CSNbbs
Dilfer Staff - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Dilfer Staff (/thread-961023.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Dilfer Staff - Marathon Blazer - 01-19-2023 07:26 PM

(01-19-2023 07:09 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Kenwick Thompson hired to coach LB's (I assume). That is what he coached during his long career.

He’ll coach DBs.

Link:
https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/1616220128072404992?s=46&t=ELWMRCAKI79ZR_q3ioJtNQ

RE: Dilfer Staff - jaymay2525 - 01-20-2023 05:13 PM

another conflicting title...Jamie Graham is now listed as WR coach, not Austin Applebee

Dilfer Staff - Blazer Engineer - 01-20-2023 06:48 PM

I thought you could only have 11 on the field coaches, including the head coach

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RE: Dilfer Staff - B'ham Blazer - 01-20-2023 06:51 PM

(01-20-2023 06:48 PM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  I thought you could only have 11 on the field coaches, including the head coach

Yep, and who is the LB coach? Who is the WR coach, Applebee or Graham?

RE: Dilfer Staff - UAB Band Dad - 01-21-2023 07:32 PM

If you to to UAB's roster, neither LB nor WR coaches are listed. We wait and see.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Marathon Blazer - 01-21-2023 07:36 PM

(01-21-2023 07:32 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  If you to to UAB's roster, neither LB nor WR coaches are listed. We wait and see.

Could it be the coordinators coaching those spots?

RE: Dilfer Staff - bftb - 01-21-2023 07:43 PM

(01-21-2023 07:36 PM)Marathon Blazer Wrote:  
(01-21-2023 07:32 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  If you to to UAB's roster, neither LB nor WR coaches are listed. We wait and see.

Could it be the coordinators coaching those spots?

Sat by one of our linebackers at the basketball game today. We had a nice conversation. He said that defensive coordinator Sione Ta’ufo’ou is also serving as the LB coach.

RE: Dilfer Staff - blazr - 01-21-2023 11:03 PM

(01-20-2023 06:48 PM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  I thought you could only have 11 on the field coaches, including the head coach

Dilfer is commandeering the first row behind the team at Protective. Coaches will tag in and out.

RE: Dilfer Staff - om blazer - 01-23-2023 04:22 PM

I saw this from The Athletic:

How would you assess — and what are you hearing about — Trent Dilfer’s impact at UAB? — Tyler G.

There’s been some skepticism in the coaching and agent community about the staff Dilfer has put together. At his introductory news conference, Dilfer admitted he didn’t know much about the day-to-day work of recruiting and running a college football program, but that he would hire people who do. His offensive coordinator, Alex Mortensen, has never led an FBS position room, spending the past eight years as an Alabama graduate assistant and analyst. Defensive coordinator Sione Ta’ufo’ou followed Dilfer from the high school ranks.

Of the nine announced assistant coaches, only three have been full-time FBS assistant coaches before: running backs coach Hindley Brigham and stars/nickels coach Earnest Hill, both retained from the previous UAB staff, and secondary coach Kenneth Gilstrap. Most of the coaches are off-field staff from places like Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. That’s not to say this won’t work out for Dilfer. It’s been only two months. But the questions people had when he took the job remain questions.

RE: Dilfer Staff - Golden-Ticket - 01-23-2023 04:36 PM

In my opinion we seem to be hiring the guys who are the geniuses behind the curtain. We won’t know if these are good hires until a season so these articles won’t be very positive until them probably

RE: Dilfer Staff - LairDweller - 01-23-2023 05:42 PM

That clip from the Athletic seems like a very fair take, and summarizes how I feel. Doesn’t mean it won’t work out, but it’s a high risk staff

RE: Dilfer Staff - jaymay2525 - 01-23-2023 05:44 PM

It is a very fair take. Until we see something on the field, no one can answer that question

RE: Dilfer Staff - blazr - 01-23-2023 06:09 PM

As said above, fair take by The Athletic and concerns I still have. Dilfer is certainly inspiring, but you can’t make a clock tick by willpower alone. Also, the players know the background of the coaches. If there are mistakes made or continuing poor play do the wheels start getting wobbly?

RE: Dilfer Staff - BlazerDave - 01-23-2023 06:19 PM

(01-23-2023 06:09 PM)blazr Wrote:  As said above, fair take by The Athletic and concerns I still have. Dilfer is certainly inspiring, but you can’t make a clock tick by willpower alone. Also, the players know the background of the coaches. If there are mistakes made or continuing poor play do the wheels start getting wobbly?

We're UAB. Our wheels are always wobbling.

RE: Dilfer Staff - BlazerMatt - 01-23-2023 06:49 PM

It's a three year staff. After three years he's either been a home run hire and is off to greener pastures, or an unmitigated disaster and we are back to the drawing board. I just don't see us splitting the difference and being average.

RE: Dilfer Staff - blazers9911 - 01-23-2023 08:42 PM

(01-23-2023 06:49 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's a three year staff. After three years he's either been a home run hire and is off to greener pastures, or an unmitigated disaster and we are back to the drawing board. I just don't see us splitting the difference and being average.

This is the same way I’ve felt all along. If we were going to make this hire, we had to let him do it his way. We don’t know what will happen, and honestly, he probably doesn’t either right now.

RE: Dilfer Staff - The Answer UAB - 01-23-2023 09:38 PM

(01-23-2023 08:42 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(01-23-2023 06:49 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's a three year staff. After three years he's either been a home run hire and is off to greener pastures, or an unmitigated disaster and we are back to the drawing board. I just don't see us splitting the difference and being average.

This is the same way I’ve felt all along. If we were going to make this hire, we had to let him do it his way. We don’t know what will happen, and honestly, he probably doesn’t either right now.

I agree. It's either a sh!t show and back to highschool, or a really good hire. I would be very surprised to see him be just mediocre.

RE: Dilfer Staff - ATTALLABLAZE - 01-24-2023 08:46 AM

I see us just being bowl eligible at 6 or 7 wins in the new AAC with the new staff and lots of new faces at many positions. I think that is more realistic then a 10 win or a two or three win season right now. To me that would fall between a home run and a sh*t show. I suspect they will start out having growing pains and finish strong and we will have a more realistic view of our future.

RE: Dilfer Staff - UABFRENCHY - 01-24-2023 09:31 AM

A winner is always a winner ,,,,he is gonna be fine but the competition will be a lot better in AAC .so far it seem interesting ,,,we are looking at recruiting???? wow

RE: Dilfer Staff - blazers9911 - 01-24-2023 12:22 PM

(01-24-2023 08:46 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I see us just being bowl eligible at 6 or 7 wins in the new AAC with the new staff and lots of new faces at many positions. I think that is more realistic then a 10 win or a two or three win season right now. To me that would fall between a home run and a sh*t show. I suspect they will start out having growing pains and finish strong and we will have a more realistic view of our future.

I think that’s a successful first season. We were a .500 team in a lesser conference last year. We are changing all coordinators and breaking in new players at all kinds of positions. We also have new coaches and coordinators everywhere. I wouldn’t even consider a 4-5 win season a failure depending on if we improved as the season went on. It’s year two that will be the real test for me, unless he looks absolutely lost this upcoming season.