CSNbbs
Dilfer Staff - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Dilfer Staff (/thread-961023.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - UAB Band Dad - 12-07-2022 03:12 PM

(12-07-2022 01:51 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  That's probably true demivee. I do think the philosophy with Sione is interesting...being a DC by knowing offenses inside and out and preparing for them. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about reshuffling the core competency of our team.

From an offense perspective, this unit is going to be dynamic. He's talking about 19 different personnel groupings...did we even have 5 last year? I believe Skull will stay. If Debo grades out as needing more time to work on his skill, will he come back?

Debo is a Junior. I expect him to submit his name to the draft, and if he grades out as 3rd round or higher he should jump. If not, he only has one season left. He can stay here and be king stud and rewrite the record books as we go AAC or he could take a big NIL deal from a P5 with lots cash. Auburn already took a run at him and he stayed. We'll just have to wait and see how that breaks.

If he does stay, Dilfer's first season gets a lot easier.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - blazr - 12-07-2022 03:24 PM

I have no problem with him knowing who he trusts. He’s a winner and brings that to the program. I also have no doubt he’s full of knowledge of what systems he wants to see on the field. My concerns I’m starting to feel are about coaching and growing COLLEGE kids. There is a huge difference and I think we all agree on that (think about that girl you were dating in high school and swore to that nothing would change after you graduated to college). It can take years to learn how to develop, lead, and coach young men. I’m not seeing many hires that Dilfer himself can lean on to keep college players in line before they tune out the staff completely. I just hope he knows that there’s a high risk of losing the locker room, but none of his hires have eased my concern.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - KevMo4UAB - 12-07-2022 03:46 PM

(12-07-2022 03:12 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 01:51 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  That's probably true demivee. I do think the philosophy with Sione is interesting...being a DC by knowing offenses inside and out and preparing for them. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about reshuffling the core competency of our team.

From an offense perspective, this unit is going to be dynamic. He's talking about 19 different personnel groupings...did we even have 5 last year? I believe Skull will stay. If Debo grades out as needing more time to work on his skill, will he come back?

Debo is a Junior. I expect him to submit his name to the draft, and if he grades out as 3rd round or higher he should jump. If not, he only has one season left. He can stay here and be king stud and rewrite the record books as we go AAC or he could take a big NIL deal from a P5 with lots cash. Auburn already took a run at him and he stayed. We'll just have to wait and see how that breaks.

https://nfldraftlounge.com/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-uab-rb-dewayne-mcbride/

“He’s had a lot of success during his time at UAB, although he hasn’t been asked to contribute in the passing game or pass protection.”

“McBride has a solid ability to create and find lanes in traffic at the line of scrimmage. Displays a solid ability to bounce runs outside at the line to pickup positive yardage. Possesses good vision to find open lanes at the second-level. Has a solid ability to hit his top speed quickly and burst through gaps at the line of scrimmage. Maintains a good contact balance to remain upright in traffic. When he’s asked to be a lead blocker out in space, his ability to attack defenders and create space is solid.

However, DeWayne McBride lacks top-tier burst and explosiveness at the line of scrimmage once he’s through the hole. There are times where he struggles with change of direction. His top gear is enough to get him to intermediate range, but he’s typically unable to separate from defenders downfield. He has benefited from wide running lanes, but has been much less successful when those lanes are reduced in size. Finally, he does have a handful of fumbles over each of the last two seasons, which he’ll need to fix.”

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - THE_LEGEND - 12-07-2022 04:05 PM

(12-07-2022 03:46 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 03:12 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  

https://nfldraftlounge.com/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-uab-rb-dewayne-mcbride/

“He’s had a lot of success during his time at UAB, although he hasn’t been asked to contribute in the passing game or pass protection.”

“McBride has a solid ability to create and find lanes in traffic at the line of scrimmage. Displays a solid ability to bounce runs outside at the line to pickup positive yardage. Possesses good vision to find open lanes at the second-level. Has a solid ability to hit his top speed quickly and burst through gaps at the line of scrimmage. Maintains a good contact balance to remain upright in traffic. When he’s asked to be a lead blocker out in space, his ability to attack defenders and create space is solid.

However, DeWayne McBride lacks top-tier burst and explosiveness at the line of scrimmage once he’s through the hole. There are times where he struggles with change of direction. His top gear is enough to get him to intermediate range, but he’s typically unable to separate from defenders downfield. He has benefited from wide running lanes, but has been much less successful when those lanes are reduced in size. Finally, he does have a handful of fumbles over each of the last two seasons, which he’ll need to fix.”

“Clint Eastwood and I were fired on the same day,” Reynolds explained. “They told him his Adam’s apple stuck out too far, he talked too slow and he had to get that chipped tooth fixed. I then said, ‘Why are you firing me?’ And they said, ‘You can’t act!’”.
“So, we were walking to his truck and I said, ‘You’re in a hell of a lot of trouble.’ I said, ‘I’ll eventually learn to act. You’ll never get rid of that Adam’s apple.’”

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - demiveeman - 12-07-2022 04:13 PM

(12-07-2022 03:24 PM)blazr Wrote:  I just hope he knows that there’s a high risk of losing the locker room, but none of his hires have eased my concern.

Dude played for the Cleveland Browns. I think he knows how bad locker rooms can get.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - DuelingDragon - 12-07-2022 04:19 PM

I hope Debo is our greatest NFL player to date.

But I don’t think he will get the grade he wants. His pass blocking isn’t just poor. It is less than that. And the assessment that he lacks the top tier speed and that his production goes way down when the holes aren’t wide is an accurate one.

In the nfl, even when you get a hole, it is going to close fast. You just aren’t going to run untouched for 10 yards like often is seen for Debo in C-USA. The speed is going to matter.

With that said, he has elite balance and vision. He is elite at absorbing a hit and keeping his feet His yards after contact numbers are outstanding too but not so much against the better competition. The league will hold that against him, I think.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - The Answer UAB - 12-07-2022 04:20 PM

That draft assessment doesn't seem optimistic about him being higher than a 6th or 7th round pick.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - blazr - 12-07-2022 04:34 PM

(12-07-2022 04:13 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 03:24 PM)blazr Wrote:  I just hope he knows that there’s a high risk of losing the locker room, but none of his hires have eased my concern.

Dude played for the Cleveland Browns. I think he knows how bad locker rooms can get.

That’s another transition completely. The way of losing a college locker room and an NFL locker room, and the circumstances of each, are very different.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - busch - 12-07-2022 04:37 PM

Don't rule out the possibility that Debo takes NIL money for a year in a P5 program. Gives him a shot at easing some of those concerns.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - DuelingDragon - 12-07-2022 04:42 PM

(12-07-2022 04:37 PM)busch Wrote:  Don't rule out the possibility that Debo takes NIL money for a year in a P5 program. Gives him a shot at easing some of those concerns.

That is a very real possibility. I am pretty sure there are some Big 12 and Pac 12 teams that would throw big dollars at him (SEC, Big Ten I think less so). I would be stunned if he didn’t enter the portal and shop regardless of NFL feedback. But that comes with risk — he could do that and validate every critique the scouts have by performing only average against better competition.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - UAB Band Dad - 12-07-2022 04:49 PM

I think that's a fair assessment of Debo's game. RBs with limited blocking skills are going to be far less in demand. His receiving can probably be coached up, but poor blocking means he can't be an every down player in the NFL.

NIL is a wild card. It depends on who comes after him waving how much money. The holes likely close quicker against elite P5 defenses too.

I hope he stays, but that's his choice. I can't throw rocks if the guy chooses a big payout. Most of us would too, in similar circumstances.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - busch - 12-07-2022 04:50 PM

(12-07-2022 04:42 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 04:37 PM)busch Wrote:  Don't rule out the possibility that Debo takes NIL money for a year in a P5 program. Gives him a shot at easing some of those concerns.

That is a very real possibility. I am pretty sure there are some Big 12 and Pac 12 teams that would throw big dollars at him (SEC, Big Ten I think less so). I would be stunned if he didn’t enter the portal and shop regardless of NFL feedback. But that comes with risk — he could do that and validate every critique the scouts have by performing only average against better competition.
I wouldn't rule out SEC teams.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - ICB - 12-07-2022 04:54 PM

(12-07-2022 04:34 PM)blazr Wrote:  

That’s another transition completely. The way of losing a college locker room and an NFL locker room, and the circumstances of each, are very different.

While this may be true, I doubt any of us have been in both. He has, and many of the people he is hiring have.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - DuelingDragon - 12-07-2022 04:54 PM

I am not ruling them out at all, he just may have more dollars waiting for him in the Big 12. Really just depends on who is involved in the convos, their desperation at the position, timing etc.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - The Answer UAB - 12-07-2022 05:03 PM

(12-07-2022 04:49 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I think that's a fair assessment of Debo's game. RBs with limited blocking skills are going to be far less in demand. His receiving can probably be coached up, but poor blocking means he can't be an every down player in the NFL.

NIL is a wild card. It depends on who comes after him waving how much money. The holes likely close quicker against elite P5 defenses too.

I hope he stays, but that's his choice. I can't throw rocks if the guy chooses a big payout. Most of us would too, in similar circumstances.

Receiving seems to be hard to teach to running backs. Seems to be a you either have it or you don't type of skill.

Jordan Howard never learned to catch the ball, and it really limited his NFL career.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - Jball - 12-07-2022 05:20 PM

(12-07-2022 04:50 PM)busch Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 04:42 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  

I wouldn't rule out SEC teams.

I know that circumstances are different this year with coaching change, but heard that Ole Miss, Baylor and Florida was very interested in him last year. Not sure how that works since he wasn’t in the portal.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - demiveeman - 12-07-2022 05:24 PM

(12-07-2022 04:34 PM)blazr Wrote:  

Tell me more. I want to learn more of your insight. Have you applied for an analyst role yet? 03-lmfao

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - jaymay2525 - 12-07-2022 05:25 PM

Debo had Auburn NIL money last year and stayed due to the coaching staff, might be different this time around. I hope Dilfer can talk him into staying 1 more year in a pass to open up run and run to close games offensive. I think system could play a big role in him leaving or staying as well

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - demiveeman - 12-07-2022 05:28 PM

(12-07-2022 05:25 PM)jaymay2525 Wrote:  Debo had Auburn NIL money last year and stayed due to the coaching staff, might be different this time around. I hope Dilfer can talk him into staying 1 more year in a pass to open up run and run to close games offensive. I think system could play a big role in him leaving or staying as well

Personally, I cannot see any system Dilfer runs that doesn't reduce Debo's production by 25-30% at least.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Updated with DC - jaymay2525 - 12-07-2022 05:32 PM

(12-07-2022 05:28 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 05:25 PM)jaymay2525 Wrote:  Debo had Auburn NIL money last year and stayed due to the coaching staff, might be different this time around. I hope Dilfer can talk him into staying 1 more year in a pass to open up run and run to close games offensive. I think system could play a big role in him leaving or staying as well

Personally, I cannot see any system Dilfer runs that doesn't reduce Debo's production by 25-30% at least.

Agree, unless he decides this can help show pass blocking/catching which this would focus way more on for him