CSNbbs
[NEWS] B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: [NEWS] B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. (/thread-959274.html)

B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - CrimsonPhantom - 11-12-2022 04:05 PM

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - UofMTigerTim - 11-12-2022 04:14 PM

Horrible! Completely avoidable. The guy flying the P-63 doomed them all.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Attackcoog - 11-12-2022 04:26 PM

OMG. Wow. Thats very sad. I hope everyone somehow makes it out of that alive. Thats a pair of historical aircraft that are definitely lost forever. Im shocked by how that air frame just completely separated from the wings.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - MileHighBronco - 11-12-2022 04:34 PM

I wonder which B-17 it was. To my knowledge, there were 11 airworthy B-17s in the world and I've personally seen and photographed 8 of them.

Truly tragic. While no info has been released, it appears to not be a survivable crash. The P-63 sheared off the tail of the B-17.

My prayers to the families of those I'm sure were lost.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Chappy - 11-12-2022 06:39 PM

Wow. I hope the area where they landed was free of spectators.

So sad.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Chappy - 11-12-2022 06:45 PM

From this angle you can see it land near a runway not far from another plane that had just landed... yikes.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - JRsec - 11-13-2022 03:18 AM

(11-12-2022 04:34 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I wonder which B-17 it was. To my knowledge, there were 11 airworthy B-17s in the world and I've personally seen and photographed 8 of them.

Truly tragic. While no info has been released, it appears to not be a survivable crash. The P-63 sheared off the tail of the B-17.

My prayers to the families of those I'm sure were lost.

We lost the Nine of Nine a couple a years ago. It crashed due to mechanical failure.

The Sentimental Journey is still flying.

So very sad. The Bomber crew did nothing wrong. The P-63 pilot came in too close and way too hot.

I witnessed a crash of an F106 at a graduation exercise for soloing pilots in the 60's. A mechanic left a tool in the hydraulic steering area. As the plane took off with the instructor and the top graduate the angle of climb caused the tool to shift, and the plane just nosed in. You never forget!

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Niner National - 11-13-2022 07:16 AM

(11-12-2022 04:26 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  OMG. Wow. Thats very sad. I hope everyone somehow makes it out of that alive. Thats a pair of historical aircraft that are definitely lost forever. Im shocked by how that air frame just completely separated from the wings.

Everyone died unfortunately.

When I first saw the headline yesterday, it didn’t say this happened in Dallas. My mom lives two miles from an airport in NC that was having a WWII air show yesterday and we were sitting outside watching them fly over. At first I thought this had happened out there.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Attackcoog - 11-13-2022 03:27 PM

Apparently, the visibility from a P-63 cockpit is not the best and the angle (from above and in a hard bank) is probably the worst view from most any cockpit. The planes were doing a parade orbit around the airfield with bombers and fighters. The bombers just fly by low and the fighters do barrel rolls and stuff. One analysis Ive seen believes the P-63 simply got going too fast. That speed caused it to start to catch up with the P-51 in front of it so it opened its orbit a bit to keep the right spacing and used a hard bank to come back into its proper path. Unfortunately, that deviation to a wider orbit took into the path of the B-17 that was in a position that would have been hard for the P-63 pilot to see until it was too late.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - natibeast2.0 - 11-13-2022 04:51 PM

Terrible. Have family history with the B-17

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - tigtoodawg - 11-13-2022 05:51 PM

Saw the initial video, and wondered if it was a medical thing. From one angle, it looked that something was amiss. The second one shows me differently. And those poor kids heard in the second video...

So sad for the victims, their families and those that witnessed it in person. They will all be in my prayers tonight. I just hope it was quick for the victims.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - umbluegray - 11-13-2022 06:06 PM

This was the same B-17 and crew that was at the Mid-South Air Show in Memphis this past Father's Day weekend -- the Texas Raiders.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - Mr_XcentricK - 11-13-2022 07:11 PM

(11-13-2022 05:51 PM)tigtoodawg Wrote:  Saw the initial video, and wondered if it was a medical thing. From one angle, it looked that something was amiss. The second one shows me differently. And those poor kids heard in the second video...

So sad for the victims, their families and those that witnessed it in person. They will all be in my prayers tonight. I just hope it was quick for the victims.

So sad for everyone involved. The video with the little girl saying, "was that supposed to happen?" was heart stopping.

RE: B-17 bomber and a smaller plane collide at Dallas airshow. - CardFan1 - 11-13-2022 10:13 PM

I have friends here in Louisville that flew on that exact B17 back in June when They were here for an Airshow. She posted photos on FB earlier today. So sad and could have been avoidable. Prayers for Their Families and Coworkers.