CSNbbs
COACHING CHANGE - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Football (/forum-340.html)
+------ Thread: COACHING CHANGE (/thread-960521.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

COACHING CHANGE - Buc76 - 11-29-2022 03:57 PM

Bucs will have a new OC next season. Now if we just had a new HC.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - peppersbro - 12-01-2022 11:23 AM

(11-29-2022 03:57 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Bucs will have a new OC next season. Now if we just had a new HC.

Anybody have an info on what OC candidates we may have on a short list?

RE: COACHING CHANGE - GoBucsGo - 12-01-2022 11:27 AM

(11-29-2022 03:57 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Bucs will have a new OC next season. Now if we just had a new HC.

Did you say the same thing after Sanders and the Bucs went 3-9 in 2019?

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Libhater1 - 12-02-2022 03:58 PM

(12-01-2022 11:27 AM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  

Did you say the same thing after Sanders and the Bucs went 3-9 in 2019?

I don’t think anyone did but the leadership of the two squads, particularly in pressers and on the sideline, demonstrated command and control by Sanders. I do not believe anyone feels that about the current HC. That being said, it was a positive sign he recognized the need to make a change at the OC role, a change most recognized was needed after week 3 or 4 when nobody, not even sure the rest of the staff, could tell what we were trying to do on offense.
He’s the head coach next year so we all want the team to succeed. The damage from lack of action and command and control is now a huge uphill battle as every all conference player is gone with a longer list of starters to come entering the portal. If we are to win any games next year it will be a portal built team where we have to convince talent to come on board. What’s that sales pitch to others look like if we couldn’t make it to those high performers that were here and for which would have been a much easier and safer path to stay put? Whatever culture, plan, sales pitch we are using is not working. Maybe it will work at the new portal entry level or with HS seniors is our hope.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - ncrrt08 - 12-10-2022 10:44 AM

Listened to Jay's podcast and he had about a 10 minute interview with Quarles. Not much came out of it except for a couple of items:

1. They expect to sign between 25 and 30 during this offseason
2. Coach is not sure if he will hire someone as an Offensive Coordinator. He will hire someone, but not sure of the role. He expects to take a much more active role with the offense moving forward.
3. He (Coach Quarles) just doesn't inspire a lot of excitement for the FB team. I get the "down to earth" persona...I feel Sanders had that persona as well, but at least he made me excited about the team.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - bucfan81 - 12-10-2022 12:31 PM

i just listened to it. Does not exactly inspire confidence. I agree that we need to bring in 25-30 players next year and I hope half of them are ready to play transfers. Our whole season will depend on it. I guess we will have to wait until February to see if our coaches can pull in the transfers. Fingers crossed.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc76 - 12-10-2022 04:11 PM

Listening to quarles, sounded like a man in over his head. Had to much cross over my desk, had to many philosophies, team didn't buy what we were selling, met with every team member, was surprised by some of the transfers, don't know if I'll hire an OC or not. I might be the OC. We might do it by committee. Gracious...wishy, washy.

We can only hope he lets the coaches that have handled the recruiting in the past, do it this time. We have never had a greater need for a really good class since football restarted.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Libhater1 - 12-14-2022 02:51 PM

(12-10-2022 04:11 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Listening to quarles, sounded like a man in over his head. Had to much cross over my desk, had to many philosophies, team didn't buy what we were selling, met with every team member, was surprised by some of the transfers, don't know if I'll hire an OC or not. I might be the OC. We might do it by committee. Gracious...wishy, washy.

We can only hope he lets the coaches that have handled the recruiting in the past, do it this time. We have never had a greater need for a really good class since football restarted.

A leader should never be surprised by defections and should have their pulse on the team and the needs. This was concerning at best. You don’t even need the best football coach as a HC, you need a leader that hires well and inspires a vision. Never bought into what he was trying to do? Tell us, what exactly were you attempting to do?

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Libhater1 - 12-20-2022 09:38 PM

(12-14-2022 02:51 PM)Libhater1 Wrote:  
(12-10-2022 04:11 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Listening to quarles, sounded like a man in over his head. Had to much cross over my desk, had to many philosophies, team didn't buy what we were selling, met with every team member, was surprised by some of the transfers, don't know if I'll hire an OC or not. I might be the OC. We might do it by committee. Gracious...wishy, washy.

A leader should never be surprised by defections and should have their pulse on the team and the needs. This was concerning at best. You don’t even need the best football coach as a HC, you need a leader that hires well and inspires a vision. Never bought into what he was trying to do? Tell us, what exactly were you attempting to do?

Heard Will Huzzie hit the portal today. Tell me that’s not true?

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc'ed_Up - 12-20-2022 09:43 PM

Yep it's true

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Libhater1 - 12-22-2022 05:10 AM

(12-20-2022 09:43 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  Yep it's true

I knew it was bad but when you scroll through twitter, I cannot believe the sheer numbers of players, talented players, that are leaving our system. Many entering the portal, many with eligibility that started just walking away. There is no way to interpret this season as anything but an unmitigated disaster and probably one of the “best to worst” turns I have ever seen in any program.
Sad to see but hopefully, somehow coach can sell some of the portal players to buy into whatever he is selling. Im still not sure what that is but open to someone explaining it.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc66 - 12-23-2022 11:27 AM

(12-22-2022 05:10 AM)Libhater1 Wrote:  
(12-20-2022 09:43 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  Yep it's true

I knew it was bad but when you scroll through twitter, I cannot believe the sheer numbers of players, talented players, that are leaving our system. Many entering the portal, many with eligibility that started just walking away. There is no way to interpret this season as anything but an unmitigated disaster and probably one of the “best to worst” turns I have ever seen in any program.
Sad to see but hopefully, somehow coach can sell some of the portal players to buy into whatever he is selling. Im still not sure what that is but open to someone explaining it.

Doesn’t look like he got what we need from the Portal. As for the freshmen, that has little meaning in today’s game. How many of them are committed to four years at ETSU, especially those who become starters? These transfers are essentially parallel transfers — no Power Five players. Anybody have an analysis of how we stacked up against the rest of the SoCon?

https://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2022-23/19366/quarles-announces-december-signing-class/

RE: COACHING CHANGE - bucfan81 - 12-23-2022 11:40 AM

I have heard rumors that Coach Downs our recruiting coordinator may be leaving. I hope this is not true. But if it is there is even more reason for the new AD to intervene before the program is totally destroyed if it is not too late already.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc76 - 12-23-2022 05:30 PM

Yes, he is gone, a huge loss.The current AD or a new AD would have no impact on his decision. He left for a better opportunity. The same reason the players entered the portal. They, like most anyone, want to improve their situation whether is work or play
The players from ETSU that have announced their new school, on paper, definitely improved their overall college experience. To compare the atlectic programs at North Carolina or Memphis to ETSU, there is no comparison.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - bucfan81 - 12-23-2022 05:54 PM

(12-23-2022 05:30 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Yes, he is gone, a huge loss.The current AD or a new AD would have no impact on his decision. He left for a better opportunity. The same reason the players entered the portal. They, like most anyone, want to improve their situation whether is work or play
The players from ETSU that have announced their new school, on paper, definitely improved their overall college experience. To compare the atlectic programs at North Carolina or Memphis to ETSU, there is no comparison.

I think it is more of the disaster of a head coach. Coach Downs could have left for other places four or five years ago. He has been here for the last 7 years and for some reason was happy to stay. Until we hired a high school coach. In any event it is a big loss for us.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc66 - 12-23-2022 06:43 PM

(12-23-2022 05:30 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Yes, he is gone, a huge loss.The current AD or a new AD would have no impact on his decision. He left for a better opportunity. The same reason the players entered the portal. They, like most anyone, want to improve their situation whether is work or play

As an ETSU supporter, I’m just supposed to roll over and be pleased with being USED for ‘better opportunities’? Nah — if this is what ETSU athletics has become, with a big boost from the Portal, forget it. This has always been a problem, but of late accelerated into UGLY and will ultimately cost ETSU big time as donors become fed up and disappear.

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Libhater1 - 12-23-2022 09:44 PM

(12-23-2022 06:43 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

As an ETSU supporter, I’m just supposed to roll over and be pleased with being USED for ‘better opportunities’? Nah — if this is what ETSU athletics has become, with a big boost from the Portal, forget it. This has always been a problem, but of late accelerated into UGLY and will ultimately cost ETSU big time as donors become fed up and disappear.

I will never say that opportunities at power 5 schools would be passed up for a round at our university. That being said, if there was a vision, many of these players would have stayed. H-LL, 62 and 75 and a few other starters didn’t even enter the portal, they just had enough of this nonsense and lack of leadership and vision and just left? Has anyone seen any social media or other communication from these guys(I heard there were 5 or 6 in that same circumstance, just walked away from the game with eligibility left?

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc76 - 12-24-2022 01:41 PM

If the supporters, fans and media would band together and demand and agree to support a better Football program, that would be a game changer. As long as you tolerate the current situation, no improvements to the stadium, no growth conference, etc, ETSU football and basketball will not be the program you envision.

I don't understand why its so hard to see what our previous conference members and closely related universities have done or are in the process of doing to improve their programs. Its not top secret.

If DR Noland and the BOT have made the decision for ETSU to remain a mid to low-level FCS program, then it is what it is. The football and basketball has regressed and will contiue to be what it has become, a flash in the pan, good teams occasionally, continually loosing our best talent to the portal.

Me personally, I will stop worring about a situation I can't change. I will no longer pay the high prices for season tickets for football and MBB. I'll go on line, pick and choose the games I want to attend. I'm not going to pay premium prices for low level FCS and D2 games.

I understand that me not supporting ETSU ATHLETICS in the manner I have in the past will not be beneficial to ETSU, but ETSU has not provided what they promised 6 years ago, improving the stadium and becoming the best FCS program. ETSU, IMO, has lost their way. They have no vision and no plan, as far as I know, to improve the Football and Basketball beyond what it is today.

ETSU ATHLETICS can hire and fire, have an occasional good team, just like in the past, but it won't be sustainable, just like the past.You learn from the past, your mistakes and your successes but ETSU seems to be on the same Athletics path it has always traveled, a path of least resistance, a path with no growth, a path that students, fans, supporters, businesses and media will sporadically support.

5 years of entertaining, winning MBB, 3 out of 4 years of the same with FOOTBALL. Look at it now. Both programs coming off terrible seasons, attendance down, talent transfering, coaches leaving, programs in total rebuild. As someone else posted, "my how we have fallen".

Can ETSU ATHLETICS become revelent? I believe that question has to be answered by Dr Noland

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc66 - 12-24-2022 03:03 PM

(12-24-2022 01:41 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  If the supporters, fans and media would band together and demand and agree to support a better Football program, that would be a game changer. As long as you tolerate the current situation, no improvements to the stadium, no growth conference, etc, ETSU football and basketball will not be the program you envision.

I don't understand why its so hard to see what our previous conference members and closely related universities have done or are in the process of doing to improve their programs. Its not top secret.

If DR Noland and the BOT have made the decision for ETSU to remain a mid to low-level FCS program, then it is what it is. The football and basketball has regressed and will contiue to be what it has become, a flash in the pan, good teams occasionally, continually loosing our best talent to the portal.

Me personally, I will stop worring about a situation I can't change. I will no longer pay the high prices for season tickets for football and MBB. I'll go on line, pick and choose the games I want to attend. I'm not going to pay premium prices for low level FCS and D2 games.

I understand that me not supporting ETSU ATHLETICS in the manner I have in the past will not be beneficial to ETSU, but ETSU has not provided what they promised 6 years ago, improving the stadium and becoming the best FCS program. ETSU, IMO, has lost their way. They have no vision and no plan, as far as I know, to improve the Football and Basketball beyond what it is today.

ETSU ATHLETICS can hire and fire, have an occasional good team, just like in the past, but it won't be sustainable, just like the past.You learn from the past, your mistakes and your successes but ETSU seems to be on the same Athletics path it has always traveled, a path of least resistance, a path with no growth, a path that students, fans, supporters, businesses and media will sporadically support.

5 years of entertaining, winning MBB, 3 out of 4 years of the same with FOOTBALL. Look at it now. Both programs coming off terrible seasons, attendance down, talent transfering, coaches leaving, programs in total rebuild. As someone else posted, "my how we have fallen".

Can ETSU ATHLETICS become revelent? I believe that question has to be answered by Dr Noland

Stanton radically answered that question in 2003. How will Noland answer it in 2023? Bottom line - always is and always will be, MONEY — are there now new people with new money who would pay for a major ETSU athletic upgrade? Is there a multi-billionaire or three out there looking for a project? If someone stepped up and offered to expand the football stadium to 30,000 seats, build a 10,000 seat basketball arena on campus, triple the athletic budget, and pay good coaches to stay — where would ETSU take its athletic teams to play?

RE: COACHING CHANGE - Buc76 - 12-24-2022 10:29 PM

Unfortunately 66, you always inflate the numbers. It doesn't take Billionaires, or triple the budget, or 30,000 seats or an on campus 10,000 seat arena to upgrade the football and basketball programs to a level that would be highly accepted.[/u]