CSNbbs
WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Conference Talk (/forum-322.html)
+---- Thread: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? (/thread-960076.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-02-2022 11:16 PM

(12-02-2022 11:10 PM)BellarmineGrad Wrote:  This, and the other thread(s) in the same vein, are interesting to follow. How, if at all, do any of you think the shuffling might affect Bellarmine?

I can't claim to be an insider, but I know some people in the administration, and I am fairly certain that BU is not among the programs that are "hot and bothered" to join C-USA. If the ASUN blows up soon, I can see BU pushing to join the Horizon or maybe trying to woo the MAC (already an affiliate in field hockey, the Knights play those schools every now and then in a variety of sports). Long term, I suppose BU might dream of the MVC or something.

I think Bellarmine has a lot of options. Not having football can be a blessing in D1 quite honestly.

The rumor is that the ASUN might end up being a basketball-focused conference with all of the non-football schools in the WAC and ASUN. It could span from Seattle to the Atlantic. Possibly, not much changes and maybe EKU and APSU maybe even UCA move on and are replaced.

All I know is that Bellarmine is continuing to draw the attention of folks, most recently Calipari, and are an integral part of the ASUN Conference right now.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-03-2022 02:32 AM

(12-02-2022 08:15 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 07:57 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 05:54 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  This WACSUN new FB only FCS league is an excellent idea BUT...

If EKU, SFA, and AP would go FBS at the first invite--- it does not bode well (to survive) from the start.

Similar to what happened with ASUN football.

Maybe they should just stick with the scheduling alliance for the near future and re-evaluate in two or three years.

It is also about keeping your options open. Potentially more than one path to FBS.

Very true. Even Matt Brown said the remaining ASUN schools were the main pool left for CUSA to draw from. I guess the WAC is making their own play for the ASUN4.

They (WAC) can make any play they want-- But no FCS school that really wants FBS is going to take a LONG SHOT WACsun over one of the established G5 FBS leagues.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - BellarmineGrad - 12-03-2022 04:00 AM

(12-02-2022 11:16 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 11:10 PM)BellarmineGrad Wrote:  This, and the other thread(s) in the same vein, are interesting to follow. How, if at all, do any of you think the shuffling might affect Bellarmine?

I can't claim to be an insider, but I know some people in the administration, and I am fairly certain that BU is not among the programs that are "hot and bothered" to join C-USA. If the ASUN blows up soon, I can see BU pushing to join the Horizon or maybe trying to woo the MAC (already an affiliate in field hockey, the Knights play those schools every now and then in a variety of sports). Long term, I suppose BU might dream of the MVC or something.

I think Bellarmine has a lot of options. Not having football can be a blessing in D1 quite honestly.

The rumor is that the ASUN might end up being a basketball-focused conference with all of the non-football schools in the WAC and ASUN. It could span from Seattle to the Atlantic. Possibly, not much changes and maybe EKU and APSU maybe even UCA move on and are replaced.

All I know is that Bellarmine is continuing to draw the attention of folks, most recently Calipari, and are an integral part of the ASUN Conference right now.

Appreciate it. Wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but was curious whether anyone had a thought. Interesting times, to say the least.

As far as football, I do wish that BU had gone the FCS non-scholarship Pioneer League route, rather than this "sprint" pigskin thing.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - DavidSt - 12-03-2022 01:39 PM

Bellarmine does have Sprint Football, but they could go no-scholarship route for Pioneer league to build their team up like Campbell and Mercer did before they joined a conference. Louisville might be attractive.

Now, I think UCA and SFAU or Tarleton State could be number 11 and 12 for CUSA. UCA is in the Little rock tv market which is like a 30 minutes drive to Conway. CUSA is looking more at tv markets to try and replaced what they lost.

Tennessee State and Jackson State are the two programs being talked about going FBS. I think CUSA might become the tv market conference while WACSUN might be for the schools that do not have the population wise. I could see Utah Tech might get to MWC someday. They want to build up their stadium as plan.

Another school I heard rumors of is Central Oklahoma to the WAC might helped somewhat. There are plans for a 20,000 seat stadium. They are expanding their stadium to 12,000 now.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - eku05 - 12-03-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:They (WAC) can make any play they want-- But no FCS school that really wants FBS is going to take a LONG SHOT WACsun over one of the established G5 FBS leagues.

I agree, but here's my only thought. All of these schools potentially involved in the WAC move know they could get a C-USA spot, but it could also fall through and leave them standing there alone. Depending on what they learn about what's possible, but what if they band together for safety in numbers and sign an iron-clad, long-term GOR that makes in fiscally prohibitive to leave?

It limits other moves you can make, but it also ensures that you won't be left behind by the others. Schools MIGHT be willing to make that tradeoff depending on a number of other factors.

It would also be interesting to see how C-USA reacted to something like that, or even rumors of something like that. Right now they are operating from a position of power. They're in no rush to expand because they perceive that the options available will still be available anytime they wanted them. But what if they weren't? What if C-USA is stuck at 10 with most of the interested and viable options gone? What if the American or the Mountain West coming calling for a school or two? You could see another situation where five or six schools are left wondering how they'll pick up the pieces.

Am I banking on any of this? No, but I think any conference that genuinely believes it's safe is playing with fire while standing on a diving board above a pool filled with gasoline.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-03-2022 05:38 PM

The WACSUN league will be decimated by departures before it has a chance to "take root".

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-03-2022 05:53 PM

(12-03-2022 05:38 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  The WACSUN league will be decimated by departures before it has a chance to "take root".

Lol. It’s keeping you up at night isn’t it. I’ll bet you dream lists of why this is just impossible!

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - JSUCleburneslim - 12-03-2022 06:05 PM

(12-03-2022 05:53 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-03-2022 05:38 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  The WACSUN league will be decimated by departures before it has a chance to "take root".

Lol. It’s keeping you up at night isn’t it. I’ll bet you dream lists of why this is just impossible!

It's just facts brother.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-03-2022 06:10 PM

(12-03-2022 06:05 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  

It's just facts brother.

Lol. It’s opinion until proven otherwise.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - JSUCleburneslim - 12-03-2022 08:14 PM

(12-03-2022 06:10 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-03-2022 06:05 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  

It's just facts brother.

Lol. It’s opinion until proven otherwise.

Everthing that leads to that obvious conclusion are facts.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - whupemall - 12-05-2022 02:34 PM

I believe any WAC-ASUN merger would be football only. And even if 1-2 teams leave, they should still have plenty of teams leftover to be a viable FCS conference.

I don't think any of this football nonsense will prove to be a negative for teams like Bellarmine. There are plenty of non-football programs in the ASUN who aren't going anywhere. And once you take football off the table, the pool of potential expansion candidates becomes much larger.

The biggest danger is if the ASUN gets distracted (or appears to its non-football members to be distracted) chasing FBS dreams, it may make some teams question whether they're still a philosophical fit for the conference. If any of them do start moving on, it may be time to hit the panic button.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - MercerFan - 12-09-2022 10:31 AM

Link:
ESPN: Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say

Looks like 9 members of the ASUN and WAC are going to rattle the FBS cage. If this goes through, the ASUN non-football (+ Stetson!) can refocus. Become the best (and ONLY!) D1 non-football league that has Florida.

Good luck on the FBS hunt! It will at least give the message boards a lot of chatter.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-09-2022 12:01 PM

(12-09-2022 10:31 AM)MercerFan Wrote:  Link:
ESPN: Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say

Looks like 9 members of the ASUN and WAC are going to rattle the FBS cage. If this goes through, the ASUN non-football (+ Stetson!) can refocus. Become the best (and ONLY!) D1 non-football league that has Florida.

Good luck on the FBS hunt! It will at least give the message boards a lot of chatter.

Are heads exploding in here yet? Lol.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-09-2022 12:12 PM

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - Hootyhoo - 12-09-2022 12:31 PM

It's exciting they are trying this. Hope to see all of you in fbs in a couple years. Hopefully we get some wacsun/CUSA bowl games since so much of CUSA has wacsun history.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-09-2022 12:36 PM

(12-09-2022 12:31 PM)Hootyhoo Wrote:  It's exciting they are trying this. Hope to see all of you in fbs in a couple years. Hopefully we get some wacsun/CUSA bowl games since so much of CUSA has wacsun history.

That would be cool!

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-09-2022 01:08 PM

From the article:

The schools have signed a "multi-party term sheet agreement" to commit to the new league. Sources familiar with the agreement said the schools "desire to form a partnership for the development and operation of a football-only conference."

The league hasn't picked a name but has narrowed the options. In the founding documents, it's referred to as "ASUN-WAC Football," which won't be the name moving forward.

The programs from the two conferences are familiar with each other after partnering in 2021 and 2022 to gain automatic qualification for the FCS playoff.

The reasoning for the new league is, according to sources, "greater certainty in scheduling and recruiting" and a clear pathway to the highest levels of college football. Also, the schools expect increased revenue through a more lucrative broadcast contract and increased guarantee-game revenue because the games would count toward bowl eligibility if they became an FBS league.

The agreement includes the goal to "immediately explore expansion opportunities," sources said. League officials have begun early conversations with at least four other high-profile FCS football programs, sources said.

Multiple presidents from the league informed NCAA officials of the schools' collective interest in forming a new FBS league, sources said. The meeting happened within the past month.

The process of becoming the 11th FBS league is not certain because there is currently a moratorium in NCAA Division I on single-sport conferences. Ending that moratorium would require a vote from the NCAA Division I board of directors or a creative solution for league affiliation.

Sources with knowledge of the agreement are optimistic of a pathway.

"We feel very confident in talking to NCAA officials that they'd support this," a source said. "There's no grounds for them to stand on to deny it."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35216756/atlantic-sun-wac-teams-pairing-move-fbs-sources-say

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - Tmac13 - 12-09-2022 01:14 PM

(12-09-2022 12:36 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 12:31 PM)Hootyhoo Wrote:  It's exciting they are trying this. Hope to see all of you in fbs in a couple years. Hopefully we get some wacsun/CUSA bowl games since so much of CUSA has wacsun history.

That would be cool!

I really hope it works out. Sounds like the Presidents feel like they have a good plan..

Grow some thick skin..As a Kennesaw State guy I can tell you that the insults and cheap shots will be flying in from all directions..

Also, don't get mad if CUSA steps in to take a couple of your schools before y'all get started. This may force their hand to go ahead and grow to 12..

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - lion1983 - 12-09-2022 01:29 PM

(12-09-2022 01:14 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  

That would be cool!

I really hope it works out. Sounds like the Presidents feel like they have a good plan..

Grow some thick skin..As a Kennesaw State guy I can tell you that the insults and cheap shots will be flying in from all directions..

Also, don't get mad if CUSA steps in to take a couple of your schools before y'all get started. This may force their hand to go ahead and grow to 12..

They already have plans for 14. And a contract will be signed for all involved, so CUSA shouldn't waste time trying to pull any in. CUSA can stay at 10.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-09-2022 02:31 PM

(12-09-2022 01:14 PM)Tmac13 Wrote:  

That would be cool!

We've endured it already on this board. LOL.