accepted a methodist college. Is Baylor too religious? And BYU is a bridge too far? They would be great candidates otherwise.

We are no more Methodist than Duke.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 09-08-2023 06:50 PM

Well we already know BC, Vandy, and Rutgers are not power conference caliber but there they are. You know why they are where they are? Because of where they are.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - tj_2009 - 09-08-2023 11:00 PM

(09-05-2023 05:09 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  The Power conference realignment is finally over for this cycle, so let me ramble a little.

This realignment cycle (since July 2022) has been just crazy. The whole thing was so public and people made so many speculations, and some of the wildest and most inflammatory predictions came true. To the surprise of many, the B12 fanbois/trolls were right. The Pac 12 doomsday (or armageddon or whatever) did really come in such a spectacular fashion. August 4, 2023 would be remembered as the day of its death (the Pac 12 name may survive but you know what I mean...)

I was not an active poster before, but since July 2022, I have been constantly posting on why and how the ACC should expand. It was so obvious to me that the ACC needs to get the Pac schools in order to become an undisputable third conference. Otherwise, the aggressive B12 may eventually take over the #3 spot and some of the less desirable ACC schools may have to end up joining the B12. I don't know about you all but I never want Hokies to join that dreadful conference.

So I kept saying that the ACC should poach the Pac schools, particularly, OR and WA, although I did mention many other schools including Stanford, Utah, ASU, and SMU (and CAL only if Stanford insists).

Obviously, I got it wrong regarding OR/WA. So who got it right?

easysem has been consistently preaching that Stanford and Cal are the two schools that the ACC presidents would want to associate with.

Hokie Mark said (and even posted on his blog) that Stanford and SMU would be the two most valuable additions to the ACC.

Props to these two.

As for me, I'm just glad that the ACC managed to expand. This is a major win for the ACC and Phillips.

So the ACC is done for this cycle but the realignment would continue as we all know. Obviously, the western expansion is incomplete. The Big Ten would look for boosting revenue for the next media cycle (starting in 2030). Some of the ACC schools may challenge the GoR.

It’s going to be a real battle.

We will see.

04-cheers

I am glad that the ACC expanded too as I definitely thought Stanford and Cal were great schools to be associated with. I don't know much about SMU so I was neutral on them. The interesting thing is that the next round of alignment will result in a shrinking of revenues for networks so there is an extremely strong possibility that the ACC will be far ahead of the Big 10, SEC and Big XII in payouts. This is the result of cord cutting, unbundling of cable packages, streaming and IPTV. I am an investor so I pay attention to stuff like this (see charter cable vs Disney), IPTV, streaming. The Big 10, SEC and Big XII will be taking a big cut in their payouts the next contract. Who would have thought that the ACC would be number one in conference payouts after the next round of TV contracts. The one thing that the ACC will have to worry about is whether ESPN declares bankruptcy before 2036. It isn't looking good for the media business and if I were ESPN, I would go bankrupt and declare the SEC, B1G contracts null and void. It is unsustainable to be paying for media rights for the SEC and B1G and ACC and not being able to re-coop some of the money.
It will be for a short period of time where the ACC is number one in revenues because after 2036, there will be a cut in our payouts too.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - TyBull - 09-12-2023 12:28 PM

USF

1) An AAU School
2) Insurance for FSU getting happy feet to leave the ACC.
3) Insurance for UMiami getting happy feet to leave the ACC.
4) 13th Ranked National TV Market.
5) Then USF & GT my 2 schools will play yearly (I know, selfish)

TyBull

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - cuseroc - 09-12-2023 04:48 PM

(08-30-2023 01:01 AM)ArQ Wrote:  
(08-28-2023 01:12 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  It may happen TONIGHT.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-presidents-to-meet-on-conference-expansion-on-monday-night-173527541.html

Things to watch:

* final vote count
* how much discount and for how many years for Stanford, Cal, and SMU
* revenue distribution
* football/basketball scheduling
* number of ND games

A random Asian guy in UNC Chapel Hill shot and killed his advisor to stop ACC expansion.

(09-12-2023 12:28 PM)TyBull Wrote:  USF

1) An AAU School

TyBull

Hey TyBull. Welcome.
We may be conference mates again one day

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 09-12-2023 05:59 PM

If it was up to me, USF and UCF wouid be in the ACC already, but other schools (you know who i spake of) are so territorial that they wouid have a conniption. Perhaps it could work if *you know who* and UM were in separate divisions from USF and UCF, but in the same conference.

Since I’m throwing stuff at the wall, might as well:

ACC 2030

FSU, UM, Clem, GT, NCSU, VT, SU, UL, Wake

USF, UCF, UNC, Duke, Pitt, UVA, BC, SMU, Cal

Stanford gets a BigTen invite which they accept.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 09-12-2023 07:56 PM

(09-08-2023 06:50 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

Well we already know BC, Vandy, and Rutgers are not power conference caliber but there they are. You know why they are where they are? Because of where they are.

Umm…New Orleans media market is SMALL. And Louisiana is smaller than AL and SC.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 09-12-2023 08:01 PM

(09-12-2023 12:28 PM)TyBull Wrote:  USF

1) An AAU School

TyBull

I think USF will eventually get in. And they may get in early if FSU leaves early.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - SouthernConfBoy - 09-12-2023 11:09 PM

(09-12-2023 07:56 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  
(09-08-2023 06:50 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

Umm…New Orleans media market is SMALL. And Louisiana is smaller than AL and SC.

NO is just one DMA in Louisiana. Shreveport reaches well into Texas and Arkansas.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 09-15-2023 04:52 PM

Anybody else entertaining Rice in their heads?

2 in Cali, 2 in Florida, 2 in Virginia, 2 in Tejas.

RICE

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - random asian guy - 09-15-2023 05:01 PM

(09-15-2023 04:52 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Anybody else entertaining Rice in their heads?

RICE

Yes to 2nd school in Texas.

No to Rice (and UTSA or TSU)

Either HOUSTON or BAYLOR

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 09-15-2023 05:29 PM

Ok...lemme axe you this: what if TCU says “take me”. Do your take a second Dallas area school? The ACC likes to double up in the same city metro, so why or why not?

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 09-15-2023 05:43 PM

(09-15-2023 05:01 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  
(09-15-2023 04:52 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Anybody else entertaining Rice in their heads?

RICE

Yes to 2nd school in Texas.

No to Rice (and UTSA or TSU)

Either HOUSTON or BAYLOR

I'd rather have TCU than Baylor.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 09-15-2023 05:45 PM

(09-15-2023 05:29 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Ok...lemme axe you this: what if TCU says “take me”. Do your take a second Dallas area school? The ACC likes to double up in the same city metro, so why or why not?

For travel ease, 2 in DFW might work (play 2 olympic sports events in one trip, stay in the same hotel). Also, TCU is SMU's #1 rival, IIRC.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Garrettabc - 09-15-2023 06:13 PM

(09-15-2023 05:45 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-15-2023 05:29 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Ok...lemme axe you this: what if TCU says “take me”. Do your take a second Dallas area school? The ACC likes to double up in the same city metro, so why or why not?

For travel ease, 2 in DFW might work (play 2 olympic sports events in one trip, stay in the same hotel). Also, TCU is SMU's #1 rival, IIRC.

That’s a good point. I’m on the TCU train now.

Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Pony94 - 09-15-2023 06:24 PM

Can’t see any President thinking Baylor is a good idea.

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - esayem - 09-15-2023 07:54 PM

RICE

If Rice ponies up (pun intended) they are my choice

Or if Tulane brings the Green Wave

I think you get my point. Mmm Oktoberfest 04-cheers

RE: Is the expansion still an option for the ACC? - Hokie Mark - 09-15-2023 09:40 PM

(09-15-2023 07:54 PM)esayem Wrote:  

RICE

If Rice ponies up (pun intended) they are my choice

Or if Tulane brings the Green Wave

I think you get my point. Mmm Oktoberfest 04-cheers

Both Rice (SWC) and Tulane (SEC) were once in power conferences. However, only one of them is making any effort to get back to that level. I don't recall ever seeing anything from Rice since well before the SouthWest Conference closed shop.