CSNbbs
Great teams find ways to win , while others play not to win - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Great teams find ways to win , while others play not to win (/thread-959818.html)

Great teams find ways to win , while others play not to win - Springboromark - 11-19-2022 09:02 PM

Ohio State (win against NW in Chicago , another today against Maryland, and against Penn St. at Happy Valley).

UM win today against Illinois and earlier against Indiana when they trail in the 2nd half in Bloomington. TCU win against Baylor, they been doing that all year coming back in the 4th quarter.

Then there are coaches that play not win. How many times do you see a team that is a head by slimmest margins and instead of running their offensive sets, decide to play safe by keeping the ball on ground. This, despite the defense having 8 players in the box. This happen late in the 4th quarter in the TCU/Baylor game today.

On the defensive side, rushing only 3 players in a prevent defense, instead of playing your normal baseline defense. I guess coaches would call this playing it safe, I call it playing not to lose. What I remember about former UT Coach Anstuz(sp?) is , he played gutsy by going for it on 4th down on numerous occasions. Defensively, his teams were top notch.

RE: Great teams find ways to win , while others play not to win - MotoRocket - 11-20-2022 09:35 AM

(11-19-2022 09:02 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Ohio State (win against NW in Chicago , another today against Maryland, and against Penn St. at Happy Valley).

UM win today against Illinois and earlier against Indiana when they trail in the 2nd half in Bloomington. TCU win against Baylor, they been doing that all year coming back in the 4th quarter.

Then there are coaches that play not win. How many times do you see a team that is a head by slimmest margins and instead of running their offensive sets, decide to play safe by keeping the ball on ground. This, despite the defense having 8 players in the box. This happen late in the 4th quarter in the TCU/Baylor game today.

On the defensive side, rushing only 3 players in a prevent defense, instead of playing your normal baseline defense. I guess coaches would call this playing it safe, I call it playing not to lose. What I remember about former UT Coach Anstuz(sp?) is , he played gutsy by going for it on 4th down on numerous occasions. Defensively, his teams were top notch.

You have a different memory about his defenses than I do. When he was the DC, I would agree. As the head coach, his defenses kept getting worse and worse. Remember a guy named Lou West who was the DC under Amstutz?