CSNbbs
Trusted News Sources - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Trusted News Sources (/thread-961206.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trusted News Sources - oruvoice - 12-07-2022 02:24 PM

A question for all of our Dem posters, since I can't seem to get an answer from Tom.

Many of you claim that those on the right are conspiracy theorists and only absorb news from sources that can't be trusted. Several of you have said that we should seek out news from reliable sources, that hold to a high journalistic standard. So that said, can some of our Dem friends please list for us the top 3 sources we should look to for news that we can trust?

RE: Trusted News Sources - mlb - 12-07-2022 02:40 PM

Can't answer for the Dems around here, but for me the top source is myself. You all should probably follow my thoughts as gospel as well.

RE: Trusted News Sources - oruvoice - 12-07-2022 02:44 PM

(12-07-2022 02:40 PM)mlb Wrote:  Can't answer for the Dems around here, but for me the top source is myself. You all should probably follow my thoughts as gospel as well.

Good one.

But seriously, give me 3 of the most honest news outlets, where I can get news (besides calling you)?

RE: Trusted News Sources - mlb - 12-07-2022 02:46 PM

I don't trust any, so that is tough for me. I honestly try to read around from all of them and get a gage from there. I usually have Fox News on most of the day in the background, but I read Drudge and scroll through CNN to see thoughts across the spectrum on things. I'm not a Huff Post guy, or any of those type sites.

RE: Trusted News Sources - VA49er - 12-07-2022 02:48 PM

(12-07-2022 02:46 PM)mlb Wrote:  I don't trust any, so that is tough for me. I honestly try to read around from all of them and get a gage from there. I usually have Fox News on most of the day in the background, but I read Drudge and scroll through CNN to see thoughts across the spectrum on things. I'm not a Huff Post guy, or any of those type sites.

Exactly. IMO, there is no one or three sources that can be trusted. It's more taking a look at maybe two or three and then realizing the truth is actually somewhere in the middle.

RE: Trusted News Sources - Bear Catlett - 12-07-2022 02:53 PM

1. The view.

2. Any movie star's twitter.

3. Teen Beat magazine.

RE: Trusted News Sources - oruvoice - 12-07-2022 02:58 PM

(12-07-2022 02:48 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 02:46 PM)mlb Wrote:  I don't trust any, so that is tough for me. I honestly try to read around from all of them and get a gage from there. I usually have Fox News on most of the day in the background, but I read Drudge and scroll through CNN to see thoughts across the spectrum on things. I'm not a Huff Post guy, or any of those type sites.

Exactly. IMO, there is no one or three sources that can be trusted. It's more taking a look at maybe two or three and then realizing the truth is actually somewhere in the middle.

Right. I get what you and mlb are saying. But, many of the Dems on this board regularly say that Repubs are being being duped by the media they absorb and that they should search out more trusted/reliable sources.

That said, I'd like for someone/anyone on the Dem side to give me 3 sources where one can get news that is trustworthy. It's a simple ask.

RE: Trusted News Sources - Redwingtom - 12-07-2022 03:00 PM

Here's a good article. And it also points out the problem of conglomeration of many of the media sources. They list their Top 4 as AP, WSJ, Reuters, and the BBC. Which is interesting as I've always found that foreign reporting on America is usually quite good. I used to watch a lot of CBC news from Canada back in the day. Al Jazerra was pretty good too...but I have not looked at them much lately.

Top 4 Unbiased Independent World News Sources

RE: Trusted News Sources - oruvoice - 12-07-2022 03:02 PM

(12-07-2022 03:00 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Here's good article. And it also points out the problem of conglomeration of many of the media sources. They list their Top 4 as AP, WSJ, Reuters, and the BBC. Which is interesting as I've always found that foreign reporting on America is usually quite good. I used to watch a lot of CBC news from Canada back in the day. Al Jazerra was pretty good too...but I have not looked at them much lately.

So, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR, NYT, & NPR don't crack the top 4?

Would any of those crack your top 10?

RE: Trusted News Sources - Redwingtom - 12-07-2022 03:04 PM

And FTR, I don't think I've much claimed that anyone is being duped by any sort of media for the most part. What I've complained about are people using Gateway Pundit, WND, and Epoch Times, etc. as anything close to credible. And no, I don't for the most part find Salon, Mother Jones, nor DailyKos credible either.

The key for me, is looking for confirmation from more than once source first...and not finding a second source that's just rehashing or copying verbatim the original source.

RE: Trusted News Sources - Redwingtom - 12-07-2022 03:06 PM

(12-07-2022 03:02 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 03:00 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Here's good article. And it also points out the problem of conglomeration of many of the media sources. They list their Top 4 as AP, WSJ, Reuters, and the BBC. Which is interesting as I've always found that foreign reporting on America is usually quite good. I used to watch a lot of CBC news from Canada back in the day. Al Jazerra was pretty good too...but I have not looked at them much lately.

Of course, many of them. Fox News would also as well.

I also try to look for local sourcing on stories as well. You can usually find pretty credible reporting on issues there. Although it's getting much tougher with everyone moving to subscription models.

RE: Trusted News Sources - BartlettTigerFan - 12-07-2022 03:07 PM

(12-07-2022 03:04 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  And FTR, I don't think I've much claimed that anyone is being duped by any sort of media for the most part. What I've complained about are people using Gateway Pundit, WND, and Epoch Times, etc. as anything close to credible. And no, I don't for the most part find Salon, Mother Jones, nor DailyKos credible either.

The key for me, is looking for confirmation from more than once source first...and not finding a second source that's just rehashing or copying verbatim the original source.

That basically excludes the entire MSM

RE: Trusted News Sources - AdoptedMonarch - 12-07-2022 03:08 PM

A cross between the WSJ and the Babylon Bee, depending upon my mood.

RE: Trusted News Sources - oruvoice - 12-07-2022 03:16 PM

(12-07-2022 03:06 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

I also try to look for local sourcing on stories as well. You can usually find pretty credible reporting on issues there. Although it's getting much tougher with everyone moving to subscription models.

So, you'd put Fox News on the same level of integrity as NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, etc.?

RE: Trusted News Sources - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-07-2022 03:26 PM

Electronic: BBC World Service
Print: The Economist

Both lean hard left editorially, although The Economist has a Libertarian flavor at times, but they do a better job of separating news from opinion than do USA media.

RE: Trusted News Sources - BartlettTigerFan - 12-07-2022 03:37 PM

(12-07-2022 03:16 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 03:06 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

So, you'd put Fox News on the same level of integrity as NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, etc.?

Assuming you mean no integrity, I would.

RE: Trusted News Sources - Kruciff - 12-07-2022 03:42 PM

Honestly, the best advice I can give to anyone genuinely looking to be more informed is to cast a wide net. Don't rely on one or two sources to tell you what is happening. Anywhere that is offering news, it doesn't hurt to see what they say, but you must check other places. Is CNN reporting something that sounds iffy? Go check NPR, Fox News, and BBC. That's four very different sources, each with their own spin. If you know what everyone is saying, you are better prepared to decide for yourself what is actually going on

RE: Trusted News Sources - oruvoice - 12-07-2022 03:50 PM

(12-07-2022 03:42 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Honestly, the best advice I can give to anyone genuinely looking to be more informed is to cast a wide net. Don't rely on one or two sources to tell you what is happening. Anywhere that is offering news, it doesn't hurt to see what they say, but you must check other places. Is CNN reporting something that sounds iffy? Go check NPR, Fox News, and BBC. That's four very different sources, each with their own spin. If you know what everyone is saying, you are better prepared to decide for yourself what is actually going on

Yeah. I understand that, like I've said previously. Just trying to get someone on the left to give me, what they think, are the top sources for honesty/integrity in the news business, due to the fact that we constantly hear replies like "you get your news from XYZ source, no wonder you are duped"?

Seems like a simple question, but I can't seem to get anyone from the left to give a straight answer. Tom kinda did. Sort of.

RE: Trusted News Sources - BartlettTigerFan - 12-07-2022 03:52 PM

I see no point in watching any TV (so called) News.

RE: Trusted News Sources - olliebaba - 12-07-2022 03:54 PM

Not getting a definite answer tells me that even they believe that there's no credible news source out there and their producers are only being wagged by the tail, i.e., the Demoncraptic Party.