CSNbbs
Will Cignetti stay? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Will Cignetti stay? (/thread-960466.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Will Cignetti stay? - Xeonon - 11-28-2022 06:17 PM

I'm seeing numerous posters here and Reddit suggesting Cignetti is getting multiple looks by multiple schools, most noticably Liberty. I really can't see him leaving us for a CUSA school, no matter how deep Liberty's pockets go. That would be worse than Houston to ECU in my opinion. What say you?

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - JMU2004 - 11-28-2022 06:24 PM

Nothing shocks me anymore, but I doubt Cig chases Liberty money.

Cincy might make sense.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - JMURocks - 11-28-2022 06:30 PM

Hard to say, but much more upside down the road if he gets JMU into the CFP. Liberty won't be going anytime soon with CUSA and the soft schedule they've assembled. I think he is more strategic minded with his career, but we'll find out.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - Longhorn - 11-28-2022 06:32 PM

(11-28-2022 06:24 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Nothing shocks me anymore, but I doubt Cig chases Liberty money.

Cincy might make sense.

In today’s world we shouldn’t be shocked by anything, but I’m with you, but only more convinced Cignetti is not leaving JMU for another G5 that has deeper pockets, especially Liberty. The cultural fit isn’t there. Perhaps Liberty should aim for Art Briles! 03-lmfao

The only school I’d be concerned about losing Cignetti to would be WVU, but that job isn’t going to come open anytime soon, say within the next 2 years. By then Cig would be about 65, and I seriously doubt any P5 would hire a 65 year old HC.

Will Cignetti stay? - hburg - 11-28-2022 06:32 PM

I would be surprised if he moved on. He seemed to really want to take JMU to the CFP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - 94computerguy - 11-28-2022 06:33 PM

I'm going to assume he's at least happy with the money he's getting from JMU, and would only leave for at least double the salary. So, for the sake of discussion, I think a lateral move with a raise wouldn't be happening.

Then, the only way to go is up. Well, what schools have brighter futures than JMU? I can't think of anything in G5 that would have a higher ceiling. A P5 that's in a deep rut would be interested, but he doesn't have the pedigree for a serious blue-blood like Texas A&M. Would Va Tech want him? He'd fit the bill for a full build. Would he leave JMU for that? I suppose he might, but I think it'd have to be a job like that.

Also, all indications are that, unlike previous coaches, he's pretty content to finish his career here. He's almost 60, and a long run here would be a perfectly great capstone to his career.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - KickItToScotty - 11-28-2022 06:33 PM

Freeze was making over $4 million at Liberty, Cig would be passing up a ton of money to turn them down. I also don't know if he'd see the conference as a negative, it could be a good opportunity to dominate and to possibly go to the CFP after running the table... We'll see, losing him to Liberty would be sickening.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - JMURocks - 11-28-2022 06:39 PM

There's absolutely no way CUSA lands the CFP slot, their SOS will destroy any opportunity for that. You can't play a bunch of schools like FIU, NMSU, JSU and KSU and think that resume matters. It would be like an NEC or MEAC team in FCS hoping to land an at large seed.

This year, the only schools in contention for the NY6 slot were AAC, MWC, and SBC schools. That slot will be the CFP slot when it expands.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - Longhorn - 11-28-2022 06:43 PM

(11-28-2022 06:33 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  I'm going to assume he's at least happy with the money he's getting from JMU, and would only leave for at least double the salary. So, for the sake of discussion, I think a lateral move with a raise wouldn't be happening.

Then, the only way to go is up. Well, what schools have brighter futures than JMU? I can't think of anything in G5 that would have a higher ceiling. A P5 that's in a deep rut would be interested, but he doesn't have the pedigree for a serious blue-blood like Texas A&M. Would Va Tech want him? He'd fit the bill for a full build. Would he leave JMU for that? I suppose he might, but I think it'd have to be a job like that.

Also, all indications are that, unlike previous coaches, he's pretty content to finish his career here. He's almost 60, and a long run here would be a perfectly great capstone to his career.

He’s 61, turns 62 in June.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - Dukes94 - 11-28-2022 06:43 PM

To quote Jane’s Addiction…nothing’s shocking.

But if Cig left for Liberty, I’d be hopelessly jaded forever.

He doesn’t sound like he’s leaving, or even entertaining the idea. His career moves have said purpose over paycheck to me. He left Saban to coach at his dad’s former gig at IUP for what I’m sure was peanuts.

You know what was nice? Lane Kiffin saying he wasn’t leaving Mississippi. And then, he didn’t leave. Effing A.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - Xeonon - 11-28-2022 06:43 PM

(11-28-2022 06:39 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  There's absolutely no way CUSA lands the CFP slot, their SOS will destroy any opportunity for that. You can't play a bunch of schools like FIU, NMSU, JSU and KSU and think that resume matters. It would be like an NEC or MEAC team in FCS hoping to land an at large seed.

This year, the only schools in contention for the NY6 slot were AAC, MWC, and SBC schools. That slot will be the CFP slot when it expands.

Don't forget Soft Houston State 04-cheers

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - KickItToScotty - 11-28-2022 06:49 PM

(11-28-2022 06:39 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  There's absolutely no way CUSA lands the CFP slot, their SOS will destroy any opportunity for that. You can't play a bunch of schools like FIU, NMSU, JSU and KSU and think that resume matters. It would be like an NEC or MEAC team in FCS hoping to land an at large seed.

We'll see. Looking at Liberty's OOC the next several years their strategy is clearly to play a schedule where they can run the table and make the CFP have to decide if they're going to leave out a 13-0 team for an SBC, MWC, or AAC team with a loss or two. No one put up that kind of performance this year to compare to the schools that were in contention.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - bridgeforthduke - 11-28-2022 06:59 PM

I would be surprised if he chose Liberty. An institution that has a ton of money due to the way it sells religion and wades into culture wars doesn't seem like a great fit for him. I can only see it making sense if he was just chasing money to add to his bank before he retires. Otherwise it is smarter for him to wait for a more attractive job to open.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - JMURocks - 11-28-2022 07:15 PM

(11-28-2022 06:49 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

We'll see. Looking at Liberty's OOC the next several years their strategy is clearly to play a schedule where they can run the table and make the CFP have to decide if they're going to leave out a 13-0 team for an SBC, MWC, or AAC team with a loss or two. No one put up that kind of performance this year to compare to the schools that were in contention.

The CFP rankings this year make it pretty clear to me a 13-0 team with a total crap schedule is not getting in. Again, the comparison would be awarding an at large to an NEC team. Simply not happening.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - bcp_jmu - 11-28-2022 07:29 PM

get that man a raise...quickly

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - MarginalDuke - 11-28-2022 07:47 PM

Here’s the thing that many forget, Cignetti has seen how the sausage is made from several vantage points. He has a good thing going at JMU and my guess is that CFP expansion really helps us retain him. Money will be hard but I think we give him a pretty darn good opportunity legacy wise.

His dad took over WVU with a losing record through three years and had to step down due to cancer. He then returns to coach for 19 years at IUP and becomes a HoFer.

His brother has bounced around the NFL and P5 ranks as a coordinator or QB coach for two decades.

He has seen P5 life first hand between Pittsburgh, NC State, and Alabama. You rise up to that level and friends can become very fickle. Harsin is an example of a very successful G5 HC who went up to the P5 and was immediately vilified by the Auburn boosters and fans. I just don’t see the lights of the P5 attracting him. He’s clearly a coach’s coach and I think at the end of the day, JMU gives him a pretty good path to achieve a legacy if that’s what he’s chasing.

That said, I will also be willing to eat crow tomorrow

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - Hart Foundation - 11-28-2022 07:50 PM

Liberty, no. If Cincy offers, how can you turn down a program on solid ground and entering the P5 Big 12? You can’t when they throw $3 million per year at you.

No matter what JMU pays, they simply cannot compete financially with what P5 jobs pay.

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - olddawg - 11-28-2022 07:55 PM

Cignetti mentioned having a cocktail or two to celebrate the successful season. Doesn't Liberty frown on alcohol?

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - bcp_jmu - 11-28-2022 08:11 PM

(11-28-2022 07:55 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Cignetti mentioned having a cocktail or two to celebrate the successful season. Doesn't Liberty frown on alcohol?

haha, he is also catholic which isn't quite Liberty.... I saw that regarding alchohol....and they mentioned what his drink of choice is - Diet Coke and Vodka.

what?? still respect him...

One thing we may not know - he and his family may already be financially comfortable, which really changes the whole dynamic

RE: Will Cignetti stay? - JMURocks - 11-28-2022 08:19 PM

(11-28-2022 08:11 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 07:55 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Cignetti mentioned having a cocktail or two to celebrate the successful season. Doesn't Liberty frown on alcohol?

haha, he is also catholic which isn't quite Liberty.... I saw that regarding alchohol....and they mentioned what his drink of choice is - Diet Coke and Vodka.

what?? still respect him...

One thing we may not know - he and his family may already be financially comfortable, which really changes the whole dynamic

It's Diet Tonic water and Vodka, and two of them 04-cheers