CSNbbs
Football Offseason - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: Football Offseason (/thread-960822.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Football Offseason - anti-zip - 05-22-2023 08:32 PM

Just throwing this out there... Purdue has two WRs in the portal. One that had over 700 yards two years ago then was academically ineligible last year then another that was in Alaimo's class but only had 2 catches over the last two years. Also they have a TE that hasn't recorded a stat in the portal.

RE: Football Offseason - Muskrat - 05-22-2023 08:48 PM

(05-22-2023 08:32 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Just throwing this out there... Purdue has two WRs in the portal. One that had over 700 yards two years ago then was academically ineligible last year then another that was in Alaimo's class but only had 2 catches over the last two years. Also they have a TE that hasn't recorded a stat in the portal.

Would be nice, but I fear that, for the most part, the only portal players KSU will get are those who no other FBS program offers.

RE: Football Offseason - Polish Hammer - 05-22-2023 08:54 PM

(05-22-2023 08:32 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Just throwing this out there... Purdue has two WRs in the portal. One that had over 700 yards two years ago then was academically ineligible last year then another that was in Alaimo's class but only had 2 catches over the last two years. Also they have a TE that hasn't recorded a stat in the portal.
The TE is from Middletown, OH, so they should be targeting him. As for the WRs, one flunked out and the other from Texas, so I wouldn’t expect us to pursue either one.

RE: Football Offseason - thanksjim - 05-24-2023 10:03 AM

MAC Championship odds according to FanDuel

Toledo +170
Ohio +300
Eastern Michigan +600
Buffalo +750
Miami OH +750
Central Michigan +1900
Northern Illinois +2800
Ball State +3000
Bowling Green +3300
Akron +4500
Western Michigan +4500
Kent State +10000

RE: Football Offseason - Polish Hammer - 05-24-2023 10:32 AM

What, +10000?!? Have they not seen the major recruiting battles we’ve recently won? 07-coffee3

RE: Football Offseason - Muskrat - 05-24-2023 02:22 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-steelers-rb-charged-with-manslaughter/ar-AA1bCs37?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=13b087a9b22f41a487db2e518d71349f&ei=14

Sad.

RE: Football Offseason - Proud pilot - 05-24-2023 02:32 PM

(05-24-2023 10:32 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  What, +10000?!? Have they not seen the major recruiting battles we’ve recently won? 07-coffee3
Wondering when they bring recruits in for a visit do they show them the new facility for the band?

RE: Football Offseason - ilovegymnast - 05-24-2023 02:35 PM

(05-24-2023 10:32 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  What, +10000?!? Have they not seen the major recruiting battles we’ve recently won? 07-coffee3

Sounds like a good a fun $10 bet.

RE: Football Offseason - anti-zip - 05-24-2023 10:01 PM

(01-16-2023 10:07 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  The thing that will be the most interesting to me, this off season, is how does the QB position shape up. As it stands right now, these appear to be our options in no specific order.

Devin Kargman - 3 years of eligibility left. Had his moments, but ultimately didn't show a lot as a freshman forced into action. Little to no mobility.

Jaren Lewis - 2 years of eligibility left. Transferred from Kansas State. Didn't play much at Kansas St. Was considered a Dual Threat QB as a recruit.

Tommy Ulatowski - 4 years of eligibility remaining. Walk-on that only played a half but oh what a half it was. Appeared to have pretty good mobility in that half we got to see.

Griffin Brewster - I believe he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. 2020 didn't count then between not playing in 2021 and being hurt in 2022 he should get a redshirt in there. Listed as a Pro style QB as a recruit. Hasn't been talked about much here since we all knew Schlee would take over after Crum and then he was hurt before the 2022 season started. I assume he'll be in the competition since he was going to be Schlee's backup. He has the edge of spending three years around Lewis and staff.

Chandler Galban - Again not sure on years. Listed as a Sophomore in 2022 and didn't play, so probably 3 years left? Guessing he's the least likely to be a factor for the starting job. Juco numbers imply he's a dual threat QB.

Dru Deshields - Incoming freshman. Recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL so he won't be a factor next year.

Fairly full QB room but really no clear leader to me. Seems like 2 pocket passers and 3 dual threat. Ideally your backup and your starter are the same style so you can run the same offense if there's an injury. So the mix makes that more difficult too. Will be very interesting to see what happens. A QB battle between 4+ guys would be something to see.

Or will we add a 7th QB to the roster?

Updating this. Galban transferred. I believe everyone else's situation is about the same. Add to the mix Mike Alaimo, 3 years of eligibility left, spent the last three years at Purdue.

Here's how they stack up on paper.

Mike Alaimo: 6'4", 225, 247Sports scored him at 0.9071 PRO coming out of HS.
Career Stats: 9-18 (50%), 74 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 91.8 rating, 8 rushes for 25 yards.

Devin Kargman: 6'3", 217, 247Sports scored him at 0.8659 QB coming out of HS.
Career Stats: 29-70 (41.4%), 348 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT, 88.8 rating, 7 rushes for -27 yards.

Jaren Lewis: 6'1", 205, 247Sports scored him at 0.8326 DUAL coming out of HS.
Career Stats: 12-23 (52.2%), 154 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 105.4 rating, 5 rushes for 3 yards.

Griffin Brewster: 6'2" 202, 247Sports scored him at 0.8268 PRO coming out of HS.
Career Stats: {None}

Tommy Ulatowski: 6'2" 181, 247Sports didn't score him.
Career Stats: 6-11 (54.5%), 102 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 162.4 rating, 4 rushes for 21 yards

Dru Deshields: 6'3", 180, 247Sports has him at a 0.8263 right now.
Career Stats: {Incoming Freshman}

Tough to know what to make of this jumble right now. I think from the outside looking in people would expect Alaimo to start and Lewis to be his backup. Alaimo only has a couple months to get acclimated. It seemed like Ulatowski was the top QB performer in the spring game, so maybe he has a slight edge right now? Who knows. One thing I'll say that does worry me about this group. Name the successful QBs we've had in the last maybe 30-40 years that were NOT dual threat? Spencer Keith and.... Spencer Keith? I've always felt it's tougher to build a complete offense at our level so it's more important for a QB that can improv when there's a breakdown. That may be something working against really this whole group. My guess would be we'll end up getting to know more than one of these guys this year.

RE: Football Offseason - thanksjim - 05-25-2023 06:53 AM

(05-24-2023 10:01 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 10:07 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  The thing that will be the most interesting to me, this off season, is how does the QB position shape up. As it stands right now, these appear to be our options in no specific order.

Devin Kargman - 3 years of eligibility left. Had his moments, but ultimately didn't show a lot as a freshman forced into action. Little to no mobility.

Jaren Lewis - 2 years of eligibility left. Transferred from Kansas State. Didn't play much at Kansas St. Was considered a Dual Threat QB as a recruit.

Tommy Ulatowski - 4 years of eligibility remaining. Walk-on that only played a half but oh what a half it was. Appeared to have pretty good mobility in that half we got to see.

Griffin Brewster - I believe he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. 2020 didn't count then between not playing in 2021 and being hurt in 2022 he should get a redshirt in there. Listed as a Pro style QB as a recruit. Hasn't been talked about much here since we all knew Schlee would take over after Crum and then he was hurt before the 2022 season started. I assume he'll be in the competition since he was going to be Schlee's backup. He has the edge of spending three years around Lewis and staff.

Chandler Galban - Again not sure on years. Listed as a Sophomore in 2022 and didn't play, so probably 3 years left? Guessing he's the least likely to be a factor for the starting job. Juco numbers imply he's a dual threat QB.

Dru Deshields - Incoming freshman. Recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL so he won't be a factor next year.

Fairly full QB room but really no clear leader to me. Seems like 2 pocket passers and 3 dual threat. Ideally your backup and your starter are the same style so you can run the same offense if there's an injury. So the mix makes that more difficult too. Will be very interesting to see what happens. A QB battle between 4+ guys would be something to see.

Updating this. Galban transferred. I believe everyone else's situation is about the same. Add to the mix Mike Alaimo, 3 years of eligibility left, spent the last three years at Purdue.

Career Stats: 9-18 (50%), 74 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 91.8 rating, 8 rushes for 25 yards.

Career Stats: 29-70 (41.4%), 348 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT, 88.8 rating, 7 rushes for -27 yards.

Career Stats: 12-23 (52.2%), 154 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 105.4 rating, 5 rushes for 3 yards.

Griffin Brewster: 6'2" 202, 247Sports scored him at 0.8268 PRO coming out of HS.

Career Stats: 6-11 (54.5%), 102 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 162.4 rating, 4 rushes for 21 yards

Tough to know what to make of this jumble right now. I think from the outside looking in people would expect Alaimo to start and Lewis to be his backup. Alaimo only has a couple months to get acclimated. It seemed like Ulatowski was the top QB performer in the spring game, so maybe he has a slight edge right now? Who knows. One thing I'll say that does worry me about this group. Name the successful QBs we've had in the last maybe 30-40 years that were NOT dual threat? Spencer Keith and.... Spencer Keith? I've always felt it's tougher to build a complete offense at our level so it's more important for a QB that can improv when there's a breakdown. That may be something working against really this whole group. My guess would be we'll end up getting to know more than one of these guys this year.

There's real potential at QB spot. Bring in the appropriate amount of OL and go from there. RB spot should be fine, not sure about WR.

RE: Football Offseason - Muskrat - 05-25-2023 07:11 AM

Deshields, I assume, is out for the season with a knee injury he suffered in late December playing basketball (he was their best basketball player, btw). He had ACL surgery.

RE: Football Offseason - Polish Hammer - 05-25-2023 07:26 AM

(05-25-2023 07:11 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  Deshields, I assume, is out for the season with a knee injury he suffered in late December playing basketball (he was their best basketball player, btw). He had ACL surgery.
The rehab will give him a chance to watch and learn, I also hope he rehabs and gets back to 100%. BTW, in keeping with the recurring theme, his only other D1 offer was from a 2-9 FCS program (which gives out 1/2 scholarships). We also beat out Clarion, Tiffin and Wheeling Jesuit. 04-cheers

Quote:Dru DeShields' dream to play football at the next level took another step when he verbally committed to Eastern Illinois University in early August.

His decision came during the preseason practice schedule prior to the start of his senior year with the West Branch Warriors.

Eastern Illinois, located in Charleston, is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference and competes in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision. Its Division I status was one of the major selling points.

"It was my only D1 full ride scholarship offer," DeShields said. "That was important."

RE: Football Offseason - CoachPMac - 05-25-2023 08:22 AM

(05-24-2023 10:01 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  

A look at their ratings from Rivals, which isn’t quite as liberal with their stars as 247:

Alaimo = (5.7) 3 star HS / (5.4) 2 star TP
Kargman = (5.4) 2 star
Lewis = (5.4) 2 star HS & TP
Brewster = (5.4) 2 star
Ulatowski = NR
Deshields = (5.3) 2 star

What a Rivals star rating means:
6.1 = Five-star prospect
6.0-5.8 = Four-star prospect
5.7-5.5 = Three-star prospect
5.2-5.4 = Two-star prospect

6.1 Franchise Player: considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 30-35 players overall, a potential first-team All American candidate and a player deemed to have first round NFL potential.

6.0-5.8 All American Candidate: considered one of the next-tier elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation’s top 300-325 prospects overall, a national All American candidate and a player deemed to have first to third round NFL potential

5.7-5.5 All Region Selection: considered among the region’s top prospects and generally among the nation’s top 800-850 prospects overall, a potential All-Conference candidate and a player deemed to have mid to low-end pro potential and ability to impact at the college level.

5.2-5.4 Low End FBS prospect: considered a mid-major prospect with limited pro potential and expected to contribute 1-2 years at a high level maximum or often as a role player.

RE: Football Offseason - Polish Hammer - 05-25-2023 09:02 AM

Let's face it, unless you're getting the P5 schools chasing you the amount of eyes on you that factor into these ratings are limited. A better barometer is which schools are also in on who you're in on. If you're beating the lower P5s or conference peers that is a good thing, if their only other D1 offers are actually D1AA (FCS), not so good. If a coach takes a flier on a guy because he really sought that diamond in the rough and thinks he may have been overlooked, which is very difficult in today's game (but possible), is one thing, but I can't help to think it seems like taking that occasional flier has been extended to the majority of the kids.

RE: Football Offseason - Muskrat - 05-25-2023 09:21 AM

Granted, Deshields is a long-shot, but from what I've heard he does have potential. I'm noy saying he is that "diamond in the rough", but he may have a shot.

RE: Football Offseason - CoachPMac - 05-25-2023 10:15 AM

(05-25-2023 09:02 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Let's face it, unless you're getting the P5 schools chasing you the amount of eyes on you that factor into these ratings are limited. A better barometer is which schools are also in on who you're in on. If you're beating the lower P5s or conference peers that is a good thing, if their only other D1 offers are actually D1AA (FCS), not so good. If a coach takes a flier on a guy because he really sought that diamond in the rough and thinks he may have been overlooked, which is very difficult in today's game (but possible), is one thing, but I can't help to think it seems like taking that occasional flier has been extended to the majority of the kids.

Parts of that statement are true. I can’t speak to the other recruiting services, but I can tell you the scout that covers the Midwest for Rivals sees many of the Midwest players in person at some point. He also coached football before coming over to Rivals. A number of players participate in Rivals camps and will receive ratings from there. Colleges will often pay Rivals for the camp film. How each schools decides to rate their recruiting board is up to them. QB is the hardest position to assess (because so much of it is mental) followed by the offensive line. Having the necessary physical characteristics is always the starting point.

Offers can be a good barometer, but sometimes a kid will shut down their recruitment after committing and could have received more offers. Other times they may only have an offer or two and just take the best one available. The other thing to consider is when those offers were made (which is not always easy to tell). For example, if a player received the offer as a sophomore, there is a chance that offer no longer stands as a senior.

I may have caused more confusion than help in this post. I apologize if that’s the case. Just wanted to shed a little light into how the recruiting/ratings work.

RE: Football Offseason - Polish Hammer - 05-25-2023 10:39 AM

(05-25-2023 10:15 AM)CoachPMac Wrote:  
(05-25-2023 09:02 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Let's face it, unless you're getting the P5 schools chasing you the amount of eyes on you that factor into these ratings are limited. A better barometer is which schools are also in on who you're in on. If you're beating the lower P5s or conference peers that is a good thing, if their only other D1 offers are actually D1AA (FCS), not so good. If a coach takes a flier on a guy because he really sought that diamond in the rough and thinks he may have been overlooked, which is very difficult in today's game (but possible), is one thing, but I can't help to think it seems like taking that occasional flier has been extended to the majority of the kids.

Parts of that statement are true. I can’t speak to the other recruiting services, but I can tell you the scout that covers the Midwest for Rivals sees many of the Midwest players in person at some point. He also coached football before coming over to Rivals. A number of players participate in Rivals camps and will receive ratings from there. Colleges will often pay Rivals for the camp film. How each schools decides to rate their recruiting board is up to them. QB is the hardest position to assess (because so much of it is mental) followed by the offensive line. Having the necessary physical characteristics is always the starting point.

Offers can be a good barometer, but sometimes a kid will shut down their recruitment after committing and could have received more offers. Other times they may only have an offer or two and just take the best one available. The other thing to consider is when those offers were made (which is not always easy to tell). For example, if a player received the offer as a sophomore, there is a chance that offer no longer stands as a senior.

I may have caused more confusion than help in this post. I apologize if that’s the case. Just wanted to shed a little light into how the recruiting/ratings work.
My point was trying to determine say the top 5 QBs from the elite campsmay be easy, but when determining the difference between QBs 25-99 could be extremely difficult so coming up with a .8659 rating doesn't tell me as much as what the peers thought of him. With P5 recruiting there are several people involved in the ratings while the G5 level there are very few eyes making up those ratings.

Kids may commit early, but in the current state of the game they never truly shut down recruiting as they will always wait to hear from somebody from a bigger, better, more desirable location and trade up. verbal commits never meant anything until pen met paper, now it doesn't even matter after that as the portal is easy to hit.

And as for the players no longer pulling those offers they got early in HS, I believe that was pointed out here in regards to one of our QBs who supposedly held P5 offers. There is no way he chose us over the likes of Maryland, Vandy, VaTech, Texas A&M, etc.

RE: Football Offseason - CoachPMac - 05-25-2023 11:13 AM

(05-25-2023 10:39 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(05-25-2023 10:15 AM)CoachPMac Wrote:  

My point was trying to determine say the top 5 QBs from the elite campsmay be easy, but when determining the difference between QBs 25-99 could be extremely difficult so coming up with a .8659 rating doesn't tell me as much as what the peers thought of him. With P5 recruiting there are several people involved in the ratings while the G5 level there are very few eyes making up those ratings.

Kids may commit early, but in the current state of the game they never truly shut down recruiting as they will always wait to hear from somebody from a bigger, better, more desirable location and trade up. verbal commits never meant anything until pen met paper, now it doesn't even matter after that as the portal is easy to hit.

And as for the players no longer pulling those offers they got early in HS, I believe that was pointed out here in regards to one of our QBs who supposedly held P5 offers. There is no way he chose us over the likes of Maryland, Vandy, VaTech, Texas A&M, etc.

I wanted to shed some light on how kids are rated. Many people assume how it works, yet have no experience and just make assumptions. I can certainly tell you from coaching for over a decade myself not all players are waiting for bigger and “better” offers. Does it happen? Absolutely, but it’s not a blanketed occurrence. Each situation is different. Many kids get what I consider good advice and take the offer where they feel comfortable with the school, coaching staff, and opportunity at playing time. That doesn’t always equal bigger and better. That being said, the elite 4 and 5 stars are obvious takes at P5, but I don’t think that’s who we are talking about. I can’t speak to any of these particular commitments as I do not know them, nor have I spoken with them. I’m not here to say who is or isn’t going to pan out, but I will say that Rivals is fairly accurate in their ratings. The .8659 rating is foreign to me and I am in the dark how 247 comes up with their ratings. All I know is they’ve made a good business decision with inflating the amount of 3 stars to get eyes on their product.

RE: Football Offseason - Proud pilot - 05-27-2023 11:20 AM

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/05/25/sean-lewis-charles-kelly-cu-buffs-football-deion-sanders-assistant-salaries-2023/#:~:text=Based%20on%20documentation%20provided%20by%20CU%20Boulder%20to,join%20the%20Buffs%20on%20a%20three-year%2C%20%242.7-million%20contract.
Doubled his salary and Colorado paid $750,000. buyout. I guess one could say the Colorado Athletic Department had a plan which they executed early in the coaching carousel search.

RE: Football Offseason - Polish Hammer - 06-01-2023 06:28 PM

These QB rankings have us 10th in the MAC and 109th overall which are higher than I would’ve expected.

https://collegefootballnetwork.com/top-college-football-quarterback-rankings-2023/