CSNbbs
WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Conference Talk (/forum-322.html)
+---- Thread: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? (/thread-960076.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-20-2022 07:30 PM

You can't have an FBS football-only conference--you need a minimum of eight all-sports members.

If this was allowed-- some schools would have ALREADY formed a more regional FB only FBS conference. There has been plenty of time and opportunity for this to occur. All the shifting and moving over the last twenty years with the SBC, C-USA, old FBS FB WAC, MW, and others? You think the WACSUN is the first group to float this idea?

Here is the rule showing an invite to an FBS conference is required:

20.6.2.1.1 Eligibility for Reclassification. Before a Football Championship Subdivision institution may apply for reclassification to the Football Bowl Subdivision, the institution must receive a bona fide invitation for membership from a Football Bowl Subdivision conference or a conference that previously met the definition of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference (see Bylaw 20.02.9). (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Yes-- Liberty received a waiver to go FBS as an Independent.

So, I guess schools who wish could try that route if they received a waiver.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - lion1983 - 12-20-2022 07:49 PM

(12-20-2022 07:30 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  You can't have an FBS football-only conference--you need a minimum of eight all-sports members.

If this was allowed-- some schools would have ALREADY formed a more regional FB only FBS conference. There has been plenty of time and opportunity for this to occur. All the shifting and moving over the last twenty years with the SBC, C-USA, old FBS FB WAC, MW, and others? You think the WACSUN is the first group to float this idea?

Your right with current rules...

The only thing I can imagine, is there have been lobbying, since things are about to change anyway, to change the FBS to have football only conferences...

In reality, there would be at most 2. The Southeast and MidWest. I don't see many others or enough schools to have another conference. It would be this one and a mix of Big Sky and MVFC schools. Delaware, NCA&T and maybe one or two more may try to join, but other than those schools, who else is willing to go FBS?

20.6.2.1.1 Eligibility for Reclassification. Before a Football Championship Subdivision institution may apply for reclassification to the Football Bowl Subdivision, the institution must receive a bona fide invitation for membership from a Football Bowl Subdivision conference or a conference that previously met the definition of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference (see Bylaw 20.02.9). (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-20-2022 08:17 PM

A map of the new conference.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - EKUSteve - 12-20-2022 08:49 PM

(12-20-2022 07:30 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  You can't have an FBS football-only conference--you need a minimum of eight all-sports members.

Right. Not sure if anyone had this type of model in mind.
If so, it never went public.

Lots of discussions occrring on this, and it is sounding, at this point, the NCAA is not resisting this model. Every school involved will still need the required number of FBS sports. Of the current lineup only UNA needs to add sports to meet the FBS requirement.

Right now it is set up for FCS next year. This project still has, at a minimum, an FCS year and a two year transition.

We can debate all we want to, but at the end of the day it is what the ASUN-WAC and the NCAA agree upon with this model. So far discussions have led to optimism that this model will be approved.

Same with discussions on the workings of the CFP and the ASUN-WAC involvement in that.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-20-2022 09:05 PM

I assume we will add two women’s teams to offset the 22 additional football scholarships. For whatever reason, we discontinued women’s indoor/outdoor track and field when the transition started and instead added beach volleyball and women’s golf. I think it would be easy enough to start those two track teams back up.

I wish we’d add women’s lacrosse. The ASUN already sponsors it and it seems like it’s rising in popularity.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - LexColonel - 12-20-2022 09:29 PM

(11-27-2022 11:30 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 08:02 PM)eku05 Wrote:  
Quote:The point is from what reporters said is that C-USA had KSU at the top of the list far as a tenth team and C-USA officials were impress with KSU when they came to the campus. Conversations with UCA were preliminary and conversations regarding EKU went farther to the presentation stage. This is the reason why EKU and Tarletion State presented at CUSA's basketball torment.

That much is believable, and I was aware that those presentations were happening even before they actually took place. I certainly wouldn't be mad if C-USA went to twelve and EKU/Tarleton were the pair.

Keep in mind jonsey there was running around pissed at the world holler the sky was falling up unto the week KSU was invited.

Location is entirely in ekus favor.
You tell us about facilities has EKU prepared itself to be chosen? Jax St had the same problems EKU faces and we suffer through the same anxieties over this same issue. The last time around EKU had beat us out of a spot in the sbc that we neither got.
We've been building and remodeling buildings/facilities for over 10 years all over campus academic, residence halls, recreation, and athletic. And still more in the works. Yet we were still surprised we were chosen.

CUSA will likely go to twelve with no movement. With likely realignment right around the corner the odds are even greater.
It stinks to wait though. I get the frustration and have to say KSU didn't have to suffer.

Hot damnnnnn… I cannot believe how those folks who have never been on EKU’s campus have the knowledge about what EKU had done/not done. Pretty feed up with it all, particularly the KSU fan that does not know the difference between “their” and “there”, yet has all the answers regarding EKU. I hope this FBS move by the WAC-ASUN is successful just to shut up these new recipients of the golden CUSA invite, who know who is “worthy” and who is not. What a bunch of head cases!

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-20-2022 10:06 PM

(12-20-2022 08:49 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  

Lots of discussions occrring on this, and it is sounding, at this point, the NCAA is not resisting this model. Every school involved will still need the required number of FBS sports. Of the current lineup only UNA needs to add sports to meet the FBS requirement.

Right now it is set up for FCS next year. This project still has, at a minimum, an FCS year and a two year transition.

We can debate all we want to, but at the end of the day it is what the ASUN-WAC and the NCAA agree upon with this model. So far discussions have led to optimism that this model will be approved.

Same with discussions on the workings of the CFP and the ASUN-WAC involvement in that.

You kinda missed my point. Over the last twenty years (or more) with all the shifting, turmoil,etc.--maybe you just are not aware of G5 (and P5) shifts and re-shifts. The cut-throat grabs. The MANY changes. I'm talking about the late 90's and early 2000's and of course clear up to now.

THEREFORE:

Schools would have ALREADY put together a more regional FB ONLY conference for savings, rivalries, and flexibility. OR just to get something to be possible or work.

WHY have they not? Simple--- because they KNEW it was not allowed under NCAA rules. They were required to follow the guidelines in order to survive.

There have been numerous chances for this to happen-- yet it has not.

Could they change these rules? Of course. So far they have not.

"Same with discussions on the workings of the CFP..." Not so fast--- the CFP organization is separate (and more powerful) than the NCAA. They will do WHATEVER the P5 wants-- including reducing or totally cutting off the G5.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - jones682 - 12-20-2022 10:55 PM

(12-20-2022 09:29 PM)LexColonel Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 11:30 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 08:02 PM)eku05 Wrote:  
Quote:The point is from what reporters said is that C-USA had KSU at the top of the list far as a tenth team and C-USA officials were impress with KSU when they came to the campus. Conversations with UCA were preliminary and conversations regarding EKU went farther to the presentation stage. This is the reason why EKU and Tarletion State presented at CUSA's basketball torment.

That much is believable, and I was aware that those presentations were happening even before they actually took place. I certainly wouldn't be mad if C-USA went to twelve and EKU/Tarleton were the pair.

Keep in mind jonsey there was running around pissed at the world holler the sky was falling up unto the week KSU was invited.

Location is entirely in ekus favor.
You tell us about facilities has EKU prepared itself to be chosen? Jax St had the same problems EKU faces and we suffer through the same anxieties over this same issue. The last time around EKU had beat us out of a spot in the sbc that we neither got.
We've been building and remodeling buildings/facilities for over 10 years all over campus academic, residence halls, recreation, and athletic. And still more in the works. Yet we were still surprised we were chosen.

CUSA will likely go to twelve with no movement. With likely realignment right around the corner the odds are even greater.
It stinks to wait though. I get the frustration and have to say KSU didn't have to suffer.

Hot damnnnnn… I cannot believe how those folks who have never been on EKU’s campus have the knowledge about what EKU had done/not done. Pretty feed up with it all, particularly the KSU fan that does not know the difference between “their” and “there”, yet has all the answers regarding EKU. I hope this FBS move by the WAC-ASUN is successful just to shut up these new recipients of the golden CUSA invite, who know who is “worthy” and who is not. What a bunch of head cases!

It is funny how you are "feed up" but I have said 1000 times that I think EKU would eventually be in the FBS. LOL

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - EKUSteve - 12-21-2022 08:38 AM

(12-20-2022 10:06 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  
(12-20-2022 08:49 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  

You kinda missed my point. Over the last twenty years (or more) with all the shifting, turmoil,etc.--maybe you just are not aware of G5 (and P5) shifts and re-shifts. The cut-throat grabs. The MANY changes. I'm talking about the late 90's and early 2000's and of course clear up to now.

THEREFORE:

Schools would have ALREADY put together a more regional FB ONLY conference for savings, rivalries, and flexibility. OR just to get something to be possible or work.

WHY have they not? Simple--- because they KNEW it was not allowed under NCAA rules. They were required to follow the guidelines in order to survive.

There have been numerous chances for this to happen-- yet it has not.

Could they change these rules? Of course. So far they have not.

"Same with discussions on the workings of the CFP..." Not so fast--- the CFP organization is separate (and more powerful) than the NCAA. They will do WHATEVER the P5 wants-- including reducing or totally cutting off the G5.

You apparently are misunderstanding me.

I know that the NCAA and the CFP are separate entities.

People have been discussing this conference model with the NCAA and are optimistic it will go through.

People are also working on the CFP part as well. Our AD discussed that in the podcast he was on when Thamel broke this.

I know it hasn't happened before. Does not mean it cannot happen now.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-21-2022 07:23 PM

If any of this "goes thru" it will require more than one major rule change.

The NCAA and CFP will have a lot of pressure from their long time existing members to not budge the status quo.

They don't have to do or change anything-- simply keep going as things now exist.

Discussions do not equal action.

There are SO MANY things in this plan that are faulty. It appears to be a desperate attempt to make something happen.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-21-2022 08:44 PM

(12-21-2022 07:23 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  If any of this "goes thru" it will require more than one major rule change.

The NCAA and CFP will have a lot of pressure from their long time existing members to not budge the status quo.

They don't have to do or change anything-- simply keep going as things now exist.

There are SO MANY things in this plan that are faulty. It appears to be a desperate attempt to make something happen.

Yet, not one single person from any entity you mention has said anything negative about it. You don't hear Greg Sankey speaking out about it. That's all it would take to put the idea to rest. But, nada.

Any G5 officials speaking out about it?

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - EKUSteve - 12-21-2022 09:27 PM

(12-21-2022 07:23 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  If any of this "goes thru" it will require more than one major rule change.

So what? Why do you care? You are in CUSA and is not your concern. Why are you spending so much time on this board? You keep acting like something has to happen now.

We aren't going to come to any agreement so let this play out over the next couple of years and we'll see how it goes. Meantime, enjoy the CUSA sandbox you are in.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - jones682 - 12-21-2022 10:56 PM

(12-21-2022 09:27 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  

So what? Why do you care? You are in CUSA and is not your concern. Why are you spending so much time on this board? You keep acting like something has to happen now.

We aren't going to come to any agreement so let this play out over the next couple of years and we'll see how it goes. Meantime, enjoy the CUSA sandbox you are in.

As a KSU fan I am still in this conference, therefore, do you think that this will hold? You think these schools would not turn down an invite to an established CFP revenue C-USA? C-USA is the reason why you all have to combine conferences in the first place.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-22-2022 02:19 AM

(12-21-2022 10:56 PM)jones682 Wrote:  

As a KSU fan I am still in this conference, therefore, do you think that this will hold? You think these schools would not turn down an invite to an established CFP revenue C-USA? C-USA is the reason why you all have to combine conferences in the first place.

Only for a few more days in football.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - jones682 - 12-22-2022 06:01 AM

(12-22-2022 02:19 AM)unalions Wrote:  

KSU is still in this conference for the other sports until 2024. KSU have been in it nearly 20 years.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - jones682 - 12-22-2022 06:08 AM

(12-22-2022 06:01 AM)jones682 Wrote:  

Funny how I was not replying to you.

KSU is still in this conference for the other sports until 2024. KSU have been in it nearly 20 years.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - lion1983 - 12-22-2022 01:45 PM

This has been a plan before KSU and JSU joined CUSA...

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - unalions - 12-22-2022 01:59 PM

(12-22-2022 06:01 AM)jones682 Wrote:  

KSU is still a member of the ASUN but ASUN Football ceases to exist on Jan. 1, 2023. It is being replaced by the ASUN-WAC Football Partnership and KSU isn't included in that. The Owls will be an FCS Independent within a few days.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - eku05 - 12-22-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:WHY have they not? Simple--- because they KNEW it was not allowed under NCAA rules. They were required to follow the guidelines in order to survive.

Here's one discussion point we haven't stumbled on to yet. Perhaps what is going to be approved is not the general idea of football only conferences, but rather a joint venture between two specific leagues. Perhaps one of the stipulations will be that all members of the football conference must be full members of either the WAC or ASUN.

That would answer your "why not" question.

RE: WAC-ASUN FB full merger?? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-23-2022 12:25 AM

(12-22-2022 02:22 PM)eku05 Wrote:  
Quote:WHY have they not? Simple--- because they KNEW it was not allowed under NCAA rules. They were required to follow the guidelines in order to survive.

Here's one discussion point we haven't stumbled on to yet. Perhaps what is going to be approved is not the general idea of football only conferences, but rather a joint venture between two specific leagues. Perhaps one of the stipulations will be that all members of the football conference must be full members of either the WAC or ASUN.

That would answer your "why not" question.

IF I am understanding your point correctly...

That would mean that the EITHER the ASUN4 would have to eventually join the WAC for ALL sports-- OR-- the WAC5-6 would need to become ALL sport members of the ASUN. And since the WAC holds the theoretical "FBS dormancy card" it seems necessary that the ASUN4 would be the ones taking ALL their sports West.

IF that is what you are saying-- I agree. I've been trying to say this from the start weeks ago but may not have used the right words.

IF that is NOT what you are saying-- fine - just re-explain. Thanks.